It appears not everyone is on the bandwagon...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
CLAIBORNE: So Now I’m Supposed To Be Excited?

Mike Claiborne
February 20, 2012 9:00 AM
http://stlouis.cbslocal.com/2012/02/20/ ... e-excited/

[wrapimg=left]http://cbsstlouis.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/les-snead.jpg?w=288[/wrapimg]The Rams have the final piece of their holy trinity in place. Aside from COO Kevin Demoff and coach Jeff Fisher, Les Snead has been hired as the new general manager. At times I wonder if all three were not given an envelope with instructions on what is needed to salvage a floundering operation — that could be considered a Mission Impossible.

This tape will not self-destruct in five seconds, but certainly the relationship between team and fans could in the future.

Les Snead comes with solid credentials from Atlanta. I will remind you that so did Billy Devaney. Snead made it clear that he and Jeff Fisher are joined at the hip in this venture to bring respectability back to the Rams. Just like when Devaney and Steve Spagnuolo were fired on the same day for the same failed mission.

So what makes this situation different? Is it the fact that Fisher is a proven coach over that skill set of Spagnuolo? Perhaps. Other than that, what makes you feel better about the Rams now than you did three years ago? When you were excited about the energy level and “four pillars” concept that Spagnuolo brought to the party?

If it sounds like I am apprehensive about the moves the Rams have made, then you are right. I want this team to do better, or at least I did at one point. Because of how ownership has treated St. Louis with the posturing about the lease and the moving of a game to London, I have lost interest.

Not to worry, though, as some of my media colleagues will take the bait because they just want football. Some would think anything the Rams would float out there would be a good idea. And we are supposed to just sign off on it, no questions asked.

Not so fast, my friend.

The Rams could say they are going to hire Phil Jackson as a special teams coach, and you would have someone thinking it would be a good idea:

“What, he is a basketball coach? What an ingenious move. Maybe his winning ways will be contagious on football players.”

That is how gullible it can be with some folks. You and I should be smarter.

As for the hires, I really hope it works. And while I have elected to check out of Hotel Ram until this lease issue has a resolution, I would love for the product on the field to be better.

It is my sincere hope that there is some back-channeling taking place where there can be a deal done to keep the Rams here. But until there is more done, I will take a pass on the Rams and the rhetoric. While I have a responsibility to listeners and readers to provide information about the team, as a fan I will sit this one out ’til further notice.

In the meantime, I am sure there will be Kool Aid for everyone.

Mike Claiborne hosts “The Sports Hub” weeknights from 9p-12a on KMOX.

joeybittick

Rookie
X said:

Mike Claiborne

[wrapimg=left]http://cbsstlouis.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/les-snead.jpg?w=288[/wrapimg]The Rams have the final piece of their holy trinity in place. Aside from COO Kevin Demoff and coach Jeff Fisher, Les Snead has been hired as the new general manager. At times I wonder if all three were not given an envelope with instructions on what is needed to salvage a floundering operation — that could be considered a Mission Impossible.

This tape will not self-destruct in five seconds, but certainly the relationship between team and fans could in the future.

Les Snead comes with solid credentials from Atlanta. I will remind you that so did Billy Devaney. Snead made it clear that he and Jeff Fisher are joined at the hip in this venture to bring respectability back to the Rams. Just like when Devaney and Steve Spagnuolo were fired on the same day for the same failed mission.

So what makes this situation different? Is it the fact that Fisher is a proven coach over that skill set of Spagnuolo? Perhaps. Other than that, what makes you feel better about the Rams now than you did three years ago? When you were excited about the energy level and “four pillars” concept that Spagnuolo brought to the party?

If it sounds like I am apprehensive about the moves the Rams have made, then you are right. I want this team to do better, or at least I did at one point. Because of how ownership has treated St. Louis with the posturing about the lease and the moving of a game to London, I have lost interest.

Not to worry, though, as some of my media colleagues will take the bait because they just want football. Some would think anything the Rams would float out there would be a good idea. And we are supposed to just sign off on it, no questions asked.

Not so fast, my friend.

The Rams could say they are going to hire Phil Jackson as a special teams coach, and you would have someone thinking it would be a good idea:

“What, he is a basketball coach? What an ingenious move. Maybe his winning ways will be contagious on football players.”

As for the hires, I really hope it works. And while I have elected to check out of Hotel Ram until this lease issue has a resolution, I would love for the product on the field to be better.

