iOS7 unveiled

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Oh boy I better not EVER hear a spokeperson for Apple claim that everyone rips off their innovations.

They mimicked Jelly Bean so bad it isn't funny. Now I will say the new interface is very much better looking than their old, and they did jazz up some of the features they are copying off Android, but some is such a blatant ripoff they should be a little red faced. They could have called this new version iBean.

That won't stop iphone users from acting like Apple invented every single one of those features though LOL. But it is always fun when an iphone user says "look my phone does......" and you can say back "my last 2 phones could do that".

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
android-eats-apple-nomnom.png

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
Jony Ive is one of the premier designers in the world so I was pretty excited to see what he would do in his first endever into the software realm. There are a few great innovations in iOS 7, but Im not a fan of the design. For the most part, it's just bad design. He should stick to physical goods( the new Mac Pro is great looking, as is just about every other product)

I have had a jailbroken iPhone 4s for the past few months and it is a major upgrade on the existing iOS platform. I was hoping to see many of the Cydia App functions integrated into iOS 7, but they aren't. Unless the iPhone 5s blows me away, I'll likely switch phones in the near future. I'll likely go to Windows Phone. Im a sucker for good design and that OS and it's apps have it. Not a fan of Android.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
libertadrocks said:
Jony Ive is one of the premier designers in the world so I was pretty excited to see what he would do in his first endever into the software realm. There are a few great innovations in iOS 7, but Im not a fan of the design. For the most part, it's just bad design. He should stick to physical goods( the new Mac Pro is great looking, as is just about every other product)

I have had a jailbroken iPhone 4s for the past few months and it is a major upgrade on the existing iOS platform. I was hoping to see many of the Cydia App functions integrated into iOS 7, but they aren't. Unless the iPhone 5s blows me away, I'll likely switch phones in the near future. I'll likely go to Windows Phone. Im a sucker for good design and that OS and it's apps have it. Not a fan of Android.

Yeah - I liked the droid when I got my first one. Not sure if it was just a better phone made by HTC as my current one is a Razr Maxx and a real POS. My HTC did virtually everything I thought it should, was set up pretty intuitively, and was glitch free.

Now my son has an HTC Windows phone and he really loves it. He says there aren't as many apps for it but I use all of about 5 apps on my phone anyway.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
RamFan503 said:
libertadrocks said:

Yeah - I liked the droid when I got my first one. Not sure if it was just a better phone made by HTC as my current one is a Razr Maxx and a real POS. My HTC did virtually everything I thought it should, was set up pretty intuitively, and was glitch free.

Now my son has an HTC Windows phone and he really loves it. He says there aren't as many apps for it but I use all of about 5 apps on my phone anyway.

I just got rid of the Maxx for the Galaxy S3. Big difference for sure. Other than battery life there wasn't a lot about it I liked and it was my third Android and the worst of the three. The S3 is fantastic.

I was very tempted to get one of the Windows phones. I actually though it seemed like a better OS but it's still kinda new so I'm going to wait a little bit and look again. I was tempted though trust me.

libertadrocks I think the look of the new stuff is very nice and clean where the other stuff always has had a slightly cartoonish look to me. I think he did a great job on it. To each their own obviously.

One thing about the competition between the different phones is that it is great for us consumers. The only downside is when one that you don't have comes out with a cool feature that your phone can't get LOL.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Admit; I have an Android phone and blackberry (for work). I have an iPad and a windows RT tablet. I know the mobile platforms well.

This upgrade feels a little weak. I think Apple isn't the innovator it used to be.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
CGI_Ram said:
Admit; I have an Android phone and blackberry (for work). I have an iPad and a windows RT tablet. I know the mobile platforms well.

This upgrade feels a little weak. I think Apple isn't the innovator it used to be.
Apple was innovative up until the iphone 3gs after that all they've done is polish a turd and call it a diamond. Android may not be the best but at least they are bringing new tech and improvement.
Their biggest issue is flooding tge market with way to many choices and a bunch of cheap as phones

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Rabid Ram said:
CGI_Ram said:

Apple was innovative up until the iphone 3gs after that all they've done is polish a turd and call it a diamond. Android may not be the best but at least they are bringing new tech and improvement.
Their biggest issue is flooding tge market with way to many choices and a bunch of cheap as phones

Blackberry did that and hurt themselves. I don't think The Goog makes the same mistake.

