Is Van Jefferson ready for a breakout 2022 season?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

Will Van Jefferson continue to trend upwards in 2022?

By CliffJackson@CliffJacksonn Jun 10, 2022,
1655050589247.png

In the 2021 season, Van Jefferson took a massive jump in terms of production, increasing his receptions, touchdowns, and yards immensely from his rookie campaign. One part of Van Jefferson’s game that seemed to unveil itself last season was his ability to be a legitimate deep threat, posting four receptions that went for a gain of 50 yards or more.

Los Angeles Rams v Arizona Cardinals

Van was just 200 yards short of his first 1,000 yard receiving season, and did so being the third option for a majority of the playing year. With the addition of Allen Robinson, I expect Van to be the third receiver once again, assuming Odell Beckham Jr. is not retained. With receivers as talented as the all-world Cooper Kupp and newcomer Allen Robinson, Van Jefferson will be the least of the opposition's worries in terms of game-planning for the Rams’ passing attack. This, alone, will present chances for Jefferson to exploit the lack of attention, creating even more shots to become a big-time impact player.

One thing of note, however, is the fact that Jefferson was not as impactful in the postseason, as his production did take a hit when all the chips were on the table. There were no big plays, and it seemed as though Matthew Stafford would give jump ball chances in big spots, with Van failing to display the innate ability to try and high point the football in those situations. However, the faith that coach McVay and Stafford showed in Van speaks volumes in terms of the confidence they have in him, which is a great sign for Jefferson.

What do you folks think? Will Van build on his successful sophomore regular season, or will postseason Van be what we see from here on out?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Looking at the depth chart only injury can unseat the top two. If Tutu manages to make big strides in camp the snaps he's gunning for belong to Van. Skow doesn't get much love around here but he played valuable snaps as a rookie, made some nice plays in big situations for us, and is going into year two as a guy who can do a bit of everything to include excellent lead blocks.

This is why I am trending skeptical on Odell. I know the Rams want him but I have a feeling the moment he can pass a physical there's going to be other teams that want and need him more. There's some playoff hopefuls that don't look so hot at receiver on their depth chart, starting with Indy.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Looking at the depth chart only injury can unseat the top two. If Tutu manages to make big strides in camp the snaps he's gunning for belong to Van. Skow doesn't get much love around here but he played valuable snaps as a rookie, made some nice plays in big situations for us, and is going into year two as a guy who can do a bit of everything to include excellent lead blocks.

This is why I am trending skeptical on Odell. I know the Rams want him but I have a feeling the moment he can pass a physical there's going to be other teams that want and need him more. There's some playoff hopefuls that don't look so hot at receiver on their depth chart, starting with Indy.
But is anyone going to throw that much future guaranteed $$ at him?
And, to maximize his future, he's going to have to perform at a high level. Is there a better situation than the Rams for that? I don't think there is based on his familiarity with the offense and the QB and the fact that he will be the #3 WR.. and get a shit ton of one-on-ones.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Yeah they have to be desperate. I was looking through the AFC rosters the other day and had a good laugh when I opened theirs. That group looks dependent on miracles as it is constituted now.

But there's some surprising NFC team rosters too once you start looking at them. Packers for example. I love the Christian Watson pick but they're gonna be dependent on rookies, Lazard, and Sammy "Halfass" Watkins.

tklongball

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The whole offense stagnated including Kupp and Stafford but it seems only Van is taking a hit.
Wait a minute. This conversation is about Van Jefferson not stepping up when OBJ when down in the Superbowl. In that context, you cannot say that Stafford and Kupp didn't step up. Sure the offense struggled for a bit, but the entire last drive was basically Kupp and Stafford stepping up. The Clutchest of Clutch moments.

I like VJ. I think he is a very nice 3rd receiver. I would like to see him develop the mentality to go get the ball when it is in the air. But, I also think it is fair to observe that he wasn't able to step up in the SB, when the Bengals were focused on shutting down Kupp.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Wait a minute. This conversation is about Van Jefferson not stepping up when OBJ when down in the Superbowl. In that context, you cannot say that Stafford and Kupp didn't step up. Sure the offense struggled for a bit, but the entire last drive was basically Kupp and Stafford stepping up. The Clutchest of Clutch moments.

I like VJ. I think he is a very nice 3rd receiver. I would like to see him develop the mentality to go get the ball when it is in the air. But, I also think it is fair to observe that he wasn't able to step up in the SB, when the Bengals were focused on shutting down Kupp.
In between OBJ going down and the last drive or two they both needed to step up, the whole team did is my point. Until the last couple drives the offense was non existent in the second half. As I and many others have said here and all the way back to the game. During the game we were all talking about the need for somebody to step up after OBJ went down, not just Van but anybody.

Tano

Legend

I think Van got hurt in the Superbowl and couldn't physically step up. He tried his best but just wasn't able to do anything productive.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
During the game we were all talking about the need for somebody to step up after OBJ went down, not just Van but anybody.
The group I was viewing the game with thought the same way too, Jefferson was hurt too that was obvious and then Kendall Blanton left the game with a shoulder injury and enter Brycen Hopkins playing his best game ever as a Los Angeles Ram. it was Kupp & Hopkins on the last drive, nobody else.

Tano

Legend
Jefferson actually was injured prior to the NFC Championship Game.
I did not know that.

No wonder he only caught 2 passes against the 49ers and 4 passes against the bengals for only about 5 yards each pass

He probably could only run short patterns in each game

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

No wonder he only caught 2 passes against the 49ers and 4 passes against the bengals for only about 5 yards each pass

He probably could only run short patterns in each game
Article by By Venie Randy Soares

Van Jefferson

"During the second half of the season, Jefferson battled through a knee injury that he suffered in week eight. Although his presence on weekly injury reports lasted until the Super Bowl, he still lined up for 85+ percent of offensive snaps.

As the Rams number three receiver, he produced 50 catches for 802 yards and six touchdowns. In the playoff run he added nine catches for 102 yards."

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I am on page 2, and I agree with pretty much everyone in this thread. What a great dicussion to even be having. Just think how far this team has come. We're discussing the merits of our 3rd string WR..... I think back to when Brandon Gibson was our #1. Life for Rams fans is so much fun right now.