Is McVay our McCarthy?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

shake-n-bake

Rookie
Here me out. Both McVay and McCarthy are known for their offense but Both through their careers struggle with game management and adjusting on the fly. For instance. McVay has always had issues with timeouts or getting plays in on time. He also struggles at times with situational awareness. Both coaches won a Super Bowl with teams that had unbelievable talent . Packers had Rodgers, Crosby, Nelson, Driver, Woodson, Mathews etc.... All of those players will probably be in the hall of fame. I just have not seen where McVay has grown as a coach. Stubborn to a fault or unaware of the situation. I hope this is not true but things seem similar

Londoner

Twitchy sophomore.
I think they both out-think themselves sometimes. It's like they have to prove that they're the smartest one in the room.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't think so. There's no such thing as a perfect coach. Mcvay has some headache inducing moments but he's one of the best.

Ellard80

Legend
mcarthy has a solid coaching record

but Mcvay has had more success in a shorter time period.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
The Office I Give Up GIF

KJD_Ram

Rookie
this shit reminds of that "Fansville" commercial where the dude is burning his gear...and Bosworth says, "Guys, its the first play of the season"...

but point taken...

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
@shake-n-bake McVay got us the first W in Seattle and kept us competitive v Whiners. Just poor overall game planning last night.

Hopefully, McVay can rewatch game film and see the lunacy of trying to throw the ball 75% of the time with injured linemen against a good front four.

Last edited:

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
What's baffling to me is that his effort in Seattle was the polar opposite of this - plenty of balance, didn't give up on the run even when Seattle was doing ok in stopping it, etc. And he was decent against the 9ers as well. But there are times with McVay (and a lot with these offensive genius types) where they are just baffling in their approach and they can't seem to see the thing in front of them that is obvious to everyone else.

RamFanWA

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
DavidG
there are times with McVay (and a lot with these offensive genius types) where they are just baffling in their approach and they can't seem to see the thing in front of them that is obvious to everyone else.
Reminds me of the management at some companies I worked for... :woozy2:

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
McCarthy had 13 seasons with Aaron Rodgers and made it one Super Bowl.

McVay has had 6 seasons with Goff (4) and Stafford (2) and has made two Super Bowls.

So…no.

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
Mcvay is a great coach he is out coach he is the man BUT that doesn't mean he sometimes isn't repeating history. The announcer were fine not huge on tirico but like Danny O and the other dude name slips my mind but while they were all over the Bengals nuts they were iny opinion because they executed a game plan and were lauding it. While our team was just back to pass happy on the 2 worst run defense in the league. Allowing Stafford to get crushed over and over.

We should have won that game RT at the beginning when we had those chance to eat clock run run run......I know if pigs could fly but not running it over and over in the Red zone vs a coach who knows you like pretty plays was dumb and the announcers were RT on saying it 10000 times.

Maybe that's why our line gets hurt so much too because of all the damn passing. I love smart pretty chunk/TD plays but that was bad yesterday.

Lastly rebuild tank promise whatever you want to label it doesn't matter please do wt it takes to get an edge like we did Ramsey helps now and in the future. I can't watch AD go down like this.

That game should of been a W

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
There were some things that fall squarely on the coach last night. Not running when near the goal line. Not giving the backup LT some help when he was clearly overmatched. But its a marathon. Not a sprint. You have to look at the whole body of work to pass judgement.

This is not a year we are expected to be competitive enough to think playoffs. The first two games made us think different. This one brought us back down to earth.

I will say if they can figure out how to overcome the line injuries then maybe they can be better than expected. It was looking like a repeat of last year when they clearly were not prepared for that scenario.

On another note, I don't know who that commentator was last night but he was clearly pulling for the Bengals. Not very professional. And very annoying.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
There were some things that fall squarely on the coach last night. Not running when near the goal line. Not giving the backup LT some help when he was clearly overmatched. But its a marathon. Not a sprint. You have to look at the whole body of work to pass judgement.

This is not a year we are expected to be competitive enough to think playoffs. The first two games made us think different. This one brought us back down to earth.

I will say if they can figure out how to overcome the line injuries then maybe they can be better than expected. It was looking like a repeat of last year when they clearly were not prepared for that scenario.

On another note, I don't know who that commentator was last night but he was clearly pulling for the Bengals. Not very professional. And very annoying.

I still think this team can compete for a playoff spot and win enough games to get there. Beat Indy and the Cooper Kupp comes back to help with the redzone problems. I'm pretty happy with the way the D has been playing. 13, 23, and 19 PA pretty good.

Those stupid tipped passes to picks to need freaking stop though.

AZRams

What, we're all thinking it...
Here me out. Both McVay and McCarthy are known for their offense but Both through their careers struggle with game management and adjusting on the fly. For instance. McVay has always had issues with timeouts or getting plays in on time. He also struggles at times with situational awareness. Both coaches won a Super Bowl with teams that had unbelievable talent . Packers had Rodgers, Crosby, Nelson, Driver, Woodson, Mathews etc.... All of those players will probably be in the hall of fame. I just have not seen where McVay has grown as a coach. Stubborn to a fault or unaware of the situation. I hope this is not true but things seem similar

Episode 4 No GIF by Curb Your Enthusiasm

No...no. Now we're being silly.

Look back over the last several years and you will see games like this where McVay is just off...refused to adjust or like last night sticks with a game-plan that isn't very good.

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
Episode 4 No GIF by Curb Your Enthusiasm

No...no. Now we're being silly.

Look back over the last several years and you will see games like this where McVay is just off...refused to adjust or like last night sticks with a game-plan that isn't very good.

I hate picking mcvay apart as he is the face of our franchise love him or hate him most love him. Yesterday that L clearly falls on him forcing it just not wanting to run.

You have a team with an injured immobile quarterback a chance to eat clock and most of all go up by at least one score if not two and I mean tds and that's how you would of won. You make them abandon there game plan or go up a few scores and make them throw way more than they want to. Mixon was going nowhere for just about 2.5-3 quarters.

I get the learning process I understand all of that but you can't throw wins away or at least a damn good chance of winning like that. Even in this unknown type season. That loss to me falls mostly on the coach and I love our coach but that was infuriating.