Is Sam Bradford an Upgrade Over Nick Foles in Philly? --NBC Sports

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Overall, Bradford may be more physically talented than Foles. However, Foles seems to be more of a playmaker than Bradford to me. Someone that can better make something out of nothing and not as easy to sack.

Bradford may very well be an upgrade in Philly running some form of hurry up offense similar to what he ran at Oklahoma.

At the same time, Foles is probably an upgrade in St. Louis in a more conservative scheme.
This is how I see things probably working out.

Each QB has now been put in a system that may enhance their natural abilities. Better fits, if you will.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Yeah, its quite possible this is a trade that works for both teams in terms of fit. But Philly's in a more precarious situation with Bradford's injury history.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That's kinda what I was thinking. I don't know that they will be rushing more or less so but in addition to Gurley and the so called road graders drafted for the gaping black hole of an Oline, they've also added players like Cook, Tavon, etc.

The idea of ground and pound football is a recent development for the snisher led Rams. I will give you that we may actually instead be passing quite a lot despite the turn of events lately.
I think, the bottom line for Fisher is... "whatever works".

Two years ago, they attempted a spread offense... drafted/acquired players to fit that approach. Get Bradford comfortable like he was in college.

Didn't take Fisher long to decide it wasn't working and head in another direction.

Fisher is not the kind of coach to stay the course too long, IMO.

Take the QB thing last year... when Bradford went down, it was Hill. Then, when Davis surprised everybody, Hill got tossed aside and it was Davis's job for the remainder of the season. Then, when Davis struggled, back to Hill.

I remember the debates over whether Fisher should have kept his word to Davis and stuck with him longer.... give it more time. But he's not that kind of coach, IMO.

So, although it appears he's headed to a run attack, I wouldn't be surprised if that changes if the run approach struggles.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Back on topic, the subject was if Foles only threw for 20 td. And the counter was Wilson threw for "only" 20. Not an apples to apples conversation unless we expect Foles to account for 6 rushing td also. Hill and Davis combined for 20 passing td and I would agree that if Foles could only accomplish that number it would be very disappointing

The counter also included, "The important thing is to score 'em. Not how you score 'em." Again, if Foles (who had 3 rushing TDs in 2013) passes the team into the redzone and then the team decides to hand the ball off to a RB to get the score, it doesn't matter. It's a score.

The only way I'd have a problem if Foles only had 20 passing TDs like Hill and Davis combined is if the team only had 10-11 rushing TDs like last year to go along with it.

For example, when Dalton had his 19 passing TDs, his team also had 19 rushing TDs to go along with them. Not just 10-11.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The counter also included, "The important thing is to score 'em. Not how you score 'em." Again, if Foles (who had 3 rushing TDs in 2013) passes the team into the redzone and then the team decides to hand the ball off to a RB to get the score, it doesn't matter. It's a score.

The only way I'd have a problem if Foles only had 20 passing TDs like Hill and Davis combined is if the team only had 10-11 rushing TDs like last year to go along with it.

For example, when Dalton had his 19 passing TDs, his team also had 19 rushing TDs to go along with them. Not just 10-11.
Gotcha. We're totally on the same page. I guess I didn't read it all the way through

ram007

Starter
Why does most here assume this question can be answered this year? The answer will be found 3 years from now on whether Eagles got hosed or Rams

nighttrain

Legend
Why does most here assume this question can be answered this year? The answer will be found 3 years from now on whether Eagles got hosed or Rams
We will see quite a bit of the future this coming season, TG should hit the ground running behind a huge young offensive line, making life easier for Foles to mix in some quick strikes over the middle shots. Me, I"m hopeful to see a winning season//
train

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Score more points than you allow and you'll win lots of games.

Freaking-genius.gif

Obviously your not a golfer.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
He offloaded A TON of talent that was working well in his system. His issue was the OL and I don't know if they fixed that or not since I don't really follow the Eagles that closely.

I'm not sure how the hell you improve your team by getting rid of the best players/pro bowlers.........

And lets not forget this is the NFL, we know you just don't plug anybody into your "system" and it'll work like it can in college. I think he is going to crash and burn and he strikes me as the kind of guy who will walk away and go back to college for 6-7 mil a year and leave the Eagles in a steaming pile of crap.
They actually spent quite a few picks on the defensive side of the ball. Three corner backs, one line backer and a late defensive end.

Regarding the offensive line, they went outside the draft, which seems crazy, but that teamed lacks defense more than anything.

I think that their offense will still be a strength though, and I really do wish Bradford well in that system.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Here's the way I interpret Fisher's O philosophy...

I think it's an "all of the above" one.

Consider the following...

In his post season presser he stated that he felt we needed to score more points. Translation might be that he liked our D and ST and he intended to concentrate on our O. ALL of it.

He released deadwood OL players in Long, Wells, and Joseph. That demonstrates strong commitment to upgrade necessity for his OL.
He let Schotty walk and hired a new OC in Cigs.
He hired an impressive new QB coach in Weinke.
He just hired Garcia as an O Assistant.
He traded for Foles.
He drafted an elite RB in Gurley.
He drafted 4 new OL three of whom came in rounds 2-4.
He drafted O players with his first 7 picks. That's a Fisher first.
He drafted a developmental QB in Mannion.
He signed a pretty highly regarded OL swing player in Reynolds.
He resigned Britt.

