Is the Rams defense still strong?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
http://isportsweb.com/2016/07/09/los-angeles-rams-strong-defense-remain/

Now, before you get up in arms defending the Los Angeles Rams defense, this examination is not meant to be an indictment of the group. Rather, there were a few offseason moves that would point at the defense being drastically different from what it looked like a few years ago. The secondary will particularly look quite different, and veteran leaders have left the squad for other places. This is not to say that the Rams’ defense will not remain strong, as defensive coordinator Gregg Williams seems to always whip this group into shape, but it would be remiss to not take a look at each of the position groups and their projected starters, and how strong they are coming off of last season.

Note: The starters that have been selected started for a majority of the season, not necessarily the day one starters.

Defensive Line

2015 starters: DE Robert Quinn, DT Aaron Donald, DT Michael Brockers, DE Chris Long

2016 projected starters: DE Robert Quinn, DT Aaron Donald, DT Michael Brockers, DE William Hayes

There’s only one change amongst the starters here, but for Rams fans that made the migration to Los Angeles, it’s a big one. Chris Long has long been a leader on defense, but he was far from the best player along that line. His best asset was a high-motor, which, coupled with two stellar pass-rushers in Robert Quinn and Aaron Donald, made him an excellent addition along the line. However, it’s not uncommon to see veterans cast aside to make some cap space, and with Donald’s emergence as the heart and soul of the line, there’s no way to see this line as a true downgrade.

The biggest question along this line is whether or not Quinn will return to form. He should be aided by the fact that Donald will attract much of the attention along the line, but he must remain healthy for the combination to work out. William Hayes and Eugene Sims will be competing for the other end spot, but the nod goes to Hayes for his ability to adapt to situations. Sims will be phenomenal rotational depth, but either is a good option. It has long been said that the Rams’ line depth could start on most teams’ defenses, and this season will test that with Sims and Hayes.

The team will also bring back Ethan Westbrooks, and added Quinton Coples and Dominique Easley in free agency, which should provide good depth along the line. However, this is a Rams team that gave up 113.8 yards per game on the ground, and only came in 11th in total sacks in the league. They must play better than they did last season, and they cannot rely solely on Aaron Donald.

Linebackers

2015 starters: LB Mark Barron, MLB James Laurinaitis, LB Akeem Ayers

2016 projected starters: LB Mark Barron, MLB Alec Ogletree, LB Akeem Ayers

Much like the defensive line, the changes along the linebacking corps are mostly in the departure of a veteran linebacker. James Laurinaitis was another leader on the defense and a captain, but has since made his way elsewhere after being cut by Los Angeles Rams in the offseason. His role will be taken over by former first round pick Alec Ogletree, who moves over from the weak-side. Ogletree was hurt for a majority of last season, but has shown ability in his play since being drafted. Barron has adapted well to his new role as a linebacker, and Akeem Ayers was a solid free agency acquisition a year ago. However, this corps will need to play well behind a good defensive line if the Rams front-seven is to make a lot of noise.

There could be an adjustment process for Ogletree, who was a converted safety in college and now moves to the middle of the defense. Ayers and Barron will also have to adapt well to their starting roles, as they are no longer rotational pieces as they were a year ago. The depth along the second level is largely unproven and young, so look for plenty of answers about their abilities in the pre-season and in training camp. Overall, however, this group is young and athletic, but they must deliver to help improve the Rams’ statistical rankings.

Secondary

2015 starters: CB Trumaine Johnson, FS Rodney McLeod, SS T.J. McDonald, CB Janoris Jenkins

2016 projected starters: CB Trumaine Johnson, DB LaMarcus Joyner, S T.J. McDonald, CB E.J. Gaines

Well, here’s where the biggest changes on defense occurred. Entering the offseason, the Los Angeles front office stated that figuring out the team’s secondary was a primary concern. Well, looking at the results of that attempt, it’s easy to see why they wanted to do that. Janoris Jenkins was extremely talented, but signed a deal with the Giants, while Rodney McLeod got a better offer in Philadelphia.

So this leaves the Los Angeles Rams with Trumaine Johnson playing on a franchise tag deal, and E.J. Gaines taking the other starting spot back after being hurt for all of last season. T.J. McDonald has the potential to be an All-Star safety, but he is dealing with legal issues stemming from a DUI in May. McLeod’s departure has left the team without a clear option at free safety, which I just slotted to LaMarcus Joyner. Joyner may be the best suited for the position, but the team is bent on making him the nickelback, so perhaps Christian Bryant, Cody Davis, or Maurice Alexander will get the nod. In any case, the secondary is tremendously different from a year ago, and with no guarantee of Johnson signing a long-term deal, they could look unrecognizable in 2017.

