Is Van Jefferson ready for a breakout 2022 season?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ROD-BOT

News Feeder

Is Van Jefferson ready for a breakout 2022 season?​

When the Los Angeles Rams made Van Jefferson their second round selection in the 2020 NFL Draft, most draft pundits placed a mid-to-late third round grade on his draft value. It may have been because of a broken foot that kept him out of the NFL Combine or his rather pedestrian senior season numbers, 49 receptions for 657 yards, a 13.4 yard average and six touchdowns.

At pick #57, the Rams were not swayed by the the pundits, injury or statistics. LA General Manager Les Snead chose work ethic, technique and pedigree over national press trumpeting and gaudy college stats. Jefferson possessed the two most important wide receiver traits (arguably), good hands and the ability to create his own separation.

Jefferson stands 6’ 1 1/2” and weighs over 200 lbs., he has very good length with 33” arms and 78” wingspan. Because of injury, he did not record any workout drill or speed results before joining the Rams, but before he suffered the broken foot, he was the clocked as the fastest player at 2020 Senior Bowl.

Where Jefferson excels is route running and creating separation. His father, Shawn Jefferson, has had a solid NFL career, first as a player and more recently as a wide receiver coach and assistant head coach. Unlike many incoming wideouts who rely on speed and freakish physical attributes to win matchups, the younger Jefferson uses a combination of moves, both subtle and aggressive, an ability to change speeds, and good hand fighting skills to win.

The Rams brought Jefferson along slowly, in 2020 he saw targets in 13 games as WR4 behind Cooper Kupp, Robert Woods, and Josh Reynolds. His stats were modest, 19 catches on 31 targets for 220 yards and one touchdown. In 2021, LA parted ways with Reynolds and Jefferson responded to the promotion to WR3 with 50 grabs on 81 targets for 802 yards and six TD’s. A substantial percentage increase.

For numbers nuts, that’s a 153% increase in receptions, 265% in yards and 500% in TD’s. Even a conservative 25% production increase in 2022 would put Jefferson in the neighborhood of 65 catches, 1000 yards, and nine TD’s. Very solid numbers for WR3 and very plausible stats to project.

So, how do Jefferson’s first two seasons compare to some the best LA Rams wide receivers from the last 25 years and the man who was signed to play ahead of him, Allen Robinson.

Van Jefferson- 2020/21

69 rec, 1022 yds, 7 tds, 58.6% catch rate, and 1 fumble on 10.02% target rate

While Jefferson’s numbers are less than the other stars, his percentage of targets was substantially less. Extrapolating his numbers with a higher percentage of targets at his production level would really tighten the comparison up.

Cooper Kupp- 2017/18

102 rec, 1435 yds, 11 tds, 69.4% catch rate, and 4 fumbles on 13.72% target rate

Missed half of his second season or his numbers would be higher. Barring a catastrophic event, Kupp will be LA’s all-time leader in receptions and and yards. A bold statement on its face, considering the gold jackets in Rams history, but his current averages set the timeline to seven years, if not less.

Allen Robinson- 2014/15

128 catches, 1948 yds, 16 tds, 56.2% catch rate, and 2 fumbles on 20.27% target rate

Had huge sophomore year raising his numbers. A lot has been made about the quarterbacks he has played with, but Robinson has been WR1 Ince his second year on teams that threw the ball a lot. He’s been very good, but missed 29 regular season games over his career.

Robert Woods- 2013/14

105 catches, 1286 yds, 8 tds, 54.9% catch rate, and 1 fumble on 17.16% target rate

Woods had the bad luck to be be playing in Buffalo during some tough years. He was a cornerstone of the Rams turnaround, sharing the WR1 role and playing unselfishly, he will be missed. Looks like he might be the go-to guy for the Tennessee Titans in 2022.

Torry Holt- 1999/00

134 catches, 2423 yards, 12 tds, 56% catch rate, and 6 fumbles on 21.13% target rate

Finally got his Hall of Fame nod, why it took so long is unexplainable, He retired after 11 seasons and was 33 years old. His career numbers were amazing, averaging 84 catches, 1194 yards, and 7 TD’s. I don’t remember him being injured, probably could have been productive for 3-4 more seasons.

Issac Bruce- 1994/95

140 catches, 2053 yards, 16 tds, 53.8% catch rate, and 3 fumbles on 21.24% target rate

Started with the 4-12 1994 team and left after the 3-13 2007 debacle. In between, he experienced the Rams rags-to-riches-back-to-rags saga. In his first five years, the team went 26-53, then came the “Greatest Show on Turf” years, and finally, the Rams downward spiral that lasted until 2017. Bruce delivered during it all and has well-earned Super Bowl ring and a gold jacket to show for it.

View: https://twitter.com/ramsonfilm/status/1514589208182145034?s=21&t=wabjFX2AdAOPgVOQe7LWcg

Do the numbers really mean anything?

Considering this piece is about Jefferson breaking out in 2022, it might have made more sense to compare VanJeff to top Rams receiver from the Jeff Fisher era, Kenny Britt and Brian Quick or from the Steve Spagnoulo years, Danny Amendola and Brandon Gibson or maybe even from the time of Scott Lineman ( the guy who drove away Bruce and Holt) days, Donnie Avery and Drew Bennett.

