Inside Rams’ scouting of Robert Rochell: Matching ‘eye-popping’ data with film, projections with Jalen Ramsey

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame

Inside Rams’ scouting of Robert Rochell: Matching ‘eye-popping’ data with film, projections with Jalen Ramsey​

GettyImages-1228341904-1024x683.jpg

By Jourdan Rodrigue Jun 7, 2021
comment-icon.png
save-icon.png

The third day of the draft is usually a big dart-throwing project, as teams try to add players who may — or may not — one day be contributors on their roster. But for the Rams, establishing a rate of success when picking these later-round prospects — and then developing them from fourth-rounder or later to role-player in the lineup — is crucial to their team-building model. How do they identify these prospects — and how do they match their data and analytics team’s findings with what their scouts are watching on film and experiencing when interacting with players in person?

In this three-part series,
The Athletic goes behind the scenes of the Rams’ process, focusing on their first three draft picks of Day 3: Defensive tackle Bobby Brown III, cornerback Robert Rochell and tight end Jacob Harris.

THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. — The Los Angeles Rams drafted cornerback Robert Rochell at No. 130 this spring, 611 days and 30 completed evaluation reports after they first began scouting him at Central Arkansas.
“We were doing some summer work, especially on guys from FCS schools — small schools. Usually, there is going to be some word of mouth and he came on my radar,” said area scout Cedric Jones, who was a lead on Rochell for the last two years.

“We turned on the film, and (first up) was Western Kentucky. Right away, you could see those physical traits.” Jones said. “And then you start seeing his ball skills.”

Rochell used to play quarterback and receiver in high school, at Fair Park in Shreveport, La., and Jones said it was pretty clear that Rochell is “used to having the ball in his hands.” The Rams, under general manager Les Snead, love drafting former quarterbacks who switched positions (Cooper Kupp, Cam Akers, Tutu Atwell among others). Jones was hooked. He dug deeper.

On one play, Western Kentucky tried to draw Rochell across the field via a dragging receiver. Jones planted, flipped and adjusted to the intended receiver, then closed on the ball and hit the receiver so hard the ball came loose. Excitedly, Jones scribbled something down in his notes for later — something that would come up in meetings about Rochell, as the scouting personnel and data analysts began to match and cross-reference their notes on 2021 prospects in collaborative meetings the following year.

In fact, behind the scenes, the Rams were about to draw up a pretty huge comparison for Rochell, specifically where his athletic traits and how they match them in their system were concerned — a comparison reserved for only a few players over their last five years of analysis. That comparison would, in the month or so leading up to the draft, get defensive coordinator Raheem Morris so excited about Rochell as a prospect that he deemed the rookie corner as one of his “pool party” picks (and one of the few non-front-7 guys on his personal list) — or, a pick who, should the Rams draft him, prompt Morris to dive into the pool at the Malibu draft house.

“Since 2015 — that’s when we started our internal scouting system, called ‘JARS’, we have 5,000 different defensive backs that we have (measurables) on,” said Jake Temme, who is a data and analytics manager for the Rams. “And within our internal mechanism for doing weight-adjusted/athleticism (measurements) — called RSDI (Rams Standard Deviation Index) — he was in the top 10 percent for the cornerback position.”

In that five-year data span, the Rams, said Temme, found there were just four players who satisfied all of the following conditions they use to evaluate defensive backs within their database (which Temme discovered by programming a query of these conditions into the system): The player was drafted, the player was 5-foot-10 or taller, the player was equal to or heavier than 180 pounds, the player jumped 40-plus inches vertically in testing and the player broad-jumped 10 feet or more and the player ran a 4.40-second-or-less 40-yard-dash when averaged between six different times collected between official and unofficial recordings.

“Those four players are Jalen Ramsey, Obi Melifonwu, Derwin James and Robert Rochell,” Temme said. “Pretty rare guy, athletically, to get that late in the draft … I think, in particular, when you’re talking about a guy who we had a ton of scouting on, who then satisfies the physical conditions that we’re talking about — he was really exciting to be a Day 3 guy, a guy who we had basically circled after taking Ernest (Jones) at No. 103, saying, ‘This is a guy we’re going to target tomorrow.'”

