Is Matt Ryan Better Than Sam Bradford?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Name
JP
Just a question I thought worth discussing. Matt Ryan has a reputation as a very good QB, and he has always had a lot of talent around him. Then this year, he loses out the production he has always had out of the running game, due to Turner getting old and leaving, and SJ being injured almost all year. Also add in the fact that Julio and Roddy missed most of the year, and also a very old Tony G. Then you got this year from him. Sub par year, and the teams record went way down. For the majority of the year, Harry Douglas was his number 1 WR, who isn't great, but I think most would agree he would've be an upgrade over any #1 WR Sam has had thus far in his career.

So here are the questions...

Is Matt Ryan that good?

OR

Does he thrive because he has had some of the top playmaking talent around him for his entire career?
I think that he is a very good QB. Yea, he needs weapons around him, but every QB needs something. Yea, some point out Russel Wilson and how they win. Yea that is true, but do they have a dominant offense? No. Do they win solely because of Russell Wilson? No. What the Seahawks lack in WRs, they more than make up for in their dominant defense and top notch running game. The fact is very few QBs can do it on their own. I would say Peyton Manning would be the only one, and even he has had tremendous WR talent around him his entire career. Brady would be up there to. What he did this year, despite numbers being down, was amazing.

Would Matt Ryan have the same amount of wins or numbers, if he and Sam switched places?
I think this year alone proves that he wouldn't have.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
You saw just how bad Ryan can be without a good OL in front of him. He lost both his starting OT's & his long time starting center in 2013.

Get Sam an good OL & I will take Sam over Ryan easy.

Name
JP
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
You saw just how bad Ryan can be without a good OL in front of him. He lost both his starting OT's & his long time starting center in 2013.

Get Sam an good OL & I will take Sam over Ryan easy.

That is how I feel to. I still like Ryan. But if you flipped the 2 for the past 4 years, you have to wonder how good the Falcons would've been.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
That is how I feel to. I still like Ryan. But if you flipped the 2 for the past 4 years, you have to wonder how good the Falcons would've been.

I have been ....like a old timers broken record..... :deadhorse:now today you would call it a scratched CD....."It all starts up front!" :mad:

If the Rams (Snead & Fisher) Fail to provide Sam with a healthy fully stocked :juiced:OL now in Sam's 5th year then ...........:cray:

Last edited by a moderator:

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
While I will agree with you that they are similar, I've gotta give a pretty decent edge to Ryan on this one. Turner vs. SJ is a push as Turner was signed in Ryan's rookie season and Bradford had a pretty effective Jackson up until this year.

So basically with Roddy White and spare parts in the passing game, Ryan went to the playoffs twice before Julio and T-Gon broke on the scene. I know that Roddy White is superior to anything the Rams have had since Holt/Bruce, but you can't say that one wide receiver put the Falcons in the playoffs.

I like Sam, but I don't know how much of a comparison can be made between the two.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
While I will agree with you that they are similar, I've gotta give a pretty decent edge to Ryan on this one. Turner vs. SJ is a push as Turner was signed in Ryan's rookie season and Bradford had a pretty effective Jackson up until this year.

So basically with Roddy White and spare parts in the passing game, Ryan went to the playoffs twice before Julio and T-Gon broke on the scene. I know that Roddy White is superior to anything the Rams have had since Holt/Bruce, but you can't say that one wide receiver put the Falcons in the playoffs.

I like Sam, but I don't know how much of a comparison can be made between the two.
But the most important thing you leave out is exactly what Bonifay is saying the difference is not the "skill players" as much as the hogs.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
I think Ryan is a better decision maker but Sam's got the arm. Give me Sam, Julio, an OL, and White and I'd have a pro bowler in Bradford, easy.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I think Ryan is a better decision maker but Sam's got the arm. Give me Sam, Julio, an OL, and White and I'd have a pro bowler in Bradford, easy.

I would have said Ryan is a good decision maker until this year. Dude made some serious bad throws this year once his WR went down.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
There's only a few QBs I'd take over Sam, and Matt Ryan is one of them.

Peyton, Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, Matt Ryan, Ben Roethlisberger, Drew Brees (although I think he's a *wee* bit overrated b/c of the offense he's in), and Andrew Luck. So that's 7. And whenever Peyton/Tom retire just 5...

Tony Romo, he's really good but he makes that one play...

Eli Manning, Matthew Stafford, and Jay Cutler turn the ball over way too much.

The rest? IDK if the rest of the starting QBs in the league are that much better, maybe slightly...like Philip Rivers.

PhxRam

Like Ryan, Sam needs to know that it is okay to throw a few INTs once in a while trying to make a play.

Sometimes you just have to throw it out there and let your play makers make plays.

moklerman

Warner-phile
I don't think Ryan's bad or anything like that but there was a game late in the year I really wanted Atlanta to win...can't remember which one it was but Ryan was playing it safe way too much. Throwing checkdowns on third and long, not taking ANY chances. Really lost some respect for him that game. He REALLY looked like he was more worried about his stats than winning the game. I don't recall ever having that feeling with Bradford even though he's checked it down too.

I don't think Ryan's bad or anything like that but there was a game late in the year I really wanted Atlanta to win...can't remember which one it was but Ryan was playing it safe way too much. Throwing checkdowns on third and long, not taking ANY chances. Really lost some respect for him that game. He REALLY looked like he was more worried about his stats than winning the game. I don't recall ever having that feeling with Bradford even though he's checked it down too.

Washington maybe? He was awful in that game.

moklerman

Warner-phile
Washington maybe? He was awful in that game.
I think it was the following week against SF. That was a MNF game and I'm assuming that's why I was watching. Seems like there were plays there for the taking and he just wouldn't take any shots until it was too late. Then they started pushing the ball downfield in the 4th quarter and scored a couple of TD's sort of validating my disgust.

jap

Legend
Some members here are taking Ryan over Sam. However, Ryan's OL early on was seriously much better than anything Sam had in front of him until this past season. Our own OL guru, Paul Boudreaux, was overseeing the Atlanta OL quality, after being unfairly & unceremoniously blamed for Rams' OL troubles and dumped by Rams' coach Scott Linehan. Coach Bou built the Atlanta OL into one of the finest units in the NFL, and Ryan enjoyed protection Sam could only dream about from his rookie season until this past year.

It doesn't matter how good one is as a QB, your talent is going to be limited with bad OL's.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
Some members here are taking Ryan over Sam. However, Ryan's OL early on was seriously much better than anything Sam had in front of him until this past season. Our own OL guru, Paul Boudreaux, was overseeing the Atlanta OL quality, after being unfairly & unceremoniously blamed for Rams' OL troubles and dumped by Rams' coach Scott Linehan. Coach Bou built the Atlanta OL into one of the finest units in the NFL, and Ryan enjoyed protection Sam could only dream about from his rookie season until this past year.

It doesn't matter how good one is as a QB, your talent is going to be limited with bad OL's.
Not to mention he's had Roddy White and Julio Jones

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
In a vacuum, I'd take Bradford. I just like the kind of QB he is. But when the lights come up, I like Ryan. He's pretty chill under pressure.

And as far as nicknames go, Matty Ice wins walking away.