Is DT A'Shawn Robinson a future chess piece for the Rams?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Billy Baroo

How about a Fresca?
I love A'Shawn, but honestly, I see him as our most valuable trade chip. We already have Gaines, Bobby Brown III, and Earnest Brown IV, along with Copeland, Jonah Williams, and Hoecht, along with a potential draft pick/UDFA surprise.

Robinson, I feel, could easily return a third.
No one there besides Gaines has proven shit. No need to trade Robinson and highly doubt he brings back a third either.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
No but I'm not in a hurry to sign him either. Those types you sign when their contract ends vice trying to lock them up early. Robinson continues what he's been doing this year then maybe my opinion will change on him too btw. But I want to see some consistency over time from him playing at that level given how his career has gone thus far. Hopefully the change in diet and lifestyle will lead to him kicking ass.
This year will be a great test for him and an opportunity for the Rams to evaluate him.

So now, after the SB and his success, does he come back more motivated than ever to take that next step to being a complete and great player? Or does he slack off, pick up bad weight, and generally slip back a few steps from what he was last yr?

In other words does he come back fat & happy or motivated as hell?

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
This year will be a great test for him and an opportunity for the Rams to evaluate him.

So now, after the SB and his success, does he come back more motivated than ever to take that next step to being a complete and great player? Or does he slack off, pick up bad weight, and generally slip back a few steps from what he was last yr?

He is going to be a leader. He sort of took to what Brockers role was.Gaines is right there as well.

The Brown Bro’s are going to make some noise.A player that will push them all is Hoecht.He really works hard.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

How does A” Robinson do anything different than what is making him successful. He committed himself to change.He saw what it took to ascend & be one of the better DT in The NFL.

Mcvay holds players accountable,also give them the tools to succeed.The mentoring is huge.If he didn’t notice what Von Miller made,then whatever AD99 makes will be open his eyes.
Like I’ve said though watch out for The Brown Bro’s.

Eric Henderson is one of the best DL coaches in The NFL. He gets the most out of his players.They are really a solid group of players.

With Bobby Wagner playing MLB that is going to make a big difference.It would be silly to trade A” Robinson just for the reason he should bring a 3rd Comp pick come 202(3)4.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
How does A” Robinson do anything different than what is making him successful. He committed himself to change.He saw what it took to ascend & be one of the better DT in The NFL.

Mcvay holds players accountable,also give them the tools to succeed.The mentoring is huge.If he didn’t notice what Von Miller made,then whatever AD99 makes will be open his eyes.
Like I’ve said though watch out for The Brown Bro’s.

Eric Henderson is one of the best DL coaches in The NFL. He gets the most out of his players.They are really a solid group of players.

With Bobby Wagner playing MLB that is going to make a big difference.It would be silly to trade A” Robinson just for the reason he should bring a 3rd Comp pick come 202(3)4.
I didn't say trade him. Just saying this will be a good test to see if he turned the corner completely from being an underachiever to a guy where he now knows what he needs to do and now does it religiously.

I also agree on Bobby Brown. Hoping he really steps up and becomes a monster inside, to give AD an inside pass rush partner and a guy who can give him a break. Can't have AD playing 90% of the snaps every year.

Not so sure about Earnest Brown, but fingers crossed.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I didn't say trade him. Just saying this will be a good test to see if he turned the corner completely from being an underachiever to a guy where he now knows what he needs to do and now does it religiously.

I also agree on Bobby Brown. Hoping he really steps up and becomes a monster inside, to give AD an inside pass rush partner and a guy who can give him a break. Can't have AD playing 90% of the snaps every year.

Not so sure about Earnest Brown, but fingers crossed.

I think Earnest Brown is going to be that DE/DT guy.He still real young.Bobby Brown though is the youngest Ram.

I like the rotation.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I think Earnest Brown is going to be that DE/DT guy.He still real young.Bobby Brown though is the youngest Ram.

I like the rotation.
From the limited amount of info seen/reported last during TC & preseason...... it appears like the Ram 2021 drafted DL'er Ernest Brown prospectively fits into the 5 tech DE backup role this 2022 season. EB will never be a pass-rushing edge or OLB'er. He is a DL'er who needs to get bigger & strong to make this DL unit this season.

