It's a 2-for-3 Thursday at Rams Park: PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
It's a 2-for-3 Thursday at Rams Park
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_4abaf786-233d-5fa6-9e78-0a95d25db296.html

On a busy day at Rams Park, the Rams won two and lost one.

Offensive guard Rodger Saffold finally signed a contract — and yes, he signed it with the Rams. So did linebacker Jo-Lonn Dunbar.

But say good-bye to quarterback Kellen Clemens, who agreed to terms on a two-year deal with the San Diego Chargers.

Meanwhile, guards Davin Joseph (Tampa Bay) and Daryn Colledge (Arizona) completed free-agent visits Thursday but left without contracts. Both remain under consideration by the Rams, according to team officials.

Saffold’s Oakland ordeal resulted in a happy ending in St. Louis when he signed a five-year, $31.7 million deal late Thursday afternoon. There have been reports that $19.5 million of the contract is guaranteed; that’s not exactly right. It assumes a couple of roster bonuses are paid along the way. In any event, all guaranteed money comes in the first three years of the contract.

There is also $4 million of additional money that can be earned through incentives, so the contract can max out at nearly $36 million. In addition, Saffold can void the contract after the third and fourth years of the deal. It’s his option, but he must meet certain incentives to trigger the option clause.

The contract signed Thursday by Saffold was very similar to the last deal offered by the Rams on Saturday, with a few tweaks. That’s why the Rams and Saffold’s agents were able to move so quickly on a deal Wednesday night after the Oakland Raiders nullified their agreement by saying Saffold failed his physical.

A report on the San Francisco Chronicle website (SFGate.com) said the Raiders failed Saffold because of a torn labrum in his shoulder and that he needed immediate surgery. But Alan Herman, one of Saffold’s agents, told the Post-Dispatch on Wednesday night that Saffold was informed by a Raiders doctor that he had passed his physical.

Rams executive vice president Kevin Demoff reiterated to the Post-Dispatch on Thursday evening that the Rams saw nothing in Saffold’s medical records or physical examinations to make them think there was a problem with the shoulder.

As for the highly unlikely scenario of landing Saffold on the rebound — after he had agreed to a $42.5 million deal with Oakland, Demoff said, “The credit goes to Jeff (Fisher), Les (Snead), and the coaching staff for how they approached this when Rodger left (for Oakland). They all wished him well.”

In other words, they burned no bridges. So when the deal collapsed in Oakland, Saffold had no hard feelings for the Rams, and vice versa. As a result, the Rams were able to retain the services of Saffold, their oft-stated No. 1 free agent priority.

“Sometimes you catch a break,” Demoff said.

So Saffold is back as the team’s starting right guard, the position he played so well over the second half of 2013. The team has called an 11 a.m. press conference today to officially announce Saffold’s return.

Not long after leaving Rams Park on Thursday, Saffold sent out several messages of gratitude on his Twitter account. Among them:

_ “To #RamsNation fans I have always appreciated you all and the feedback has been tremendous! I must say I’m excited to be home and fight 4 u!”

_ ”Let it be known that I am all in for the Rams! I am excited to play ball here and I’m happy to be home! Let’s get a championship.”

Later Thursday evening, a couple of hours after the Saffold signing, Dunbar got into the act by signing a two-year deal worth up to $3.5 million. It was a tough 2013 season for Dunbar, who was suspended the first four games of the season for violating NFL policy on performance-enhancing drugs.

Once he returned to action, he had a reduced role compared to his 2012 season. In switching from weakside to strongside linebacker, he came off the field in the Rams’ nickel and dime packages which meant he was on the field only 35-40 percent of the time.

The fact that Gregg Williams is now the Rams’ defensive coordinator didn’t hurt Dunbar’s chances of staying, because during three of Dunbar’s four seasons in New Orleans Williams was his defensive coordinator.Dunbar is a feisty, aggressive, collision player. He adds an emotional spark to the defense, and to say he is well-liked by his teammates would be understatement. He’s the kind of player that helps breed team chemistry.With Dunbar now under contract, every member of the Rams’ starting front seven returns in 2014.

As for Clemens, his departure to San Diego seemed like it came out of the blue, but he had several teams interested, to the point where he was off the free-agent market in just three days. Not bad for a career backup. Obviously people around the league took notice of his work replacing the injured Sam Bradford over the final nine games.

