Interesting TE thread...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

oldnotdead

Legend
IMO Edge, CB are most likely with the other being either an ILB or QB2. I think the QB2 will be in the first 6 picks. When will be determined by how the draft goes. In the unlikely event Tune is on the board at 36 he could be the one. McKee will drop out of the first round but how far is hard to say. He might drop as far as 69 but that would be something they might not want to risk. Jake Haener might be there at 177 so they would get a career QB2 with enough talent to keep the Rams competitive. If they go the UDFA route on QB2 that would mean they are rolling the dice on Stafford getting through at least 2 years not missing games, which is a bad bet IMO.

In that first 6 cluster would be Edge, CB, ILB, QB2, P, PK and probably OT (depth). How the draft falls to the Rams will determine not only the player but the draft order.

With Long they will take a wait and see what they have in him. Worst case then Hopkins is TE2 this season.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Both RB and TE are similar in that what we need from them is depth/insurance but both represent ways to juice our offense if the right guy is on the board. That includes all draft spots, from 36 on down.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
The Rams have already shown an extra interest and had visits with Durham and Schoonmaker. This we know.
They are both similar and Higbee-esque. They can line up in or out, but mostly in. They are good receivers who have shown blocking skills worth mentioning. They have the size.

I am good with either of these guys, but neither at #36. I hope it doesn’t come down to that. Even if the Rams could have any TE in the draft, I don’t see him impacting the team as much as an Edge, shutdown CB, or a starting Tackle/Center.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
LaPorta fits McVay like a glove.
LaPorta is solid all around and smart. I think he'd make a good pick somewhere in the 3rd round. Seems like the sort of kid who will be a productive NFL TE.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
IMO Edge, CB are most likely with the other being either an ILB or QB2. I think the QB2 will be in the first 6 picks. When will be determined by how the draft goes. In the unlikely event Tune is on the board at 36 he could be the one. McKee will drop out of the first round but how far is hard to say. He might drop as far as 69 but that would be something they might not want to risk. Jake Haener might be there at 177 so they would get a career QB2 with enough talent to keep the Rams competitive. If they go the UDFA route on QB2 that would mean they are rolling the dice on Stafford getting through at least 2 years not missing games, which is a bad bet IMO.

In that first 6 cluster would be Edge, CB, ILB, QB2, P, PK and probably OT (depth). How the draft falls to the Rams will determine not only the player but the draft order.

With Long they will take a wait and see what they have in him. Worst case then Hopkins is TE2 this season.
Man, Tune at #36 would be a MASSIVE reach and there would be riots in these here forums. He's projected 5th-7th.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
LaPorta is solid all around and smart. I think he'd make a good pick somewhere in the 3rd round. Seems like the sort of kid who will be a productive NFL TE.
I think he would also insulate us a bit in the event Kupp were to miss time. This offense has been too dependent on him and McVay would probably have two rings had he not lost Kupp in '18. So that may be a priority for him.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think he would also insulate us a bit in the event Kupp were to miss time. This offense has been too dependent on him and McVay would probably have two rings had he not lost Kupp in '18. So that may be a priority for him.
I watch the clips of Laporta and I see Brycen Hopkins. Now the pedigree is a big bonus since Iowa has become Tight End U, but still

WestCoastRam

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The Rams have already shown an extra interest and had visits with Durham and Schoonmaker. This we know.
They are both similar and Higbee-esque. They can line up in or out, but mostly in. They are good receivers who have shown blocking skills worth mentioning. They have the size.

I am good with either of these guys, but neither at #36. I hope it doesn’t come down to that. Even if the Rams could have any TE in the draft, I don’t see him impacting the team as much as an Edge, shutdown CB, or a starting Tackle/Center.

Yeah, those guys are definitely round 3-4 guys. The only reason they'd go before that is if there's a run on TE which I could see happening mid-to-late 2nd round.

This WR class is so weak and the TE class so strong, I suspect that there will be a run on them at some point as teams look to find unique pass catchers in this draft since more traditional one's will be hard to come by.

nighttrain

Legend
I watch the clips of Laporta and I see Brycen Hopkins. Now the pedigree is a big bonus since Iowa has become Tight End U, but still
one big thing that Ferentz teaches is fundamentals, all Hawkeye players are well schooled in them. So when drafting a TE, those from the U of I are worth a double look
train

nighttrain

Legend
Among Iowa tight ends all-time, Laporta ranks first in receptions and second in receiving yards . . . according to PFF in 2021, led Big Ten tight ends in receptions (53) ...
This kid is ready to play in the NFL.
train

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
SF drafted Kittle in the 5th round, Snead just needs to do his home work
train
Good lord I wanted the Rams to draft him that year.... Hindsight and all, but I thought he was outstanding and had no idea why he fell so far down the draft.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I suspect Hopkins struggles with the offense. Also mentally he isn't an all-in guy blocking. SLP seems much better in that phase due to general willingness and is more consistent in technique.

I think SLP is a far better and well-rounded prospect than Everett was.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Among Iowa tight ends all-time, Laporta ranks first in receptions and second in receiving yards . . . according to PFF in 2021, led Big Ten tight ends in receptions (53) ...
This kid is ready to play in the NFL.
train
I get that, but given the success of Fant, Kittle & Hockenson, you'd think he'd be more regarded than where he is.
Im all for adding a TE and if he's the guy, I'm in. Im just a little leary of a catch 1st, block when I have to type

nighttrain

Legend
I get that, but given the success of Fant, Kittle & Hockenson, you'd think he'd be more regarded than where he is.
Im all for adding a TE and if he's the guy, I'm in. Im just a little leary of a catch 1st, block when I have to type
and with all that in mind we have multiple 5th round picks.
train

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He'd be a great 3rd round pick for us. He or Kraft would be my hope in the 3rd. Pretty sizable drop off after them IMO.

WestCoastRam

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I could also see the Rams drafting two TEs in this draft easily. Sadly, Long seems like just a jag and a throw in with the Ramsey trade (his TE coach publicly questioned his commitment to football and preparation).

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I wouldn't wait for rounds 4/5 for TE. I'd go round 2-3 range with a trade down then take the one I want. For myself that is either LaPorta or Kraft.

LaPorta is listed as a 3rd rounder due to the fact he's yet another TE who is an oversized wideout in the slot. But his blocking is way more maligned than it deserves. He's going to appeal to teams that run the WCO because even though he plays a position that historically requires time to develop he happens to be good enough to get snaps day one in the slot.

Kraft is a little more balanced and under the radar due to this class and its riches as well as the level of competition. But like with LaPorta I wouldn't wait too long otherwise we'll be watching the typical Green Bay or other WCO rival taking the guy we should have taken.

I expect late second round, by that range thereabouts a lot of these guys are gonna get snapped up and one of them might be SLP due to his polish in the pattern and ability to play quickly. In today's NFL that is a metric teams are very aware of IMO.