I would prefer the Rams sign pass rushing DE Morgan Fox instead.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
From the limited amount of info seen/reported last during TC & preseason...... it appears like the Ram 2021 drafted DL'er Ernest Brown prospectively fits into the 5 tech DE backup role this 2022 season. EB will never be a pass-rushing edge or OLB'er. He is a DL'er who needs to get bigger & strong to make this DL unit this season.

I would prefer the Rams sign pass rushing DE Morgan Fox instead.

Not me,I liked EB’s upside as a DE.He is still real young.I’ve been watching him a little & consider the way he seems like a sponge.Willing to stay engaged with the process of developing.He might not have the speed & get off just yet.
I guess my post was about EB being like a M. Brockers type of player.We’ll see how things playout,but he is signed & to make the team through Training camp.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Not me,I liked EB’s upside as a DE.He is still real young.I’ve been watching him a little & consider the way he seems like a sponge.Willing to stay engaged with the process of developing.He might not have the speed & get off just yet.
I guess my post was about EB being like a M. Brockers type of player.We’ll see how things playout,but he is signed & to make the team through Training camp.
In the 2021 season the 5 tech post was primarily assigned to Robinson & even SJ-D got in a number of snaps there too. Later with the injury to SJ-D that backup to Robinson (5 tech) ended up being mainly Copeland. Micheal Hoecht got in a small bit more snaps than Copeland but filled in behind AD & played the RDT post in many 4 DL's with the two outside DL posts being filled by OLB'ers.

I am surprised that you believe that EB can be the much-needed pass-rushing DL'er. I have never seen any of that in him nor have I read anything like that in any of the 2021 draft prospects profiles on him. Hoecht does have the natural speed & quickness even for his size.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
In the 2021 season the 5 tech post was primarily assigned to Robinson & even SJ-D got in a number of snaps there too. Later with the injury to SJ-D that backup to Robinson (5 tech) ended up being mainly Copeland. Micheal Hoecht got in a small bit more snaps than Copeland but filled in behind AD & played the RDT post in many 4 DL's with the two outside DL posts being filled by OLB'ers.

I am surprised that you believe that EB can be the much-needed pass-rushing DL'er. I have never seen any of that in him nor have I read anything like that in any of the 2021 draft prospects profiles on him. Hoecht does have the natural speed & quickness even for his size.

EB was there for the taking which makes every team in The NFL not believing or seeing it either.I’m just high on young talent.I like ie what he brings as a young player.
I know your not a Evans fan,Edwards was another player as well who was a late rd. pick who had an extra year of eligibility.This is why I think these late draft picks work. They get a season learning behind NFL players every day.Then in the off-season they are already dialed into the teams scheme.
Anyway, I won’t get to into it right now.Respect your vision & I think a little outside the box.Won’t say I’m right all the time.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
No one there besides Gaines has proven shit. No need to trade Robinson and highly doubt he brings back a third either.

A twenty-six-year-old defensive lineman with his ability? Yeah, he definitely brings back a late third to a contending team like the Ravens, for example. And SJD and Gaines, in their first two years, hadn't proven shit either. We know how to draft defensive linemen, and there's always the possibility of getting one in free agency like Akiem Hicks, whom Allen Robinson has been recruiting to come here.

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame
No but I'm not in a hurry to sign him either. Those types you sign when their contract ends vice trying to lock them up early. Robinson continues what he's been doing this year then maybe my opinion will change on him too btw. But I want to see some consistency over time from him playing at that level given how his career has gone thus far. Hopefully the change in diet and lifestyle will lead to him kicking ass.
I could be wrong but, when we signed Robinson I think he had a rep as not being a self motivator at times.
Is that part of the reason for your statement in your previous post? I could be dead wrong with my old ass memory

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I could be wrong but, when we signed Robinson I think he had a rep as not being a self motivator at times.
Is that part of the reason for your statement in your previous post? I could be dead wrong with my old ass memory
Not sure but would not surprise me. I refer mainly to him playing the way he just did back in like 2018 or so. He had a really good year then put his feet up it seemed and I think that coincided with being paid but memory is shaky.

Either way I was very happy to eat that crow on him. Felt great to see him play like he did, the guy was a beast on that DL and if it continues we're gonna be tough.