Is Tre Mason fast?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
I know his combine numbers weren't great. I think he only ran around a 4.5. But is he fast on tape? He looks it in his highlights but unfortunately I'm not a scout. Thoughts?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
He doesn't look overly fast to me either, but he does have good burst and a low center of gravity.
Looks like a slightly smaller Ray Rice.

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
He doesn't look overly fast to me either, but he does have good burst and a low center of gravity.
Looks like a slightly smaller Ray Rice.
If he's a Rice clone, I'm a happy camper/ Rams fan!

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
If he's a Rice clone, I'm a happy camper/ Rams fan!
Well, it certainly remains to be seen if he can replicate Rice's success. I'm just saying that's who he reminds me of.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
He is more quick than fast and very quick in small spaces. He is not a burner but fast enough to score from most spots on the field

JRobinson

MiLB
Way more shifty than straight line speed. He won't ever run away from many secondary defenders but he will make em miss.

A55VA6

Legend
Runs a 4.5 flat, so he's got decent speed. He's more shifty and quick than he is fast though. He's a very balanced RB.

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
I noticed in all of his highlight film that he never broke free and ran for a long TD. He was always caught. He will still be a very good "change of pace" RB that will help the team.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks for the responses. I would have to agree with you guys. He certainly looks quick but not extremely fast. To be completely honest, I created him in madden, so I wanted to make sure I had his speed correct(y) Obviously I wanted to also know what kind of change of pace he could provide. I think Tavon could be a crazy good 3rd down back too.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
There aren't a whole lot of RBs that make a living running away from people in the NFL. He seems to have good vision and quickness and can break some tackles at the line by initiating some of the contact.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Tre Mason to me is an identical player to DeAngelo Williams, if you're familiar with him.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
He's plenty fast enough. Speed isn't everything at the position. Just look at D-Rich.

PrometheusFaulk

Starter
What really jumps out at me watching him is his vision. He has a really high level of understanding of where his blockers are going to be, and how to time hitting the hole just right.

I'd say that's a better attribute for a back than straight line speed.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
When you're running behind Greg "bulldozer" Robinson you don't have to be that fast.
PI-CFB-Auburn-Greg-Robinson-Tre-Mason-051214.vadapt.620.medium.0.jpg

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
When you're running behind Greg "bulldozer" Robinson you don't have to be that fast.
PI-CFB-Auburn-Greg-Robinson-Tre-Mason-051214.vadapt.620.medium.0.jpg

Robinson/Mason combo success goes together just a the Allison Transmission /Duramax Diesel. Together they are UNstopable! Never overheats, runs smooth the tight places, shifts at the right time with the appropriate loads, can take the long tough rough lanes & always gets you home safe so you can score@ the end.

A well built & talented designed OL can make a clunker look like a Eric Dickerson on every play.

Last edited:

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
4.5 is good speed for a RB. You need change-of-direction, vision, strength and stocky speediness more than you need straight-ahead blazing footspeed. For every CJ2K, there's a billion Trung Canidates.

Now I don't know that Mason has the makings of a great NFL back, but let's not get hung up on his combine 40 time.

40 times of top 10 rushers last season:

Jamaal Charles 4.36
DeMarco Murray 4.37
Adrian Peterson 4.40
Matt Forte 4.44
Ryan Mathews 4.45
Marshawn Lynch 4.46
LeSean McCoy 4.50
Frank Gore 4.55
Eddie Lacy 4.64
Alfred Morris 4.67

4.50 seems fast enough