It is my sincere hope that there is some back-channeling taking place where there can be a deal done to keep the Rams here. But until there is more done, I will take a pass on the Rams and the rhetoric. While I have a responsibility to listeners and readers to provide information about the team, as a fan I will sit this one out ’til further notice.

Ah, the proverbial "kool-aid" article. Fuck that.

Usually I refrain from criticizing even negative articles, but this one is kind of stupid. Comparing the hiring on a first time HC hire to the hiring of a veteran HC who has proven he knows how to win in the NFL is kind of stupid. If Claiborne had said "Just because Fisher has won in the NFL does not guarantee success this go around." Then I would have no problem with him saying that. But the whole premise of this article seems flimsy to me.

And regarding him "losing interest" because of the whole "jerking around" angle; is he just going to ignore the recent developments on the Rams future in STL? From Bernie Miklasz:

(Stan) Kroenke's not going to move...it's all going to get worked out. The big fella here has been doing a lot of reconnaissance on this issue and I am feeling better about it all the time. (Stan) Kroenke's not going to move...it's all going to get worked out. The big fella here has been doing a lot of reconnaissance on this issue and I am feeling better about it all the time.

When there's a new stadium, it is unlikely to be downtown...though nothing is certain. But a long-term plan is targeting suburban locations...a new stadium, however, is a bit down the road...there will be a lease extension at The Ed to cover the years until a more long-range plan is set.

No, nothing (is) imminent. No guarantees, either. But this situation isn't as nearly as bad as feared. And it's more favorable than most people believe. Important people are at work. Let's just stay calm as it plays out.

Ad Bernie said, that is not a guarantee by any means, but playing the whole "The Rams have treated STL fans poorly" card is just a bit... cliche, is it not? To me this article reeks of pandering. Others may disagree, but it just seems obvious to me that the author is trying to stir up controversy for hits.

Anyway, I will shut up cos reading this article is pissing me off more each time, I will just say I personally expect more solid reasoning and less pandering from a member of the media...

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
joeybittick said:
I will just say I personally expect more solid reasoning and less pandering from a member of the media...
:rofl: Why would you think THAT?

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
My expectations will be based off of what we're able to do in the draft and FA. More than both of those though, I'm pretty fucking stoked we're going to have a full training camp/OTAs this year.

iBruce

Pro Bowler
Name
Cory
Username said:
My expectations will be based off of what we're able to do in the draft and FA. More than both of those though, I'm pretty fucking stoked we're going to have a full training camp/OTAs this year.

Same here. I'm not getting too excited till I see what we do in the draft. Drafting Blackmon at #2 will not excite me.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
Well what the hell was this guy hoping for then?
He just drops a little diddy about how the organization hasn't done enough to gain his trust or excitement and then end it at that. Interesting, way to play it close to the vest there. I'm assuming he wanted a Tampa Bay off-season where they hired the Rutgers coaching staff.
Pretty weak on his part, especially since I'm sure he was calling for heads to roll last season.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
This is simply an agenda driven article. He's not happy with the lease situation and nothing other than the resolution of that will change his attitude. :yawn:

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I think this guy is saying he's not buying into the hype, that Fisher/Snead/Demoff have created. I had, and still kinda do the same type of thinking and is just wait and see.

Spags never made any promises, Fisher has and thus has to deliver sooner rather than later...

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

it is a pretty lame article. he gives no reason for not liking the moves other than spags and devany didn't deliver. what do they have to do with the new coaching staff and front office? he's just having a sulk.

i'm rather optimistic the rams will make it back to 0.500 this year or next. i certainly don't expect the rams having to pick in the top 10 of the draft with fisher as coach.

Anonymous

Ram Quixote said:
This is simply an agenda driven article. He's not happy with the lease situation and nothing other than the resolution of that will change his attitude. :yawn:

Yes, but wrong agenda. The agenda is radio. As in he's on KMOX and the Rams are not. If the Rams were on KMOX he wouldn't dare write crap like that article. GUARANTEED. It makes me wonder if a local media buy by SK is in the works similar to what the Cardinals did with KTRS back in 2006?

HeiseNBerg

Pro Bowler
squeaky wheel said:
Ram Quixote said:

Yes, but wrong agenda. The agenda is radio. As in he's on KMOX and the Rams are not. If the Rams were on KMOX he wouldn't dare write crap like that article. GUARANTEED. It makes me wonder if a local media buy by SK is in the works similar to what the Cardinals did with KTRS back in 2006?