This will be sacrilege for iPhone/apple fans but they will be better off without Jobs. He was a master marketer but it takes more than that and more than buying companies like the guys who invented Siri and so on. Eventually you have to do some heavy lifting all on your own and stop saying "hey look at what we have" when everyone else has had it for a year. And he was very stuck on what he liked which long term alienates supporters IMO.

That said the new iOS seems visually attractive enough to net some sales. And at this point there aren't a lot of new users available so it's going to be a contest that entails keeping people's very short attention spans engaged.

bluecoconuts

Legend
I switched to Galaxy and the android system, and I enjoy it much more.. The only issue I have is that the phone doesn't autocorrect things, and I have to go back manually and change them.. It does highlight errors, but I liked the automatic fix from the iPhone.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
bluecoconuts said:
I switched to Galaxy and the android system, and I enjoy it much more.. The only issue I have is that the phone doesn't autocorrect things, and I have to go back manually and change them.. It does highlight errors, but I liked the automatic fix from the iPhone.

My two previous androids did that but the s3 doesn't.....though I bet somewhere in the system settings you can select it.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
Or you can get a better text message app like handcent or go sms to replace the stock text program

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Rabid Ram said:
Or you can get a better text message app like handcent or go sms to replace the stock text program

I used an early version of handcent and it was not so great. Is the updated version strong? It gets good reviews at the play store. Are you using it?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I find the speech-to-text program on the Samsung to be pretty accurate. I don't have to change many words when I'm done dictating a text message, and that's pretty cool. Saves me from having to mash my sausage fingers on that little keypad. Of course you do have to really enunciate, but I don't care. Small price to pay.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
X said:
I find the speech-to-text program on the Samsung to be pretty accurate. I don't have to change many words when I'm done dictating a text message, and that's pretty cool. Saves me from having to mash my sausage fingers on that little keypad. Of course you do have to really enunciate, but I don't care. Small price to pay.

I agree, sometimes its a little slow but it is accurate now.

I'm trying to figure out an easy way to get all my calendar events off my ipad and onto my phone. I don't want to enter birthdays and such all over again. I have a gmail account but have never used it. Any tips technowiz?

I want to wean myself off of the ipad2 and use the calendar on the phone more completely. Eventually I'm gong to sell the ipad or possibly give it to a friend who could use one and buy an andriod tablet so I can have smooth and easy synching.

I need to get the pics off of it too but I can use my PC to back those up.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I don't know how to transfer calendar entries from one device/platform to another. Not sure if there's an export feature (.csv) you can use. I use Google Calendar, and it syncs with my phone automatically. Pretty damn handy. I also gave my wife the permissions, so it syncs up with her laptop and phone as well.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Yeah I gotta get the phone and Google calendar to talk to each other as soon as I figure out how to get the stuff off the ipad.....i think I'll start looking for some directions on that pretty soon. If it isn't easy to do I bet someone made an app for it.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
LesBaker said:
X said:

I'm trying to figure out an easy way to get all my calendar events off my ipad and onto my phone. I don't want to enter birthdays and such all over again. I have a gmail account but have never used it. Any tips technowiz?

I want to wean myself off of the ipad2 and use the calendar on the phone more completely. Eventually I'm gong to sell the ipad or possibly give it to a friend who could use one and buy an andriod tablet so I can have smooth and easy synching.

Ill be your friend i can use an ipad lmao jk

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
LesBaker said:
X said:

If u have a gmail/google account, then you already have a 5gb cloud drive available for your photos. Just upload to google drive and u can see them from any internet facing pc/mac/phone.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I do have a gmail account but I don't know if I have Drive....or is it automatically in your account. I'm gonna play with it tonight to see if I can get it all done. If X has to delete any of my posts in this thread you'll know I'm having trouble LOL.

Once I get the events on my phone calendar I'm good.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Hey by the way X.....the quick reply feature is nice......good idea.