Is it finally time for the Rams to walk away from Trumaine Johnson?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
http://www.espn.com/blog/los-angele...r-the-rams-to-walk-away-from-trumaine-johnson

Is it finally time for the Rams to walk away from Trumaine Johnson?

LOS ANGELES -- The Los Angeles Rams finally have a long-term, hard-line decision to make with Trumaine Johnson, either to pay him among the game's elite cornerbacks or let him walk away.

Speaking shortly after his team's season ended, Rams general manager Les Snead said he could "definitely" envision a scenario under which Johnson returns. Snead added that Johnson, coming off his second consecutive franchise tag, "fit" the scheme of defensive coordinator Wade Phillips, a stated concern entering the 2017 season. But that fit must be, in Snead's words, "ideal."

"Especially when it gets to guys that are obviously going to demand -- command, based on their ability and their performance -- top dollar," Snead said. "They definitely have to be ideal scheme fits."

Johnson is widely considered one of the top two or three cornerbacks potentially available on the free-agent market, but the numbers say he hasn't necessarily performed at an elite level.

Among 86 cornerbacks with at least 325 coverage snaps, Pro Football Focus had Johnson ranked 35th in opponents' completion percentage (57.3) and 36th in opponents' passer rating (79.8) when targeted, which accounts for every time a receiver was thrown a pass while Johnson was considered the primary man in coverage.

Johnson assumed the role as the Rams' primary cornerback starting in 2016, when Janoris Jenkins left to join the New York Giants, and gave up an 89.4 quarterback rating that year, ranked 34th. This past season, Johnson allowed 1.33 yards per coverage snap, which put him within the bottom 20 percent of qualified cornerbacks, according to Pro Football Focus. The analytics site gave Johnson an overall grade of 74.2, tied for 68th among 121 players at his position.

Sixteen cornerbacks who are scheduled to become unrestricted free agents graded higher than Johnson in 2017. They are: Patrick Robinson (ranked sixth), Tramon Williams (ninth), E.J. Gaines (13th), Rashaan Melvin (tied for 17th), Nickell Robey-Coleman (tied for 19th), TJ Carrie (tied for 22nd), Kyle Fuller(tied for 22nd), Byron Maxwell (25th), Brent Grimes (36th), Ross Cockrell (tied for 39th), Prince Amukamara (41st), Aaron Colvin (tied for 47th), Malcolm Butler (tied for 51st), Bashaud Breeland (tied for 54th), Johnathan Joseph(65th) and Terence Newman (66th).

That doesn't mean they all fit as alternatives, of course. Colvin and Robey-Coleman, Johnson's Rams teammate, primarily play the slot. Williams, Joseph and Grimes are approaching their mid-30s, with Newman turning 40 in September. Among those who remain, Butler, Robinson, Breeland and Gaines are shorter than 6-foot, which means they can't match the size and length of a 6-foot-2, 213-pound Johnson. Melvin -- listed at 6-foot-2, 196 pounds -- can, but has been plagued by injuries throughout his career.

That leaves five: Amukamara, Carrie, Cockrell, Fuller and Maxwell, all of whom have accumulated a lower career approximate value than Johnson.

Johnson had two interceptions in 2017 -- after recording one in 2016 -- but he also dropped a handful of easy ones. Only 10 players had more than Johnson's 12 pass breakups, according to ESPN Stats & Information. And Johnson handled himself adequately against the opposing team's primary receiver, an important factor for a Phillips defense that asks its cornerbacks to play a lot of man coverage.

Johnson spent a lot of time shadowing Pierre Garcon, Dez Bryant, Marqise Lee, Larry Fitzgerald, DeAndre Hopkins, Michael Thomas and Alshon Jeffery in 2017. Those seven combined to catch 30 of 52 targets for 472 yards and two touchdowns when Johnson was responsible for covering them, according to numbers compiled by ESPN analyst Mike Clay. They hauled in 57.7 percent of their targets, nearly eight percentage points below the NFL average.

"He does a good job," Phillips said of Johnson's ability to match up against the opponents' best receivers. "He's versatile to play both sides, which really helps you."

The Rams tried to trade Johnson last offseason, but they couldn't get a deal done. Johnson instead entered training camp upset that they never showed much interest in a long-term commitment.

"I believe the Rams are going in a different direction at the end of the season," Johnson said in late July. "It's out of my control."

