Is Jefferson a deep threat?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
The Rams don't have a guy with Cooks speed. They don't have a guy that defenses are worried about getting past them on any given play.

And as some have said, they don't have the pass blocking to consistently give receivers time to get open deep.
What I don’t understand is how the Patriots were so successful without a true deep threat. I mean Edelman would just be open over the middle 15 times per game and yet defenses just flood the middle against us. It makes no sense.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What I don’t understand is how the Patriots were so successful without a true deep threat. I mean Edelman would just be open over the middle 15 times per game and yet defenses just flood the middle against us. It makes no sense.
Well, they had Moss and when he was gone was when Welker was a beast. Welker could get deep because they had the 2 headed TE monster with Gronk and the Criminal. Deion Branch could get deep also. What they didnt do was put a rookie WR in. Like has been said in this thread, getting deep doesnt mean just straight line speed. For the Rams, its difficult for Woods or Kupp to get deep now because they are primary receivers and take the focus

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

They did have Gronk to worry about. He’d often draw two defenders and could get open deep.

The Patriots had more passing options in the running backs also. McVay started using Henderson and Akers more that way but not enough downfield.

Id say that Scarnecchia is a good Oline coach. Getting that extra second would be huge for Goff. Then you have the Brady/ref factor the negates half the sacks that he would take and turns them into penalties.

But yeah I get yeah. Teams are playing close to the line this entire second half with little respect for the deep ball. Plus they clog the middle which is where Goff goes the most and they take away the outside runs.

That’s where I think they really need a burner. Van is slightly built. A bump will slow him down. Plus defenses know they can rattle Goff and do not fear sending extra rushers and getting stoppped thus getting beat deep, because they never get stopped. That rush up the middle over Blythe ruins the pocket. I even saw Corbett getting run over against the Cards. Some plays 5 on 5 the entire line was pushed back by or chasing their assignment.

They’ve got a lot to fix to be considered a top team in the same breath with KC,GB, NO.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Tom Brady.

I swear up down left and right that McVays plan last year was to mimic the Patriots - Hendo was a good receiving back out of college, great YAC guys in Woods, Kupp and Everett, and another good TE in Higbee.

I'm convinced that that's why he allowed Saffold to walk - new game plan was going to be five yard passes all the way down the field with deep shots sprinkled in like the Patriots. It was the perfect response to teams keeping their safeties back while also playing the six man DL. They are giving us the short throws.

But to answer your question, it's obvious - Brady is the GOAT. Goff will be fighting for his job next year.

I think last year McVay realized that the short passing game won't work - Goff just isn't consistent enough. Some drives it works but too many teams he will take a sack, have an errant throw or turn the ball over - once you factor in mistakes by other offensive players, you can see the problem. Bend but don't break comes to mind for defenses playing the Rams - make us go 10 plays and more often than not, were going to make a mistake.

So McVays plan had to be abandoned - our defense wasn't great, and now our OL can't hold up when we drop back 45 times.

This year I think he doubled down on it - OL has less injuries so they're better, Akers is an upgrade, VJ another savvy route runner to get open underneath. But now the reason we can't effectively do the short passing game consistently IMO is Goff.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Stop with all this Jefferson is so great talk he did nothing this year. He's had drops and when in mostly invisible.

Yet the other Jefferson on Minnesota tore it up the best rookie we season of all time. A ton of wrs were taken in the draft and I was against the pick because I felt we needed OL help more.

Hopefully he grows over the off season.
Who's saying Jefferson is so great? There were 11 WR taken before him, we knew he needed work, and also knew that Reynolds was not the answer.
As for the "other" Jefferson, there's 4 teams that picked WR before him that are probably regretting it.
I like the Terrell Lewis pick, but wonder if Cushenberry wasnt taken the pick before, if that's who the Rams would have taken.
I guess looking thru the draft in hindsight, the Rams could have drafted Guard Damien Lewis or Jonah Jackson (both started 16 games) and then drafted a WR later, like Darnell Mooney who was a 5th rounder that has put up 61 catches for 631 yards.
Alas the joy of the draft, the coulda woulda shoulda game is always so easy after the fact

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Tom Brady.

I swear up down left and right that McVays plan last year was to mimic the Patriots - Hendo was a good receiving back out of college, great YAC guys in Woods, Kupp and Everett, and another good TE in Higbee.

I'm convinced that that's why he allowed Saffold to walk - new game plan was going to be five yard passes all the way down the field with deep shots sprinkled in like the Patriots. It was the perfect response to teams keeping their safeties back while also playing the six man DL. They are giving us the short throws.

But to answer your question, it's obvious - Brady is the GOAT. Goff will be fighting for his job next year.

I think last year McVay realized that the short passing game won't work - Goff just isn't consistent enough. Some drives it works but too many teams he will take a sack, have an errant throw or turn the ball over - once you factor in mistakes by other offensive players, you can see the problem. Bend but don't break comes to mind for defenses playing the Rams - make us go 10 plays and more often than not, were going to make a mistake.

So McVays plan had to be abandoned - our defense wasn't great, and now our OL can't hold up when we drop back 45 times.

This year I think he doubled down on it - OL has less injuries so they're better, Akers is an upgrade, VJ another savvy route runner to get open underneath. But now the reason we can't effectively do the short passing game consistently IMO is Goff.
I hate to agree but you’re right. The second Goff came into the league he should have been watching Brady and Manning tape. So many times the check down is wide open and he COMPLETELY ignores it. He got a little better this year with the short passing game and handling the blitz. But he tailed off towards the end of the year. Those first 5 games I really thought he turned a corner. And then the San Fran game happened and I knew it was too good to be true.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I hate to agree but you’re right. The second Goff came into the league he should have been watching Brady and Manning tape. So many times the check down is wide open and he COMPLETELY ignores it. He got a little better this year with the short passing game and handling the blitz. But he tailed off towards the end of the year. Those first 5 games I really thought he turned a corner. And then the San Fran game happened and I knew it was too good to be true.
And Brady wasnt the Brady we think of now until in his 30's
In his first 5 seasons, his highest passer rating was 92.6, he threw 66 INT and had 16 lost fumbles. 82 turnovers, 16.4 per season
In Goff's first 5, including the Fisher disaster, he's eclipsed 100 passer rating twice, 55 INT, 19 lost fumbles, 74 turnovers. Also works out to 16.4 per season (based on 4.5 year since he played 8 games less than Brady)
In that horrible SB *win* over the Rams, Brady only had about 85 yards passing in the game until his last drive.
And the year following the SB, (his 3rd season, age 25) he played awful down the stretch, lost 2 games late and missed playoffs. Patriots even drafted a QB that spring (some dude named Kingsbury)

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Who's saying Jefferson is so great? There were 11 WR taken before him, we knew he needed work, and also knew that Reynolds was not the answer.
Agreed. Good perspective there.

Even with Jefferson stepping up now in the playoffs (assuming he does which is a big assumption) the Rams' deep game has more to do with protections and the QB trusting the protections. I expect Jefferson's impact in this game will be on the perimeter which is fine for where he is developmentally.

But again tough crowd here. I was just trying to put up a fun plug for the kid for showing up for the first time in such a huge game. He wasn't great by any stretch but he showed us some good things to include a second gear. (y)

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame
For me it's a guy with speed who can consistently use that speed to get separation from the CB on deep routes. His speed and ability to use it is good enough that it forces the opposing DC to adjust coverage over the top to help negate the WR's speed. I think there are a lot of guys that are capable of getting deep passes sometimes but that doesn't make them in my book a deep threat.

I agree with your definition except I would leave out the "speed" part .
My definition would be a player who can consistently make plays deep.
That being said "speed" is usually part of the equation, but maybe you leave
room in the definition for that special player who is just plain out crafty
or so physically gifted, size wise that they are consistently able to make plays deep.
I think the meat of the definition is "Consistently able to make plays deep"

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Is it just me or are our receivers usually waiting, hands up for the ball instead of attacking the ball.
I have seen it more than a few times. It's as if they are not fighting for position on the ball.
Has anyone else noticed this or am I just Goofy?
It's not you. But it's also usually the same offenders and in fact all of our "bigs" who are guilty of that. Everett has always done that. Higs does it. And Reynolds does it. But I will say that at least our TEs play with physicality once they get the ball. The RAC is real with them. Wish I could say the same about Reynolds.

Just look at that last Seattle game. The Rams went out of their way to feed Reynolds and he had a solid line in the box score with 6 catches for 65 yards but the guy was just there man. It's why IMO we finally saw the Rams start involving Van vs the Cards.

First possession in our last game up in Seattle. 2nd and 6. Goff gets him the ball in space and near the first down marker. Reynolds is 6'3" and DJ Reed is 5'9" so right there it looks like Reynolds will get close to the first down.
1609972574415.png

Despite not being squared up on him (between him and the first down) the smaller DB stops him cold right here.
1609972762736.png

Nice fight there number 11
1609972860645.png

VERY NEXT PLAY on 3rd and 1. Seahawks give number 11 a cushion and Goff pounces on it
1609972971425.png

Oh but darn it the pass isn't exactly on Reynolds' chest so I mean what do you want him to do, like, use that 10 foot reach of his to make the catch or something?
1609973074333.png

3 'n out first possession.
1609973119026.png

I'll tell you there are times, like this here, where Goff should be letting the guy have it. I know that's not who he is but still man. Rodgers or Brees would have been in his ass immediately following those two plays.

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
Maybe he has a first playoff experience quiet game. Yet I/We know for a fucking reason why McSnead drafted both Akers and Jefferson and it wasn't a 4 year 2nd round rookie scale plan. It's now!

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
It's not you. But it's also usually the same offenders and in fact all of our "bigs" who are guilty of that. Everett has always done that. Higs does it. And Reynolds does it. But I will say that at least our TEs play with physicality once they get the ball. The RAC is real with them. Wish I could say the same about Reynolds.

Just look at that last Seattle game. The Rams went out of their way to feed Reynolds and he had a solid line in the box score with 6 catches for 65 yards but the guy was just there man. It's why IMO we finally saw the Rams start involving Van vs the Cards.

First possession in our last game up in Seattle. 2nd and 6. Goff gets him the ball in space and near the first down marker. Reynolds is 6'3" and DJ Reed is 5'9" so right there it looks like Reynolds will get close to the first down.
View attachment 42603

Despite not being squared up on him (between him and the first down) the smaller DB stops him cold right here.
View attachment 42604

Nice fight there number 11
View attachment 42605

VERY NEXT PLAY on 3rd and 1. Seahawks give number 11 a cushion and Goff pounces on it
View attachment 42606

Oh but darn it the pass isn't exactly on Reynolds' chest so I mean what do you want him to do, like, use that 10 foot reach of his to make the catch or something?
View attachment 42607

3 'n out first possession.
View attachment 42608

I'll tell you there are times, like this here, where Goff should be letting the guy have it. I know that's not who he is but still man. Rodgers or Brees would have been in his ass immediately following those two plays.

Some of you, actually many put some INCREDIBLE effort in. Appreciate it!