Is McDonald Coming Back?!!

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame

#25 (SS) TJ MCDONALD 6'2 219 lbs
(Turns 26 on 01/26/2016)
6a00d83451bf7069e2019b038bbdfc970d-pi

Career... Total Tackles 221... Solo... 168... Int 2... Sacks 4.. Passes Defensed.. 11

My personal take on TJ McDonald is what can we do? This sucks but is not at all surprising in today's NFL turnstile drama filled offseason player mistakes/suspensions. TJ was a heat seeking missile and clearly an above average NFL Strong Safety.

I thought his skill set (coverage skills) were avg to above avg but he made his name as a big hitter and surely was strong leader of the Rams young secondary.

TJ would sacrifice his body hitting anything in his path at full force and he would get the defense fired up more often than not.

His physical play the last couple of seasons unfortunately took a wrong turn, causing shoulder issues in 2014, that eventually shortened his 2015 season.

April 11, 2016: http://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/football/news/rams-tj-mcdonald-recovering-from-shoulder-surgery/

McDonald (shoulder) should be healthy enough to participate at some level in OTAs and training camp, Nick Wagoner of ESPN.com reports.

McDonald underwent surgery in December that ended his season prematurely, but it doesn't look like that should affect his upcoming season in any wya. McDonald has become a playmaker for the Rams, tallying 63 tackles in 11 games last season after hitting triple digits the previous campaign.

Dec 9, 2016: http://www.rotoworld.com/recent/nfl/8458/tj-mcdonald

Rams placed SS T.J. McDonald (shoulder surgery) on injured reserve, ending his season. It's another blow to a Rams secondary already without Trumaine Johnson (thigh) and Janoris Jenkins (concussion). McDonald had 63 tackles and a sack prior to going down, grading as PFF's No. 32 safety against the run. Maurice Alexander is McDonald's backup.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/15504818/rams-safety-tj-mcdonald-arrested-dui-crashing-parked-car

May 11, 2016: After police arrived at the scene,
they evaluated and arrested McDonald at 8:30 a.m. PT and booked him at about 3:40 p.m. for a misdemeanor charge of driving under the influence-other. The "other" designation means that McDonald was suspected to be under the influence of something other than alcohol.

I thought TJ McD's best years were ahead of him because I assumed his shoulder issues wouldn't be long term so like everyone else, I was caught off guard with his DRIVING under the influence incident..

I was hoping this offseason TJ McD would be fully healed and ready to lead the new LA Rams secondary with the loss of Jenkins and McLeod. TJ's status as of June 26, 2016 is unknown and hopefully he doesn't miss more than 2 games if any.

As Rams fans we have to be prepared for the starting secondary to look much different than the 2015 campaign.

This group on paper doesn't look horrible but will have 2 and possibly 3 new starters if TJ McD misses a couple games (or more) to start the season.

CB- Trumaine Johnson
CB- E.J. Gaines or Marcus Roberson

Nickel CB-Safety Lamarcus Joyner
Nickel- CB- Coty Sensabaugh

Safeties (Mix & Match as you see best)

Mo. Alexander, Cody Davis, Christian Bryant, Lamarcus Joyner (soon to sign a veteran F/A?)

(Rookie) Brian Randolph, (Rookie) Jordan Lomax, (Rookie) Rohan Gaines

CB/FS (Rookie) Mike Jordan

Hoping TJ McD comes back ASAP!

headbutt.0.gif

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler
TJ is an SC guy !! I go back to the NJ Giants game.He got beat by the best though.
I respect TJ's game, but if Fisher & The Rams have an issue (????) it has to be for the better of the team.Fisher & TJ's dad are SC guys !!
I really have any info on the subject, except this post here that I'n quoting on .

Dude, what are you talking about??

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
TJ is an SC guy !! I go back to the NJ Giants game.He got beat by the best though.
I respect TJ's game, but if Fisher & The Rams have an issue (????) it has to be for the better of the team.Fisher & TJ's dad are SC guys !!
I really have any info on the subject, except this post here that I'n quoting on .
Say what?

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
TJ's dad & Fisher both played at USC. If TJ is released it will be for good reason. Jeff Fisher is a players coach.

TJ was real bad against Odell Beckham.He losses his head sometimes. I'm a MaDonald fan,so it is not like I don't like him.

WestCoastRam

Legend
This thread is the definition of a dumpster fire right now. Let's get some sourcing on here... or not, dumpster fires are great (except when they participate in general elections!)

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Wyche was smoking some Cali green...he's way off.
Wyche is also the guy who started the talk about how "Jared Goff was nowhere NEAR ready, throwing interceptions at OTAs, etc." Everyone took that one and ran with it.

It seems like he took a couple shots at the Rams toward the end. I wonder if someone ticked him off toward the end of his time "imbedded" with the team?

Incidently, I am still looking for that Wyche video. The NFL site doesn't have a very good archive. It forces you into their chosen videos. It was part of a "over-under" Rams segment. He and another ex-player, (Nate Burleson?) were debating sacks, ints., Gurley yards, etc.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
What reason on earth that would cause TJ McDonald not to be our starting safety at some point early in the 2016 season?

Ok he had reconstructive shoulder surgery real late last year & yes he might be having some setbacks that have not been put out in public. Then there was one, yes I said one incident the first of May of this year, where he was arrested for suspicion of driving under the influence of a substance other than alcohol. OK now what else is there?

TJ is far from being what the ex 9er now still in the NFL Raider Aldon Smith. Smith has been arrested .....:thinking: what a half dozen times & violated his probation several times & Smith is still considered a starter by mid season & still getting paid:rant::bueller:

Rams43

Hall of Fame
What reason on earth that would cause TJ McDonald not to be our starting safety at some point early in the 2016 season?

Ok he had reconstructive shoulder surgery real late last year & yes he might be having some setbacks that have not been put out in public. Then there was one, yes I said one incident the first of May of this year, where he was arrested for suspicion of driving under the influence of a substance other than alcohol. OK now what else is there?

TJ is far from being what the ex 9er now still in the NFL Raider Aldon Smith. Smith has been arrested .....:thinking: what a half dozen times & violated his probation several times & Smith is still considered a starter by mid season & still getting paid:rant::bueller:

You absolutely nailed it, Bonifay.

This TJM not being available thing seems like a non issue to me. Makes no damned sense,

Unless...

If there is something very serious either medically or otherwise that has been withheld from the public. And I mean something SERIOUS.

Tre Mason I understand. Heck, they may not even WANT him back. But TJM? He's definitely in their long term plans.

I'll say this. I'm not crazy about starting the season with new players at CB and both S positions. Gulp...