The Rams were interested in re-signing him, but it would’ve been for only one year according to Clemens. With the extra year and extra money ($3 million total) from San Diego, Clemens gets at least the potential of a more security.

Clemens made $870,000 last season on a one-year deal.

Alan

Legend
"So Saffold is back as the team’s starting right guard, the position he played so well over the second half of 2013. The team has called an 11 a.m. press conference today to officially announce Saffold’s return."
I hope this is the last of this controversy.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
I'm very pleased with the Saffold and Dunbar signings. We are in a favorable position now to draft whoever we choose. #RamNation I'm hyped!
As for Clemens, I wish him nothing but success. I think he will be replaced effectively with a late, developmental pick so no worries there.

"So Saffold is back as the team’s starting right guard, the position he played so well over the second half of 2013. The team has called an 11 a.m. press conference today to officially announce Saffold’s return."

If we end the controversy by saying that he could play either.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
I would love to see us gain a starter or at the very least a contributing backup. Just retaining 2 existing players is great but I would love to see progress.

Alan

Legend
Rams and Gators looking for shortcuts:
If we end the controversy by saying that he could play either.
But would it be correct. Doesn't he have to play a position before you can say he can play a position?

Sum1

Hall of Fame
You're the only person making it a controversy.

Howard Balzer says he's aged to play LG. Jim Thomas says RG. Both are duly noted.

I say I'm glad he's playing as a Ram, whichever side it is.

Alan

Legend
Sum1BTRthnU pointing out how difficult my task is:
You're the only person making it a controversy.
Thanks for noticing all my hard work. It's very tough to debate with yourself but I'm up to the task. I need some more coffee though. :coffee: :coffee: :coffee:

But would it be correct. Doesn't he have to play a position before you can say he can play a position?

Not really, he could play DB if we put him there, he may not be very good (unlike either OG spot) but he'd play it.

Alan

Legend
So you and I could play LOG too then. I'd want a multi year deal with a no trade clause and a personal introduction to all the cheerleaders.
images

Plus an XL Veltung jersey.
upload_2014-3-14_8-38-15.jpeg

jap

Legend
Beetlejuice is capable of playing either tackle or guard position. Jake Matthews can play all five OL positions plus the long snapper position. Greg Robinson played LT in college and should be able to transition quickly to LG in his rookie season. Eventually, he should be able to play both RT and RG, perhaps even in his rookie season with dedicated work. However, the shift to the right side of the ball requires more coaching and self determination on his part.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I am still amazed that the Rams got both these Ram UFA's signed. I could not be happier:D Both of these players have issues both both have shown they are big plus's when they are in the lineup. These two will help Snead in the draft....lets him have more freedom to do what he has shown he does well.

As far as where Rodger Saffold will play I do not care as long as he plays one of the OG posts and is not considered the swing OT period. I would prefer that RS be consider an "Emergency Only Swing OT". That means that the Rams must draft an official true Swing OT in order to keep the 6-4 1/2 330 plus pounder RS doing what he does best destroying interior DL'ers! I really do believe that RS if given a choice would prefer LEFT OG but knows that is not his decision here with the wise Boudreau and will just leave that alone.

In truth if for an example the Rams did sign Right OG Davin Joseph then the we would get an indicator as to where RS will start. Another element that comes into play is who Snead draft another example if Gerald Robinson was the selection it would be a natural easy insertion of Rookie Gerald Robinson into the left OG post where he could learn the NFL wedged between NFL veteran starters Jake Long & Scott Wells. That sure looks to be a conformable place to operate from. Thus RS would return back to ORG next to Barksdale. I do not think Gerald Robinson is a Swing OT whereas prospect Jake Matthews is!

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Beetlejuice is capable of playing either tackle or guard position. Jake Matthews can play all five OL positions plus the long snapper position. Greg Robinson played LT in college and should be able to transition quickly to LG in his rookie season. Eventually, he should be able to play both RT and RG, perhaps even in his rookie season with dedicated work. However, the shift to the right side of the ball requires more coaching and self determination on his part.

Greg played LOG in high school and didn't move to ROT while at Auburn. He'd be comfortable at guard.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Thanks for noticing all my hard work. It's very tough to debate with yourself but I'm up to the task. I need some more coffee though. :coffee: :coffee: :coffee:

Come on down to my office...we have a coffee service. :)

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
Hey Sum, I know this is OT but when are you off to Italy for that honeymoon?