Is Fisher the answer?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Lunchbox

Starter
Name
LunchBox
I don't know if Fisher is the answer or not. I do know that last night's game was a big disappointment. As was the Dallas game and to a lesser extent the game in Atlanta.

I'm not an X and O guy or an expert on offensive line play. I can't suggest scheme changes or plays that will work with the personnel we have right now.

What I do know is that the roster turnover in two offseasons has been nothing short of remarkable. I know we have way more talent than we had at the end of 2011 when our roster was a wasteland of has beens and never was' and our team didn't believe in themselves or their coaches.

I know that with the influx of talent and the glowing reports coming out of training camp my expectations and optimism led me to believe that this team could contend for the playoffs as early as this season. Maybe I'm just guilty of wanting to have a winning team so bad that I overlook the remaining flaws or think that our team can overcome them.

I haven't agreed with every move or draft pick the coach and GM have made or with every coaching hire. I don't like or agree with all of the calls made by the coaches or officiating crews. I smack my forehead and yell when I see a player drop a pass, make a bonehead mistake or commit a drive-killing penalty.

What I saw last night was an Oline that produced no pocket to step up into. No passing lanes or creases to run through. I saw a defense that started the game strong but faded along with our hopes as the game went on and the niners racked up enough plays when they needed them to keep drives going. I saw a QB who couldn't step into his throws, who was under constant pressure and who tried to force something to happen when nothing was there.

I don't know if Fisher is the answer and I'm not going there until this season is done. I want to see how the team handles this stretch of adversity. I want to see how Fisher handles it.

We all knew going in there were still holes on the roster. I want to see what direction we go in free agency and the draft next year. Do we finally address the oline with some youth and talent? What about RB?

I expected some growing pains and bumps in the road. I think we all did. Why is it now that they're happening we're all so upset? Why are we talking about dumping the coach who gave us our expectations?

I agree with X's assertion in another thread that the problem we're having is based on execution. Whether it's because of youth, injuries, lack of depth or whatever. We're shooting ourselves in the foot with mistakes and penalties at crucial points in the games.

Some of you can clamor for change at the top. I'm not ready to do that. Despite what I've seen so far I'm going to believe that this team has a chance in every game until they're over and the season is done.

I'm going to believe there's a corner that can be turned when the youth begins to grow up and the number of miscues diminish. Good coaches and teams go through periods where nothing seems to go their way. The calls and the bounces are always to the other guys benefit. Times like this are not the time to turn your back, but the time to believe.

Come on Fisher. Prove me right!

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Lunchbox said:
I don't know if Fisher is the answer or not. I do know that last night's game was a big disappointment. As was the Dallas game and to a lesser extent the game in Atlanta.

I'm not an X and O guy or an expert on offensive line play. I can't suggest scheme changes or plays that will work with the personnel we have right now.

What I do know is that the roster turnover in two offseasons has been nothing short of remarkable. I know we have way more talent than we had at the end of 2011 when our roster was a wasteland of has beens and never was' and our team didn't believe in themselves or their coaches.

I know that with the influx of talent and the glowing reports coming out of training camp my expectations and optimism led me to believe that this team could contend for the playoffs as early as this season. Maybe I'm just guilty of wanting to have a winning team so bad that I overlook the remaining flaws or think that our team can overcome them.

I haven't agreed with every move or draft pick the coach and GM have made or with every coaching hire. I don't like or agree with all of the calls made by the coaches or officiating crews. I smack my forehead and yell when I see a player drop a pass, make a bonehead mistake or commit a drive-killing penalty.

What I saw last night was an Oline that produced no pocket to step up into. No passing lanes or creases to run through. I saw a defense that started the game strong but faded along with our hopes as the game went on and the niners racked up enough plays when they needed them to keep drives going. I saw a QB who couldn't step into his throws, who was under constant pressure and who tried to force something to happen when nothing was there.

I don't know if Fisher is the answer and I'm not going there until this season is done. I want to see how the team handles this stretch of adversity. I want to see how Fisher handles it.

We all knew going in there were still holes on the roster. I want to see what direction we go in free agency and the draft next year. Do we finally address the oline with some youth and talent? What about RB?

I expected some growing pains and bumps in the road. I think we all did. Why is it now that they're happening we're all so upset? Why are we talking about dumping the coach who gave us our expectations?

