Is Fuller ahead of Rapp on depth chart?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
From what I read this morning. Yes. He outplayed him in camp.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Nothing against Rapp, I like him. But I feel like Fuller brought more in last nights game then what I seen from Rapp last year.

Again, not a fault on Rapp, just Im impressed with Fuller.

André

Always far too invested
Rams On Demand Sponsor
My guess is that it is semi-related to Rapp not being able to get on the field for a big chunk of the pre-season. Fuller was just better at the end of camp than Rapp. When Rapp is all the way there, I anticipate he'll be back to the lead share of playing.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't think Rapp would have missed any of those tackles either, and he is probably better in coverage. But the rookie is pretty good.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I think we need a Fuller picture before we know the Rapp on either player.

I think both are going to be good players for us.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
I think we're seeing the last of JJ as a Ram, this season. I think he is a good player but they have drafted his replacement.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
Bit of a shocker.

We appear to have a new starting safety. Fuller earned it and last night he showed why. Maybe someone of the board will break down his play, and it likely may not have been perfect, but it was a very impressive debut for a rookie let alone a sixth rounder.

I'm sure Rapp will play more going forward, but likely not in place of Fuller at safety.

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame
Don't give a Damn what any of these media bobble heads think , Mr Snead and
his staff are some of the best in the league at finding talent that fits what we do.
All while doing it without first round picks, just like the patriots did for years.
IMHO Mr Snead is a Badass Mofo.

Classic Rams

Hall of Fame
My guess is that it is semi-related to Rapp not being able to get on the field for a big chunk of the pre-season. Fuller was just better at the end of camp than Rapp. When Rapp is all the way there, I anticipate he'll be back to the lead share of playing.

This right here.

Rapp's injury put him behind in learning Staley's new scheme. Which gave Fuller a chance to get familiar with it by having mostly all the reps. It obviously paid off for Fuller in the game, especially on that cleverly diagnosed stop on 4th down. For a rookie (or even a vet!) Fuller had an amazing game.

LA_Rams_#29

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
LA Rams 29
It think it may also be the fact that Fuller allows JJ to be in the SS spot as opposed to the FS spot. If Johnson and Rapp are the starters, than JJ is the FS, and Rapp is the strong. That's not a bad thing, but it may be that Fuller at the FS, and JJ at the SS gives us 2 guys at their more natural position.

I think the other thing folks should notice is that Kenny Young got 38 Defensive snaps, so he more than doubled Rapp's. That means at least vs. the Cowboys, we went with more 2 ILB sets than having an extra safety. Again, as another poster pointed out that could be a specific match up against the run heavy cowboys, or that may be a hint that we are going with 2 ILBs more this year....or a mix of both choices. Either way, I like the set up.

oldnotdead

Legend
No I think they are being cautious with Taylor's injury. Also, if Fuller keeps on playing like this it will make allowing Johnson to walk. With Johnson is gone Taylor would probably move to FS with Fuller at SS which is where he should be playing. I think Taylor was rotating with Johnson to see if he can play that position. That would free up Burgess to play CB.

what I didn't like was Staley playing so much zone. Too much bend not break style of defense. They have the players to be more aggressive in the secondary. I will put it down to Staley being cautious as a newbie with no pre-season to really see his players on the field. We saw how he was gradually getting more aggressive.

Another aspect I didn't like was moving Ebukam to DE and not using him as a SAM. It showed because the flats were pretty much undefended. One good thing is he closed the swinging door in the middle by pulling SJD and using Gaines and Brockers to fill the middle. They definitely missed Robinson. Not having a SAM in the flats will be a problem with a running QB.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

When the Los Angeles Rams drafted safety Jordan Fuller out of Ohio State last spring, there wasn't much fanfare outside of Columbus, Ohio and Fuller's hometown of Old Tappan, New Jersey. One hundred and ninety-eight players and 17 other safety prospects were selected prior to Fuller in the sixth round. Yet in Week 1 of the NFL on Sunday Night Football, it was Fuller, in his professional debut, making plays in the Rams' secondary.

Following a 20-17 win against the Dallas Cowboys, Fuller was a major talking point. He finished the game with a team-best eight tackles, six in the first half, including a crucial stop on fourth down early in the fourth quarter.

