Is McVay sandbagging?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

TexasRam

Legend
I think when we play lesser teams you may see more action for Jackson and Tutu.

Or when the strategy dictates.

The first two games we had to use our bread and butter dudes.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I think when we play lesser teams you may see more action for Jackson and Tutu.

Or when the strategy dictates.

The first two games we had to use our bread and butter dudes.

Why would we waste DeSean Jackson on the 'lesser teams' where he's still just as vulnerable to injury ?
I'd think his real value is against the best. With Tutu, I agree to him getting his feet wet with lesser teams, but Jackson is a proven commodity and is a proven game changer.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I'd be willing to bet that in a track meet with a gun, Jefferson wins....but in a game running away from defenders it's DJax.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
He was. He is 35 now, I doubt he runs as fast as he did when he was 25.

I wouldn't discount DJ's speed just yet.

Here's two articles, 1 a year old and another is 2 years old, but he hadn't lost a step here.

MachS

Hall of Fame
Last year the Rams had 2 pass plays over 40 yds all season, this year they have 3 in 2 games, but none of them from the guy who we brought in to do that very thing. Hell, Jackson only has a handful of snaps, let alone targets.
McVay says he has to do a better job, flow of the game, blah blah blah. Jackson was brought here to take the top off, and he’s been here all offseason. So you’re telling me that there’s no plan in place to get him into the offense, that the offensive mastermind hadn’t figured out his role before now?
Or maybe he’s just saving him. I would imagine Kupp’s days of roaming around secondaries unimpeded are about over, there should be multiple guys with eyes on #10. A perfect time to give them something else to worry about. This is a big stretch coming up with Tampa, Arizona and the Hags, maybe McVay is keeping Jackson for a surprise.
I seriously thought about this yesterday when I heard McVay's presser. Gary Klein asked him about Jackson's 3 snaps against Indy, and McVay said the normal coach talk "I need to do a better job of getting him involved." And I thought hmm, Djax is completely healthy and I haven't seen him run one deep route. Maybe he has, but zero deep targets through two weeks to DJax? That doesn't really make sense given the entire off-season. Everything we heard in training camp was DJax getting deep TDs against our #1 defense.

Then I thought, McVay is so cocky (borderline overconfident IMO at times) he probably thinks we can beat both Chicago and Indy without featuring DJax too much. And we did. I bet DJax gets multiple deep targets this week against TB, and he catches one deep TD. I'll be looking for the prop bets this week for a DJax TD or DJax yardage because I think he's been holding back a bit in preparation for this week. McVay is not stupid, he knows this is arguably the best team in the NFC and one we need to beat if we can early in the year.

dang

Legend
This.

McVay has been sandbagging I think in that they brought in DJax to kick Jefferson in the ass. DJax is good enough to start if Jefferson had a bad camp, basically. But our young wideout is on the rise and he should keep getting better.

If not, then I think we see more of DJax as we get closer to the playoffs. But also it is nice to have a guy like him at 4th on the depth chart, in the event we get another WR injury. If we have Kupp through the playoffs though I think it gives us our best chance to win it all this year. He's just a crucial piece.
Jefferson doesn’t seem the type that needs a kick in the ass. We need DJax for depth and special occasions. I believe the TB game is one of those occasions.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
because Jackson is one of the Fastest players in the league.
That sounds very subjective. DeSean Jackson is fast. And he was one of the fastest players in the league when he first came out. Age catches up to you though. And Van Jefferson never ran at the combine, but was the fastest player recorded at the Senior Bowl. They are both fast, but I tend to bet the one with youth is a tad bit faster.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
Yes McVay has been holding some of the playbook back. Or because of the D not getting off the field, the O hasn't ran as many plays as he would of liked and has left him with quite a bit of the playbook that hasn't been seen. The 3 straight 3 and outs didn't help.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing

oldnotdead

Legend
DeSean ran a 4.35 40 at his Combine.
Last year I read that Van Jefferson was estimated around 4.1 or 4.2, although he was injured and couldn't compete at his Combine.

Those times on Jefferson were the results of analytics of his actual game films. This is why I've been saying all year that Jefferson is faster than people think. He outran 3 Bear DBs, which shows some serious speed. They weren't closing on him until he tumbled. I don't think even McVay realized just how fast Jefferson is. People were going off of his rookie play and you simply can't do that. All rookies no matter what position play slower in their rookie years. They are thinking about what they are doing and not simply reacting to what they are seeing. Funk, Tutu, and Harris will all play faster next year. It's why so many players make a huge jump between their first and second years.

With Tutu also in the mix, it's why I've been saying I don't see D Jax on the roster next year. IMO he's simply depth for a long season and a mentor for Tutu.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Definitely.

McVay knows what a Super Bowl team looks like - there's a real chance we will have both a better offense and defense than that team. Id rather save DJax for certain match ups.

Against the Bucs, for example, would be the perfect time to go four wide with DJax on the field, because this game could decide home field.

oldnotdead

Legend
BTW Gipson and Jackson were the DBs burned. Gipson runs about a 4.6 and Jackson about 4.5. It's clear Jefferson runs a sub 4.5 and in fact at the Senior Bowl Jefferson was timed at 21.05 mph which would equate to between 4.1 and 4.2. That is where that estimation comes from. This kid has some serious jets.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
at the Senior Bowl Jefferson was timed at 21.05 mph which would equate to between 4.1 and 4.2. That is where that estimation comes from. This kid has some serious jets.
By that estimate ("between 4.1 and 4.2") VJ would have the fastest 40 yard time ever in recorded NFL Combine history. Ummmm... ok.

Record holder is 4.22 by John Ross in 2017. Most of top-10 times are in the upper 4.2 range (i.e., 4.27 or 4.28).

VJ is plenty fast enough, but let's not get carried away here.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
I wouldn’t be surprised on bit if DJ has a big game this week, sandbagging?

Of course he is

Debacled

Starter
Desean is pushing 35 and hasn't done squat the past 2 seasons.

He isn't the guy he was a decade ago. Age catches everyone eventually.

He is what he is, a 4th WR option with a lot of talent in front of him.

MachS

Hall of Fame
in fact at the Senior Bowl Jefferson was timed at 21.05 mph which would equate to between 4.1 and 4.2. That is where that estimation comes from
You know that's not how 40 times work right lol? There is a dead start and acceleration required to reach top speed. You cant record someone at top speed and just transpose that into a 40 yard dash time.

My guess is Jefferson runs in the 4.4 - 4.5 range which is plenty fast. I do think he has beat DJax out for majority of 3rd WR snaps, mainly due to his blocking. His size obviously makes him a much better blocker.

But I do subscribe to the opinion that McVay has been holding back in regards to sending DJax deep. Again, all camp we heard DJax was terrorizing our 1st team defense deep. We have not seen that through two games, and I suspect McVay brings it out this week vs TB.

LARams_1963

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
greg
I gave up believing McVay sandbagged after the SB. I thought for sure he was sandbagging to cut loose in that game but he didn't. If not then... when?