I agree with X's assertion in another thread that the problem we're having is based on execution. Whether it's because of youth, injuries, lack of depth or whatever. We're shooting ourselves in the foot with mistakes and penalties at crucial points in the games.

Some of you can clamor for change at the top. I'm not ready to do that. Despite what I've seen so far I'm going to believe that this team has a chance in every game until they're over and the season is done.

I'm going to believe there's a corner that can be turned when the youth begins to grow up and the number of miscues diminish. Good coaches and teams go through periods where nothing seems to go their way. The calls and the bounces are always to the other guys benefit. Times like this are not the time to turn your back, but the time to believe.

That's a hell of a post! Good job.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

iced

i don't wanna burn fisher yet cause of the d... i believe its really because of young safeties, however i think lovie smith would get more out of the d.

the offense is a different story - i think we have more talent but piss poor oline play and play calling.. i like jake long,and i think barksdale for the most part has been okay...not great,good, or outstanding, but okay.. the interior is what is severely lacking..additionally for the running game, i see a LOT of missed assignments on the parts of the guards, tight ends, and whoever is playing lead back..i also see bad vision from DR

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
iced said:
i don't wanna burn fisher yet cause of the d... i believe its really because of young safeties, however i think lovie smith would get more out of the d.

the offense is a different story - i think we have more talent but piss poor oline play and play calling.. i like jake long,and i think barksdale for the most part has been okay...not great,good, or outstanding, but okay.. the interior is what is severely lacking..additionally for the running game, i see a LOT of missed assignments on the parts of the guards, tight ends, and whoever is playing lead back..i also see bad vision from DR
Agreed but have to Say poor vision is an understatement maybe DRich needs glasses

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Well, we're all very upset & I did not agree with firing Gregg Williams & his son Blake and in fact, thought Blake did one heck of a job last season. Never was a fan of Schottenheimer, but the Rams are paying Fisher 7 mil a year and he has won in the NFL so I'm willing to give it more time.

Just seems the Rams defense is very bad to this point and playing far too soft & the offense which seems to thrive in the no huddle offense is being held back IMO. You never know with Head Coaches anymore, however, at this point it's hard to watch my beloved team and it's killing me.

It will be difficult for the Rams to go in another direction because the only area left is a college Head Coach. They tried to hire an offensive coordinator in Scott Linehan a defensive coordinator in Steve Spagnuolo and a former NFL Head Coach too. So what's next?

Let's see how it plays out, but IMO next year there will be many changes on the staff before another Head Coach is brought in unless Fisher decides to take the job at USC.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
den-the-coach said:
Well, we're all very upset & I did not agree with firing Gregg Williams & his son Blake and in fact, thought Blake did one heck of a job last season. Never was a fan of Schottenheimer, but the Rams are paying Fisher 7 mil a year and he has won in the NFL so I'm willing to give it more time.

Just seems the Rams defense is very bad to this point and playing far too soft & the offense which seems to thrive in the no huddle offense is being held back IMO. You never know with Head Coaches anymore, however, at this point it's hard to watch my beloved team and it's killing me.

It will be difficult for the Rams to go in another direction because the only area left is a college Head Coach. They tried to hire an offensive coordinator in Scott Linehan a defensive coordinator in Steve Spagnuolo and a former NFL Head Coach too. So what's next?

Let's see how it plays out, but IMO next year there will be many changes on the staff before another Head Coach is brought in unless Fisher decides to take the job at USC.
Agree across the board. No matter what happens this year, Fisher needs the full length of his contract if we expect his and Snead's vision to fully materialize. They're at least sticking to their principles with regard to team building. Youth, playmaking ability, and freak athleticism. I agree with den in that the assistants will fall WAY before Fisher does. I have to wonder if Snead will assert himself as GM and dictate how this team should progress. That's really the most intriguing thing on my mind at this point.

Lunchbox

Starter
Name
LunchBox
CGI_Ram said:
Lunchbox said:

That's a hell of a post! Good job.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks CGI.

Maybe I'm just burying my head in the sand but I don't think so.

You don't take a team whose record of futility in player acquisition and on the field spanned the last decade and resurrect it overnight.

