Is Foles done ?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Do you guys think he'll ever start another game for the Rams . I watched the Seahawks and Cardinals game on nfl replay and he looked pretty sharp , but we all know what happened after that . He has to be better than what he looked like last year and I can't get excited about Keenum as a starter .

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
He's Ancient History around Here! He's Dead and gone and don't know it!

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Future Home of Nick Foles:
NSU-Miami-Dolphins-Training-Facility.jpg

Alaskan Ram

Last Frontier Member
DID FOLES THROW THE SEASON?!? WAS HE ASKED TO? GODDAMN IT.!!!!!! SON OF A !#%^!#$^!@#$!@#$!@#$%.
How can someone go from not to shabby to total complete horseshit?
Was the fix in? I'm locality neutral, but holy jumping conspiracies on a pogo stick, I can't explain it.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Lets all hop in our deloreans shall well.
At Fishers presser after the 1st night of the draft he's asked why the Rams didn't trade up for a QB.
Fisher: We didn't feel the need to bring in a new Quarterback. We really like Nick, he's progressing and looking good in the offseason workouts. Nick is going to battle for the starting job with Case so we feel we have it covered.

pmil66

Starter
Name
pmil
One way Foles could come back. Lets say the rams target Lynch at 15 and Cook at 43. Both are gone. Draft a project QB say in round 6, for the practice squad and bring back Foles to compete with Keenum and Mannion for the starters job. Maybe one of the new coaches on O can find something with him.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
I know system is important for any position but especially QB. Clearly the Chip Kelly system favoured Foles in Philly.

However, irrespective of system, any QB needs to be able to throw a catchable pass to their receivers. Foles, at times, looked like he wasn't capable of throwing even a barely accurate pass. I don't understand how something as fundamental as that, which is not dependant on the system, could have disappeared from his game in such a short amount of time.

Best thing for both parties is for him to go and get a fresh start elsewhere.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Foles looked like crap for Philly in 2014 - so this is two straight years of crappiness.

He may start another game in the league someday but it will be because his team's starter went down and they don't have a choice.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Foles looked like crap for Philly in 2014 - so this is two straight years of crappiness.

Looked like crap? He didn't look nearly as good as he did in 2013, but who could? In 13 games he completed 64% of his passes for almost 2900 yards with 27 TDs and 2 Ints for a 119.2 QBR, something which is certainly difficult to duplicate for anyone. For instance, Brady never came close to duplicating his 2007 season 50-8 TD performance did he? Foles was 8-2 in 2013 as a starter (plus led the Eagles from behind the game he replaced an injured Mike Vick). In 8 starts in 2014 (6-2) he had four 300 yard+ games, including a 411 yard game in a loss to Arizona. He didn't look as unflappable as he did in 2013 but if he played the way he played in 2014 for the Rams last year, we'd have probably won 10 or 11 games. But he didn't. Of course a difference in the type of offenses and philosophies might have played a roll in that as well as some issues along the offensive line. In the end Foles wasn't steady. I wouldn't write him off despite the praise heaped on Keenum or the prospects available in the draft. Get him a Deshawn or Maclin-type of WR.......hell get one of those regardless of who the QB is and it'll improve his performance and our chances.

Another thing. In the first 7 games of the season we had quite an inexperienced OL. GRob was playing LT instead of his 2014 position of LG. Havenstein and Brown were rookies. Saffold was injured in week 5 and Reynolds started at OG for 2 weeks so there was some continuity even if they were just hitting their stride as a unit. Then all hell broke loose. Havenstein missed game 8, 10 and 11 (Minn.,Balt., Cin.) and Brown was done in in week 9. So not only was Havenstein out for Balt & Cin but Wichmann got his first taste of the NFL in those games, as did Donnel (Balt) and Rainey (Cin) at OG. Then when Keenum was inserted as the starter (and rightfully so given Foles apparent skittishness), Havenstein came back to stay and Wichmann performed better at OG. We finished the last 5 games of the season with the same five starters. Might have had something to do with how good Keenum looked. Well that and the fact when he wasn't asked to pass the ball more than 23 times we won. We lost the two games he threw more than that. During that 4 game run with the OL in shuffling mode and the 1st game of Havenstein's return, Todd Gurley ran the ball 79 times for 260 yards (3.3 avg). He accumulated more than 66 yards in one game, when he had 89 in overtime against Minnesota.

QB is an issue but we must be careful judging performance without considering surround cast or other issues.

Last edited:

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Foles looked more confused out there than a busload of blind lesbians at an open air fish market. So yeah, I'd say he's done. Toast would be more like it.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Looked like crap? He didn't look nearly as good as he did in 2013, but who could? In 13 games he completed 64% of his passes for almost 2900 yards with 27 TDs and 2 Ints for a 119.2 QBR, something which is certainly difficult to duplicate for anyone. For instance, Brady never came close to duplicating his 2007 season 50-8 TD performance did he? Foles was 8-2 in 2013 as a starter (plus led the Eagles from behind the game he replaced an injured Mike Vick). In 8 starts in 2014 (6-2) he had four 300 yard+ games, including a 411 yard game in a loss to Arizona. He didn't look as unflappable as he did in 2013 but if he played the way he played in 2014 for the Rams last year, we'd have probably won 10 or 11 games. But he didn't. Of course a difference in the type of offenses and philosophies might have played a roll in that as well as some issues along the offensive line. In the end Foles wasn't steady. I wouldn't write him off despite the praise heaped on Keenum or the prospects available in the draft. Get him a Deshawn or Maclin-type of WR.......hell get one of those regardless of who the QB is and it'll improve his performance and our chances.

Another thing. In the first 7 games of the season we had quite an inexperienced OL. GRob was playing LT instead of his 2014 position of LG. Havenstein and Brown were rookies. Saffold was injured in week 5 and Reynolds started at OG for 2 weeks so there was some continuity even if they were just hitting their stride as a unit. Then all hell broke loose. Havenstein missed game 8, 10 and 11 (Minn.,Balt., Cin.) and Brown was done in in week 9. So not only was Havenstein out for Balt & Cin but Wichmann got his first taste of the NFL in those games, as did Donnel (Balt) and Rainey (Cin) at OG. Then when Keenum was inserted as the starter (and rightfully so given Foles apparent skittishness), Havenstein came back to stay and Wichmann performed better at OG. We finished the last 5 games of the season with the same five starters. Might have had something to do with how good Keenum looked. Well that and the fact when he wasn't asked to pass the ball more than 23 times we won. We lost the two games he threw more than that. During that 4 game run with the OL in shuffling mode and the 1st game of Havenstein's return, Todd Gurley ran the ball 79 times for 260 yards (3.3 avg). He accumulated more than 66 yards in one game, when he had 89 in overtime against Minnesota.

QB is an issue but we must be careful judging performance without considering surround cast or other issues.

Stats are one way to look at performance but I prefer the old eyeball test. In both 2014 and 2015, he made poor decisions - and wasn't able to recover when his first read wasn't there. His accuracy was craptastic. Sure, we can talk O Line and WR and it's not like the supporting cast doesn't matter - but the bottom line is Foles was just plain bad - and that makes 2 years in a row now. I'm not saying he was bad compared to 2013 - I'm saying he was bad compared to a run of the mill NFL QB. And I'm pretty sure he would tell you the same thing.

fearsomefour

Legend
DID FOLES THROW THE SEASON?!? WAS HE ASKED TO? GODDAMN IT.!!!!!! SON OF A !#%^!#$^!@#$!@#$!@#$%.
How can someone go from not to shabby to total complete horseshit?
Was the fix in? I'm locality neutral, but holy jumping conspiracies on a pogo stick, I can't explain it.
He was not good before....stats for one season aside.
The coaches/FO ignored obvious glaring holes in his game and paid for it.
Bad move.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
The answer is NO. Look at the contracts being handed out at QB due to it being so hard to find good ones.

I don't think Foles knew WTF he was doing in the Rams offense. He was basically like a rookie QB trying to learn a pro style offense because unlike Kelly the Rams staff was not simplifying his reads for him. So I don't consider him an option or anything but not gonna rule him out or declare his career over. I see him as a backup type right now who might be an average starter if he busts his butt which he probably will.