Is Stafford reworking his deal?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
I'm sure Stafford will be great. Other coaches and players are saying he's lighting it up in practice.

Still, as a fan, it sure would be great to see him show it on the field at least just ONCE before he signs some gargantuan contract extension. (Wouldn't be surprised to hear numbers in the ball park of 5 years and 150M... who knows).

Don't know when the big contract news will be announced, or even if its imminent. I'd just like to at least "unwrap the Christmas present" first and watch him shred the Bears.

SWAdude

And don't call me Shirley
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
John
I am fortunate to be going to the game with the Bears.

I am excited to see Stafford take command of the offense with the huge defensive support. Stafford can own this team. His leadership abilities may be more important than his playing skills.

Biggest game for me since the Super Bowl. SO excited!!!

GO RAMS!!!

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Heard talk early that money wasn’t going to be an issue with him. Remember.. he’s already in the top 10 all-time money makers in NFL history.

MachS

Hall of Fame
If he restructures now, what is the point? There are no priority FAs still available, and nothing really we can do that is super impactful with the money saved. Restructuring in anticipation for next year makes sense. The Gurley and Goff dead money comes off the books, and the salary cap should jump up another $20M or so. So having the extra room for next off-season should be the focus. Why do the extension now, when he could play and suffer a catastrophic injury during the season that would affect his availability for next year, or even hinder the rest of his career? I don't get the risk. Just wait until after this year is over since we cant use the money right now anyways. Doing the restructure prior to FA a few months ago made a lot of sense because there were a ton of OL upgrades out there, etc. But doing it now? I just don't get it.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
If he restructures now, what is the point? There are no priority FAs still available, and nothing really we can do that is super impactful with the money saved. Restructuring in anticipation for next year makes sense. The Gurley and Goff dead money comes off the books, and the salary cap should jump up another $20M or so. So having the extra room for next off-season should be the focus. Why do the extension now, when he could play and suffer a catastrophic injury during the season that would affect his availability for next year, or even hinder the rest of his career? I don't get the risk. Just wait until after this year is over since we cant use the money right now anyways. Doing the restructure prior to FA a few months ago made a lot of sense because there were a ton of OL upgrades out there, etc. But doing it now? I just don't get it.
I think anything now would just be an extension.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
I think anything now would just be an extension.
If he can save cap room now with it's new structure, it can be carried over to next yr to offset his salary next yr.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Man, it would be awesome if Stafford had the health to give us a good 5-6 years at a hometown discount. He's had plenty of losing in his career in Detroit, giving us a discount would show how much he wants to win and would earn even more respect from his teammates.

Bradford is first, right?

We can pick apart a lot about Sam, but damn, he was HOF level at making money. The amount he made relative to what he actually accomplished in the field is staggering.

“Turbo set!”

Pro Bowler
Brady did it and made it up with endorsements.

If he restructured and that gave the Rams the room to add two-three strong players that could be 3 rings.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Stafford said he would play it out with his current contract. We have 3 years of favorable contract cap hit at QB. So just in the off chance he suffers a career threatening injury or plays like shit you don't want to load him up with a big signing bonus right now. Let him at least play his first season in horns.

Not a big deal or anything and I am convinced he will show well year one but holy christ this team needs to slow the fuck down on the early signings. They just get burned and burned doing that shit.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
The report that the Rams might "restructure" Stafford's contract does not mean that he is being extended or the contract is being renegotiated. While it may be possible that could occur there is no reported basis cited to assume either is happening now.

It has been known since the trade that the Rams could restructure Stafford's contract to free up some additional cap space this year. Probably not a great deal but might help the Rams sign or pay for someone.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
The report that the Rams might "restructure" Stafford's contract does not mean that he is being extended or the contract is being renegotiated. While it may be possible that could occur there is no reported basis cited to assume either is happening now.

It has been known since the trade that the Rams could restructure Stafford's contract to free up some additional cap space this year. Probably not a great deal but might help the Rams sign or pay for someone.

A lot of times these reports workout. I won’t say it will,but my guess is he will be a Ram for at least 5 more seasons.What will be interesting more than anything in 2021 is how well he does in Mcvay’s offense with all the core weapons that returned & the new additions.
Really like the Shawn Jefferson connection & think Van will have 800 plus yards & Tyler Higbee will break some Rams TE records.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Well we are gonna need a LT. And maybe they are hoping one of Armstead, Brown, or Fisher hit the FA market and they want to be ready.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped

If they did restructure, and I don’t know the language of his contract, they’d just be creating big potential problems for next year’s cap.