With the Rams leading by three and the Cowboys driving down to LA's 11-yard line, veteran head coach Mike McCarthy elected to go for it instead of attempting a tying field goal. Quarterback Dak Prescott found rookie wide receiver CeeDee Lamb over the middle but Fuller, after navigating through a sea of bodies, came up and made the tackle on the former Oklahoma star short of the first down marker.

Clutch tackle on fourth down by Jordan Fuller ?? @J_Fuller4 #RamsHouse

??: #DALvsLAR on NBC
??: NFL app // Yahoo Sports app: https://t.co/ynDmpGSOcL pic.twitter.com/sjoZZXtMRZ
— NFL (@NFL) September 14, 2020
"Jordan has been balling all (training) camp and we are happy to have him in our secondary," cornerback Jalen Ramsey, who just signed a record five-year, $105-million extension last week, said of Fuller. "He’s been playing extremely well so we expected him to do that again tonight.”

This wasn't how many anticipated the Rams' secondary to look to start the season. Second-year safety Taylor Rapp was expected to start opposite John Johnson III on the back end of the Los Angeles defense after playing in 15 games a year ago, starting 10, and recording 100 tackles. But it was Fuller who trotted out on to the field for the Rams on the defense's first possession of the year and it was the rookie who played 71 snaps, second most on the defense.

But maybe this shouldn't have been as big of a surprise. After all, Fuller had an impressive college career at Ohio State, finishing as a top-three tackler for the Buckeyes in each of his three seasons as a starter. Multiple draft experts believed the Rams got a bit of a steal last spring when Fuller fell to the sixth round.

In addition to Fuller's talent, Rapp suffered a knee injury early in the team's training camp and missed all but the last week prior to the start of the season. Fuller, along with 2020 third-round pick Terrell Burgess out of Utah, took Rapp's reps and reportedly looked good throughout the preseason.

According to Rams head coach Sean McVay, it was Fuller's play in camp that got him the start and limited Rapp to just 15 defensive snaps and some special teams work. And both Fuller and Rapp will remain as important parts to the team's defense.

“It was based on the way Jordan Fuller performed throughout training camp,” McVay said postgame. “Taylor Rapp is a big part of our football team, that is not going to change, but it was more a result of great things that Jordan has done from day one. I mean, he’s been making plays, he’s mature beyond his years. The way he sees things, his range, his ability to make plays, as he demonstrated tonight. So, very pleased with Jordan. He’s going to continue to get better, but Taylor Rapp is a huge part of our football team as well.”

Fuller was a part of new defensive coordinator Brandon Staley’s new scheme with plenty of post-snap motion meant to confuse the opposing quarterbacks. Going against what is expected to be an elite Cowboys passing attack with Prescott, Amari Cooper, Michael Gallup and Lamb as the key pieces, the Rams held Dallas to 244 yards through the air.

While it's just one game and there are sure to be bumps in the road for Fuller, it was another impressive NFL debut for a former member of Ohio State's secondary. Or as they call it in Columbus, Best In America.

oldnotdead

Legend
I've been saying both Young and Kiser have SS speed, and IMO Staley was using them as quasi safeties. Kiser definitely was better in coverage than Littleton.

Malibu

Pro Bowler
Y'all remember that great 4th down stop by Fuller but the rest of the game he sucked!

To prove my point I kept saying who is this #32 that keeps missing tackles, giving WRs so much space I literally looked up the # because I couldn't read it off my phone (tv out).

Fuller was a one man defensive liability. Look at the tape.

I am sure he will improve. Rapp us way better I bet he is still recovering from his injury.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

Jordan Fuller shuts down CeeDee Lamb on huge play

The Dallas Cowboys ran a pick play for star rookie wide receiver CeeDee Lamb in a huge fourth-down situation. And Los Angeles Rams safety Jordan Fuller refused to get picked.

The Rams led the Cowboys 20-17 in the fourth quarter, with Dallas electing to go for it on a fourth-and-3 from the 11. The Cowboys dragged Lamb across the field, underneath a tight end designed to bunch up traffic to create an opening.

That’s when Fuller, a sixth-round pick out of Ohio State, made one of the game’s biggest defensive plays.

Clutch tackle on fourth down by Jordan Fuller ?? @J_Fuller4 #RamsHouse

??: #DALvsLAR on NBC
??: NFL app // Yahoo Sports app: https://t.co/ynDmpGSOcL pic.twitter.com/sjoZZXtMRZ
The Rams ran the right coverage in that situation; the cornerback who looked like he was defending Lamb in man coverage instead dropped to safety, with Fuller hurrying to beat Lamb to the spot. But it’s still not an easy play to make, fighting through all those players and tackling Lamb after a two-yard gain, forcing a turnover on downs.

Neither team scored the rest of the game, with the Rams claiming a 20-17 week one victory.

Fuller made an All-Big Ten team in each of his final three years in Columbus, ascending from a third-team selection as a sophomore to a second-teamer as a junior and finally a first-team All-Big Ten pick as a senior. He had 62 tackles, two interceptions and helped Ohio State to the College Football Playoff last year.

It's impressive that the Rams are already putting so much faith in their sixth-round pick, and if Fuller keeps making plays like the one against Lamb, he'll be tough to take off the field.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
The former Ohio State safety came out of the shadows of greats around him on Sunday night
By Kenneth Arthur
1600102978713.png

In 2009, the St. Louis Rams were coming off of a 2-14 season and beginning the Steve Spagnuolo era by drafting tackle Jason Smith with the second overall pick. That move didn’t work out well for the Rams, but in the second round they found a linebacker out of Ohio State who’d do no less than make a lot of tackles.

As a member of the Buckeyes, James Laurinaitis became the first player to win two Big Ten Defensive Player of the Year awards. On a defense with players like Cam Heyward, Vernon Gholston and Malcolm Jenkins, Laurinaitis stood out as a leader and an Ohio State legend. In his first game with the Rams, he finished with 15 tackles against the Seattle Seahawks, the most ever in a debut with the franchise.
By far.

Since the merger, no other Rams player has even had more than eight tackles in his debut. That didn’t change on Sunday night against the Dallas Cowboys, but another play came into a tie for second behind Laurinaitis. And he also knows what it is like to be a defensive legend at Ohio State.

Jordan Fuller was named a captain of the Ohio State defense as a junior and made second team Big Ten and first team Big Ten in his final two season. The Ohio State website’s first comment on Fuller’s player profile page is: “One of the great student-athletes in football history.”

Overshadowed by teammates like Jeffrey Okudah, Damon Arnette, Chase Young and Nick Bosa, Fuller still led the team in tackles in 2018 and was a key to the success of his secondary teammates in 2019 with 62 tackles, two interceptions and four passes defensed. He didn’t get drafted until the sixth round, three rounds after LA had already selected a safety, but Fuller almost immediately started getting snaps with the starters in practice.

When Taylor Rapp was injured, his playing time became all but a guarantee and on Sunday night, Fuller played in all but one snap on defense.

In his debut NFL game, Fuller led all Rams with eight tackles, including what essentially mounts to the play of the game in a key fourth-down stop on Dallas Cowboys rookie receiver (the 17th overall pick in his same draft) CeeDee Lamb. If Lamb gets the first down, the Cowboys have first and goal and at that point may settle for no less than three points.

Instead, Fuller got Jared Goff and the offense back on the field still holding the lead.

Former NFL QB Dan Orlovsky broke down Fuller’s play on Twitter. Lamb was running a shallow route, the tight end is meant to pick the defensive player who is covering Lamb, but Fuller switches on Lamb and goes “over the top” of the tight ends block and makes a perfect tackle on the rookie receiver.

The 4th and 3 the @dallascowboys had a lot are blaming Schultz/CD/Dak—it’s none of them. The @RamsNFL made the play—and it’s a sick one. pic.twitter.com/bXx91xRaNH
— Dan Orlovsky (@danorlovsky7) September 14, 2020
Fuller’s eight tackles is tied for the second-most in a Rams debut with linebacker Alec Ogletree in 2013 and undrafted free agent Mike Jordan in 2016.

This is not the first time Fuller and Lamb shared the field. Lamb had five catches for 61 yards while playing with Baker Mayfield and Kyler Murray for Oklahoma in a 2017 road game at Columbus to face Fuller’s Buckeyes. Fuller had six tackles but the Sooners won 31-16 and essentially that went on to kill their national title hopes.

Fuller got the better of Lamb and his team this time.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
I was pretty surprised it was Fuller and not Burgess, considering the draft capital.

Deac

Starter
Name
Sean
I don't think Rapp would have missed any of those tackles either, and he is probably better in coverage. But the rookie is pretty good.
Ya, his first half angles left him eating turf alot, cleaned up in the second half.