Is Watson really that good?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
I was including Watson as a young QB. My ranking for Watson was anywhere from 4 to 10 (I'd personally put him 7). Where would you put him if not in that range?
My bad, I read it wrong while multi tasking. I think you are right on there. Top 5 athletically but a lot to prove now. So hard to compare the youngsters and the old guns on anything beyond 1 season. Watson could go behind Rodgers, Stafford, even Wilson potentially and then you have all the youngsters Allen, Burrows, Herbert, Mahomes like you listed which if he slid in behind them is 8 so again right where you had him. He was the QB1 FA before the drama last year even above Matt but again subjective, I believe most around here were praying we could get him. To cut to the chase I think he is more gifted than Allen or Burrow and younger than Rodgers, Stafford and Wilson. So he could easily be a top 5 most desired QB all things considered and has the talent to justify it

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
He's good for todays NFL in which QB's run around until someone backdoors their way open.

tempests

Hall of Fame
He's a gifted player. Wouldn't surprise me at all to see him return to Pro Bowl form. The Texans self-immolation and his off the field conduct almost derailed his career.

Quality about his game I don't like is holding onto the ball too long and taking too many sacks.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Is he good? I don’t know ….but maybe he’s good and greedy…

oldnotdead

Legend
He's got talent but he's an entitled Ahole. Also, what if he is suspended for the year for all his bad behavior? IMO they have to give him at least 6 games. Either way, he's overpaid considering the risk. The fact he got away with it with no criminal charges just probably means he will continue and someday he will get caught. Cleveland will deserve it if it happens for being so stupid.

Talk about high risk. :thumbsdown:

CanadaRam

No guts, No glory.
Name
Andrew
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Is he good? I don’t know ….but maybe he’s good and greedy…
I don't see him as greedy. If someone wants to pay him that why not take it.
Imo, he is not good enough to take a team to SB with the amount of salary cap going to him.

CanadaRam

No guts, No glory.
Name
Andrew
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
All in all, I'd rank Watson as a top 10 NFL QB, easily.

I think you could rank him anywhere from #4 to #10, reasonably. There is always subjectivity to QB rankings.
I think that Watson is in the 8 to 12 range, and for me more towards the bottom of it.
I like who you mentioned, that said, I'm not sure if I'd choose Watson over Carr, Lamar or Trevor Lawrence.

MadGoat

Mathematically alive
I'm pretty sure that McVay wanted to trade for him before all the off-field stuff came out.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You dont win without a franchise QB, and if one becomes available, you do what you can to get him. The Rams teach the NFL another lesson and like good students they are following along... Stafford wasnt worth it, until he was.

oldnotdead

Legend
Worth it is a relative value. Many people thought the Rams overpaid for Stafford. How much a SB ring is worth depends upon the individual. If Cleveland wins a SB with Watson as QB then the ownership will reap a $$ windfall far greater than the money spent on Watson in terms of ticket and gear sales for years. If they don't they look like fools.

The only problem I have is how much it will affect their effort to build and keep a team around him. We have seen how that success makes it harder to keep FAs who now have a ring and want to cash in on it. IMO teams need to have the talent already on the roster and really only need the QB and perhaps one or two other players. Had Woods and Akers stayed healthy IMO they would not have needed OBJ and Michel and they still would have won that SB ring. Stafford and Miller would then have been the keys to winning.

I'm not convinced that the Browns were simply a QB away from a SB ring. They got rid of OBJ and Landry, and sure they signed Cooper but who else to catch those passes? The Rams already had Woods, Kupp, and Jefferson, three good WRs. The Browns have Chubb at RB and a decent defense expected to rank about 13th but if they expect to draft an elite WR in this draft that's assuming a lot. Without elite WRs a top-tier QB is meaningless. That's why at this moment I see a team that could contend to make the playoffs as a wildcard but they are in the same division as the Bengals. Watson alone doesn't IMO put them over the top. The Bengals had Burrows and it still wasn't enough.

The Brown will need to do more if they want to contend for a division title much less a SB.

The Ramowl

Starter
I think the Browns have made a horrible mistake giving that much. He's a good player but he seems absolutely toxic in a lot of different ways (he is still accused of sexual misconduct by 22 different women, that's a lot).

I think in ten years we'll look back at this and conclude that Browns will be Browns (and given the sexual misconduct thing, I hope the franchise pays for validating him and paying him a fortune)

Moving on from Baker was however a good move. He hasn't been able to show he could take the team to the next level and compared to the quality of the roster and the expectations for the team, missing the playoffs last year was a huge letdown.

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame
He takes almost 24% of browns cap space in 2023
while Stafford will take up close to 9% in same year.
Ramsey will take 11.16 (highest on team) that year as well and were still not at 24%

Psycho_X

Legend
The Browns are so historically bad that they had to guarantee $230 million to a serial sex offender just to get a half decent QB to want to play for them. The price was the price to keep him from going to the team he actually wanted to go to in Atlanta. For a team who players respect and want to play for it was a ridiculous price to pay... for the Browns it was what they had to do to try and become relevant. Kinda sad actually. They better hope he can stay on the field for the length of that contract.