Is it Tavon time ... finally?/Mort-Schefter

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Welcome to "Six Points" for Week 2, a quick trip around the league with Adam Schefter and Chris Mortensen.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/13676485/chip-kelly-coached-johnny-manziel-two-different-s-nfl

Is it Tavon time ... finally?

When Tavon Austin lined up in the Rams' backfield and took a handoff from Nick Foles to run 16 yards for a touchdown in their win over the Seahawks, it was one of the ways Rams coach Jeff Fisher and GM Les Snead had always envisioned Austin could be utilized when they made him the eighth pick of the 2013 draft.

It was a clever design on the scoring play. The diminutive 5-foot-9 Austin lined up in a pistol-like formation directly behind Nick Foles in the shotgun. Ask the Seahawks defenders. It was difficult to see and track Austin on the play. Austin was a Texas high school running back who was used as a jack-of-all-trades player at West Virginia. In fact, Austin delivered one of the greatest single-game collegiate performances on Nov. 17, 2012, when he had 517 all-purpose yards against Oklahoma, 344 of them coming when he was lined up at running back.

When Frank Cignetti was named offensive coordinator for the Rams after Brian Schottenheimer bolted for the same job at the University of Georgia, one of his goals was to simplify the offense but still find ways to take advantage of Austin's hybrid talents. Cignetti saw a very focused Austin take huge leaps in preparation during the offseason program. He particularly praised his improved pass-route running; in the meantime, Austin's return skills still must be respected. He had a 75-yard punt return for a touchdown against the Seahawks, as well.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
Hopefully! Man, imagine what he could do for this offense. If Bailey and him break out, we're easily in the playoffs

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Well, its year 3. That's when many higher pick receivers break out. Austin's versatility gives him more opportunities to make big plays. Lets hope this is the case with him. He's a game changer.

V3

Hall of Fame
He particularly praised his improved pass-route running
This is what I'm waiting to see. It's great that the Rams are getting production out of him by using him as a RB but that's not what I want to see from Tavon. He was drafted as a WR. I want to see a productive WR. -2 yards receiving is not good production as a WR.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Austin's return skills still must be respected. He had a 75-yard punt return for a touchdown against the Seahawks, as well.
I, personally would not say they have to be respected! That's weak!!!
I think his return skills have to be FEARED by all our opponents!!(y):D

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
This is what I'm waiting to see. It's great that the Rams are getting production out of him by using him as a RB but that's not what I want to see from Tavon. He was drafted as a WR. I want to see a productive WR. -2 yards receiving is not good production as a WR.

I'd like to see more from him as a WR as well but, after seeing the play on Sunday where he got past Sherman and should have been led more by Foles for an easy touchdown, I'm more confident that he'll do that especially as he and Foles get more accustomed to each other.

V3

Hall of Fame
I'd like to see more from him as a WR as well but, after seeing the play on Sunday where he got past Sherman and should have been led more by Foles for an easy touchdown, I'm more confident that he'll do that especially as he and Foles get more accustomed to each other.
The route on that was encouraging. Foles is definitely going to have to lead more in the future on the deep throws.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
The TDs were great, but he also had a nice conversion on the game tying drive, right before Kendricks caught that TD. Helped us win that game.

SimpleBabyishBlackfly.gif

Big Game

Living The Dream

I think Tavon's route running has improved he easily beat Sherman by about 5 yards Foles just floated that pass a lil too much. But it still should have been a PI.

Also as another poster mentioned Tavon had a key catch on the final drive to tie the game.

I can see Tavon and Stedman having a great season this year.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
I think Tavon's route running has improved he easily beat Sherman by about 5 yards Foles just floated that pass a lil too much. But it still should have been a PI.

That was pure speed, baby. Hopefully they will connect in stride on a few of those this year.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Yes, yes, yes, a resounding YES!!!

jap

Legend
I, personally would not say they have to be respected! That's weak!!!
I think his return skills have to be FEARED by all our opponents!!(y):D

His return skills are feared . . . by most teams. They tend to kick away from him. The 'Hawks, in their eternal arrogance, thought they could control Tavon and got burned for it.

I wonder if the Horns plan to employ Todd Gurley early on as a KR man, before he is bumped up to #1 RB. Tavon at PR and Gurley at KR is one hell of a return duo!!!

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
His return skills are feared . . . by most teams. They tend to kick away from him. The 'Hawks, in their eternal arrogance, thought they could control Tavon and got burned for it.

I wonder if the Horns plan to employ Todd Gurley early on as a KR man, before he is bumped up to #1 RB. Tavon at PR and Gurley at KR is one hell of a return duo!!!
Only God, Snisher, and the coaching staff know!!:D

RamzFanz

Damnit
Skins fans AND Rams fans are calling him a bust and JAG on the Skins forums. Sooooo short sighted!

I...can't...wait! :sneaky:

TavonAustin65YardTD.gif

This will be a season to see for a lot of players.