This was never a one or two year rebuild. Changing horses in the middle of the stream as a knee-jerk reaction when things are going south is what perennial losing franchises do. I want no part of that.

This long-suffering fan-base deserves better than what we've had and there are signs pointing in the right direction. It reminds me of what happened with the niners when they were stockpiling talent during some really tough times but the pieces didn't seem to mesh until last year.

I don't want this team to throw away the positive steps we've taken to this point in order to take a chance that someone else might be better. Now more than ever Fisher's steady hand is what this team needs to push through the losing and continue rebuilding the team until it can meet our hopes and expectations and their own.

V3

Hall of Fame
X said:
den-the-coach said:

Agree across the board. No matter what happens this year, Fisher needs the full length of his contract if we expect his and Snead's vision to fully materialize. They're at least sticking to their principles with regard to team building. Youth, playmaking ability, and freak athleticism. I agree with den in that the assistants will fall WAY before Fisher does. I have to wonder if Snead will assert himself as GM and dictate how this team should progress. That's really the most intriguing thing on my mind at this point.

Isn't Fisher's contract 5 years long? You don't need 5 years to know if he's the right guy or not. Sometimes you don't even need 3. Right now I'm willing to give him 3 years unless this team just completely falls apart, in which case I'm not putting up with it anymore. You can't let someone that doesn't know what they're doing continue to destroy the team. He will never admit Bradford is the wrong guy so he'd continue to pass on QB's which would furter set back the franchise. I'm letting the season play out and making my decision then.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
This is the biggest rebuild in the HISTORY of this league.

Read that a few times and think about the magnitude of it.

No team EVER lost as much as the Rams did in that 5 year span. And listen to some of you guys one quarter of the way through just the second season you're whining like mad and saying that you don't think Fisher is capable of turning it around.

Think about this for a moment. Recap what this ball club has endured in the last several years.

One of the worst owners in the NFL, followed by her inept son, managed by an attorney and an accountant who lacked any significant ability to judge talent in the FO or on the field, coached by an egomaniac, then a weakling then a moron as the franchise crumbles to the ground and loses respect all around the NFL.

This was THE WORST EVER football team guys.....if you think this team was going to really make noise this year you were drinking something a lot stronger than kool aid. It's amazing how fast some of you have "jumped ship" because the youngest least experienced team in the NFL had a few bad games against much better competition.

I've been saying this for a little while and now I think some of you are seeing it. This wasn't ever going to be a play off team, they are kids learning their way. The O is going to take time to gel and might not be what people have hoped for either. Some posters across the internet actually thought this O was going to rival the GSOT for fucks sake. Seriously? How did those expectations come about?

ITS BEEN FOUR GAMES. Yes they have played like crap. Chill out and let the season unfold. This rebuild is going to take at least one more year and I recall a couple of posters on the now defunct Huddle saying it could take 4 years. Too many of you are losing sight of how big this job is and IMO if/when Fisher and Snead complete it they will be considered up there with the likes of Parcells and guys like that when it comes to team building. They will be able to write their own ticket.

That's how bad our favorite team was. I don't like saying it because it sucks but the fact is this franchise was historically awful and it won't turn around in just 2 years.

OK lecture over.....bash away.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
LesBaker said:

No team EVER lost as much as the Rams did in that 5 year span. And listen to some of you guys one quarter of the way through just the second season you're whining like mad and saying that you don't think Fisher is capable of turning it around.

Think about this for a moment. Recap what this ball club has endured in the last several years.

One of the worst owners in the NFL, followed by her inept son, managed by an attorney and an accountant who lacked any significant ability to judge talent in the FO or on the field, coached by an egomaniac, then a weakling then a moron as the franchise crumbles to the ground and loses respect all around the NFL.

This was THE WORST EVER football team guys.....if you think this team was going to really make noise this year you were drinking something a lot stronger than kool aid. It's amazing how fast some of you have "jumped ship" because the youngest least experienced team in the NFL had a few bad games against much better competition.

I've been saying this for a little while and now I think some of you are seeing it. This wasn't ever going to be a play off team, they are kids learning their way. The O is going to take time to gel and might not be what people have hoped for either. Some posters across the internet actually thought this O was going to rival the GSOT for freaks sake. Seriously? How did those expectations come about?

