Is LB Troy Reeder the Real Deal?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

TheTackle

Pro Bowler
We have plenty of speed on defense and match up well across the board. Perhaps this masks Reeder's deficiencies. That said, he sure as hell provides plenty of pop; makes standout plays every game, and is a force vs the run.

Not every player needs to be a pro-bowler. Reeder is, undoubtedly, underrated around here. Watch the 4 and out inside the 10 vs the Patsies. Reeder met the runner on each of the 1st three plays and then had an assignment (outside contain) which forced Newton into the arms of Hollins who made the play.

It is a team sport, and Reeder is a quality cog in a big wheel...

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Real deal in what sense? I think it depends what the OP means by that phrasing because when I say “oh that guys the real deal” I’m usually referring to an up and coming player who I believe will be an All star level player in their respective league. In that sense no Troy Reeder is not the real deal. If they are meaning is he serviceable or maybe decent ...yeah he is

Tano

Legend
4.67 forty yard dash. It's not like he's a turtle!
Ok he's a sloth

1608231112067.png

RamWoodie

Legend
I think he's SOLID...and growing. He does have a nose for the ball with room to grow...and he's starting. That says he's good enough.

dang

Legend
I admit I was not a Reeder enthusiast but this is only year 2. I’d love to be wrong and will admit so once he shows consistency. Didn’t it take Littleton 3 years to shine?

oldnotdead

Legend
I find it interesting when people call out Reeder for an assumed lack of athleticism. Yet his workouts were actually pretty good with his timed speed being faster than Kiser at 4.64 vs Micah's 4.66. He's got good speed as an ILB and he's shown he can play sideline to sideline.

Titus Sports Academy - Delaware
March 22, 2019 ·

Troy Reeder crushed the Pro Day, beginning with when he soared 37½ inches on the vertical jump test that started the day. Reeder was also timed in the 40-yard dash (4.64 seconds) and in various shuttle and agility runs. He also stood out with a standing broad jump of 10 feet, two inches and by bench pressing 225 pounds 27 times.

Reeder has the athleticism to play MIKE in the NFL. What he lacked was experience and he's gaining that the longer he plays. With experience comes speed of play. He's no longer thinking his way through plays and it shows. He came in a diamond in the rough so now it's time to allow him to polish his game.

TexasRam

Legend
I'm willing to give Reeder more playing time. As stated, he brings a good thump when he hits and has shown to be strong in the middle in short yardage. His sacks on Smith were mostly created by our other guys, but I did like the shoe string sack. Just Keep in mind that wasn't vs Murray, Wilson or Jackson.

One thing I can't stand is LBers that get washed up in the run game and get pushed back when trying to bring a runner down, Reeder is a breath of fresh air in this way because he brings a guy down and is generally a brick wall that won't get pushed back. These extra yards make 3rd downs easier and having an ILB that can mimimize runs is really important.

But again, I see him as a role player. Short yardage and Known runs yes. Games can be lost in the middle of the field if the Brees and Rodgers of the world can find open players sitting down in the middle. This is where Reeder has to show he can excel. Alternatively, Staley would nee to show he can scheme up covering the middle of the field if he's going to have Reeder as an every down player.