Is DT A'Shawn Robinson a future chess piece for the Rams?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Where do you guys see a year beyond 2022? Unless I am missing it, this says UFA 2023.

It looks like he may have signed an extension that included a void year (2023), either way he's a UFA after '22
1648475098879.png

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Either way this is not a guy you lock up early.. This is a guy you let play out his contract.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
He is a devastating first two down guy. Can he be a three down guy? They preferred Gaines over him whenever it was a pass down.. so, I think they'd pay Gaines next and have Brown roll into that spot..and draft another bigger DT next year.
They've been willing to pay decent for one guy next to Donald on the interior.. I'm not sure they'll pay two.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Do you feel the same way about Gaines, ... also eligible for free agency next year ?
Good point. Signs Gaines.. he is younger. Let Ashawn leave after next year and hope he brings a nice 4th rd comp pick. I know that sucks but you cant sign everyone.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Good point. Signs Gaines.. he is younger. Let Ashawn leave after next year and hope he brings a nice 4th rd comp pick. I know that sucks but you cant sign everyone.

I'd rather extend both Robinson AND Gaines now than worry over signing either of Mathieu and/or Gilmore. jmo.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Do you feel the same way about Gaines, ... also eligible for free agency next year ?
No but I'm not in a hurry to sign him either. Those types you sign when their contract ends vice trying to lock them up early. Robinson continues what he's been doing this year then maybe my opinion will change on him too btw. But I want to see some consistency over time from him playing at that level given how his career has gone thus far. Hopefully the change in diet and lifestyle will lead to him kicking ass.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The guy we saw last season was the guy Snead was hoping to sign. But look how many seasons it took him to get back to that level of play (which he showed prior for one season). Also he is under contract for the next two seasons looking at sportrac.

So obviously there is no reason to try to pay him early. Let him play out his current contract. Rams have been burned a couple times in locking guys up early, and this is not the guy to do that with.
cheap bastid....

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I love A'Shawn, but honestly, I see him as our most valuable trade chip. We already have Gaines, Bobby Brown III, and Earnest Brown IV, along with Copeland, Jonah Williams, and Hoecht, along with a potential draft pick/UDFA surprise.

Robinson, I feel, could easily return a third.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I love A'Shawn, but honestly, I see him as our most valuable trade chip. We already have Gaines, Bobby Brown III, and Earnest Brown IV, along with Copeland, Jonah Williams, and Hoecht, along with a potential draft pick/UDFA surprise.

I agree, Memento.

If ARob’s play in ‘22 looks anything like his play in the playoff run then I have no doubt that he will get a huge contract and fetch the Rams a 3rd.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River

While this is as possible as some other scenarios I've heard, ... I hate it.

Robinson & Gaines are our two best interior defensive linemen, and coupling them with the newly acquired Wagner is going to wreak havoc on opposing team's interior rush game. We just lost SJD to free agency and the hope is that Bobby Brown will take on a greater rotational role in 2022. Williams & Hoecht are jags and may not even make the 2022 roster while Earnest Brown IV was our only draft pick from last season to not progress from the practice squad to the 53 roster. Copeland is a decent rotational player that can move around the line, and while he's a keeper imo, he doesn't offer much of a pass rush. For a team looking to repeat, the fall-off from losing Robinson and having to rely on the early developmental stages of Bobby Brown may be too much to bear.

Honestly, if I'm seeking a potential 3'rd round trade option, I'd probably be looking more towards Havenstein, another who may become eligible for free agency following the current season. My reasoning is that depth, even with the Whitworth retirement, may be stronger at OT than at our DT positions. Alaric Jackson, Edwards, Evans, Pircher, and even the young Adrian Ealy might compete for RT, although again, we don't really know if any of them are starting material for 2022. I also suspect that the Rams may again draft another college OT who could become a better fit at OG.

Either scenario, DT or RT, doesn't appear all that appealing when it comes to losing a proven player, and age, future salary and ability must all be measured properly, but whether we trade them now for something or lose them to free agency next season for a 2024 compensatory pick, McSnead knows best ...

Still, Robinson is only 27 y.o. and looks to have a great future ahead of him.
jmo.