Is Sam Bradford an Upgrade Over Nick Foles in Philly? --NBC Sports

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Derrick Gunn joins the show to discuss the Eagles’ offseason moves regarding the quarterback and running back positions, as well as the current state of Chip Kelly’s relationship with Sam Bradford. Gunn says the Ealges think they have an upgrade with Bradford. They like his accuracy, decision making, quick release, and that’s he’s a natural leader. Characteristics they felt they didn’t have in Nick Foles..and that’s not a knock on Foles (It’s Not?) They key with Bradford is how durable will he be. He's played 7 games in the last 32. Kevin Gilbride and Jon Ritchie also discuss the pros and cons of Bradford after Gunn's comments.

Watch Gunn/Ritchie/Gilbride Discuss Bradford

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Wow. I'm actually hoping that Bradford busts over there (not injury-wise, but just having a shit year, starting half of the snaps before getting benched), just to prove how utterly foolish their opinions really are.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Considering that Bradford's skillset fits perfectly with Chip Kelly's offense, of course he's an upgrade over Foles from the Iggles point of view. It's all relative based on scheme, Foles is an upgrade for us based on durability and mechanics better suited in a pro-style offense.

FRO

Legend
If Bradford is healthy he is a clear upgrade. Fisher and Snead couldn't make that gamble any longer.

paceram

Pro Bowler
If Bradford is healthy he is a clear upgrade. Fisher and Snead couldn't make that gamble any longer.

TotallyAgree! I don't think it is a matter of whether or not Bradford is an upgrade or not but more of can he stay healthy. Personally, I have nothing against Bradford (In fact, I hope he has a good & healthy career in Philadelphia EXCEPT when he plays the Rams!).

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
LOL if he stays healthy he still isn't an upgrade. They say this:

Ealges think they have an upgrade with Bradford. They like his accuracy, decision making, quick release, and that’s he’s a natural leader.

WHAT??? Wow, OK good luck with that considering his release is OK but not quick and his accuracy is below average.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
People forget he wasn't all that great even when he was healthy. Elite ability, sure. But it never did translate consistently where it matters on the field.

Could be the talent around him, the OC, or whatever. But I am glad the Rams cut bait.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
There was no way Fisher was going to take a risk on Bradford again. Not after TWO consecutive seasons where we could have been a contender if not for our backup quarterbacks. Can you imagine if the Rams started Bradford again and he went down early in the season? The fans and the press would roast Fisher alive. He might also get fired at the end of the season. At least Foles gives us some new optimism. Personally, I thought Fisher did pretty well pulling off that trade for Foles. And we got more draft picks? That trade ranks second only to the RG3 trade.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
There was no way Fisher was going to take a risk on Bradford again. Not after TWO consecutive seasons where we could have been a contender if not for our backup quarterbacks. Can you imagine if the Rams started Bradford again and he went down early in the season? The fans and the press would roast Fisher alive. He might also get fired at the end of the season. At least Foles gives us some new optimism. Personally, I thought Fisher did pretty well pulling off that trade for Foles. And we got more draft picks? That trade ranks second only to the RG3 trade.

I think they would have taken a risk with Bradford again. But when the Eagles offered a young qb the Rams liked, massive salary cap relief, a slight trade up in the middle rounds of the draft this year, AND a second round pick next year in exchange for Sam and a possible mid round pick next year, the Rams decided it was foolish to take the risk. Even if Sam performs great this year, and would have for the Rams (not a sure thing even if he does great for the Eagles) they then would have had to sign him to a biggish contract after the season. Foles is also a free agent, of course - but if he plays well he would likely be cheaper to sign still than Bradford if he plays well. Plus the Rams would have an extra 2nd round pick which would make it easier to get another qb if Foles leaves. All in all, the Rams pretty much had to make the trade once the Eagles were willing to give so much.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
LOL if he stays healthy he still isn't an upgrade. They say this:

Ealges think they have an upgrade with Bradford. They like his accuracy, decision making, quick release, and that’s he’s a natural leader.

