Is Foles the main problem?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Do you think Foles will be a solid QB if the line protects him and the WRs lower their drops?

• Yes, most of the problem is not him.

Votes: 53 58.2%
  • Maybe, we won't know until he is protected and supported by the WRs.

Votes: 36 39.6%
  • No, Foles is responsible so he probably won't improve.

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Other, see my comment below.

Votes: 1 1.1%

• Total voters

RamzFanz

Damnit
I think Foles will be very good if the WRs and line tighten up. Not that he's a top 5 QB or even could be, but he could be top 10 in my book in a solid situation.

Rams are the worst team in the NFL for dropped passes:

1 St. Louis Rams 141 11 7.8%

Dropped passes by player:

7 Benny Cunningham RB STL 14 3 19 73.7% 15.8%
16 Jared Cook TE STL 15 3 28 53.6% 10.7%
29 Lance Kendricks TE STL 7 2 14 50.0% 14.3%
32 Kenny Britt WR STL 11 2 22 50.0% 9.1%

@LACHAMP46 - Your boy Quick who you say it's Foles fault for not targeting enough, who I think will be a star with Foles throwing to him when he shakes off the rust, isn't on this list for some reason, but if he was, he would top it at 33%.

I can't even recall how many game changers and drive killers the WRs have dropped.

The Seahawks, by the way, have had TWO dropped passes this season. TWO. For the LEAST in the NFL.

32 Seattle Seahawks 174 2 1.1%

How good is 1.1%? Well, it's as good as Stedman Bailey's entire career with three seasons of zero drops including this one so far.

I've read that Foles is also the 2nd most pressured QB in the NFL this season.

Wilson is the most pressured and he has fared better in the stats because of his feet and receptions vs drops, but the Seahawks have only legitimately beaten the Bears this season.

With Gurley destroying defenses on the ground, Foles should have all day in the pocket, yet he doesn't. That's not bad pass protection, it's almost non-existent.

Speaking of defenses, yes, Rams' D is on the field too much because of failures to convert, but that much opportunity should equal defensive points. They have none. We all knew the D was going to have to carry us the first 5 games, and they have been fun to watch, but they just weren't able to add the points we hoped for.

Up until Green Bay Foles had 1 INT. In Green Bay it seems at least 2 TD passes were dropped. I've heard several analysts say Quick could have, and should have, high pointed that TD pass as it was designed and just didn't. I've also heard several analysts say Cook stopped on that route. How do they know? I don't know. Maybe someone smarter than me can explain. It was also one of the worst QB poundings I've ever seen.

Most dropped passes in the NFL, second most pressures, zero defensive scoring, doesn't equal blame the QB to me.

I will blame Foles when he has some semblance of protection and the receivers stop killing drives and missing TD catches.

Last edited:

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
May want to re-word your title... the answers "yes" and "no" mean opposite things if you ask your title vs. the actual poll question.

A55VA6

Legend
I'm going to say he is not the main problem, so I voted the 1st option. It's mostly the OL and WR drops imo. When he has just a second longer, he delivers dimes in clutch situations. You see it in the Seattle game and the ARZ game. Sucks how it's only the division games though..

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
He's definitely not the biggest problem, but that also doesn't mean he's not a problem at all. The guy is still bad at progressions, gets antsy and makes bad decisions trying to force it to his first read rather than go through his progressions. Trying to blame all the offense's woes on Foles is ridiculous, but also trying to completely absolve him of any guilt also completely ridiculous.

Any players on the field can suck in conjunction with the rest of the team, QBs are no different.

Also adding Quick and Britt to the drop list is really a reach, 2 drops and 1 on 3 targets isn't exactly what I'd call the principle problem in drops. Kendricks and Cook are the problem, Cook especially since it's obvious he's the primary target since he has like 5 more targets than the next closest on our team.

FRO

Legend
Until he gets protection and receivers who don't suck it will be hard to judge him.

RamzFanz

Damnit
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
May want to re-word your title... the answers "yes" and "no" mean opposite things if you ask your title vs. the actual poll question.

I see your point. I can't edit either though. Hopefully people actually read what it says.

cvramsfan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well for me so far the GB game is where I said boy oh boy I like this guy. Yea I know his #'s were really really bad. I watched time after time after time he would stand in there make the throw and get pounded. I don't know there are many QB that would have walked off the field after what he took. When his line and receivers help him just a little and with Gurley and the D, holy shit look out. I like our chances going forward.

And talk about leadership, if the rest of the team cannot be inspired by such a gutsy performance, then they should get out of the NFL. Foles needs to put up a banner in the locker room that says "HELP ME, HELP YOU!"

I like our new QB a lot, he will help this team.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
He's definitely not the biggest problem, but that also doesn't mean he's not a problem at all. The guy is still bad at progressions, gets antsy and makes bad decisions trying to force it to his first read rather than go through his progressions. Trying to blame all the offense's woes on Foles is ridiculous, but also trying to completely absolve him of any guilt also completely ridiculous.

Any players on the field can suck in conjunction with the rest of the team, QBs are no different.

Also adding Quick and Britt to the drop list is really a reach, 2 drops and 1 on 3 targets isn't exactly what I'd call the principle problem in drops. Kendricks and Cook are the problem, Cook especially since it's obvious he's the primary target since he has like 5 more targets than the next closest on our team.

If drops were the biggest determining factor in a teams success, the Hags would be 6-0, not 2-4...

RamzFanz

Damnit

Foles has some bad habits. I will reserve the "bad at progressions" criticism myself for when he has time to read the field. Although, he did that in TC some too. He gets "antsy"? I would think so.

I don't see anyone trying to absolve Foles. That's not even the question. The question is really about if this is all we get or do we get a very good QB if we resolve our other issues.

Both Quick and Britt probably both dropped TD passes. That's more important than just drops. Anyways, this isn't a condemnation of either but they added to the mass of drops so their contributions count.

Cook having the most targets is a condemnation of Fisher's failure to adjust to the reality in the Games. He is too slow to turn the ship. Remember the spread offense that was supposed to work with TA as a rookie? 5 games before he adjusted. With TA and Bailey on the team, it's mind numbing to me that they were STILL targeting Cook in GB and leaving those two underutilized.

RamzFanz

Damnit
And talk about leadership, if the rest of the team cannot be inspired by such a gutsy performance, then they should get out of the NFL. Foles needs to put up a banner in the locker room that says "HELP ME, HELP YOU!"

I am so with you on this. He didn't just take that beating and keep going after it, he didn't utter a negative word about his line. I think some fans might be confusing his leadership quality of taking responsibility with him actually being mostly to blame.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Both Quick and Britt probably both dropped TD passes. That's more important than just drops. Anyways, this isn't a condemnation of either but they added to the mass of drops so their contributions count.
How do you figure?

Quick just got back, and his only drop was at like midfield and with his defender a step behind him. Both Britt's drops were about the same, so unless they suddenly turned into Desean Jackson and broke a few tackles, there was nothing sure TD about their drops. The only people who have dropped sure TDs at this point are Kendricks and Cook I do believe.

If we're talking about past seasons, that has little do with Foles right now so that's not worth mentioning in conjunction with if they're failing Foles. Their drops definitely didn't help, but in the grand scheme of things they also didn't hurt nearly as bad as Kendricks and Cook and at least in Britt's case he's made up for it more than he's let down and you can't judge somebody who came back from a career ender based on a solitary drop out of 3 chances. I'd at least give him more than half of one game to say he's playing detrimentally.

Rainram

Starter
If drops were the biggest determining factor in a teams success, the Hags would be 6-0, not 2-4...
Touche. But they have one of the worst OLines in the league...and that is largely the reason they are 2-4 (almost 1-5).

I voted the top choice. Most of the problems are not on him. Prior to that last game, which really jacked up his numbers, he had pretty decent stats. 1 INT in the first 4 games against good D's. 2 1/2 without Gurley. No Quick. OLine being what it is.

Fix some of the stuff around him and he will impress some people.

He is not, and will not be, a Brady/Rodgers-esque QB. But we can definitely win with him. And I'm confident we can go deep in the playoffs with him (given our current makeup with Gurley and a top-notch D).

RamzFanz

Damnit

It's a strange world. Seattle allows less points per game, scores more points per game, has WAY less drops, and can't win.

So your argument could also be "If scoring points were the biggest determining factor in a teams success, the Hags would be 6-0, not 2-4..."

No stat is an island or is worth anything out of context, but, IMO, no one can reasonably argue that the drops didn't kill games for the Rams. 3rd down conversions, long field position changing plays, and TDs.

Honestly, I think if you take away either the pressure OR drops OR half of each, Rams have 3-4 wins in the toughest part of their schedule.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
By the way @RamzFanz what happened to our Butcher Shop weekly recaps? Those were fun.

RamzFanz

Damnit
How do you figure?

Quick just got back, and his only drop was at like midfield and with his defender a step behind him. Both Britt's drops were about the same, so unless they suddenly turned into Desean Jackson and broke a few tackles, there was nothing sure TD about their drops. The only people who have dropped sure TDs at this point are Kendricks and Cook I do believe.

If we're talking about past seasons, that has little do with Foles right now so that's not worth mentioning in conjunction with if they're failing Foles. Their drops definitely didn't help, but in the grand scheme of things they also didn't hurt nearly as bad as Kendricks and Cook and at least in Britt's case he's made up for it more than he's let down and you can't judge somebody who came back from a career ender based on a solitary drop out of 3 chances. I'd at least give him more than half of one game to say he's playing detrimentally.

I talked about Quick's TD in my OP, and this is a debatable opinion, but one I've heard several times in the media. Quick should have and could have high pointed that TD. That's how the play is designed, the play is all about one on one height advantage and Quick didn't play it right.

I will have to look back at Bailey's drops. I was pretty sure he dropped a sure TD but I may be mistaken.

Either way, you are twisting my meaning. I think Britt has been amazing until GB. I think Quick WILL be amazing when he shakes off the rust. I have nothing bad to say about either.

But they DID drop balls which DO count towards the total dropped balls. If TA, Gurley, Mason, or Bailey had dropped even ONE they would have been listed, but they haven't. They didn't contribute any drops to the worst in the NFL stat, Quick and Bailey did.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
I voted Yes - I don't think he is the main problem - also you didn't ask if he was going to be elite, just solid at QB - I think we've got an OK starter, once all the other pieces work (all the time) - our online has looked good on some players (shocking on others) our WRs look awesome on some plays, clueless on others etc...

RamzFanz

Damnit
I voted Yes - I don't think he is the main problem - also you didn't ask if he was going to be elite, just solid at QB - I think we've got an OK starter, once all the other pieces work (all the time) - our online has looked good on some players (shocking on others) our WRs look awesome on some plays, clueless on others etc...

The o-line has been bad overall, but not every play. Foles seems to get zero credit for the many times he's avoided the pressure and made plays. Many plays he has made them look better than they are.

The part that kills me is Bailey and TA have no drops and have almost never looked clueless this season and they just won't pass to them. It blows my mind that it takes this long to see the obvious.

I will be shocked and dismayed if they come out of the bye not involving TA and Bailey a lot more.

Wait...they catch the ball AND make plays? Pass it to Cook!

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
the choices are very black and white but the answer isn't. He's not responsible for dropped passes, bad routes or poor protection. but he is responsible for being aware of the defense, diagnosing the coverage, audibling out if needed, staying mobile in the pocket, going through his reads, ball control and handling pressure better. with good protection and a good supporting cast he can compliment a team but he's not good enough to elevate any team on his own.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'll tell you in about 5 weeks....