Before we get carried away at the comparison to Ramsey, remember: The Rams’ data process combines specific measurables, some of which are pulled from athletic traits, some from testing numbers and some from other variables to basically build a numerical model of a player, then they collaborate with scouts to match those data points to what is on tape and in a player’s background (including Snead’s favorite “intangibles”). They aren’t at all saying Rochell is “the next Jalen Ramsey” but …

“Jalen is elite,” Jones said. “And when you put (the numbers) side by side, Robert has some of those similar physical traits that Jalen has.”
One interesting detail, though, was a similarity they saw between how Rochell, who is 6-foot-2, and Ramsey, who is 6-foot-1, use their frames to add length when playing either a receiver or the ball.

“You’re looking on film and sometimes it’s kind of hard to tell — you’re looking, and (suddenly) you’re like, ‘Damn, that kid looks long,” Jones said. “He measured in at right about that 6-foot-range. But looking on tape, he looks every bit of 6-foot-3-ish. You see those long arms. … He uses every bit of his length.

“He’s able to disrupt releases on the line of scrimmage from receivers. You see those arms there. All of the sudden, you see the fluidity he moves with up in space. So you’re like, ‘Whoa.’ Then, when the ball is in the air, you see that vertical leap — and he elevates the play above the rim to pluck the ball out of the air. That’s when it’s eye-poppin’, and those traits really start playing.”

To describe how Rochell can operate in a vertical space, national scout Marty Barrett borrowed a phrase from his wife and daughters, who all either coach or play competitive volleyball: “Touch point” or the highest point a person can reach when height, jump, arm, fingertip and spatial awareness are all taken into consideration.

“I think you saw the measures play out, with Robert,” Temme said. “Whenever you watched him play, if you watched him go up for, like, a 50/50 ball — and he won a ton of those, got his hands on a ton of footballs — I think you start to … (believe) that this guy is a special athlete because of what you saw on film, because of how you saw him go sideline to sideline and be able to reach stuff that you didn’t necessarily feel like other corners could.

“He’s really good at isolating the boundary, raising up and getting his hands on the football.”
As the analysts, scouts and various cross-checkers and personnel people held prospect meetings, Temme got a kick out of the fact that Rochell and Ramsey were “comped” via many of their measurables and had some fun with the presentation of those findings.

“We were (meeting) over Zoom, and so I can just throw a picture in the chat,” he laughed. “So I could just throw a picture of those measurables — put Jalen next to Robert and stack them together. Someone will end up seeing it in the chat and pulling it up, having it resonate — maybe somebody’s all jacked-up because of the Jalen comp.”

Rochell was invited to the Senior Bowl but did not draw glowing reviews from analysts when matched up against a few of the top receivers there. Jones says that Rochell was dealing with an injury during that time and believes that Rochell would have been drafted a lot higher if he were healthy/competitive during that all-star event. Being a small-school prospect also likely limited his reach within draft rooms. Only nine non-FBS players were selected in the 2021 NFL Draft; the Rams picked up two of them.

So, as the third day of the draft unfolded, Rochell was still on the board. Jones and Temme were off-site (as was Snead), while head coach Sean McVay and Morris were at the draft house.
The scout and the data analyst anxiously watched the Rams’ draft board materialize as the fourth round continued. After picking defensive tackle Bobby Brown III at No. 117, Snead traded back with the Jaguars from No. 121 to No. 130.
Temme chewed on his nails. Finally, the Rams sent in Rochell’s card at about 10:10 a.m.

“We were hopeful that he would last those nine extra picks that we moved back (via Jacksonville) to No. 130,” Temme said. “That’s brutal. There’s a lot of energy, a lot of feeling — it’s palpable … you’re kind of feeling that energy between people.”

The Rams believe that Rochell will quietly grow into one of the leaders in this draft class. Jones, who spent a great deal of time digging into Rochell’s background, says that he’s “a mature kid” whose family leaned on him at a young age after his father passed away, and believes others will similarly gravitate toward him.

But Rochell also needs to adjust to the NFL, a jump that can sometimes be difficult for smaller-school players because of the juxtaposed size, speed and all-around talent of their opponents. Jones believes that putting Rochell in a room with Ramsey will be one of the best things that could happen for him as he develops. Ramsey’s attention to detail is what the Rams will also need from Rochell, who must grow his technique to match his promising traits if he wants to work into the starting rotation at some point.

