It begs the question

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

oldnotdead

Legend
Cameron DaSilva's interview with Sean McVay:
" Sean McVay was asked on Tuesday whether Sloman’s lower trajectory was something the Rams scouted before the draft, and he indicated that they were aware of it. It’s definitely something that, especially now with just some of the technology that you have in terms of measuring the apex of these kicks or even just once it gets to the line of scrimmage – what’s that height compared to the norm? Those are things that typically I haven’t had to look at over the last couple of years, but that is something that we were in tune with,” he said. “It was a little bit lower than what is the average and I think that’s where we’ve seen that reflected in kicks getting blocked. "

Okay, so why did they draft him? Anyone who knows kicking knows that inaccuracy is one thing but low kicks are an animal of a completely different nature. It reflects a far more difficult flaw to correct. One that simply can't be corrected in a shorten camp and during the season. It proves beyond all doubt that Sloman didn't win the competition. That some other pressure was in play to keep Sloman.

Cameron DaSilva (regarding Austin MacGinnis)
Sean McVay “He was a guy that it was really closely contested, between all three of those guys throughout camp, but Austin had consistent accuracy,” McVay said. “And then you talk about some of the things that have led to us getting things blocked this season, he gets great height immediately on his kicks, especially when you’re in some of those ranges that we want to be smart about – deciding to be able to kick field goals there and so, that was more of a reflection of some of the things that he had done... "

Okay so tell me again how Sloman won the competition with consistently low kicks and only 55% accuracy in TC? Bonamego has experience in coaching kickers. He of all people understands exactly what I've been saying all along. If he didn't want Sloman he should have argued against him. But all the fingers point to him actually being the motivation to keep Sloman.

This plays into things I've been critical of the coaching staff. Where subordinate coaches seem to have a lot of sway with McVay. From Kromer's simplistic o-line schemes which have subsequently been rectified by O'Connell to this whole Sloman debacle. It's clear McVay knew of Sloman's issue all along but was poorly advised about the true meaning of that kind of kicking flaw.

On a side note, the offensive line has a really bad flaw that IMO will be picked up SOON by DC's. Their execution of the fake sweep with a naked boot in the opposite direction isn't played the same as their actual outside zone on a run play. This flaw also extends to the jet sweep when it's actually handed off. It's why that action is increasingly being stuffed. The flaw is that a normal outside zone with a handoff to the RB is executed differently. I made this observation weeks ago but it's clear from the way Chicago played the jet sweep handoffs that they have noted the difference.

The blocking execution on a normal RB outside zone handoff is executed with a vertical concept. Both the jet sweep handoff and the bootleg are executed with a horizontal concept. Chicago generally played the jet sweep handoff like they knew it was coming. In fact, IMO it was a factor (besides Mundt's blown block) in Wood's fumble. In a vertical concept, the linemen push the defenders off the LOS while the horizontal concept is simply sweeping them horizontally in the desired direction. The vertical creates holes, the horizontal depends upon the d-line, and the LBs losing gap control.

A SS or LB observing that will begin to cover that naked boot if they don't change it's blocking execution. Frankly, I'm amazed they haven't done it thus far. Again it comes down to coaching. That's the way Kromer is coaching it and it's simply wrong. O'Connell needs to clean that up quickly.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I asked the same question about scouting Sloman kicks. I was in disbelief when he won the kicking competition. But we will never know for sure who had the influence to give him a go.

I agree that the Bears seemed to have a read on the jet sweep. It worked a few times. Hopefully the coaches looked at film and asked themselves why.

Stl2La

Hall of Fame
Was on board with the Sloman criticism but then you just couldn’t help yourself with the kromer stuff. I’m not seeing what you’re seeing overall(jet sweeps I will concede could be an issue) and it’s quite confusing to me. Probably won’t reply to anymore posts of this nature(not that you care or should) but I gotta tap out at some point lol. Good luck in your quest to get our oline coach fired...