WHAT??? Wow, OK good luck with that considering his release is OK but not quick and his accuracy is below average.
Well, that's what *they* think. And it's obviously an opinion formed from watching tons of film, otherwise they wouldn't have made those claims. I will say there is a fair amount of people (both experts and non-experts alike) who share that opinion. If one to were just look at his stats, they could easily make the assumption that he isn't accurate or that he has a meh release. I'm just saying I watched way too many of his plays to make that kind of false determination. Dude can throw darts, and is very accurate on every throw that isn't down the sidelines. For whatever reason, I can honestly say he sucked at those throws. Everything else was (IMO) money.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I was a Bradford supporter all the way up until the trade. I still feel he has the skills to be a very good quarterback in this league. I thought the skill positions were getting better and I really wanted to see what he could do with an improved Quick and Kenny Britt.

But alas, he just couldn't hold up. I think the trade was a good move for the team. It was time to move on from an injury prone QB. The only reason I think Foles is an upgrade is because we likely woulda been playing Sam's backups if we kept him. And Foles is an upgrade over them. I think we're in an OK position. If Foles shows he can be the future of the franchise we keep him. If not we move on. Maybe Mannion can do something in year two.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Well, that's what *they* think. And it's obviously an opinion formed from watching tons of film, otherwise they wouldn't have made those claims. I will say there is a fair amount of people (both experts and non-experts alike) who share that opinion. If one to were just look at his stats, they could easily make the assumption that he isn't accurate or that he has a meh release. I'm just saying I watched way too many of his plays to make that kind of false determination. Dude can throw darts, and is very accurate on every throw that isn't down the sidelines. For whatever reason, I can honestly say he sucked at those throws. Everything else was (IMO) money.

Hey maybe there is something I haven't seen from him yet on that film..........as TD would say "arrdunno".

I'll add two other passes he wasn't any good at to your one. Screens to his left or right and short over the middle stuff. No touch and that's a fact, well OK it's my opinion. But I'm right so there's that.

I wish Bradford had become what every single one of us wanted him to be. But I'm pretty certain at this point it's another case of great college ball player but average NFL player.

I want Foles to be just something in between the first two years.

Sidebar.......I wouldn't trust Chip Kelly if I was an Eagles fan because he seems to have an inflated sense of self and that never works out as a HC in the NFL. Maybe in college, but he's gonna find out soon that you can't do it the same way IMO.

I hope that SEA or Dallas hires him. Or AZ.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I want Foles to be just something in between the first two years.

Sidebar.......I wouldn't trust Chip Kelly if I was an Eagles fan because he seems to have an inflated sense of self and that never works out as a HC in the NFL. Maybe in college, but he's gonna find out soon that you can't do it the same way IMO.

I hope that SEA or Dallas hires him. Or AZ.
Yeah, I'd be freaking out if I was a Philly fan. It's hard to get a bead on what that cat's doing. I honestly do think that Bradford is the better passer though, but I wouldn't take the chance on him that Kelly did. That takes huge balls and can backfire hardcore. As for the rest of his offseason moves, he obviously knows the kind of players he wants - and he should because it's his system. But man oh man. If all of these dudes he picked up don't improve his team, that fan base will organize a coup with the quickness.

FRO

Legend
Yeah, I'd be freaking out if I was a Philly fan. It's hard to get a bead on what that cat's doing. I honestly do think that Bradford is the better passer though, but I wouldn't take the chance on him that Kelly did. That takes huge balls and can backfire hardcore. As for the rest of his offseason moves, he obviously knows the kind of players he wants - and he should because it's his system. But man oh man. If all of these dudes he picked up don't improve his team, that fan base will organize a coup with the quickness.
When you gonna post that Foles video you were working on?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
When you gonna post that Foles video you were working on?
When I don't have shitty internet. Been traveling quite a bit for work, and the internetz is always 1-2MB download and -1 upload. In fact, I'm in Charlottesville VA right now at a Residence Inn.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
IF he stays healthy. That remains a huge if though. The guy has talent, enough to be up there with the best. His body however is another story.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
If all of these dudes he picked up don't improve his team, that fan base will organize a coup with the quickness.

Lol, that fan base would boo a kindergarten kid for coloring outside the lines. :wabbit: