Is McVay sandbagging?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Flint

Pro Bowler
Last year the Rams had 2 pass plays over 40 yds all season, this year they have 3 in 2 games, but none of them from the guy who we brought in to do that very thing. Hell, Jackson only has a handful of snaps, let alone targets.
McVay says he has to do a better job, flow of the game, blah blah blah. Jackson was brought here to take the top off, and he’s been here all offseason. So you’re telling me that there’s no plan in place to get him into the offense, that the offensive mastermind hadn’t figured out his role before now?
Or maybe he’s just saving him. I would imagine Kupp’s days of roaming around secondaries unimpeded are about over, there should be multiple guys with eyes on #10. A perfect time to give them something else to worry about. This is a big stretch coming up with Tampa, Arizona and the Hags, maybe McVay is keeping Jackson for a surprise.

Psycho_X

Legend
Yeah I think it's mostly just keeping him on a reduced snap count for the beginning of season. How long that lasts who knows. If I was McVay I'd use him like a starter for the really big games like Tampa this week and the division games and then use sparingly for the games we are expected to win. Get to the playoffs hopefully healthy and then unleash him as needed.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
Last year the Rams had 2 pass plays over 40 yds all season, this year they have 3 in 2 games, but none of them from the guy who we brought in to do that very thing. Hell, Jackson only has a handful of snaps, let alone targets.
McVay says he has to do a better job, flow of the game, blah blah blah. Jackson was brought here to take the top off, and he’s been here all offseason. So you’re telling me that there’s no plan in place to get him into the offense, that the offensive mastermind hadn’t figured out his role before now?
Or maybe he’s just saving him. I would imagine Kupp’s days of roaming around secondaries unimpeded are about over, there should be multiple guys with eyes on #10. A perfect time to give them something else to worry about. This is a big stretch coming up with Tampa, Arizona and the Hags, maybe McVay is keeping Jackson for a surprise.
Yeah maybe he plans to use him in different way's against different teams. Jefferson isn't really a burner but he's gotten open deep because of schemed plays or breakdowns on D. Also, Jackson hasn't played with McVay for 6 years, I'm sure his playbook has evolved since then and I'm sure Jackson is still getting acclimated to it.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
I think he mentioned in his show with Farr & Long that the issue is they are purposely not subbing so the D can't sub, thus they have favorable match ups in certain situations.

That leads to Henderson not leaving the field, and them staying in 11 personal with Woods, Kupp, Jefferson, and Higbee.

So that also explains the overuse of Hendo and the underuseage of Jackson.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Hard to say, we're not at practice and McVay obviously isn't going to run around telling everyone.

Right now it seems that Stafford is mostly comfortable with Kupp, even Woods seems to be getting looked at less vs before there seemed to be a more even distribution between them. If that is factoring into gameplans or not, or if it's just based on what the coverage is dictating we'll have to see.

I would imagine Tampa will be looking closely at Kupp this next week though, so it might be time for someone else to become the favourite target.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River

One of those long pass plays was made by Van Jefferson, who you don't mention here. Van has nearly double the amount of receiving yardage that Josh Reynolds had in his first two games last season, so VJ has made a difference. While I'd hope to see Jackson play in the TB game this next Sunday, he only needs to be used sparingly, and that largely to free up the box somewhat for our rushing game. Kupp & Woods had excellent games against TB last year, after that the receiving yards fell off pretty sharply, although we are a better overall receiving team this year with the likes of Van Jefferson and now having brought in Jackson to take the top off. I suspect Jackson is being saved mostly for the play-offs to keep him fresh, but this upcoming game looks like an ideal time to get him some work. jmo.

…..

Legend
Last game, 20 targets to Kupp and Woods and 9 for the whole rest of the team.

Im guessing thats not the plan going deeper into the season. We have the playmakers.

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
If Jackson could help the team he would be playing. Let's not look for a problem that's not there, we are averaging 30.5ppg thru 2 weeks.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
So McVay sandbagging because we aren't using a specific player? It's not like he's our starting superstar WR. Djax is way past his prime and should be happy with any snaps he gets. As you mentioned OP, we're taking the top off without him. I don't see the need to force him onto the field.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
If Jackson could help the team he would be playing. Let's not look for a problem that's not there, we are averaging 30.5ppg thru 2 weeks.

The Bucs only allowed rushers 3.6 ypc in 2020, they are allowing 3.0 ypc. so far in 2021, ... so if Jackson can help by pulling DB's out of the box, then I see a definite benefit.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I think VJ just beat him out. Simple.
This.

McVay has been sandbagging I think in that they brought in DJax to kick Jefferson in the ass. DJax is good enough to start if Jefferson had a bad camp, basically. But our young wideout is on the rise and he should keep getting better.

If not, then I think we see more of DJax as we get closer to the playoffs. But also it is nice to have a guy like him at 4th on the depth chart, in the event we get another WR injury. If we have Kupp through the playoffs though I think it gives us our best chance to win it all this year. He's just a crucial piece.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
In addition…

We haven’t seen Atwell on sweeps, or otherwise.

Same with Harris, no offensive snaps albeit not surprising…., but no doubt we will see him packaged in eventually.

So, yeah… McVay has a lot available to roll out!

:horns:

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
In addition…

We haven’t seen Atwell on sweeps, or otherwise.

Same with Harris, no offensive snaps albeit not surprising…., but no doubt we will see him packaged in eventually.

So, yeah… McVay has a lot available to roll out!

:horns:

That and on the other side of the ball am anxious to see Bobby Brown III as well as Chris Garrett getting into the scrum. jmo.