DeaconJones

Rookie
Sloman was loman in the pre-season competition but I can only presume he was cheapest, thus giving us cap space. It didn't make sense to me otherwise.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Dude isnt on the team anymore and still starting new threads about him? Jeesh
They liked him, he didnt work out, they moved on
End of story

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
Guess what? No one has to give you an answer. They did what they did. Move on.

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I saw a thread started by you...I thought to myself..."maybe this will be the one where he is positive"....burned myself with that assumption. Lol

Nah, I kid. I knew you would be bitching about something.

Your post are well thought out, well written and you clearly are a knowledgeable fan that does his research. But, part of fandom, in my opinion, is supporting your team...even blindly at times and having faith. The way you post would make someone believe we are 1-6 following several shitty seasons. This isnt 2010. We are well coached. We have terrific players. We were all confused by Sloman, but we will never know why.

Every teams tendencies are figured out. That isn't the issue. The issue is...will Mcvay make the changes quickly. I have that blind faith that he will.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
Maybe our special teams coordinator is only 5'7" and he wanted someone shorter than him on the team, so he could feel better about himself.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Well, Sloman was very good collegiately and made some huge kicks, carrying Miami of Ohio to a MAC Title and a 7th round pick was no big deal especially when they acquired those picks with draft day trades.

Overall, based on the reports I was shocked Sloman won the competition and felt they would go with MacGinnis because he was the one most were not paying attention to and Hajrullahu seem to miss a bunch of kicks late.

In the end, they went with the guy they drafted and I was fine with the decision, however, I'm glad Forbath was available and I look forward to him being the Ram kicker for the next several years.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
The Rams hired a new Special Teams coach. There is zero chance he wasn't the primary evaluator of who the Rams would draft at kicker. Bottom line is they missed the low trajectory in the evaluation.

College is one thing, but like McVay also mentioned once you show a weakness NFL teams load up for it in this case by sticking taller linemen in the middle to keep their hands up and increase block odds. This is why sometimes players look good for a while until there's a "book" on them.

Strike one for Bonamego. And a fucking big strike as well. That shit was down the middle with runners in scoring position IMO. And he'd better hope his teams continue to improve because they started off lookin like ass.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think they kept Sloman because they drafted him - not because they wanted to be right, but because that comes with a super cheap 4 year deal attached.

With one of the other two, they probably would have been cheap and probably would have been RFAs, but I can see using that as a tiebreaker

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This plays into things I've been critical of the coaching staff. Where subordinate coaches seem to have a lot of sway with McVay. From Kromer's simplistic o-line schemes which have subsequently been rectified by O'Connell to this whole Sloman debacle. It's clear McVay knew of Sloman's issue all along but was poorly advised about the true meaning of that kind of kicking flaw.

On a side note, the offensive line has a really bad flaw that IMO will be picked up SOON by DC's. Their execution of the fake sweep with a naked boot in the opposite direction isn't played the same as their actual outside zone on a run play. This flaw also extends to the jet sweep when it's actually handed off. It's why that action is increasingly being stuffed. The flaw is that a normal outside zone with a handoff to the RB is executed differently. I made this observation weeks ago but it's clear from the way Chicago played the jet sweep handoffs that they have noted the difference.

The blocking execution on a normal RB outside zone handoff is executed with a vertical concept. Both the jet sweep handoff and the bootleg are executed with a horizontal concept. Chicago generally played the jet sweep handoff like they knew it was coming. In fact, IMO it was a factor (besides Mundt's blown block) in Wood's fumble. In a vertical concept, the linemen push the defenders off the LOS while the horizontal concept is simply sweeping them horizontally in the desired direction. The vertical creates holes, the horizontal depends upon the d-line, and the LBs losing gap control.

A SS or LB observing that will begin to cover that naked boot if they don't change it's blocking execution. Frankly, I'm amazed they haven't done it thus far. Again it comes down to coaching. That's the way Kromer is coaching it and it's simply wrong. O'Connell needs to clean that up quickly.