The Rams are coming off a season where they gave up 254 yards per game (23rd in the league) and tied for 17th in the league in interceptions with 13 on the year.

Is the defense still strong?

Yes, the defense is still as good as it was a year ago. It would be ignorant to say that the team’s defense still isn’t stacked along the line, and the linebackers are a good complement to that group. By year’s end, the front-seven could be one of the league’s best. However, the problems are in the fact that the secondary is still a huge question mark, and that the team has not performed statistically great. The fact of the matter is that the Rams did not finish in the top ten of any of the following defensive statistics: Yards per game, rushing yards per game, passing yards per game, sacks, and points per game. Opposing quarterbacks average a 90.4 passer rating. The defense is good in theory and when you watch them on the field, but the stats don’t reflect that.

It’s not all bad though. The Rams were a top-ten team in takeaways, which is absolutely tremendous. This defense is also continuously growing, and with the departure of veterans like Chris Long and James Laurinaitis, the team will continue to grow and learn. This year simply boils down to younger players getting better and taking the next big step in their progression.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The other part is that we hopefully wil have an Offense that makes a few more 3rd down conversions. Any defense that is on the field for 45 minutes (approximatation for my rant), isn't going to be great stats wise.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Interesting topic.

Here's my ultra simplified projection.

The linchpin for our D's '16 status is Quinn's health. If he's 100%, we are in great shape. If not, we will struggle. Could say the same about Donald, but he's currently very healthy.

Hayes > '15 Long. Not really close.

Ogletree projects > '15 J Lau.

Gaines will be the overall equal of Jenkins, imo. Each does some things better than the other. I'm actually more comfortable with Gaines, TBH.

So thus far, the '16 version appears to be superior to the '15 version. At least to me.

Which leaves deep S. BTW, I don't see Joyner as our deep S. Or rather, I don't think our coaching staff does. I think he's their slot CB, period.

So, the question becomes whether one of Alexander, Bryant, Davis, Randolph, or ??? Can replace McLeod. I think there will be bumps and bruises, but I'm pretty sure that one of them not only can, but will. Alexander seems to have the inside track with the coaches.

Am I being too optimistic about deep S? Maybe. But remember, the development of the secondary is in the wheelhouse of this coaching staff and I'm certain that they already are following a plan.

How did I do?

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Interesting topic.

Here's my ultra simplified projection.

The linchpin for our D's '16 status is Quinn's health. If he's 100%, we are in great shape. If not, we will struggle. Could say the same about Donald, but he's currently very healthy.

Hayes > '15 Long. Not really close.

Ogletree projects > '15 J Lau.

Gaines will be the overall equal of Jenkins, imo. Each does some things better than the other. I'm actually more comfortable with Gaines, TBH.

So thus far, the '16 version appears to be superior to the '15 version. At least to me.

Which leaves deep S. BTW, I don't see Joyner as our deep S. Or rather, I don't think our coaching staff does. I think he's their slot CB, period.

So, the question becomes whether one of Alexander, Bryant, Davis, Randolph, or ??? Can replace McLeod. I think there will be bumps and bruises, but I'm pretty sure that one of them not only can, but will. Alexander seems to have the inside track with the coaches.

Am I being too optimistic about deep S? Maybe. But remember, the development of the secondary is in the wheelhouse of this coaching staff and I'm certain that they already are following a plan.

How did I do?

You putting a lot of faith in Gaines imho i dont think he is going to be good at all this year.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
You putting a lot of faith in Gaines imho i dont think he is going to be good at all this year.

Yes, I am putting a lot of faith in Gaines, Dx.

But I'm not the only one. The Ram coaches are, too.

And they've forgotten more about CB play than I'll ever know.

Sooooo...

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW

I can't figure out why you would think that.o_O

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
I think the D will come out strong this year. Only Tree and whoever starts at FS will be new starters and they both will have 3 years with the team so I think they will be ready to play fast and minimize mistakes. The big thing that I'm excited about looking at the D on paper is there is no glaring weakness when it comes to speed. Every level is shaping up to match up with every O they see. Health will be the key as always. If Quinn and Tree are playing well, this will be a top 5 D IMO.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Interesting take....

D-line is instantly better.....Quinn's health, plus new additions, minus old vets...= better d-line

Ayers, Tree, and JL55 replaced by
Ayers, Tree, and Barron....obvious upgrade......

JJ...the more Jenkins highlights I watch..I think about the mistakes...that play at the end of the 2nd quarter...McLeod too...those two....
I'm feeling Roberson, EJ, hell I like Troy Hill...anybody decent with our rush is gonna ball out...and in no way am I worried about replacing McLeod....Like I said b4, we're 13th overall...hell we allowed a QB rating of 90+???? Damn...I remember we allowed 70%+ completion percentage...so...hell...replacements may be an improvement...especially the safeties.