But Johnson kept his focus, which is a lot easier to do with a $16.74 million salary. He was named a captain, and as the season went on and the winning became more frequent, Johnson, like so many in the Rams' locker room, progressively warmed up to the organization and its future, stating on several occasions that he would be open to trying once again to negotiate an extension.

Salaries for the top cornerbacks average somewhere in the neighborhood of $13 million a year, and Johnson could very well command something in that range this offseason.

But the Rams might not be able to allocate so much to one player at that position. Kayvon Webster, their No. 2 cornerback, is coming off a ruptured Achilles tendon that could linger into training camp, and behind him there isn't much else. The Rams need a lot more depth at corner, and they appear to prioritize safety Lamarcus Joyner among their pending free agents.

If Johnson's salary demands get too high, it might finally be time to walk away.

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I certainly wouldn't overpay him like they have been. He's an average CB at best.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I will go against the grain here...I don't like free agency. Yeah, I'm going to get the freedom of movement argument, to which I respond, all NFL players have the freedom to get another job or play within the structure provided by a FA free NFL. It was sold as a way to break up dynasties, and yet we have the New England Patriots with more Super Bowl appearances than anybody during the age of free agency (or before it).
Pro's:
1. A player can freely move to another team and get overpaid by those willing to do so.
2. ?

Con's:
1. Unrestricted FA drives the cost of everything up.
2. When players stayed with one team, fans knew them better (football wise) and felt more connected to the team.
3. The major sales job that FA would prevent NFL dynasties from developing, proved to be BS.
4. Building a team is harder and much more temporary, because players hit a gold mine in FA in a few years. Seems to conflict with #3 with the Patriots, but it is what it is. Teams lose good players when trying to retain Super Stars due to the limited cap room, when before they retained everybody they were smart enough to draft.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
Well can't tag him again. He's been paid 32mil the last two years to be an average cb. Unless he's willing to sign a team friendly contract, Let some other team overpay him.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Rams are no longer in a position to overpay for his services any longer. Rams have some outstanding current UFA's & future UFA's players whom are far more important valuable Vital & far better fits for this teams defense & offense now than Trumaine. Tru has been vastly overpaid now for the 2 previous seasons. Rams have treated him very very well. If any party in this situation needs to give a little its Tru not the Ram Org.

Bottom line here Tru will be a better fit & much more valuable to many other teams who run a different defensive scheme than Wade does. This does not take anything away from Tru here its just a fact! Rams must get the best available corners that fit correctly in with Wade's scheme nothing more. Rams need to go get a better fitting veteran UFA corner & pay him.I like :love: Tru very much & think he is a class act & a true professional:bow:. I just wished his game was better suited to what Wade needs.:sadwalk:

Rams are in a better position here in Free Agency to bring back several of our own four DB's who are involved one way or another with our corners:

*UFA CB NR-C who started numerous games on the outside corner position is a young trending upward & on the rise who fits the Wade scheme better.
*ERFA CB Troy Hill also started 3 gms & finished 2 other as our starting outside corner in 2017. He has played in 25 Ram games the last 2 seasons. He is a econo price $$$ resign. He also fits the Wade scheme.
*UFA Nickle Corner/FS Lamarcus Joyner played a ton of Nickle corner in 2017 even being listed as the starting FS. LJ is an outstanding fit in the wade secondary. He has latent leadership qualities & carries more overall value to this defense than Trumaine.
*UFA Safety Cody Davis played was elevated in the Wade scheme it was his play that dis-patched starting safety Mo Alexander into the unemployment line. Cody's presence permits LJ to flip into the Nickle post when needed. Cody will sign a Ram friendly contract in order to return.

In addition to young vet corner Kayvon Webster plus the Rams had 2 rookie corners who they like under contract this upcoming season in Kevin Peterson & Dom Hatfield. Peterson really came on late. Fact is from my point of view the best performance by a Ram corner in 2017 was accomplished by a first yr player named Kevin Peterson in wk #17. IMO Peterson is a sleeper & will need to keep an eye on in TC & pre season. Snead & Wade also liked the skills that dinky corner rookie Hatfield demonstrated in practice.