It wouldn't be the first time Stan would be sinking some coin into a broadcast interest -- his KSE group started, and continues to own, the Colorado sports channel Altitude (Channel 681 for you DirecTV subscribers).

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
(Note to everyone who reads this: this isn't directed at you. My rant is directed at this columnist/journalist/whomever).

The article that you wrote seems like nothing more than bitching and whining for the sake of bitching and whining. What else should the Rams have done, Mr. Claiborne? Jeff Fisher and Les Snead were two of the top candidates for the job, and they're nothing like any of the other coaches or GMs we've had.

The reasons you gave for not liking the hirings come off as little more than excuses. So, according to you, Mr. Claiborne, since the last few coaches and GMs have failed here, these guys are obviously going to fail as well, right? Well, if that were the case, why should teams even hire GMs or coaches? We could just have the players run themselves, like the New York Jets do. Wouldn't that be absolutely fucking awesome? Or maybe Kroenke should run out, spend billions, and personally run this team into the ground like Dan fucking Snyder did with the Redskins? Would you prefer that?

I won't even get into the lease because things like that should never deter fans from following their team, especially when they have a vested interest in this team, much like you do. I mean, since you work at a radio station, you probably get paid to write about this team. On the other hand, there are many other Rams fans who write about their team just because they want to.

I won't question your fanhood. I won't insult you personally. I'm just ripping apart your article because that's the only thing it deserves. You're better than this - and I want you to prove it.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
X said:

Mike Claiborne

Not so fast, my friend.

Munster was my cheese of choice with this Whine

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
And now everyone knows why this forum is heavily tilted toward homerism. If we had one, two, three (or more) people who felt the same way this whiny baby does, then it would be nothing but troll target practice all the live long day. All I can say to this guy is, "Butch up, bitch" and then forget he even wrote this.

Lesson

Oh, really?
X said:
And now everyone knows why this forum is heavily tilted toward homerism. If we had one, two, three (or more) people who felt the same way this whiny baby does, then it would be nothing but troll target practice all the live long day. All I can say to this guy is, "Butch up, bitch" and then forget he even wrote this.

Why do trolls get paid? :shock:

bluecoconuts

Legend
Lesson said:
X said:

Why do trolls get paid? :shock:

Brings in the money. That's why Skip has his own show.

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
So what makes this situation different? Is it the fact that Fisher is a proven coach over that skill set of Spagnuolo? Perhaps.

Yeah I think that was a big deal here. Its fair to be skeptical about Fisher simply based on his W/L record but I still think its very impressive for a HC to be with one team as long as he did in this day and age. Theres reasons to be skeptical about the way this organization looks right now but I just cant look at it that way. I have to have the glass half-full approach. If Kroenke would have went the rookie HC route I would have supported it. With Fisher, theres less uncertainty, you can look at his teams from the past and know the type of team he wants to build. You know what the teams "identity" will be.

Other than that, what makes you feel better about the Rams now than you did three years ago?

The team is better, theres young talent to build around. This is not the mess Devaney and Spags inherited.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
JdashSTL said:
So what makes this situation different? Is it the fact that Fisher is a proven coach over that skill set of Spagnuolo? Perhaps.

Yeah I think that was a big deal here. Its fair to be skeptical about Fisher simply based on his W/L record but I still think its very impressive for a HC to be with one team as long as he did in this day and age. Theres reasons to be skeptical about the way this organization looks right now but I just cant look at it that way. I have to have the glass half-full approach. If Kroenke would have went the rookie HC route I would have supported it. With Fisher, theres less uncertainty, you can look at his teams from the past and know the type of team he wants to build. You know what the teams "identity" will be.

Other than that, what makes you feel better about the Rams now than you did three years ago?

The team is better, theres young talent to build around. This is not the mess Devaney and Spags inherited.

Maybe that's why I'm so skeptical of Fisher. I felt that Spags/Devaney took so much shit compared to Zygmunt/Linny that everyone (except the players) turned on them. I remember Mikell saying on twitter the day Spags got fired that it was a "long, sad day."

Anway, the thing w/ me is I'm not just buying the hype the media and Fisher himself have put out. Not yet, anyway. Hopefully I'll change my opinion as FA starts and the draft is over.