“He’s going to have some good player models to see how to play the game at a high level,” Jones said. “When you have a guy like (Jalen) … you see day in and day out what it takes to be able to play that position at a high level. He can get the verbal (advice) from Jalen, but he’s going to get real, live examples.”

Rochell demonstrated coverage versatility on tape but did not play a ton of nickel in college — now, he may be asked to learn that position as well as shoulder duties on the perimeter because, within the Rams’ system, all players in the secondary do scheme to unlock Ramsey in some way.

“In particular, we say we have the best in the business with Jalen,” Jones said. “Well, we want to move him around the field for matchups. When you do that, you gotta have other guys back there also who are able to move and interchange.

“Robert is one of those special guys … with both length and those physical traits … we see him being able to move around and be one of those pieces that you can plug in all over the field. Be versatile and show that flexibility that we have.”

Added Temme, “We bet on people, not players. And Robert the person is a guy worth betting on. … The big picture on Robert was that he’s a person worth investing in. When you take that into consideration with the physical traits, he’s a really exciting bet relative to the acquisition cost …

“We have a high belief in our coaching staff, a high belief in our player development infrastructure that the right people are going to translate time and time again. That’s what we put our stock in.”
(Photo: Michael Wade / Icon Sportswire via Getty Images)

Last edited:

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
Jourdan is such a great beat writer. Every article is golden.

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Jourdan is such a great beat writer. Every article is golden.
Agreed. She became my favorite very quickly.
I also enjoy when her turn is up during the press conferences.
You know she is going ask a very "advanced knowledge" type question,
and not the same old BS that most of the reporters ask.

Will try to post as much of her stuff as I can.

oldnotdead

Legend
Her work is one of the best beat writers I've come across. I love her work.

Regarding Rochell, I got word about him at a Xmas party. I was pointed at Rochell by my friend who said this kid has elite 1st round talent and had he not been injured at the Senior Bowl he would have gone in the first round. My friend said if the Rams get him its not striking gold, it's pure platinum. He said Rochell could be another Ramsey and that would make the secondary an epic unit. When I watched video of him it was eye-popping. If he gets anywhere near being another Ramsey that would make this draft no matter who else develops.

I loved this article because it shows why the Rams strike gold in the late rounds. They know exactly who they are getting. It's simply amazing the organization that Snead has created. I knew they did deep dives into players but I didn't realize it was to the extent that Jourdan described. It's why I would be shocked if Holmes didn't become another Snead type of GM. He's seen firsthand exactly how Snead has built the Rams. Making them competitive while rebuilding.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Love the article! Getting that behind the scenes information on how they have years of time and money invested in digging to find people who are players.

It will be fun to watch how he develops over the next couple of years.

Knowing he was getting reps with 1s in OTAs and reading his take on it combined with this report on their scouting, how can you not get jacked about this kid.

Bring on part 2!!!

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
After reading that, it makes me wonder about what went wrong with those guys that we've drafted and seen very little out of?
Excluding the gambles taken with injured guys (Lewis, Obo), there's not been too many... but guys like Hopkins and David Long Jr... are they misses or just not developing as fast as hoped?
The hardest thing has to be knowing what these kids values really are.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
For those that missed it: it was asked how the Rams use analytics to a greater degree than other teams.

Since 2015 — that’s when we started our internal scouting system, called ‘JARS’, we have 5,000 different defensive backs that we have (measurables) on,” said Jake Temme, who is a data and analytics manager for the Rams. “And within our internal mechanism for doing weight-adjusted/athleticism (measurements) — called RSDI (Rams Standard Deviation Index) — he was in the top 10 percent for the cornerback position.”

That’s a MASSIVE dig into the data as compared to just film and forty times.

Analytics isn’t just data and rankings. It’s sifting through mountains of data to find PERTINENT data that in concert with other factors give a causal or contributory output that’s advantageous in making decisions or determining causes or factors which would need to be mitigated or encouraged.

This is just one clue into how the Rams have established and continue to innovate in the data space and why we see the results on the field that we do.

As for the draft, we could get Rochell where we did because other teams don’t sift and analyze the data the way we do.

Rejoice Rams fans. Another advantage for us!