But, why not compare him to other stellar players, that should be the standard on a perennial Super Bowl contending team. With the Rams using three-receiver formations at such a high percentage, WR3 should be more than capable, he should be playmaker able to post strong numbers. Van Jefferson has work ethic, traits and now experience, to be that playmaker.

tklongball

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The 2 things I would love to see this year out of Van, regardless of his production, are:

1. Be more aggressive toward the ball when it is in the air. In other words, go get the ball, don't wait on it to come to you.

2. Catch more with the hands, and less with the body.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
The 2 things I would love to see this year out of Van, regardless of his production, are:

1. Be more aggressive toward the ball when it is in the air. In other words, go get the ball, don't wait on it to come to you.

2. Catch more with the hands, and less with the body.
Excellent analysis I want Jefferson to fight for the football, a couple of interceptions might have been incomplete if Jefferson battled for the football.

Catching the ball with the hands will lead to being more consistent and having less drops. I believe the Rams are looking for Jefferson to take the next step this season and let's hope he does.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Van had a pretty good year. I wish he hadn’t faded in the playoffs. Is that an indication of anything? I don’t know.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

the reason van didn't have numbers like kupp, arob, bruce and holt is because those guys are freaking studs. they are hof type players.

van is good but he will never be that good. i have high hopes that everything comes together for him in his third season and a projection of 1000 yards with 9 tds is very gettable for him this season.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
He came into the league bottom of the 2nd and showed great fundamentals and a well-developed route tree.
I think his solid understanding of the game put him ahead of most receivers taken at his draft range.
I am hoping with a healed-up knee and a more simplified role he will build on his first 2 seasons.
My concern is he can have a tendency to lose focus and drop would be completions. I am giving him a pass for effort due to the knee injury. I think he still is reaching his ceiling and that he will benefit from personal adversity and team success. I see him being a positive contributor this upcoming season

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
Simple answer is No.
He's got some wheels and is dependable. But I don't see those flash plays you see from good WRs. He's where he's supposed to be most of the time and that's good enough for a #3 or 4 Wr

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I doubt it. He may get better at things like route running, blocking and concentration but he’s got no dawg in him. I don’t believe you can coach that at this level.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
I can't see it.

To begin with, I just don't view Van Jefferson as ever being more than a WR3, regardless. He does not have the requisite fight in him, IMO. If the ball is not perfectly thrown, he struggles. He has nice deep speed in particular. He's a youthful piece. And still young. But he's a depth guy on a contending roster, for my money.

But even if he did have the aptitude to be more than a WR3, he won't see the targets in this offense to show it.

Kupp and Robinson are definitely WR #1 and #2. If OBJ comes back he is easily WR3, whenever that is. And Kupp in particular is a high-volume player. Higbee will also eat some targets. And the RBs will need their carries on the ground, as well as some on some passing plays. Finally, you have to think that the Rams will try and work Tutu Atwell in as a gadget player this year. after investing a 2nd round pick in him. There are only so many targets to go around.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I am hopeful with him, I'll say that.

Also in looking at last year there were so many players who were added to the mix who were projects. Most of that draft class, which brings options that could juice the roster at a bunch of different positions. So the nice thing about this team and staff is that we can bet some of these guys are going to take steps forward. As to which ones, players are going to drive that. But I'm not going to bet against Van because he is by all indications a good dude who is willing to work his butt off and he's talented on top of that.

Can you teach aggression to the ball? Who knows but yes I am in his corner. Seems like WR is loaded either way with multiple options that can make a move this year and make it even better. Can't wait for camp. :thumbsup1:

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
If he is what he was last year, he's an asset.
Do I expect him to be more than that? Not really. He'll be 26 this year and was an older rookie. He's just not a guy who's going to go get a ball, for the most part. If hit hits him in stride, awesome.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think people see the phrase breakout and get the wrong impression. Lets be honest here there's little to no chance that he achieves what they envision with that phrase with Kupp and Robinson ahead of him on the depth chart and the possibility of OBJ as well. I think he continues to prove himself to be a reliable 3rd WR and has another good year as such. For some that won't be enough, it rarely is for some unless the player is All Pro, but the targets aren't likely to be there for him. What he has to do is capitalize on the targets he's given and help the team out and that's all we can ask for. He won't be a break out #1 or #2 WR but if he's a damned good #3 anybody saying they don't think that's good I just don't know what to say to them.

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame
Be more aggressive toward the ball when it is in the air.
Couldn't agree more. Hoping Robinson can help him with that.

Last year I felt he had trouble at times tracking balls that were deep and
go type routes. He seemed to track better on post, corner or any angled routes.
He needs to be in position to either catch or defend the INT.

I like Van a lot and hope he continues to improve , even if the numbers don't
come , because of the talented WR room.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
He's better than Tavon Austin...
That's a low bar. :laugh2:

Lets be honest here there's little to no chance that he achieves what they envision with that phrase with Kupp and Robinson ahead of him on the depth chart and the possibility of OBJ as well.
Agreed but if he can grow just a bit and show more aggression to the ball he'll eat the DBs he is going to get with Kupp and Robinson hogging all the defensive attention.

Also re: Akers and Williams if the Rams can get that run game going teams are going to have meltdowns trying to contain it. That's how you get that GSoT effect, when you overrun the other team's depth of options and win so much across the board that they give up. This offensive roster is pretty close to that IMO, just requires some guys to step up at key positions and it's gonna be an offensive avalanche.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Agreed but if he can grow just a bit and show more aggression to the ball he'll eat the DBs he is going to get with Kupp and Robinson hogging all the defensive attention.
Which was the gist of what I said in the part you didn't copy :D