Is the Rams defense still strong?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Interesting topic.

Here's my ultra simplified projection.

The linchpin for our D's '16 status is Quinn's health. If he's 100%, we are in great shape. If not, we will struggle. Could say the same about Donald, but he's currently very healthy.

Hayes > '15 Long. Not really close.

Ogletree projects > '15 J Lau.

Gaines will be the overall equal of Jenkins, imo. Each does some things better than the other. I'm actually more comfortable with Gaines, TBH.

So thus far, the '16 version appears to be superior to the '15 version. At least to me.

Which leaves deep S. BTW, I don't see Joyner as our deep S. Or rather, I don't think our coaching staff does. I think he's their slot CB, period.

So, the question becomes whether one of Alexander, Bryant, Davis, Randolph, or ??? Can replace McLeod. I think there will be bumps and bruises, but I'm pretty sure that one of them not only can, but will. Alexander seems to have the inside track with the coaches.

Am I being too optimistic about deep S? Maybe. But remember, the development of the secondary is in the wheelhouse of this coaching staff and I'm certain that they already are following a plan.

How did I do?
Solid take. Saved me a lot of typing. I would only add this will be yet another year entrenched in GW's system for the vast majority of these guys. 2016 will be his 3rd season as DC.

Quinn
Donald
Hayes
Sims
Brockers
Tru Johnson
Joyner
Gaines
Ogletree
Barron

These guys. Know what they're doing on the field. :)

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
Apart from the health question i see no way that Gaines won't be even better than he was his rookie season.
He is a student of the game and has been working on the mental side as well as rehabbing his body.
He won't be as quick as JJ, but he won't be as stupid and selfish either.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That rookie you speak of started and played every game of his rookie year and he was arguably the best CB we had that year as a rookie. I have no concern about him playing to that level again as long as the foot is fully healed.
No he wasnt the best corner on the team your best corner covers the opposing team best wide receiver every game and thats something he has yet to do. Yes he p layed every game his rookie year but he also missed every game his 2nd year.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Jenkins was good but not great his talent will tell the real story or not this year. And, he never followed anyone best WR he always played on the left side.
Thats because he had Trumaine on the other side but when Trumaine went down Jenkins guarded everyone. He was the only one to slow down OBJ Gaines was getting ate up that entire game. The game in Dallas jenks locked down dez Bryant until he got away from Gaines and McLeod.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
Thats because he had Trumaine on the other side but when Trumaine went down Jenkins guarded everyone. He was the only one to slow down OBJ Gaines was getting ate up that entire game. The game in Dallas jenks locked down dez Bryant until he got away from Gaines and McLeod.
Actually, Gaines was hurt in the Giants game. It was Tru who got schooled.

That was another of TJ Mac specialties; clocking his own players. Gaines was out in the first half, came back only to be concussed by TJ.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Actually, Gaines was hurt in the Giants game. It was Tru who got schooled.

That was another of TJ Mac specialties; clocking his own players. Gaines was out in the first half, came back only to be concussed by TJ.
I knew it was 1 of them i honesy think we let the wrong cb go.. i think Gaines is going to do ok considering the circumstances i just dont want people to get their hopes up thinking he is going to play pro bowl level. While they would be great for him and especially the team i just dont see it happening like some do.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yes, I am putting a lot of faith in Gaines, Dx.

But I'm not the only one. The Ram coaches are, too.

And they've forgotten more about CB play than I'll ever know.

Sooooo...
They really dont have a choice.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Maybe someone can answer this but even in 2014, Quinn had a pretty big drop off in sacks. Last year we could chalk it up to injury but the year before??

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
Maybe someone can answer this but even in 2014, Quinn had a pretty big drop off in sacks. Last year we could chalk it up to injury but the year before??
That was the season Quinn was getting held constantly. I mean, Constantly.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I knew it was 1 of them i honesy think we let the wrong cb go.. i think Gaines is going to do ok considering the circumstances i just dont want people to get their hopes up thinking he is going to play pro bowl level. While they would be great for him and especially the team i just dont see it happening like some do.

i don't care. i'm thinking he's gonna play at a probowl level.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm really looking forward to what this defense is doing mid season. I'm not going to get caught up in the doom and gloom when these guys get off to a mediocre or even slow start. There are some who will need a little time to come around and blend into the team concepts. By the second half of the year if they can stay healthy, no one will want to line up against these guys.

May i ask why you think they're gonna start slow? This is the 3rd year in the same system for a majority of them.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
DL 2016 > 2015
LB 2016 > 2015
CB 2016 = 2015
S 2016 < 2015

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
May i ask why you think they're gonna start slow? This is the 3rd year in the same system for a majority of them.

For most of them but there are still question in the secondary and with Ogletree at MLB and how healthy Quinn will be. That combined with the effects the CBA has on their ability to learn over the offseason makes me think they will start slowly and get better as the year progresses.

fearsomefour

Legend
Quinn, Gaines, McDonald.....keys to the D?
The front seven, assuming they are healthy, has insane athleticism.
The depth, like for most teams, is a bit of a concern. Health is always a key.
I am really interested in seeing Easley teamed with Donald inside on pass rush downs.
Quinn/Easley/Donald/Hayes....that group could certainly undo some passing games.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
I don't worry about the front four. They'll continue to carry this team right up until they get tired, just like every year.

And while I certainly understand that Ogletree will be an improvement over Laurinaitis in some respects, he's been far from mistake free and is playing a new position. I think they also do have to worry about about experienced depth at linebacker.

Add to that the loss of McLeod and Jenkins? Yeah, my bad, they're not rolling the dice anywhere.

Greg Williams has done very well at making adjustments, but I completely expect to see some ups and downs regarding execution due to experience.

What really hasn't considered in any arguments here, and I think this is a big a factor as any, is how much an effect the improvement on offense will have on their defense. Anyone can say that Johnson's game may well suffer some after the loss of Jenkins, but who's to say that getting the defense off the field more than they've been allowed in the past wont have a positive holistic effect?