I'm going to make one last effort here. You're incorrect about Kromer/O'Connell, you're incorrect about the scheme, and you're mistaken on the "flaw." Outside-zone plays are not executed with "vertical concepts." OLs move horizontally/laterally off the snap. It is inside-zone plays that use the "vertical concepts" (and initial double teams). The entire point of the outside zone is to get defenders moving laterally, allow the HB to press the LOS, and then give him the option of attacking the edge, planting and going, or cutting back against the grain if the defenders over-pursue.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nN_1TF6btCY

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
The Rams hired a new Special Teams coach. There is zero chance he wasn't the primary evaluator of who the Rams would draft at kicker. Bottom line is they missed the low trajectory in the evaluation.

College is one thing, but like McVay also mentioned once you show a weakness NFL teams load up for it in this case by sticking taller linemen in the middle to keep their hands up and increase block odds. This is why sometimes players look good for a while until there's a "book" on them.

Strike one for Bonamego. And a fucking big strike as well. That shit was down the middle with runners in scoring position IMO. And he'd better hope his teams continue to improve because they started off lookin like ass.

A really poor decision to overlook an obvious mechanical flaw in the kid's kicking form. You are absolutely correct imo about how badly it reflects on Bonamego's judgement.

gogoat1

Pro Bowler
Name
Troy
Still wish we gave the guy from Canada a shot, he might still be here.
Is it just me, but I would like to see a Ram kick a 70 yard er. All those years of seeing GZ have it in him but never doing it is still with me.

dang

Legend
" Sean McVay was asked on Tuesday whether Sloman’s lower trajectory was something the Rams scouted before the draft, and he indicated that they were aware of it. It’s definitely something that, especially now with just some of the technology that you have in terms of measuring the apex of these kicks or even just once it gets to the line of scrimmage – what’s that height compared to the norm? Those are things that typically I haven’t had to look at over the last couple of years, but that is something that we were in tune with,” he said. “It was a little bit lower than what is the average and I think that’s where we’ve seen that reflected in kicks getting blocked. "

Okay, so why did they draft him? Anyone who knows kicking knows that inaccuracy is one thing but low kicks are an animal of a completely different nature. It reflects a far more difficult flaw to correct. One that simply can't be corrected in a shorten camp and during the season. It proves beyond all doubt that Sloman didn't win the competition. That some other pressure was in play to keep Sloman.

Sean McVay “He was a guy that it was really closely contested, between all three of those guys throughout camp, but Austin had consistent accuracy,” McVay said. “And then you talk about some of the things that have led to us getting things blocked this season, he gets great height immediately on his kicks, especially when you’re in some of those ranges that we want to be smart about – deciding to be able to kick field goals there and so, that was more of a reflection of some of the things that he had done... "

Okay so tell me again how Sloman won the competition with consistently low kicks and only 55% accuracy in TC? Bonamego has experience in coaching kickers. He of all people understands exactly what I've been saying all along. If he didn't want Sloman he should have argued against him. But all the fingers point to him actually being the motivation to keep Sloman.

How’s the fly fishing up in Montana CoachFisher?

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think they kept Sloman because they drafted him - not because they wanted to be right, but because that comes with a super cheap 4 year deal attached.
I've seen this suggested often but cant see how Sloman would have been the cheaper option, more likely the polar opposite. The value of his rookie contract would have paid him nearly 900k per year where the league minimum is only just over 600k. If anything, it would have been cheaper to have gone with a street FA who had no NFL service time

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I've seen this suggested often but cant see how Sloman would have been the cheaper option, more likely the polar opposite. The value of his rookie contract would have paid him nearly 900k per year where the league minimum is only just over 600k. If anything, it would have been cheaper to have gone with a street FA who had no NFL service time

For the first year, but what about subsequent years? I don't know how that would have worked for them but I'm assuming they would have been RFAs and it would have depended on what we designed them as? Not sure

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer

4dfb2388d24773e6dbf186c3080723c4.gif