Is Jefferson a deep threat?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
1609898208645.png

oldnotdead

Legend
With his speed and moves absolutely. Does he need work and experience? Absolutely, but IMO we will see a better WR next year. He will make Reynolds expendable if his price is too high to extend. With Webster at #4 the Rams wouid still be very deep at WR. IMO I think Webster has the makings of a very good WR particularly in the Y and Z positions. His hands and speed are very good for those positions.

Troy Hill is playing well because now he's playing within his skill set, i.e. a zone heavy secondary. Lewis is starting to flash and Floyd has proved he's an upgrade over Fowler. Robinson is also flashing which bodes well for the Ram interior d-line.

This team has playmakers in depth positions on both sides of the ball.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
It's one play, but seemed like he has some wheels.
Yeah and he played timid but he was also a rook in a big game. Think he's primarily a perimeter and possession dude for this year's playoffs but agree the wheels are there for the deep strikes.

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
Yeah and he played timid but he was also a rook in a big game. Think he's primarily a perimeter and possession dude for this year's playoffs but agree the wheels are there for the deep strikes.
Agreed. Once he settles in I feel like he's going to be real solid for us. Just need to give him more opportunities.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yep.

Underrated aspect of the Goff/Wolford decision, which were not privy to and will never be: why did Wolford throw deep more than Goff had in his last five or six games combined?

Cardinals were definitely playing the run, but even with Goff because of our short passing game teams crowd the LOS.

If the answer is that Goff just isn't pulling the trigger on deep passes but McVay wants him to, then...

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Depends on who you ask, lol. Some of us have been saying we think he is for weeks now. When I stated that I thought he was and gave reasons why... I was told I was wrong by one of our resident experts.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Underrated aspect of the Goff/Wolford decision, which were not privy to and will never be: why did Wolford throw deep more than Goff had in his last five or six games combined?
I will admit that play was a "deep shot" in terms of design and the play call. The play action, protect was max with the TEs back blocking, with two deep patterns. Jefferson blew threw but they also had a crosser underneath that is a mid-to-deep pass. Too bad the refs didn't see that hold by the Cards on the underneath crosser it was rather obvious.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I see the man circled which is Jefferson, I look at how far he is from our OL noticing how well they held off that Cardinal D. Is he really that fast? Or did our OL hold them long enough for him to get that far down field?
The safety is one of the best in the league (Buddha Baker) and he's more quick than fast, but he flips his hips at this point here to run with Van:
1609901147695.png

Van overtook him by the 35 yard line:
1609901221692.png

And then before the 40 yard line you see the separation. So yeah I think Van showed his athleticism there. :cool: (y)
1609901290428.png

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
The safety is one of the best in the league (Buddha Baker) and he's more quick than fast, but he flips his hips at this point here to run with Van:
View attachment 42579

Van overtook him by the 35 yard line:
View attachment 42580

And then before the 40 yard line you see the separation. So yeah I think Van showed his athleticism there. :cool: (y)
View attachment 42581
Van Jeff is special no doubt, but wait til he becomes a seasoned vet. We might be able to open up our deep route playbook again.

Psycho_X

Legend
Jefferson had a small broken bone in foot that prevented him from running at the combine. One of the reasons he fell to us possibly. People were saying he might have been one of the fastest if he was healthy at the combine. So I think he has plenty of speed. Would be nice if McVay has been saving that rabbit in his hat and pulls it out and throws it at defenses face during the playoffs.

View: https://twitter.com/BenVolin/status/1256230374931341314?s=20

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
Now if only the pass had perhaps a little more air and about 3 yards more umph

Missed opportunity (it happens, not a knock on Wolf) but yeah, it was there

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I have a question for the other forum self appointed experts. What constitutes a deep threat? What a deep threat is may have been a better thread subject to start.

Tyler Higbee every year has at least one catch over 30 yards is he a deep threat? Kupp every year has a catch over 55 yards he ran a 4.62 is he a deep threat? How about instead of throwing around insults we first figure out what most people consider a deep threat.

For me it's a guy with speed who can consistently use that speed to get separation from the CB on deep routes. His speed and ability to use it is good enough that it forces the opposing DC to adjust coverage over the top to help negate the WR's speed. I think there are a lot of guys that are capable of getting deep passes sometimes but that doesn't make them in my book a deep threat.