All in all...we finished 13th in D....time for some new blood.

The Rams are coming off a season where they gave up 254 yards per game (23rd in the league) and tied for 17th in the league in interceptions with 13 on the year.
exactly...time for some fresh meat....

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Nice post @Selassie I. It's definitely about Quinn. If he comes back into "teens" sack form this defense is going to scare the F out of QBs because with Donald on the inside there will be nowhere for them to go other than check downs. If not, it's still going to be a strong defense but probably not elite.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
I think this defense will be better than last year, the speed upgrade is tremendous.
D line- Quinn should be healthier, even if he's not Quinn from 2 years ago , him at 75% is better than most at 100, more depth with Coples and Easly, Hayes is an upgrade from Long.
Linebackers- scary fast !, Tree is a huge upgrade form JL, Barron and Ayers are quality olb
D backs- I believe in Gaines to step up and our corners don't need to be great because of the pressure the front 7 will create.

Why does everyone hate on our team?

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
It really hinges on how the injured players come back. If they are as good or better than they were when last playing healthy, this D takes off and will be better than last year. I actually think the depth has gotten better, although maybe unproven, but better. And I think you will see more of William's stamp on things this year.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Healthy Quinn = No Mercy for opposing QBs. Hayes is a beast at the other end as well, and Donald......yikes. This DL has the ability to be very very special if they stay healthy. If they do, it shouldn't matter as much who is at safety.Those dudes will be like Maytag repair men back there....

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
As other have said, staying health is the key. We need to avoid injuries to key players.

We played most of last season without Quinn, Gaines, and Ogletree. If we can get those three back healthy and playing at a high level - and avoid injuries to other key starters - I'd easily take the Rams 2016 defence over the Rams 2015 defence. The loss of Jenkins and McLeod notwithstanding.

Let's knock on wood and hope for the best. In the NFL, injuries are inevitable. You just have to hope they aren't season-enders to star players and/or concentrated at the same position group at the same time (e.g. o-line). As is the Rams' typical poor luck, both were the case last year.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You can't expect us to get respect when average offenses come into our home and bitch slap us like the Giants two years ago and the Bears - led by Jay effing Cutler - did last year. Elite defenses don't let that happen at home.

I think most fans on here remember the great games and block the bad ones out - otherwise you would know exactly why people aren't predicting us to do well this year.

When you factor in all the moving parts and pieces - plus the ridiculous travel schedule - and this year is about enjoying the progression of the offense and seeing Goff.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I'm really looking forward to what this defense is doing mid season. I'm not going to get caught up in the doom and gloom when these guys get off to a mediocre or even slow start. There are some who will need a little time to come around and blend into the team concepts. By the second half of the year if they can stay healthy, no one will want to line up against these guys.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I can't figure out why you would think that.o_O
Because he is essentially still a rookie he missed all of last year when normally you have a off year he over played his rookie year because of scheme and because Jenkins was shadowing the team best receiver and because they gave him help with Rodney playing up top. Not to mention he is completely out of football shape and we might have a new safety back there thats going to cause some problems. I hope om wrong i dont think he is gonna be terrible but to say he is going to hive you jenkins level of play is kinda irresponsible imho.. I know a lot of people didnt like Jenks and that really colors their vision about his play but we are depending on basically a rookie and another cb with injury problems and more unproven corners.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Because he is essentially still a rookie he missed all of last year when normally you have a off year he over played his rookie year because of scheme and because Jenkins was shadowing the team best receiver and because they gave him help with Rodney playing up top. Not to mention he is completely out of football shape and we might have a new safety back there thats going to cause some problems. I hope om wrong i dont think he is gonna be terrible but to say he is going to hive you jenkins level of play is kinda irresponsible imho.. I know a lot of people didnt like Jenks and that really colors their vision about his play but we are depending on basically a rookie and another cb with injury problems and more unproven corners.
Jenkins was good but not great his talent will tell the real story or not this year. And, he never followed anyone best WR he always played on the left side.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!

That rookie you speak of started and played every game of his rookie year and he was arguably the best CB we had that year as a rookie. I have no concern about him playing to that level again as long as the foot is fully healed.

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
Congratulations @Faceplant - step on over to Off Topic "Best of ROD Quotes"
*Entries in Best of ROD quotes may or may not be eligible for a free 24oz. microbrew on tap at @RamFan503 's pub and grub.

Healthy Quinn = No Mercy for opposing QBs. Hayes is a beast at the other end as well, and Donald......yikes. This DL has the ability to be very very special if they stay healthy. If they do, it shouldn't matter as much who is at safety.Those dudes will be like Maytag repair men back there....