Is DT A'Shawn Robinson a future chess piece for the Rams?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
How important is rotational (DT) A'Shawn Robinson in the mind of the Rams brass?

9:06 PM · Mar 18, 2020

The #Rams are signing former #Lions DT A’Shawn Robinson to a two-year, $17 million deal, his agent, Sean Kiernan of
@RapSheet

A'Shawn will be an unrestricted free agent after the 2022 season.

Is he worth investing beyond the 2022 season?

He's not a 3 down defensive lineman but he sure stepped up his game as a Ram in 2021.

He changed his diet and said he took his worth ethic to another level after Covid issues plagued him in 2020.

I was all smiles when A'Shawn was the lone player to give Sean McVay a Gatorade bath seconds after their Super Bowl LVI victory.

Robinson is still on the young side of 30, and I would be happy if the Rams discreetly offered him a contract extension this year.

A'Shawn Robinson
Born March 21, 1995 (age 27)
Drafted 46th overall pick by the Detroit Lions in the 2016 NFL Draft.

Cap hit for 2022
$9,500,000

6ac603ef8f48480db9f82e4633ad2fb6.jpg

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
Agreed, he was excellent against the run. Would be awesome if they could give A'shawn and Gaines an extension

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
He definitely paid off at the right time. Hope he's ready to have another season like that. :trophy:

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
A'Shawn is literally a "championship caliber" run stuffer.
Hell yeah I want him under contract for the next couple years!

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
Can't they extend him now and also knock the cap hit down significantly? He is another one that Id be ok with kicking the can or outright extending him because of his age. If in his 30s no but I'd definitely extend him now. Gaines also and not for cap reasons before he gets to expensive he may want security and also young.

Ram65

Legend
Agreed, he was excellent against the run. Would be awesome if they could give A'shawn and Gaines an extension

I mentioned it in one of my posts somewhere was too lazy to start a thread.

Yes. why not get them both resigned before they become more expensive as free agents next year?

The Rams have a lot going on behind the scenes.

Rams4life

Rookie
Name
Bud
They must have extended him already. They said he signed a 2 year deal in 2020. Sports Trac has him as signed through this year with a team option next year.

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame
A'Shawn Is a WALL. And he showed up big time in the playoffs.
He in my opinion was a severely unsung hero in the road to the SB.
As far as dollar amount value.... I am not educated enough to say
what he is worth.
But I will say this I want this MFer Wearing The Horns!!!

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
A'Shawn Is a WALL. And he showed up big time in the playoffs.
He in my opinion was a severely unsung hero in the road to the SB.
As far as dollar amount value.... I am not educated enough to say
what he is worth.
But I will say this I want this MFer Wearing The Horns!!!
In the super bowl, Collinsworth was saying, I don't know why you'd try to run when #94 is in there.

sloramfan

Starter
in the SB, on the play before the last one for cincy.. i believe a'shawn was the actual tackler under the running back, where donald reach his arm in and helped for no gain...

go a'shawn...

go rams

slo

oldnotdead

Legend
IMO A'Shawn needs to show he can be the man during the regular season. He was inconsistent during the regular season. Yes, he was money in the playoffs, but he needs to play that way all season.

IMO they need to see Bobby Brown because he's the heir apparent to Robinson's snaps. If Bobby shows he can play as that run stuffer that he was in college, then Robinson will be a comp pick waiting to happen. Personally, I think Bobby is more likely to be a hit more than a miss in terms of a draft pick. He's had a year to develop and improve his hand technique and more importantly his footwork which wasn't good and dropped him in the draft. If he has he could be a steal at pick 117.

I think the plan originally was to have Gaines at 3T when AD retires, and Brown at 1T. But with AD potentially leaving sooner rather than later, they need for Brown to step up now. I think Robinson has always been viewed as a bridge type of player and I think he's still viewed that way which is why he hasn't been extended to clear cap space.

CanadaRam

No guts, No glory.
Name
Andrew
in the SB, on the play before the last one for cincy.. i believe a'shawn was the actual tackler under the running back, where donald reach his arm in and helped for no gain...

go a'shawn...

go rams

slo
Thought it was Gaines, but my memory is foggy at times

ArkyRamsFan

Pro Bowler
Brian Baldinger did a vid highlighting the play of A'Shawn in the Whiner game. As Baldy showed time and again Robinson was totally dominating and refused to be blocked.
If he can stay healthy and remain productive like that he has a place on this man's football team.

~ArkyRamsFan~

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
They must have extended him already. They said he signed a 2 year deal in 2020. Sports Trac has him as signed through this year with a team option next year.
They did in 2020 due to the covid stuff. He had a health issue and didn't play for half the year but didn't want to opt out. They made a deal and extended him and kept him on the roster.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
The guy we saw last season was the guy Snead was hoping to sign. But look how many seasons it took him to get back to that level of play (which he showed prior for one season). Also he is under contract for the next two seasons looking at sportrac.

So obviously there is no reason to try to pay him early. Let him play out his current contract. Rams have been burned a couple times in locking guys up early, and this is not the guy to do that with.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

The guy we saw last season was the guy Snead was hoping to sign. But look how many seasons it took him to get back to that level of play (which he showed prior for one season). Also he is under contract for the next two seasons looking at sportrac.

So obviously there is no reason to try to pay him early. Let him play out his current contract. Rams have been burned a couple times in locking guys up early, and this is not the guy to do that with.

Where do you guys see a year beyond 2022? Unless I am missing it, this says UFA 2023.