So what does all of that tell us? It tells me that he was damned serious when he said we needed to score more points.

The above is a helluva lot of solid action to improve our O both running and passing the ball.

Color me pretty danged impressed so far.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Here's the way I interpret Fisher's O philosophy...

I think it's an "all of the above" one.

Consider the following...

In his post season presser he stated that he felt we needed to score more points. Translation might be that he liked our D and ST and he intended to concentrate on our O. ALL of it.

He released deadwood OL players in Long, Wells, and Joseph. That demonstrates strong commitment to upgrade necessity for his OL.
He let Schotty walk and hired a new OC in Cigs.
He hired an impressive new QB coach in Weinke.
He just hired Garcia as an O Assistant.
He traded for Foles.
He drafted an elite RB in Gurley.
He drafted 4 new OL three of whom came in rounds 2-4.
He drafted O players with his first 7 picks. That's a Fisher first.
He drafted a developmental QB in Mannion.
He signed a pretty highly regarded OL swing player in Reynolds.
He resigned Britt.

So what does all of that tell us? It tells me that he was damned serious when he said we needed to score more points.

The above is a helluva lot of solid action to improve our O both running and passing the ball.

Color me pretty danged impressed so far.

Welcome to the Dark Side.

(we have cookies)

dhaab

Rookie
I watched Bradford for 4+ years and I have no idea why anyone would think he's a natural leader. He has certain skills that a QB needs, but he doesn't have any of the intangibles needed to be a great NFL QB.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Welcome to the Dark Side.

(we have cookies)

So Les... Where's my damned cookies? Lol.

BTW, I neglected to mention that Fisher resigned Kendricks, too, in yet another positive offseason O move. Reportedly while promising Kendricks a greater pass receiving target role. I can't believe I left that one off my list.

And just for you, Les. While I admire many, many things about Fisher, I can't overlook the bottom line. He needs to translate all these moves over the last 4 off seasons to wins. Lots and lots of wins.

That's my barometer. We need to beat all the teams we're supposed to beat. And win a few that we're not expected to, as well.

Playoffs, Baby!

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
So Les... Where's my damned cookies? Lol.

BTW, I neglected to mention that Fisher resigned Kendricks, too, in yet another positive offseason O move. Reportedly while promising Kendricks a greater pass receiving target role. I can't believe I left that one off my list.

And just for you, Les. While I admire many, many things about Fisher, I can't overlook the bottom line. He needs to translate all these moves over the last 4 off seasons to wins. Lots and lots of wins.

That's my barometer. We need to beat all the teams we're supposed to beat. And win a few that we're not expected to, as well.

Playoffs, Baby!

Stacking up the cookies for you. Mad stacks!

Best-Ever-White-Chocolate-Macadamia-Nut-Cookies.jpg

nighttrain

Legend
I watched Bradford for 4+ years and I have no idea why anyone would think he's a natural leader. He has certain skills that a QB needs, but he doesn't have any of the intangibles needed to be a great NFL QB.
Yeah, like being on the field, NO matter how good the player, if he can't get on the playing field what good is he?
trade bait!
WE received Foles and a 2nd rounder, wooop wooop!!!!!!!!
train

cgsuddeath

Rookie
Name
cgsuddeath
Sam is clearly better.Just injury prone and with a better supporting cast(coaching and players)we will see.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Can you imagine if the Rams started Bradford again and he went down early in the season?
That's why you draft a suitable replacement & pick up a QUALITY FA QB just in case....

I get Sam is better than Nick...easy to see if you look. Sam's always hurt, I hope we figured out why, or that Nick is much tougher...we shall see.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...rd-expected-to-start-7-on-7-drills-next-week/

Sam Bradford expected to start 7-on-7 drills next week
Posted by Josh Alper on May 28, 2015

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznpwnjzjhhoti3yziyzjqznza5ota3mjblnteyntlmnjrh-e1432837880570.jpeg
Getty Images

The Eagles started their organized team activities this week, but quarterback Sam Bradford hasn’t been a full participant.

Bradford is recovering from his second torn ACL in as many years and the Eagles have been easing him into the flow of things with individual drills this week while Mark Sanchez takes the first-team snaps in team work. Coach Chip Kelly said the plan is for that to change next week when Bradford should begin participating in the 7-on-7 portions of practice.

“He is on schedule,” Kelly said, via Philly.com. “We all think there’s three phases — there’s medical rehab, performance rehab, and prepare to play. He’s probably at the tail end of medical rehab. He’ll probably start throwing some 7 on 7 next week, and I think he’s right on schedule.”

The Eagles haven’t etched Bradford’s name into the top spot on the depth chart yet, but Kelly didn’t trade for a player making $12 million for him to sit on the bench behind Sanchez, Matt Barkley or Tim Tebow unless the reasons for doing so were too compelling to resist. As long as Bradford is healthy, it’s hard to imagine other reasons qualifying.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
“He is on schedule,” Kelly said, via Philly.com. “We all think there’s three phases — there’s medical rehab, performance rehab, and prepare to play. He’s probably at the tail end of medical rehab. He’ll probably start throwing some 7 on 7 next week, and I think he’s right on schedule.”
Ahhhh... it was only a year ago that similar words were coming out of Fisher's mouth. Good luck, Philly.