Is Van Jefferson ready for a breakout 2022 season?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I would re-read that to make sure you're right but ain't nobody got time for that.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That's a low bar. :laugh2:

Agreed but if he can grow just a bit and show more aggression to the ball he'll eat the DBs he is going to get with Kupp and Robinson hogging all the defensive attention.

Also re: Akers and Williams if the Rams can get that run game going teams are going to have meltdowns trying to contain it. That's how you get that GSoT effect, when you overrun the other team's depth of options and win so much across the board that they give up. This offensive roster is pretty close to that IMO, just requires some guys to step up at key positions and it's gonna be an offensive avalanche.
Ok, he’s shown more than Tutu…..:weary:

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think we're just being realistic
50 rec, 802 yards and 6 td
Those stats would be better than most #2 WR across the league, and even better than a few teams #1. And yet he's the #3 WR on this team.
I'm not seeing where its "realistic", unless the prefix un is used

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Breakout? He's still going to be the #3 receiver on this team - potentially #4 if we resign OBJ. I just can't see him expanding his role much. In the same breath we're talking about ARob and Kupp having huge seasons, while expecting a "breakout season" for our #3?

I like Van's game. He is getting much maligned over not coming back for a pass in the SB as if that defines his entire game. He may not be a 50/50 type but then he also got put in a position of the take off the top guy. As such, he is supposed to get beyond the defense. A ball thrown short is not really his fault - especially if momentum is taking him the other way - which is how I actually saw that pass.

It's like fans expect all our receivers to be all pros with 1500 yd plus seasons or they just are not good enough. No one ever heard of role players around here?

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I think we're just being realistic
Well... let's talk about that. What EXACTLY are you considering a "breakout year"? You really think realistic is expecting your #3 receiver to have a "breakout year" after he had 800 yards playing behind the likes of Kupp, Woods, and OBJ and our team just picked up a receiver on the level of ARob? I would say that is being anything but realistic. In fact, the only way he has a truly breakout year IMO is if either one of our receivers goes down or he really excels and relegates one of our top receivers to the #3 spot. I am guessing that won't make anyone happy.

Van plays an important role. And frankly being disappointed by your 3rd receiver having 800 yards, 6 TDs, and a 16 yard average is pretty insane really - unrealistic you might say.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Van plays an important role. And frankly being disappointed by your 3rd receiver having 800 yards, 6 TDs, and a 16 yard average is pretty insane really - unrealistic you might say.

Not to mention his bringing back of the deep passing game that was so sorely missing in 2020. I bet if you asked Kupp, Woods, or OBJ if Van helped open things up in the middle of the field for other guys, the answer of any of them would be an emphatic "Yes" - and not just because they are good teammates.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's like fans expect all our receivers to be all pros with 1500 yd plus seasons or they just are not good enough. No one ever heard of role players around here?
For myself I don't expect anything. Just think he needs to improve if he wants to lock down that WR3 role. Just so happens that being more aggressive to the ball is what he mostly needs to work on.

McVay is constantly pushing improvement too. You can bet nobody on that staff is telling Van he is a finished product.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Not to mention his bringing back of the deep passing game that was so sorely missing in 2020
Season 1 Comedy GIF by NBC

That was the QB change

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
McVay is constantly pushing improvement too. You can bet nobody on that staff is telling Van he is a finished product.
And from the reports I saw I think here, he has been working hard during the off season. I'll have to look for it but from what I gathered, he's working on strength conditioning. It just may never be his game to body up on defenders and frankly, that may not be what we want. He's not here to be a possession type receiver. He's here to open up the field and get behind the defense. That means separation is key.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Rams need to use him as a deep threat in passing game, forget about kick returns
train
Yes, when you have talents like all pro's Kupp & Robinson as your starters is there any room for "breakout"? Then there's Jacob Harris

In addition, having big bodies like Tyler Higbee, Brycen Hopkins, Kendall Blanton, Jacob Harris & Ben Skowronek to take all the tough underneath catches & down near inside the 20 yd/ Goal Line situations.

Far best to fully concentrate in OTA's & TC on utilization of his allegedly excellent deep speed along with TuTu Atwell to open up for all the other above-listed receivers.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Van Jefferson is a good WR3. He's a nice deep threat for Stafford. But that is his ceiling on this team. I wouldn't view him as a true number 1. He could be a number 2 on some other teams. But he doesn't have that "It" factor they need to separate themselves from the pack.

When OBJ went down he had his chance to step up. But he didn't. Could be other reasons. Maybe Stafford didn't want to trust anyone else but Kupp? I don't know. I just know when I see him I see a nice receiver but not much more. I'd say he's living up to his draft status as a late second rounder.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
Y’all act like the dude didn’t make a huge jump after year 1. Keep in mind that was also his first time having a pro off-season to learn too.

He still has areas to improve, and the great part about that is they’re all areas that can be improved upon.

And quit talking like OBJ is going to be ready to start the season. We’d be lucky to have him up to full speed in time for playoffs. Van is the number three and is only getting better.

If we’re letting his (injured) playoff performance wrote him off, get rid of Cam while we’re at it.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Van Jefferson is a good WR3. He's a nice deep threat for Stafford. But that is his ceiling on this team. I wouldn't view him as a true number 1. He could be a number 2 on some other teams. But he doesn't have that "It" factor they need to separate themselves from the pack.

When OBJ went down he had his chance to step up. But he didn't. Could be other reasons. Maybe Stafford didn't want to trust anyone else but Kupp? I don't know. I just know when I see him I see a nice receiver but not much more. I'd say he's living up to his draft status as a late second rounder.
I think this is a completely reasonable take and opinion except for the one comment. OBJ went-down right before halftime, so Jefferson had all of two quarters to step-up. Plus, he hurt a knee in the NFC Championship.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Doesn't matter if he had only one possession to show what he could do. Bottom line is when Odell went down the offense instantly stagnated. And this is after dominating the Bengals with Odell out there. They had zero answer for trying to contain both Odell and Kupp.

Now I will say I don't think it's fair to compare Jefferson to Odell, who is a rare talent. However it is fair to say why couldn't he provide more threat and production in that opportunity. And it is fair to observe where he needs to improve. I think the fanbase has a pretty good handle on all that tbh.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Doesn't matter if he had only one possession to show what he could do. Bottom line is when Odell went down the offense instantly stagnated. And this is after dominating the Bengals with Odell out there. They had zero answer for trying to contain both Odell and Kupp.

Now I will say I don't think it's fair to compare Jefferson to Odell, who is a rare talent. However it is fair to say why couldn't he provide more threat and production in that opportunity. And it is fair to observe where he needs to improve. I think the fanbase has a pretty good handle on all that tbh.
The whole offense stagnated including Kupp and Stafford but it seems only Van is taking a hit.