Is it finally time for the Rams to walk away from Trumaine Johnson?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
He's not shutdown, but he's pretty damn good overall. He's physical in the run game and has better hands than most corners. If you can keep the Cap hit reasonable, I'd like to keep the guy. I've seen guys like Jerametrius Butler, Travis Fisher, Bartell, Fahkir Brown, Tye Hill and other scrubs to know he's not gonna be the easiest guy to replace even if you throw a 1st or 3rd round pick at CB. Give him a 5 year deal where the team can escape after the 3rd if he doesn't play well enough.
I've always seen Tru like Charles Woodson. In his later years, I think he can transition to Safety with his ball skills. 6'2 with hands is always nice to have. He's not as instinctive as Woodson, but he's close enough IMO.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
He doesn't deserve top 5 CB money BUT he is a good player and I would love to see him stay with the rams.

He is a top 10 CB in my opinion and this team is not very deep at that position

But facts are facts. He's not a top 10 cb. Any reputable stat sheet will show you that . Putting any guy as a top 10 corner is a pretty tall order. I don't feel like Johnson's in that class and the numbers show that

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
But facts are facts. He's not a top 10 cb. Any reputable stat sheet will show you that . Putting any guy as a top 10 corner is a pretty tall order. I don't feel like Johnson's in that class and the numbers show that

Facts ARE facts, but Trumaine Johnson not being a top 10 CB is an opinion.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
I get where you're coming from but I can name ten corners that are better than Tru off the top of my head. And that's a sign he's a good #2 not a #1

I hate the off-season

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I mean it's really not. I compare hard stats . And those are facts not fiction

It really is. You can compare stats, but the interpretation of that comparison is an opinion. Don't be difficult. You know the difference between a fact and an opinion.

IMO, Tru isn't a top 10 CB, but he's not far off. He's in the 11 to 15 range in my book. The CBs I'd say are better than Tru (in no order):
1. Patrick Peterson
2. Jalen Ramsey
3. Josh Norman
4. Richard Sherman
5. Chris Harris Jr.
6. Aqib Talib
7. A.J. Bouye
8. Marshon Lattimore
9. Marcus Peters
10. Xavier Rhodes
11. Darius Slay
12. Janoris Jenkins

There are a handful of others you could make arguments for being better than Tru (ex. Casey Heyward). Regardless, he's a good CB. He's not elite, but he's good. I'd keep him if the price is reasonable. If not, I let him walk.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I get where you're coming from but I can name ten corners that are better than Tru off the top of my head. And that's a sign he's a good #2 not a #1

I hate the off-season

There are 32 teams. Even if we say that not every team has a "true" #1 CB, I'm not sure why top 10 would be the cutoff for #1 CBs.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Sign him. There are no better free agent options. There is already a hole on the other side and depth concerns. Letting Tru walk creates a bigger problem.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Meh. I could read the cat totally wrong but I can’t see where he feels indebted to the Rams at all for over paying him the last 2 years.
I can see this playing out where he holds out for a big contract only to end up signing with another team at a reasonable figure where we are left thinking that we should have signed him for that
8-10 mill? Love to keep him. North of that? GTFO

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
It really is. You can compare stats, but the interpretation of that comparison is an opinion. Don't be difficult. You know the difference between a fact and an opinion.

IMO, Tru isn't a top 10 CB, but he's not far off. He's in the 11 to 15 range in my book. The CBs I'd say are better than Tru (in no order):
1. Patrick Peterson
2. Jalen Ramsey
3. Josh Norman
4. Richard Sherman
5. Chris Harris Jr.
6. Aqib Talib
7. A.J. Bouye
8. Marshon Lattimore
9. Marcus Peters
10. Xavier Rhodes
11. Darius Slay
12. Janoris Jenkins

There are a handful of others you could make arguments for being better than Tru (ex. Casey Heyward). Regardless, he's a good CB. He's not elite, but he's good. I'd keep him if the price is reasonable. If not, I let him walk.

Problem is he wants to get paid like an elite CB

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

So do I.

But are there any teams that are going to offer him that sort of contract (or me, for that matter)?

If he doesn't get any such offer, then the Rams may be able to sign him for a contract that makes sense. He may want to be paid a franchise level salary, but that is rather unlikely to happen, so he will have to settle for much less.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I'm sure NRC does too. However, the market will dictate whether Tru comes back. If someone else wants to pay him like that, he can walk. And I won't be surprised if that happens. He'd be a top 10 CB in some schemes.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
I don' think he allowed a td all year, that is that most important stat . He played very well and did not get targeted alot because of that .

I would not pay him 15 million a year but he deserves top 10 money and if rams don't pay him , someone else will

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
He's a CB2. A good CB2, but the Rams are correct to at least let him go sample the market. There is a chance no teams get into the range he thinks he's worth, and if that happens he might end up settling on a manageable number with the Rams. But yeah, that's a longshot. He's a real high percentage to depart in FA and best of luck to him.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I have a feeling Tru's not gonna be back. The problem with having an upper tier but not elite CB is that someone will pay him like an elite CB. Especially a team who's needy in that area.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
I have a feeling Tru's not gonna be back. The problem with having an upper tier but not elite CB is that someone will pay him like an elite CB. Especially a team who's needy in that area.

See Ron Bartell.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
I don' think he allowed a td all year, that is that most important stat . He played very well and did not get targeted alot because of that .

I would not pay him 15 million a year but he deserves top 10 money and if rams don't pay him , someone else will

I think we have bigger FA's to sign at the moment. Lets also not forget that Troy Hill was absolutely balling at the end of the year. And a couple of other guys were starting to flash. We have to take the (I know you'll hate hearing this) New England approach, sign guys we need, don't overpay for the ones that can be replaced. Guys like Tru absolutely KILL the cap for teams. He's going to go to the highest bidder, as the article below stats he probably wont go under 13 mil a year. NEXT

http://theramswire.usatoday.com/201...trumaine-johnson-free-agency-resign-contract/

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I think we have bigger FA's to sign at the moment. Lets also not forget that Troy Hill was absolutely balling at the end of the year. And a couple of other guys were starting to flash. We have to take the (I know you'll hate hearing this) New England approach, sign guys we need, don't overpay for the ones that can be replaced. Guys like Tru absolutely KILL the cap for teams. He's going to go to the highest bidder, as the article below stats he probably wont go under 13 mil a year. NEXT

http://theramswire.usatoday.com/201...trumaine-johnson-free-agency-resign-contract/

If that's what it will take to sign him I gotta think they'll have to move on from him. We might have to go with less talent at the position, but if Webster can come back healthy and guys like Hill continue to improve, they can still be competitive in the secondary. And a good pass rush can make like easier for DB's.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi

Patriots just gave Gilmore 65 million.
I see what your saying and 13 million a year is a little nuts but CB is an important posiion in this defense .
You can fill in tackles and line backers but good corners are not easy to find.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Among 86 cornerbacks with at least 325 coverage snaps, Pro Football Focus had Johnson ranked 35th in opponents' completion percentage (57.3) and 36th in opponents' passer rating (79.8) when targeted, which accounts for every time a receiver was thrown a pass while Johnson was considered the primary man in coverage.
I don't know about all that. The scheme has a lot to do with it. If a CB is in zone and QBs are hitting shallow crossers, quick outs and short curls on his man, then how is that an indictment of the CB? I can't recall very many times Trumaine was beaten deep. As others have said already, the Rams have to put a value on him and stick to it. Simply "walking away" isn't really an option, so that thread title can blow me.