Is this the NEW Rams?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamzFanz

Damnit
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm not saying Clemens is the guy. I'm saying SB doesn't bring that much more to the table to justify his salary. Unless he comes back and tears it up the Rams shouldn't resign him anywhere near what he currently makes. Take the money and upgrade other positions IMO.

When he went out he was top what this season? 8? 7? If the Rams weren't dropping an ungodly number of passes, where would he have ranked? If they had had a running game the first 6 weeks, where would he have been?

I wouldn't write him off. With the team they are building, I don't see that you start some rookie in a new system. He seems to be coming into his own at the exact right time.

If the Rams shore up the O line in the off season, this could be a lights out O with Sam at the helm.

bskrilla

Starter
I'm not saying Clemens is the guy. I'm saying SB doesn't bring that much more to the table to justify his salary. Unless he comes back and tears it up the Rams shouldn't resign him anywhere near what he currently makes. Take the money and upgrade other positions IMO.

I think pretty much everyone would agree he's overpaid, but that's not his fault. That's the fault of the old system.

But before he got hurt he was easily in the top 10 QB's in the league in all major categories. He bring SO much more to the table than KC.

The reason this team has looked so much better over the last 3 games has everything to do with the defense playing lights out, and a running game being among the best in football.

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
When he went out he was top what this season? 8? 7? If the Rams weren't dropping an ungodly number of passes, where would he have ranked? If they had had a running game the first 6 weeks, where would he have been?

I wouldn't write him off. With the team they are building, I don't see that you start some rookie in a new system. He seems to be coming into his own at the exact right time.

If the Rams shore up the O line in the off season, this could be a lights out O with Sam at the helm.

I wouldn't write him off either. I just wouldn't pay him a kings ransom anymore. If he wants 15-20 mil per season like Manning and Brady then he needs to be playing at that level. He's had a few games where he looked like he might get to that level.

I know the WR's dropped some passes but at the same time SB leaves a lot of plays on the field because he doesn't see them. It's a two way street. How good would this team have been if he saw the open WR more often?

If the Rams had a running game the first 6 weeks they would have won a couple more games. Which sort of supports what I'm saying. SB's impact isn't as significant as people think. It's the other things that make the difference. A run game, better D, better play calling....

Ram_of_Old

I'm looking back at the Rams since ZS was finally inserted into the starting lineup.

Win - Jaguars, Win - Texans, SB knocked out of game - L to Panthers, Almost beat Seahawks in final seconds, Almost beat Titans in final seconds, Stomp the life out of Colts.

The almost win against the Hawks, win against the Colts, coming out of TA, intensity and effectiveness of the ST against the Colts, the Amazing Quinn and the Zac Attack have me rethinking the Rams season.

If the secondary can play at a higher level, is this team is a serious threat to win every week?

Yes?

Have the young guys gotten it together to a point that they are now able to play at that level every week or was the Colts game an aberration?

I think they may just be breaking out and making a run that will impress.

You realize the only reason I came to this thread was your Avatar? WOW!!!!:nau::nau::nau::nau::bigup:

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim

Yeah he was only on pace to throw for 30 something TDs this year even with the plays called back and drops this year.

Would that have been enough to be paid like the 14th highest paid QB in the league????

fearsomefour

Legend
With Zac Stacy & back up'd by Benny Cunningham will demand those LB'ers & safeties to think run first. I am looking forward to see if Right OG Saffold can re-deliver on those pull out blocks to spring them... Plus when Harvey Dahl is healthy seeing what Boudreau will do with Saffold & that weak link @ Left OG???

I have to say there is something special about Zac & Benny combo for this team. Its nice to have finally found some real good RB's on this Ram roster. If I were Fisher & Shotty I would be trying to get Pead in a position to develop as a excellent third down back to go with Zac & Benny. That should not be too hard for Pead to handle as the third back. I am not all that high on DR. Looks like we are set @ RB for a while with these five.
All good points. But, the approach of the Oline has changed as well. Wells, Dahl, Long have all been straight ahead power run blockers….the Rams allowing them to do THAT instead of stretch play stuff has lead as much to the running success as the RB I think. I would like to see Smith replace Williams for the balance of the season (or until Dahl comes back) at LG. Two G that can pull well would be fun to match with a C that playing well in the running game as well. Stacy is a great match for the what the line is doing. See the hole, hit it and get yards after contact….a find of a RB for sure, very exciting.

RamzFanz

Damnit
I wouldn't write him off either. I just wouldn't pay him a kings ransom anymore. If he wants 15-20 mil per season like Manning and Brady then he needs to be playing at that level. He's had a few games where he looked like he might get to that level.

I know the WR's dropped some passes but at the same time SB leaves a lot of plays on the field because he doesn't see them. It's a two way street. How good would this team have been if he saw the open WR more often?

If the Rams had a running game the first 6 weeks they would have won a couple more games. Which sort of supports what I'm saying. SB's impact isn't as significant as people think. It's the other things that make the difference. A run game, better D, better play calling....

I don't have any problem paying him less until he has a big season if he doesn't.

The issue is you build your team to fit your QB. I want a huge season. If you start over now with a new QB, when does that happen? Steve Young took what? 3 years?

The ultimate question, IMO, is can we have a huge season, and many seasons with this team, the next draft, and SB as the QB. I think yes. He's seasoned and improving every season. My biggest concern is his injuries. I would draft a solid prospect to take over just in case.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

All good points. But, the approach of the Oline has changed as well. Wells, Dahl, Long have all been straight ahead power run blockers….the Rams allowing them to do THAT instead of stretch play stuff has lead as much to the running success as the RB I think. I would like to see Smith replace Williams for the balance of the season (or until Dahl comes back) at LG. Two G that can pull well would be fun to match with a C that playing well in the running game as well. Stacy is a great match for the what the line is doing. See the hole, hit it and get yards after contact….a find of a RB for sure, very exciting.