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
After reading that, it makes me wonder about what went wrong with those guys that we've drafted and seen very little out of?
Excluding the gambles taken with injured guys (Lewis, Obo), there's not been too many... but guys like Hopkins and David Long Jr... are they misses or just not developing as fast as hoped?
Not sure about Hopkins because he didn’t get a camp last year and had established players in front of him.

Long hasn’t had much time in the field but where would he have played last year?

Now both of these guys have new talent to compete against. They better step up the Rams team is not a place for slow developers.

Ram65

Legend
Great insight on the Rams scouting process. Seems like this draft class has a lot of potentials based on the Rams RSDI. This is the type of insight we need more of. Keep up the great work Jourdan!

“And within our internal mechanism for doing weight-adjusted/athleticism (measurements) — called RSDI (Rams Standard Deviation Index) — he was in the top 10 percent for the cornerback position.”
It will be interesting to see how fast Rochell makes the adjustment to the NFL. The Rams may have been lucky they didn't miss out by dropping back in the draft. Also a little luck that he had a little injury at Senior Bowl and the missed season last year.

I'm still high on Long and hope to see him get some good PT this year.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
Obviously the Rams have some foresight when it comes to drafting DBs. Look at their track record... JJIII, Williams, Fuller, Hill and even Rapp.
I know some of you are down on Rapp but remember he had an excellent rookie season and I think his nagging injury effected his play last year which is why he was held out. I think he'll have a bounce back year.

oldnotdead

Legend
Players develop at different rates, then there are the injuries that slow that development. Okoronkwo was a Wade Phillips pick, and his version of 3-4 hybrid was completely different than what Staley did. What makes Staley's version so difficult to play against is his disguising the play much in the same way McVay does it on offense.

Looking at the players that Morris wanted he's looking more and more like a more conventional 3-4 hybrid scheme. In that scheme you want different players in the front 7 with the idea that you are going to put the offense behind the chains. Then you come with pressure and tight coverage. Guys like Jones, Bobby Brown, and Earnest Brown fit that type of scheme as do Jonah Williams and Hoecht. Those three defenders aren't penetration-pressure guys. They are there to stop early-down runs. Then on second down guys like Gaines and Hollins rotate in to keep them from converting. There is nothing wrong with that if you have the secondary to stop early-down passing and if they aren't going to go to an 11 personnel set. Morris has the secondary to stop early-down passing by predominately run offenses. He can play man outside with a single high FS with speed like Burgess who can shade to Williams' side with confidence in Ramsey. That is the value of Ramsey.

I'm not saying he won't change up and play a cover 3, but unlike Staley, I don't expect that to be his base. I think we will see that more on passing downs. If Morris can consistently stop those early-down runs, this defense might be much more efficient at forcing 3 and outs. That's what the Ravens like to do, getting the opposition behind the chains then turning the dogs loose.

Both McVay and Snead emphasized that they draft for traits. On your DL and LBs those traits vary with the scheme you intend to play. Speed and quickness have been an emphasis for Snead but Jones and the Browns are a departure from that on the defense. These guys are run stoppers, i.e. early-down rotational players you would want in a conventional 3-4 hybrid scheme. Once we see what Raheem is going to play then it will be easier to see the fit.

Someone to watch is Paris Ford and UDFA who is 6'1" 197 lbs, and is listed as a safety. But he lacks the speed to play as a DB in the NFL. That said, as an undersized early-down LB he could have potential. He's strictly a downhill player and has a rep as a thumper. He might make the PS as a 2-year project if he can show enough. Word is he's another Morris guy which accounts for his lack of speed as opposed to Moncrief a 4.5 runner projecting as a WIL (behind Young). Moncrief could take Howard's roster spot.

There is going to be a whole lot of competition going on, unlike Arian's comments about the Bucs that guys didn't look like they were fighting for their jobs (something you never want to see and says something about the coaching culture in Tampa).

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
This is a heck of a glimpse into how one of the most successful teams at drafting late round defensive backs works to find them.

Watching Rochelle develop should be really interesting.

(....from Milan to Minsk.)
Sorry..... I couldn't help myself.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Yes sir I was thinking the same thing......CB David Long has starter written all over him when he was drafted. I thought he was going to be a steal. I was so wrong:facepalm:. Long certainly has had his opportunities the last two seasons but now with the addition of DB Robert Rochell & the return of health of DB Terrell Burgess he just might get shelved for good. Just looking at what I know at this time Rochell has a good road to being the main outside corner reserve & Burgess could easily slide into the starting Nickle coverage post from his starting safety position when that defense is required. The Rams have a ton of safety talent ready to get snaps @ safety when Burgess slides.

Okoronkwo's:dep: main story/book has been titled "Why do I always get hurt when I run onto the field" authored by Obo.

Last edited:

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Yes sir I was thinking the same thing......CB David Long has starter written all over him when he was drafted. I thought he was going to be a steal. I was so wrong:facepalm:.

Okoronkwo's:dep: main story/book thus far "is why do I always get hurt when I run onto the field" authored by Obo.
We're not even really sure if David Long is not that good or if other players have been better and simply beaten him out for playing time.

Obo look like a monster on tape from his college days where he didn't have an injury problem and now he does.

Sometimes it just works out like that.

But in the meantime, we also get really lucky with players like Jordan, Ebukam and Sebastian Joseph Day.

I think it more than evens out in the long run.

oldnotdead

Legend
David Long has been a bit victimized by having 3 DCs in 3 years. He was drafted when Phillips was DC and played a conventional 3-4 hybrid scheme. The following year Staley took over and his role changed again as the scheme changed. Now in his 3rd year, he has another DC who IMO will change again to something of a hybrid of both Staley and Phillips.

When I watched Long play he was always a hesitant because he was thinking his way through the play. I expect him to play faster this year as now he's experienced both Phillips and Staley's schemes. David has the talent to be a starting boundary CB he just needs to not have to think his way through things. That is why most rookies look half a step slow.

With Long, I think he will probably rotate in to play boundary the side depending upon whether it's Williams or Ramsey that slides into SCB. Or Morris can play 3 safeties moving Burgess to replace Williams who moves to SCB and Scott moves to FS. This is how deep the secondary is. This gives them the luxury of bringing Rochell along at his pace. I think later in the season Rochell gets spot snaps in games if they feel confident he's ready enough. I think by next season Rochell will be a regular in the rotation. This will give Morris real depth at CB with Rochell behind Ramsey and Long behind Williams.

The same can be said for Bobby Brown who IMO was drafted to give them an option in 2023 of not extending Robinson if they choose not to spend the money. Brown is looked at as a two-year project player which coincides with Robinson being a UFA in 2023. Although Robinson could very well be the long-term NT they want then Gaines can move behind AD. This roster is loaded and stacked with guys expected to reach their peaks when it's most advantageous for the team.

Former PS guys like Hoecht and Williams if they play well in preseason could be rotational guys this year. Hoecht behind AD and Williams behind Hollins. The way this roster is loaded on defense, Morris has multiple options all over the place.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Rochell still has to do the work and hopefully can process quickly enough. David Long did not fit that ideal metric that only four players did since 2015. But in that case, if they need DBs they had to take the closest thing they could get. Long had potential to be very good even if limited by size. His ability to stick to receivers is impressive but he’s never developed ball skills or timing on when to attack the ball. They can’t hit on them all.

I like Troy Hill, but I know he’s not great, he consistory started ahead of Long. That tells me Long was not as good. So, Snead’s crew may have missed on a pick. It happens.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Rochell still has to do the work and hopefully can process quickly enough. David Long did not fit that ideal metric that only four players did since 2015. But in that case, if they need DBs they had to take the closest thing they could get. Long had potential to be very good even if limited by size. His ability to stick to receivers is impressive but he’s never developed ball skills or timing on when to attack the ball. They can’t hit on them all.

I like Troy Hill, but I know he’s not great, he consistory started ahead of Long. That tells me Long was not as good. So, Snead’s crew may have missed on a pick. It happens.
Yeah, for sure. I'm not bothered or upset with missing on some picks. I'm just impressed by how often we dont... espescially compared to the decade before Sneads arrival.
My post wasn't intended as a complaint about Long or Hopkins or our drafting... it was just a thought about how hard it has to be. You can run every test, check everything in someone's past, talk to people in his life and do everything possible to eliminate risk of missing on a pick and at the end if the day, you still can't know exactly what a guy has in his heart or mind or whatever.