Is the rebuild over now?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
SANDO: St. Louis Rams: Excitement about the future is justified for a team with so many young and highly drafted players. How ready will those players be in September? That question is difficult to answer. By my early calculations, the projected starters for the Rams' division rivals will rank among the NFL leaders in most combined 2012 starts. The Rams' projected starters will rank at or near the bottom. That's probably a good thing for the Rams in the long term. It's just tough to know for sure what it all means right away.

<a class="postlink" href="http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/101715/raining-on-nfc-west-offseason-parade" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/ ... son-parade</a>

----------------

That's gotta be about it, yeah? We're close to done turning over the roster now I would hope. It looks like we've got a nice group of young players to serve as the core and build around now, so let's get started on that chemistry thing and run the tables on this biatch.

bluecoconuts

Legend
I think we're about there... I don't think we'll see much in terms of major roster overhauls, I think it's going to be more about adding to what we have now... Next year I'm thinking we get a few new starters, and then we'll be drafting for depth to grow and replace guys as they get older.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
I don't think it's completely over, however it's pretty close to being over.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Assuming Sam works out (he should), we'll be adding guys that will replace guys getting long in the tooth, or maybe possibly expensive guys going to FA..LOOKING GOOD!

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
I still worry about the safety position but other than that I think the rebuild is over.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I say not even close, here's why.

First of all, IF it's over then the expectation is as presently constituted it has the pieces that will determine the coaches fate. We aren't at that point, we possessed a draft position and a roster of has beens and never was' when Fisher came on board and we have yet to avail ourselves of all of the value of that original draft position.
As we saw this year with two first round choices the Snead Fisher combo is willing to trade up for an impact player,I can surely see a replay of that on next years horizon and whomsoever that may be I expect to be way more than what one would term a "nice addition" I expect a difference maker.
More? a coach under any owner of average bent gets three years to rebuild a woebegone team ,Fisher gets at least that much so I say 2/3 of the way .
Like AL says safety, I say LB, maybe someone who can be a bell cow back,or even sopmeone that will relegate Quinnto situational status if his run defense doesn't improve.

Most of all if I say it is close my expectation is high , but for now my expectation is not as high as my hopes are.
One more thing ,there is the issue of the stadium, the new one , the one where we go for the threepeat at home

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
A few of you will know why I shook my head briefly when I saw the topic for this thread.

I think from this point forward any tinkering with the roster would be retooling. The reclamation project is therefore mostly completed and should be essentially wrapped up next offseason.

During the 07 season when Linehan had the team auguring into the turf a poster at the now defunct Rams Huddle board said the team would take 7 years to fix. Everyone thought it was a crazy thing to say. Everyone thout in two or three years the team would be playoff bound, it would just take a couple of good drafts. Turns out that guy was smarter than the rest of us at least about that.

Those "good drafts" never happened. The string of poor drafting continued and ended up being 13 years long!!!

I've not been this excited about the season starting since 99-01. Normally I don't care much about pre season.....this year I'm going too simply because there is something to CARE about.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Thordaddy said:

First of all, IF it's over then the expectation is as presently constituted it has the pieces that will determine the coaches fate. We aren't at that point, we possessed a draft position and a roster of has beens and never was' when Fisher came on board and we have yet to avail ourselves of all of the value of that original draft position.
As we saw this year with two first round choices the Snead Fisher combo is willing to trade up for an impact player,I can surely see a replay of that on next years horizon and whomsoever that may be I expect to be way more than what one would term a "nice addition" I expect a difference maker.
More? a coach under any owner of average bent gets three years to rebuild a woebegone team ,Fisher gets at least that much so I say 2/3 of the way .
Like AL says safety, I say LB, maybe someone who can be a bell cow back,or even sopmeone that will relegate Quinnto situational status if his run defense doesn't improve.

Most of all if I say it is close my expectation is high , but for now my expectation is not as high as my hopes are.
One more thing ,there is the issue of the stadium, the new one , the one where we go for the threepeat at home

Fair enough.

I will say I dont think that we will know exactly what this team needs until the season is at least half over and maybe more. Safeties may step up and play just fine and the WRs could end up regressing leaving that as the area of need. We have to see what happens, this team is young enough that predictions are a little iffy.

I'm in the camp of retooling though, the heavy lifting is done I think. Now it's a matter of finding the final areas to fix and then unleashing the monster that will be the new Rams on the unsuspecting NFL. :sly:

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
LesBaker said:
Thordaddy said:

Fair enough.

I will say I dont think that we will know exactly what this team needs until the season is at least half over and maybe more. Safeties may step up and play just fine and the WRs could end up regressing leaving that as the area of need. We have to see what happens, this team is young enough that predictions are a little iffy.

I'm in the camp of retooling though, the heavy lifting is done I think. Now it's a matter of finding the final areas to fix and then unleashing the monster that will be the new Rams on the unsuspecting NFL. :sly:
Yeah and FWIW we can agree it was/is a rebuild,or disagree that it wasn't without feelings needing to be hurt.
Glad to be here, glad as glad can be. :cool:

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
Thordaddy reasoned:

The whole concept of a "rebuild" is nebulous at best. A point that you and I have learned in the very contentious fight at The Huddle. When does rebuild end and filling holes begin? I think the team rebuild is finished and the remaining work that still needs to be done comes under the heading of area rebuilds or just referred to as upgrades.

Look at Arizona as an example. Their O-line needed rebuilding in the worst way but their D was stellar. They changed QBs too but I'm not sure that was really necessary. Are they in a rebuild ? Is it finished? They started out 4-0 and beat some really good teams doing it. I think there are only a few teams that are really in a team rebuild. The Jags would be a good example of that.

I'm with you about the work that still needs to be done in the LB area. I think Dunbar is merely a place holder until we can get a good replacement for him next year.

RB might be another area rebuild that needs to happen. Or like many of us think, we already have the necessary pieces in place. We'll find out soon.

As for the draft bounty we haven't completely used up yet, I think that's outside the rebuild equation. Having extra picks at high or low levels from trades and such will always be part of a teams resources. Teams just have to take advantage of them when they come.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
The house has been torn down.

The new structure is up.

Floors are in. Walls are painted.

But we haven't fully decorated yet and the house hasn't settled.

I think we have way too much youth to believe we'll be at our best in 2013. We might make a playoff run... and who knows how far we could go. I'm willing to dream big... but give this team a little seasoning plus the 2014 draft and we're in serious business.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
CGI_Ram a living testament to the fact that burgers are greatly underestimated as a brain food:
The house has been torn down.

The new structure is up.

Floors are in. Walls are painted.

But we haven't fully decorated yet and the house hasn't settled.

I think we have way too much youth to believe we'll be at our best in 2013. We might make a playoff run... and who knows how far we could go. I'm willing to dream big... but give this team a little seasoning plus the 2014 draft and we're in serious business.
:plus1: :good1:

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
It's over when the Rams make post season and as Lions found out last season, it might not be over even when that happens. Overall the Rams are a team on the rise and all of us realize it is far different from the 7-9 season of 2010.

However, there are still some depth issues like at DT and other areas of the team that need to develop. My hope this year is the offensive line finally takes that giant step forward instead of two steps back as in years past.

wv

Rookie
Well everything is relative. So, it wont matter if the Rams have built a good team
if the Seahawks and 49ers have built even better teams.

And right this moment, its hard to say who's built, what.

Each NFC West game is going to be brutal. Maybe too brutal.

w
v

Lesson

Oh, really?
albefree69 said:
The whole concept of a "rebuild" is nebulous at best. A point that you and I have learned in the very contentious fight at The Huddle. When does rebuild end and filling holes begin? I think the team rebuild is finished and the remaining work that still needs to be done comes under the heading of area rebuilds or just referred to as upgrades.

Look at Arizona as an example. Their O-line needed rebuilding in the worst way but their D was stellar. They changed QBs too but I'm not sure that was really necessary. Are they in a rebuild ? Is it finished? They started out 4-0 and beat some really good teams doing it. I think there are only a few teams that are really in a team rebuild. The Jags would be a good example of that.

I'm with you about the work that still needs to be done in the LB area. I think Dunbar is merely a place holder until we can get a good replacement for him next year.

RB might be another area rebuild that needs to happen. Or like many of us think, we already have the necessary pieces in place. We'll find out soon.

As for the draft bounty we haven't completely used up yet, I think that's outside the rebuild equation. Having extra picks at high or low levels from trades and such will always be part of a teams resources. Teams just have to take advantage of them when they come.

Arizona has had a blackhole at QB since Warner retired. I don't expect that to change with Palmer, who is an upgrade over Lindley and Skelton, and possibly Kolb if healthy. However, their DL and LB(aside from Washington) are up there in age. Their secondary should be fine. They are just starting to rebuild, IMO.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I never figured this would turn contentious, and it wasn't my objective to see it if would or not. It was Sando's comment that the Rams (yet again) have one of the youngest teams in the league, and now (again) their skill position players on offense haven't accumulated a lot of playing time together -- e.g., it's all new to everyone (again). I understand it was a huge undertaking (again), but I want for it to stabilize now. Level out. Let's turn to the part of the process where everyone begins to think as one. Act as one. Win as one. That's the part of the process to which I'm most looking forward.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Simply put. Yes - the rebuild is over. And I don't mean because we have all our positions set with adequate back-ups. The rebuild is over because we have rebuilt the ORGANIZATION. Owner wanting to build a winner and willing to shell out to do it, brilliant COO, tireless GM, and a coaching staff that is quite possibly second to none. We will continue to get and keep the players we are after.

We're going to have some growing pains but the rebuild is OVER. :peace:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
RamFan503 said:
Simply put. Yes - the rebuild is over. And I don't mean because we have all our positions set with adequate back-ups. The rebuild is over because we have rebuilt the ORGANIZATION. Owner wanting to build a winner and willing to shell out to do it, brilliant COO, tireless GM, and a coaching staff that is quite possibly second to none. We will continue to get and keep the players we are after.

We're going to have some growing pains but the rebuild is OVER. :peace:

Its hard to argue with that.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

PrometheusFaulk

Starter
In a way, it's just semantics, after all whether a team is "rebuilding" or not, teams usually draft about the same amount of guys, have the same to spend in FA, have guys get old, injured, etc. Teams are always rising and falling in the NFL.