Wade also brought in FA Taurean Nixon who was drafted by Denver in 2015. He was a super raw corner prospect who has run the 40 sub 4.4 he has been times as low anywhere between 4.25 and 4.37 at the Tulane pro day. He is also over 6 ft. Nixon is under contract for the next 2 seasons. Wade also has another NR-C type corner in Marcus Sayles. He is also under contract until 2020. UDFA Marcus Sayles is an extremely fast and explosive player in college. Sub 4.4 40, & blocked 13 kicks in college (Hey Bones). He was in Buffalo Bills TC & preseason in 2017. He was known in college to have skills to break down and make tackles in the open field.

If Snead can draft a talented corner & purchase a veteran starter UFA this secondary should be a solid strength in 2018 season.

Last edited:

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
He doesn't deserve top 5 CB money BUT he is a good player and I would love to see him stay with the rams.

He is a top 10 CB in my opinion and this team is not very deep at that position

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
L
He doesn't deserve top 5 CB money BUT he is a good player and I would love to see him stay with the rams.

He is a top 10 CB in my opinion and this team is not very deep at that position
He has been over played what, at least 10 mil, maybe 13 mil the last 2 years? He should sign for no more than 10 mil a season if what he says is true. He wants to play here.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
He's going to sign with the team that offers him the most dinero. He's not going to give 2 shits about what he has already been paid... his decision will be based on what he is going to be paid going forward and that's gonna be it. Expecting him to give the Rams a discount is a fantasy that is never going to happen.

Good luck to him. I hope he stays... but I'm not expecting it.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
He's not going to give 2 shits about what he has already been paid... his decision will be based on what he is going to be paid going forward and that's gonna be it. Expecting him to give the Rams a discount is a fantasy that is never going to happen.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I like TruJo a lot. Unfortunately, tagging him for 2 years in a row has been a complete waste of money. Offer him 10 million per year and then move on. Please. I'm getting really tired of having this conversation every year.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Not gonna lose sleep if we lose TruJo over not re-signing him to a team friendly contract. His performance is good but a lot of his deficiencies are masked by Donald, Brockers, Quinn, and Phillip's scheme. If I recall, he got harassed by Dez until Wade's adjustments were made to accumulate more pressure on Prescott.

Ram65

Legend
He stayed healthy and now gets his reward with the team that will pay him and he wants to play for. At this point I would go ahead and give him 12M per year type contract. It would save a lot of headaches replacing him. Having no second round pick makes drafting harder. TruJo in horns is unlikely, unless he really wants to stay here over money.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
He stayed healthy and now gets his reward with the team that will pay him and he wants to play for. At this point I would go ahead and give him 12M per year type contract. It would save a lot of headaches replacing him. Having no second round pick makes drafting harder. TruJo in horns is unlikely, unless he really wants to stay here over money.
Two other California teams are looking for a veteran corners....9ers have a big need @ corner & the Raiders just dumped both their starting veteran corners.

Psycho_X

Legend
I would like to keep him at a non-break neck amount of money. But he is replaceable if the Rams decide to make a run at one of the other free agents. I'm not sure Colvin couldn't be an outside CB in Phillips defense. He's got decent size too. Fuller I would like as well. Tru's size is basically what has garnered him so much money. He's not a blanket corner but his length and ok speed keeps him in plays usually. Any time a play gets extended though or a sharp cut when he isn't ready for it he can be exposed for easy catches. Switching his size for a more blanket type CB will give up some catches to big receivers but equal out to better overall coverage imo.

Of course, a big wrench in plans is Webster's achilles injury. If he was 100% I'd be more willing to take a flyer on a promising free agent. His uncertainty might have them looking at keeping Tru first. One thing I am certain of though, keeping NRC on the slot and Joyner at safety is a bigger priority than Tru over another free agent cb.

fearsomefour

Legend
$12-13M.
If not, see ya.
He may well move on.
The team is worse without him so hopefully they find a replacement.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
It's time for TruJo to decide his priorities.

If he wants to be on an up-and-coming team whose window is just now opening, he'll come off of his demands to be paid like a top dog shutdown corner and negotiate a good, team friendly deal (taking stock of the fact that he was paid like a top-5 guy the last two years, and can be set for life off those two years alone).

If he wants to be paid like a top-5 CB ... see ya.

We or me, TruJo?

99Balloons

Pro Bowler
Name
G
TruJo already got paid. Rams need to focus on paying Aaron Donald, who is the future HOF and deserves to be paid.

Other positions can be filled thru the draft and mid-tiered FAs, and let the coaches coach up. Rams got to be judicious about free-spending or else they won't have the flexibility to replenish their talent base with the right personnel to fit within certain schemes.