Is Tre Mason fast?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

fearsomefour

Legend
40 times of top 10 rushers last season:

Jamaal Charles 4.36
DeMarco Murray 4.37
Adrian Peterson 4.40
Matt Forte 4.44
Ryan Mathews 4.45
Marshawn Lynch 4.46
LeSean McCoy 4.50
Frank Gore 4.55
Eddie Lacy 4.64
Alfred Morris 4.67

4.50 seems fast enough
Yeah, he is fine.
Straight line speed (in shorts no less) is the most overrated stat in football. Vision, ability to change direction, understanding and using angles ect., way more important than 2 or 3 tenths of a second on a 40 time.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
40 times of top 10 rushers last season:

Jamaal Charles 4.36
DeMarco Murray 4.37
Adrian Peterson 4.40
Matt Forte 4.44
Ryan Mathews 4.45
Marshawn Lynch 4.46
LeSean McCoy 4.50
Frank Gore 4.55
Eddie Lacy 4.64
Alfred Morris 4.67

4.50 seems fast enough

McCoy ran a 4.5?? He seems WAY faster then that. But I understand the whole wearing shorts on a track thing.

Athos

Legend
Even despite the huge holes, tell Mizzou he isn't fast.

He doesn't "look" fast, but he just bursts by you. More quick than fast and in the NFL, quickness means more. If you get the first step through a hole, you aren't really going to get caught from behind all that often, and if you do, it'll be 15+ yards down the field.

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
Fast enough to make plays with his other skills, it's going to be nice fellas watching Stacy and Tre kick the shit out of other teams.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
I watched every carry for 2 games (70+ carries) and he hits the hole very hard, when there is no room....no dancing....strong legs, quick,not fast.Fast enough to hit corner and turn (which Zac doesn't do so much)

tbux

Rookie
He was actually my favorite RB in the draft. I love how hard he runs- with real conviction ala Marshawn. I think he is going to be very good and eventually replace Stacy. Real talent.

10 yard times and 20 yard shuttle of top 10 rushers last season:

Jamaal Charles U - 4.22
DeMarco Murray 1.52 - 4.18
Adrian Peterson 1.53 - 4.4
Matt Forte 1.49 - 4.23
Ryan Mathews U - 4.33
Marshawn Lynch U - 4.58
LeSean McCoy 1.52 - 4.18
Frank Gore U - 4.11
Eddie Lacy 1.63 - U
Alfred Morris U - 4.19

Tre Mason 1.50 - 4.15

So Mason ran the initial 10 yards of the 40 yard dash faster than 4 of 5, and ran the 20 yard shuttle faster than 8 of 9.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
4.49 seems fast enough...and it's the difference in millions of $$$$ at most of the skilled positions, as it relates to the draft....LT's too

FRO

Legend
I thought Tre was the best RB in the draft and had the remaining 2013 season went the way the first 4 games went, I would have wanted him in the second round. We didn't need him, but he was way too good to pass up in the third round. He will be a very good player in this league.

nighttrain

Legend
He doesn't look overly fast to me either, but he does have good burst and a low center of gravity.
Looks like a slightly smaller Ray Rice.
when he gets by line of scrimmage he is seldom caught from behind, football fast
train

Rams43

Hall of Fame
As so many have stated, he's plenty fast enough.

But quickness, seeing holes, anticipation, and sharp cuts are his game, really.

If our revamped OL is anywhere near as good as we anticipate, more (and bigger) holes will be there, and both Stacy and Mason should FEAST this year. Hell, Cunningham and Pead as well, if necessary.

RamzFanz

Damnit
The kid has vision and fast side to side moves. He's patient enough to let the hole develope but doesn't dance around and get trapped. He also has a second gear when he's open. He can take a hit and deliver one too.

What I LOVE about his style is that he doesn't overuse his moves. He keeps the ball moving downfield. He gets every yard he can without risking getting caged in trying to be too fancy.

If Saffold and Robinson deliver holes, he, Stacey, and Cunningham are going to be very fun to watch! I'm also willing to bet ROD $ that he becomes a KR star!

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
The kid has vision and fast side to side moves. He's patient enough to let the hole develope but doesn't dance around and get trapped. He also has a second gear when he's open. He can take a hit and deliver one too.

What I LOVE about his style is that he doesn't overuse his moves. He keeps the ball moving downfield. He gets every yard he can without risking getting caged in trying to be too fancy.

If Saffold and Robinson deliver holes, he, Stacey, and Cunningham are going to be very fun to watch! I'm also willing to bet ROD $ that he becomes a KR star!

Nice. Watched it all (again). Still looks like Rice to me, and that includes his hands. Just another weapon that works well in space. The fact that he can be a good receiving option out of the backfield is going to help him secure some quality playing time this year. Up to Schotty now. Yeah, I said it.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Nice. Watched it all (again). Still looks like Rice to me, and that includes his hands. Just another weapon that works well in space. The fact that he can be a good receiving option out of the backfield is going to help him secure some quality playing time this year. Up to Schotty now. Yeah, I said it.

I love how conservative and multi-faceted his moves are. He jigs or jumps or speed changes just enough to get past his obstacle without sacrificing momentum. Very tight and intentional moves.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I love how conservative and multi-faceted his moves are. He jigs or jumps or speed changes just enough to get past his obstacle without sacrificing momentum. Very tight and intentional moves.
Yep. Now ... will it translate? That's my *only* concern with him. Obviously everyone at this level is much faster, and not every RB can overcome that.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Yep. Now ... will it translate? That's my *only* concern with him. Obviously everyone at this level is much faster, and not every RB can overcome that.

Yep. So true.

He definitely has a higher level skill set though. He seems to have a very good grasp of how to get a low center of gravity and set his feet and make his momentum work for him. I'm impressed by how he's in the middle of making a tackler miss and seems to be preparing for the next guy. A quick jig and a second later he's splitting two guys with a speed change. Good instincts.

My biggest hope game one is that this translates to a good kick return game. Rams really need that without over-using TA.

He wasn't on my radar before the draft and I thought it was a strange pick for the Rams but now I see why.