ITS BEEN FOUR GAMES. Yes they have played like crap. Chill out and let the season unfold. This rebuild is going to take at least one more year and I recall a couple of posters on the now defunct Huddle saying it could take 4 years. Too many of you are losing sight of how big this job is and IMO if/when Fisher and Snead complete it they will be considered up there with the likes of Parcells and guys like that when it comes to team building. They will be able to write their own ticket.

That's how bad our favorite team was. I don't like saying it because it sucks but the fact is this franchise was historically awful and it won't turn around in just 2 years.

Totally agree! Expectations of playoffs as well as immediately turning this team around just seemed lofty to me.

Yes other teams have done it BUT those teams weren't as screwed up as this one at all turns talent coaching fo this team was a disaster.

This is an unprecedented rebuild and deserves a lil patients. Yea we dropped a turd against some very veteran teams. But I still believe we are making strides.

You have to walk before you can run and before fisher and Co this team was barley crawling.

Y'all can disagree I am fine with that. X you can save this if ya want and after fish's 4th year bring it back and if I'm wrong I'll eat crow.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Rabid Ram said:
LesBaker said:

I've been saying this for a little while and now I think some of you are seeing it. This wasn't ever going to be a play off team, they are kids learning their way. The O is going to take time to gel and might not be what people have hoped for either. Some posters across the internet actually thought this O was going to rival the GSOT for freaks sake. Seriously? How did those expectations come about?

Totally agree! Expectations of playoffs as well as immediately turning this team around just seemed lofty to me.

Yes other teams have done it BUT those teams weren't as screwed up as this one at all turns talent coaching fo this team was a disaster.

This is an unprecedented rebuild and deserves a lil patients. Yea we dropped a turd against some very veteran teams. But I still believe we are making strides.

You have to walk before you can run and before fisher and Co this team was barley crawling.

Y'all can disagree I am fine with that. X you can save this if ya want and after fish's 4th year bring it back and if I'm wrong I'll eat crow.

I appreciate these perspectives. They ARE valid.

But I don't have a problem with higher expectations either. I get both sides of the argument.

I come back to: Indy, Miami, and KC...

Pretty quick rebuilds.

One could argue Miami doesn't belong on this list... But both KC and Indy have come back from 2-14 seasons.

I just don't like making excuses for the Rams. Our expectations should be higher.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
CGI_Ram said:
Rabid Ram said:
LesBaker said:

I appreciate these perspectives. They ARE valid.

But I don't have a problem with higher expectations either. I get both sides of the argument.

I come back to: Indy, Miami, and KC...

Pretty quick rebuilds.

One could argue Miami doesn't belong on this list... But both KC and Indy have come back from 2-14 seasons.

I just don't like making excuses for the Rams. Our expectations should be higher.
Indy and kc both had better core to start with not only I NC the fo but talent wise.

Miami just threw a bunch of money at the problem and we are yet to see them play an actual tough team to see how that shakes out.

This regime not only had to fix the talent level left behind by bad staffing of the past but had to fix that staffing as well.

I agree higher expectations are good but I think some are rather lofty.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Rabid Ram said:
I agree higher expectations are good but I think some are rather lofty.

Fair enough. Guilty as charged! :sly:

ramfaninfla

nothin' left to do but SMILE, SMILE, SMILE!!!
I will stick with Fisher. I feel he can and will turn it around. I just hope(I'm sure he has) Snead calls him into the office for a nice(uncomfortable) conversation. Just a 1 on 1. Snead....Jeff tell me how and when I(and the fans of the Rams) can expect some better results coming from this team? What is YOUR plan with the OC/DC of OUR team. I do not like the way things have been going. I know we have discussed OUR plan for the 2013 season in the off season. But clearly things (for whatever reason) are not working. You are my leader of OUR team and I am expecting better results going forward. I will not tell you what to do( IE: I want to run ball/up tempo "O"/more blitz's/tighter coverage ect...). I expect YOU to handle it. YOU are MY coach, so lets right this ship. I have full confidence in you to make this happen. 2 quotes come to mind. Identify your problems but give your power and energy to solutions(Tony Robbins), Rough waters are truer tests of leadership, In calm water every ship has a good captain( Swedish Proverb) Thank you for your time and now go grab YOUR/OUR coaching staff and lets get started getting this fixed.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
But CGI this is a way bigger rebuild than any of those. This is monumental, there hasn't been anything like it. If they are 9-7 and miss the playoffs next year I won't be shocked because this is that big of a job. I suspect that part of the reason SK went and got Fisher is because not many guys have the stomach for the painful process of this type of a rebuild and he went through a major, major one in TN and a couple of smaller ones too with a crappy owner.

