Is the pistol offense the future, or a passing fad?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
jimitroutboy said:
There are in reality three different concepts hidden in this offense.

The read option, the pistol and the running quarterbacks.

The pistol doesn't necessarily have to contain the read option. I actually think a conventional passing game with boots and sprint outs and lots of screens can be executed better from the pistol than it can from the deeper shotgun.

Running quarterbacks or scramblers have always been a factor in the NFL. I think Wilson operates best from under the center and scrambling than he does running the pistol or shotgun for example.

The read or zone option is a pistol specific play that can be defensed and stopped but NFL teams are acting by and large as if its the newest thing under the sun. You can bet a lot of staffs are going to spend a tremendous amount of time watching college game film this offseason to see what to do.

One of the things I think you will eventually see is more 43 teams instead of the 34 zone blitz scheme so much in vogue. Having two defensive tackles to stop the inside hand off allows the Dend to stay put and not crash down and chase the first move of the QB. If you watched the last Seattle/49er game the 49er 34 was eaten alive by the first move of Wilson and couldn't generate enough inside push to get into his face. Whereas the Rams front was able to do that in both games.

There is a lot of discussion on twitter and blogs about the injury effects on the QB. I think it is more pertinent to think about the player than the position. RG III is only 218 pounds maybe Cam Newton is closer to 250. Kaeperdoodle is better able to run it than Wilson is. I think Wilson is going to come back to the pack some next year once teams watch how the Rams defensed him.

Running a pitch option out of the pistol is foolish and asking for nothing but broken ribs for the QB. I would think that the Redskins would junk that play this year but they seem determined to get RG III killed.
To be SPECIFIC,IMO the hit that wrecked RG's knee would have wrecked ANYONES and the blow to the head that caused his concussion was not effected by HIS weight

Shoulder injuries maybe, but IMO the two bodies heading into headon colision vs. stationary object being his by a guy who has broken free from a block the physics indicate to me that th guy running is more vulnerable and is also likely going to get hit 5 to 6 times a game minimum which extrapolates to being sacked 80 to 90 times a year.
Add to that the different pads a QB normally wears IN ORDER to not inhibit his throwing motion, and IMO running a QB is just more risky.
I will add that up to THAT point IF you look at Donovan McNabbs career, his best evr game statistically AS a thrower was the game he broke his leg and finished UNABLE to run.

Further , when a rec. KNOWS you are going to throw the ball his approach to running his routes is different than if he's 70% sure you will, AFTER he breaks open X number of times and the QB has pulled the ball down to run there eventuates a learning paradigm wherein he no longer believes in the "If I get open I get the ball" effort /reward connection. These BTW are not principes of football they are principles of learning, memory and response conditioning that TRANSFER TO football and every other endeavor where confidence is a variable.
Can you win with a running QB ,sure is it something people will always be willing to incorporate ,yes, but again UNTIL someone has done it with the success rateand longevity that has been produced by the likes of Montana,Brady, Bradshaw,Elway the Mannings ,I will still consider it a good short term fix to an inferior teams desire for immediate results and will advocate FOR QB's like Bradford and Bradyand the others I mentioned along with offenses that revolve around that sort of skill set.
I hope we end up the only team in our division that doesn't "go for" this "great new thing" we will be able to game plan THEM easier than they will us.

nighttrain

Legend
Re: Is the pistol offense the future, or a passing fad?

if you draft 3 of them, it might work...and then again, you might end with a HS QB runnning your offense after game 9
train

jimitroutboy

@jimiramsboy
Name
Jim Fadler
The whole history of the NFL is full of plays or schemes or "fads" imported from college ball. The 34 is a variation of Bud Wilkinson's old defense...the run and shoot was at Portland....the wildcat.

That is not to say the pistol isn't going to have some impact but I think that defenses are really going to clamp down on the QB getting outside the containment next year.

If nothing else they will just knock the crap out of him everytime he gives up the ball to the tailback.

I really like the pistol for screens, quick wr screens and roll outs. That is where its future is.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Sean Salisbury - Tuesday, January 29, 2013 - (Currently Playing)
The Pistol offense - a gimmick or future of the NFL? The former QB weighs in with Big EZ and Mark Zinno.

[rp3]http://icestream.dev-cms.com:8000/stl/2013/01/01292013084912.mp3[/rp3]
<a class="postlink" href="http://101sports.com/templates/audio_player.php?a=12458&type=s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://101sports.com/templates/audio_pl ... 458&type=s</a>

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I'll echo the thoughts of some of the guys in this thread. This is a fad and it won't last after one or two guys with 100 million dollar contracts get carried off the field.

The NFL has in its rule book many protections for the QB because they are in a vulnerable position in the pocket. When a QB runs two things happen that create the problem for these new type of offenses. First, all of the protections in place are lifted and the QB becomes a ball carrier with no special rules. And second he becomes a ball carrier with no special protections while running into the defense rather than being in the pocket and is therefore much more exposed to getting hit by more defenders who are running to him while he is running at them. The velocity of the hits is WAY harsher than anything that can happen in the pocket.

The only way that these types of offenses will thrive is if the NFL makes some drastic rules changes about how QB's get treated when they run. I don't see that occurring. If a guy wants to make his living as an NFL QB he has to do it behind the LOS. He has to stay on his side of it.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
LesBaker said:
I'll echo the thoughts of some of the guys in this thread. This is a fad and it won't last after one or two guys with 100 million dollar contracts get carried off the field.

The NFL has in its rule book many protections for the QB because they are in a vulnerable position in the pocket. When a QB runs two things happen that create the problem for these new type of offenses. First, all of the protections in place are lifted and the QB becomes a ball carrier with no special rules. And second he becomes a ball carrier with no special protections while running into the defense rather than being in the pocket and is therefore much more exposed to getting hit by more defenders who are running to him while he is running at them. The velocity of the hits is WAY harsher than anything that can happen in the pocket.

The only way that these types of offenses will thrive is if the NFL makes some drastic rules changes about how QB's get treated when they run. I don't see that occurring. If a guy wants to make his living as an NFL QB he has to do it behind the LOS. He has to stay on his side of it.
That's a very good point. Maybe I'll allow you access to the super secret boob forum now.

Or not.