Jake Long would seem to be more effective when the offense runs the ball on a more consistent basis. Long's game @ this point in his career is greatly improved when he is not asked to constantly set up in pass protection.

As fur Joe Barksdale @ ROT...his game as strange as it may seem is the opposite of Jake's...Joe likes to pass block??? He has those extra long arms on a 6-4 frame that measure over 36 inches long that sure make it so easy for him to just use them and direct his man the long way right of the center of the pocket. Joe has big problems with speeders ..blitzing LB'ers & DBs are still giving him issues. Joe needs to get better at completing his run blocks with sometimes is short in duration & mild in his approach to put it best. I am not as in love with Joe as most of the ROD'mers like you & other professional sports pages & rating pages ... as we have discussed but I it is his first season basically as a starter so I believe he will get better.

Joe's assigned partner is Harvey Dahl, who may be showing some age now...never a gifted or talented run blocker or pass blocker but a sure true grit good around type (mean guy)..PASSION is his game! Got to love him:sly:. I have to take a look strongly now @ my Favorite Ram OL'er ..... the 33 yr old Harvey has had two bad injuries in back to back seasons now...missing games is this something to look further into?? Nothing too serious a bicep tear that IR'd him in game 13 last season missing most of 3 games when we were in the playoff hunt but with his absence came up short & now currently a MCL injury... and missing more games with this knee ... I am guessing here but most likely third grade sprain of some type. As we know age & injuries do mount up & as with normal NFL players cause a degrading in on field performance. Harvey has had a serious Ankle/Achilles injury back in 2009 that placed him on IR too. Harvey is the starting ORG this post is usually the most powerful and run grader type of all NFL OL positions....Harvey @ 6-6 306 pounds does not fulfill that need on a teams desiring to run the ball in a tough manner. Harvey is basically a pure OT tackle body frame playing OG post. A plus for Harvey is he is a decent emergency back up right OT good to have around once Saffold departs. Harvey will cost 8 million against the cap 2013/2014 this situation IMO bares watching in the off season. Remember it was Boudreau who move a unknown ex UDFA 9er Right Tackle then a Falcon into the starting ORG post in 2008. IMO Harvey would make us a good reserve right side OL'er in 2014/2015...I would have to cut Harvey save the 4 mil and resign him to a two season contract @ cap hit around 3 mil for those two seasons. Rams would have a vet plug in type Ol'er who has NFL game starting experience to plug in @ ORT & ORG until your rookie OT/OG's are warmed up & ready.

The ongoing rotation of Chris Williams UFA & Shelley Smith RFA @ OLG indicates that neither have separated themselves from the other. Boudreau may be making sure he is ready to move on from Chris & find a new starter in 2014. Smith IMO is the better puller & run blocker by far & that's where we seem to be going so Shelley is who I would start. Scott Wells is on a roll his run blocking is so so fearsomefour but he is effective now healthy.

In conclusion it looks like the OL will have to go under some refurbishing, reconstruction & remodeling in 2014 in order to run the ball more effectively.

fearsomefour

Legend

I guess what I was trying to say was getting away from the stretch plays and that style of blocking has been beneficial. Trapping, pulling ect. that is all power run blocking to me. I agree no big separation between Williams and Smith, but, Smith played well when in and has the ability to pull and get to the second level.

RamzFanz

Damnit
So, who is now leaning towards my original post?

I'm pretty sure, this team has made a quantum leap the last 4-5 weeks.

fearsomefour

Legend
I did notice the Rams mixing in some zone blocking in their run game today….couple of times that I saw. I dont think this is their strong suit. But, today, it all worked for the most part.

tonyl711

Starter
getting back to the point of this thread. I believe you are seeing a young team that is finally starting to realize their potential, I think Fisher has instilled a never say die confidence in this team. I believe we can go 8 and 8 this season if not better. with this team all growing together this season, we should be a pretty damn good team next season.

jap

Legend
getting back to the point of this thread. I believe you are seeing a young team that is finally starting to realize their potential, I think Fisher has instilled a never say die confidence in this team. I believe we can go 8 and 8 this season if not better. with this team all growing together this season, we should be a pretty damn good team next season.

In a QB-favored league our starting QB went down. That takes the pressure off our guys because they are not supposed to win now. We can work on fundamentals, we can develop our youth, and we can have FUN while doing it!

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
I think Bradford going down was a blessing mixed in with a lot of curse, you don't want Bradford to go down, but I think it taught these guys that Bradford isn't going to be around all the time, and that they can't lean on him all the time to make shit happen for them and that they had to make it happen themselves. Really feels like these guys are coming into their own, I can't wait to see this team with Bradford.

jap

Legend
I think Bradford going down was a blessing mixed in with a lot of curse, you don't want Bradford to go down, but I think it taught these guys that Bradford isn't going to be around all the time, and that they can't lean on him all the time to make shyte happen for them and that they had to make it happen themselves. Really feels like these guys are coming into their own, I can't wait to see this team with Bradford.

That's always a possible hidden blessing whenever a team leader goes down. All of our young 'uns have to grow up pretty quick now, and they're doing it. We have a bullseye on all collective '9er butts right now!

Last edited by a moderator:

RamzFanz

Damnit
Austin needs like 5 more touches a game in the offense.

I agree. I don't get it. Give him the ball in the open field and/or blocking = TD.

I just don't get the sparse use of his amazing talents.