I think SK knew he needed a guy with some patience who had been down this road more than once and wouldn't waver from the plan based on what the fans and media were saying.

I can bet you money he'd love to let Bernie have it after what he said but he'll rub his nose in it further down the road.

Anyway.....KC's problem was Crennel. That dude is a straight out buffoon.

Gregz29

UDFA
I am willing to give Fish some time. But what is concerning to me is the dropoff in level of play from last year. While I wasn't expecting a long playoff run I was anticipating a winning record and being competitive in every game.

V3

Hall of Fame
LesBaker said:

I never thought this team was going to the playoffs this year. I expected this team to be a better team but have about the same record due to the tough division. The thing is, this team is way worse than last year. How can you call that progress? Every aspect of this team is worse. Is it so wrong to expect small improvements with each passing year? We're going the wrong way. That's worthy of being concerned about.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
V3 said:
X said:
den-the-coach said:

Isn't Fisher's contract 5 years long? You don't need 5 years to know if he's the right guy or not. Sometimes you don't even need 3. Right now I'm willing to give him 3 years unless this team just completely falls apart, in which case I'm not putting up with it anymore. You can't let someone that doesn't know what they're doing continue to destroy the team. He will never admit Bradford is the wrong guy so he'd continue to pass on QB's which would furter set back the franchise. I'm letting the season play out and making my decision then.
There are a lot of suppositions there, V. Unless I'm reading you wrong, you're saying he doesn't know what he's doing and is being purposefully deceptive regarding Bradford. If that's the case, then I guess I have a couple of questions.

1. How did he last in the league 17 years if he doesn't know what he's doing?
2. Why would he want his legacy destroyed by being stubborn about one player (Bradford)?

I see it differently. I think (like others have stated) that this is a reclaim project. There's been a ton of turnover the past 2 years, and getting them all acclimated with the schemes and playing at a high level *together* isn't happening as fast as people would like. Presumably because other teams have added a few new pieces, or changed some coaches, and they have been successful. But really, how many have done both to this extreme?

Not to be lazy or anything (e.g., not doing it for you), but you should really look into what happened to Fisher in 2004, 2005. I've dug up archived newspaper articles online via Google News, and read everything pertaining to why he went a combined 9-23 in that two year span. I wanted to know, to satisfy my own curiosity, why the Rams should bank on a guy who had that kind of failure. Well, I now know why his teams failed, and I know why they were successful prior to that and afterward. There are parallels to what's going on here now, so I'm not even remotely close to cutting his time here short. But that's just me. I'm not suggesting you shouldn't feel the way you do. I'm only suggesting that maybe you should see if there are identifiable trends in his coaching career, and what happened to change his fortunes.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
This team got shellacked last year several times too. It's going to happen again this year and likely a couple of times next year.

Remember the Patriots, Vikings, Packers and Bears games last year?

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
X said:
Not to be lazy or anything (e.g., not doing it for you), but you should really look into what happened to Fisher in 2004, 2005. I've dug up archived newspaper articles online via Google News, and read everything pertaining to why he went a combined 9-23 in that two year span. I wanted to know, to satisfy my own curiosity, why the Rams should bank on a guy who had that kind of failure. Well, I now know why his teams failed, and I know why they were successful prior to that and afterward. There are parallels to what's going on here now, so I'm not even remotely close to cutting his time here short. But that's just me. I'm not suggesting you shouldn't feel the way you do. I'm only suggesting that maybe you should see if there are identifiable trends in his coaching career, and what happened to change his fortunes.

Like I said that's exactly why SK got Fisher. He knew what it was going to be like even more than fans since he was of course on the inside and we are not.

He knows what Fisher did with an aging, senile, lousy, cheap and meddling owner and I'm sure he figured Fisher would do even better in STL with a good owner and FO.

Or.......fire Fisher and Snead and cut Bradford. :omg: