Is Watson really that good?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CanadaRam

No guts, No glory.
Name
Andrew
Outside of anything off the field, id Watson worth what Browns just gave him.

I am a firm believer that mobility in a QB is a very valuable asset, but the most important skill by far for a QB is the skills tossing the ball (i.e. pocket passer).

Is Watson worth among top top end money and 3 1st round draft picks?

Imo he is better than L.Jackson and K.Murray in the pocket, and may be in the J.Allen category. Not sure though.
I see the future top QBs to include Mahomes, Burrow and Herbert all dominating in the pocket.

I would have been furious with the Rams giving the same deal they did for Stafford last year if they had given in to Watson instead.
I don't see Watson ever becoming a SB winning QB (now that he is off his rookie deal).

What do others think?

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
No way, he has had a couple of wow plays but he sure didn’t carry them deep into the playoffs.

He might develop if he has a good coaching staff and some good WRs but I don’t see that happening.

He seems like Michael Vick at best to me.

CanadaRam

No guts, No glory.
Name
Andrew
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Vick is also the QB I would most liken him to.

I think that the Browns made a huge mistake
No way, he has had a couple of wow plays but he sure didn’t carry them deep into the playoffs.

He might develop if he has a good coaching staff and some good WRs but I don’t see that happening.

He seems like Michael Vick at best to me.

SWAdude

And don't call me Shirley
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
John
I think Watson is very good.

Just not even remotely close to a guaranteed 46 mil a year kind of good. I don't know if anyone in the league is worth anything close to this kind of money.

I will be tuning in next year to see how that works for them.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
He was excellent. He was worth it.
I'm curious to see if the time away and all the off field stuff will have an impact on the field.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Outside of anything off the field, id Watson worth what Browns just gave him.

I am a firm believer that mobility in a QB is a very valuable asset, but the most important skill by far for a QB is the skills tossing the ball (i.e. pocket passer).

Imo he is better than L.Jackson and K.Murray in the pocket, and may be in the J.Allen category. Not sure though.
I see the future top QBs to include Mahomes, Burrow and Herbert all dominating in the pocket.

I would have been furious with the Rams giving the same deal they did for Stafford last year if they had given in to Watson instead.
I don't see Watson ever becoming a SB winning QB (now that he is off his rookie deal).

What do others think?

He's a really good QB. This actually is his 3rd contract. https://www.nfl.com/news/texans-qb-deshaun-watson-agrees-to-4-year-160m-extension

TheBunk

Rookie
Vick isn't a very good comparison for him, and while he may not be worth THAT contract, that's the going rate to secure a QB of his caliber. He's really good.

Ram65

Legend
Is that good as in the contract? Time will tell. It's a gamble because of the guaranteed money.

Maybe he will be worth it.

He is amazingly strong and has a great arm with better touch than Vick. Look at the throws in the video! He can't keep running the way he was. He has to become more like Wilson and protect his body when he scrambles and runs.

I'm not sure how well he reads defenses. That's what separates a lot of QBs in the NFL. Saying the Browns have to be smart is an oxymoron but, they do. They need to have a plan that doesn't completely rely on his athleticism. That could be hard to do when his cap hit takes away from getting him help on offense. Get him some offensive weapons and a decent offensive line and he will produce very good results.

SAK11

Rookie
I think he’s great. When it got awkward with Goff and McVay, Watson was my dream, albeit unrealistic, QB to trade for. Obviously things worked out pretty well with Stafford…

Watson’s 2020 stats were insane, he just played on such a brutal team.

Obviously, the Browns gave up a TON in both picks and money. He’s not the most well-liked person right now either given the off field issues. Pressure will be on him right away to perform.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Ignoring contract$ and off-field stuff yes
He is a better Vick, much more accurate.
Cleveland should go after Fuller, they have chemistry and he may be affordable

Last edited:

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
I would definitely not take Watson over any of Mahomes, Allen, Herbert, or Burrow, if you are looking for a younger QB that can deliver now at an elite level but also be around for another 10+ years.

Among the older QBs, I would take Rodgers and Stafford over Watson at present. Some might call me bias on Stafford. But go look at his 4th quarter stats this past season, and his playoffs performance. With the game on the line, Stafford is as good as anyone.

I am sure many people would take Brady over Watson, as well, if longevity is not a concern.

I am not a Russell Wilson fan, but you could make a case for him too.

I do not rate Dak Prescott or Kyler Murray. Especially, I do not rate Kyler. But some people really like them and their productivity cannot be denied. They likely are in the conversation, as well.

All in all, I'd rank Watson as a top 10 NFL QB, easily.

I think you could rank him anywhere from #4 to #10, reasonably. There is always subjectivity to QB rankings.

And at his age, he likely will be around for a very long time.

But he also has not played NFL football in over 1 year, has character issues, and now with those character issues has been handed a monstrous contract that is 100% guaranteed...

Is the price too high? I would lean to yes. Locking up a QB of that echelon for 10+ years I would certainty deem worth the picks that the Browns gave up. Especially when you consider where they are likely to be drafting. But when you consider the circus he brings with him, the fact he has not played in a year, and the insane contract they had to give him.... I think they overpaid. Judging by how long it took to find a suitor, it would appear most NFL GMs agree.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Almost a quarter BILLION $$! Thats freaking nuts! Broken down that's around 4 mil a game.

Not gonna be long before one of these nut job owners garuntee someone a billion dollars.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Among the older QBs, I would take Rodgers and Stafford over Watson at present. Some might call me bias on Stafford. But go look at his 4th quarter stats this past season, and his playoffs performance. With the game on the line, Stafford is as good as anyone.
Watson is 26 which is hardly an older QB and certainly not A Rodgers old. I think there are a lot of GM's that would disagree with those rankings at least up until the off-field drama. Mahomes and Watson are 3 days apart in age

Oregonram

OregonRam
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well, as a past CFP….there is the very real issue of inflation right now, so, yes, it’s a ton of money, but last year he could have been offered 20 million less and had the same buying power…scary. I don’t begrudge the Browns making an all in move, they want to re-invigorate their fans. Especially after sending a seemingly washed up OBJ to the Rams and watch him straight out ball.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
Watson is 26 which is hardly an older QB and certainly not A Rodgers old. I think there are a lot of GM's that would disagree with those rankings at least up until the off-field drama. Mahomes and Watson are 3 days apart in age
I was including Watson as a young QB. My ranking for Watson was anywhere from 4 to 10 (I'd personally put him 7). Where would you put him if not in that range?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I want to say no but value is driven by supply and demand. No way I think he's worth that shit right now, with his questions around his behavior and now having that big contract is his mind gonna be on the team or building a torture dungeon for his abducted women. Ok kidding there. I don't really think what he did was all that bad, moreso just a young dude who thought he could behave a certain way with certain women and learned a life lesson. But when you're talking that big a contract and being face of the franchise oh boy.

And I think the Browns are garbage top to bottom as an organization. That matters too in terms of his chances of success long term.

Isn't it funny how that Stafford trade looks now. That one is going to to down as the greatest move ever for the Rams after he wins another couple rings here with us.