Inside Rams’ scouting of Jacob Harris: From ‘unicorn’ measurables to an ‘analytics pick’ — how he’ll be molded

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame

Inside Rams’ scouting of Jacob Harris: From ‘unicorn’ measurables to an ‘analytics pick’ — how he’ll be molded​

GettyImages-1229824633-scaled-e1623647712524-1024x683.jpg

By Jourdan Rodrigue Jun 14, 2021
comment-icon.png
save-icon.png

The third day of the draft is usually a big dart-throwing project, as teams try to add players who may — or may not — one day be contributors on their roster. But for the Rams, establishing a rate of success when picking these later-round prospects — and then developing them from fourth-rounder or later to role-player in the lineup — is crucial to their team-building model. How do they identify these prospects — and how do they match their data and analytics team’s findings with what their scouts are watching on film and experiencing when interacting with players in person?

In this three-part series,
The Athletic goes behind the scenes of the Rams’ process, focusing on their first three draft picks of Day 3: Defensive tackle Bobby Brown III, cornerback Robert Rochell and tight end Jacob Harris.

THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. — Two years ago, Rams’ Southeastern scout Michael Pierce was on a routine visit to the University of Central Florida and had positioned himself near the corner of the end zone as the Knights worked through their red zone period.
Then-redshirt junior receiver Jacob Harris ran a fade, and the quarterback lofted up a pass — perhaps too high, it first appeared. But suddenly, Harris’ cleats were nearly even with Pierce’s head. He pulled down the catch inbounds, and Pierce tracked him closely from that day until the Rams drafted him at No. 141 in April.

“I’m like, ‘Man, this guy is jumping — his feet are at my head!” Pierce said. “That was a first exposure. Of course, seeing his long frame and seeing him move — that jumped out early. But (that play) was my first exposure.

“Even (the year before he declared for the draft), I can remember thinking, ‘I would love to have this guy on our team.'”
After he was drafted, Harris was described by a source to The Athletic as a “total analytics pick,” a raw prospect offensively who would certainly make the 53-man roster because, outside of his status as a fourth-rounder, he would be expected to activate even to the game day roster each week as a key special-teams contributor. Harris, who is 6-foot-5 and about 215 pounds, technically has just about one full year of relevant live offensive snaps under his belt but was special-teams coordinator Joe DeCamillis’ favorite player in the draft because of his vigor in that phase.

But between then and the Rams’ conclusion of minicamp last week, something notable has been unfolding: Where young players often seem to develop in increments almost too minimal for the untrained eye to track, Harris has seemed to chew off large chunks of the learning curve. In fact, it seems Harris has become a “special project” player for both tight ends coach Wes Phillips — with whom Harris is constantly in orbit receiving instruction — and head coach Sean McVay, who has taken extra time with the rookie during drills on more than one occasion. With veteran No. 1 tight end Tyler Higbee not practicing, McVay also placed Harris into the first-team reps in seven-on-sevens through the entirety of minicamp after building his workload in OTAs the two weeks prior. Seven-on-sevens are run at nearly full speed and built to test mental dexterity in a semi-live situation and stress the mind at a faster rate. To see a rookie not only jump over more veteran players on the roster for those reps — and then thrive in them — is rare air, even without the pads on yet.

“I think he’s just earned it,” said McVay of Harris’ increased role over a rapid period. “I think he’s a guy that has a tremendous amount of upside. Wes Phillips has done a really nice job of getting him up to speed. His natural range, catch radius, body control for a player of his size is pretty rare. I think you guys can see — for NFL guys to stand out the way that he has done, in some of these limited settings, in shorts and in helmets, he’s definitely made a positive impression.”

McVay added that he plans to align Harris in a variety of positions along the line of scrimmage, which means he’ll be in less of the “traditional” tight end role and more of a mismatch option specifically in the passing game. That’s also what Pierce saw in Harris throughout his two years of scouting him.

“If you think that he can be a tight end — which, I think he can be a tight end — then you say, ‘Let him develop, and he’ll win a spot at tight end because he’s so athletic, so fast, he can jump so high and he has that determination that you want out of the position,'” Pierce said. “But then you think, ‘OK, he can be a receiver’ because he’s got that top-shelf speed, he can really get to the top of coverage, he can jump and attack the ball — at the same time, he has some development (needed) … he’s an interesting one.

“I know everyone will (look at) the position and say, ‘What is he?’ but we’ll figure that out.”
In fact, the Rams’ analysts believe that by throwing him in the tight ends room (yet still aligning him virtually everywhere in the passing game) instead of keeping him at strictly wide receiver, Harris’ probability of contributing earlier in his career increases.

“I have done some studies over the past few years, looking at positions where, in those later rounds, what is going to give you the most success?” said Sarah Bailey, who is a manager in the Rams’ football analytics department. “And tight end is one of those positions where the athlete has more probability of actually making it.

“I look at probability of playing, and when he switched his position from wideout to tight end, he actually increased his probability of playing by almost 20 percent. From my perspective, that was a huge ‘Whoa.’ Take it with a grain of salt — you’re still that (fourth-rounder) — but to have that big of an increase, and then you look at his play style and his body type and he could actually fit that mold, too, it doesn’t seem like it might just be an outlier.”

The Rams’ data piles for speed testing (including within its various combinations that match speed with weight, speed with wingspan, etc.) are color-coded. Harris’ data was “all blue,” which means his measurables ranked in the top 10 percent of their overall data pool.

“(Our system) puts him into a percentile of where current pro players are,” Bailey said. “So that’s the top of the percentile … What really stood out was not only his long speed, but his short speed … his three-cone immediately and some of his jumping.”

The Rams’ own measurement systems and evaluation programming aren’t public information (for example, while the public has access to things like 40-times and testing numbers filed at pro days or the NFL combine, the Rams also weigh those against privately-obtained measurables such as GPS tracking data, long-term body composition projections and more), but Harris’ public testing numbers also resulted in a RAS (Relative Athletic Score) of 9.88 out of a possible 10.0 as a receiver — No. 31 out of 2,517 receivers publicly tested since 1987. When his position is switched to tight end in the scoring system, Harris’ speed composite is 9.71, his explosiveness composite is 9.945 and his agility composite is 8.84 — all categorized as either “great” or “elite” via the RAS system.

For reference, No. 4 overall pick Kyle Pitts — lauded as one of the best tight end and overall receiving prospects in a draft class in years — had a RAS of 9.66. Pitts, of course, has the added polish of experience and acumen specifically as a pass catcher, while Harris is considered “moldable” because he has only a few years of football experience after switching over from soccer in college.

Harris’ size composite, however, ranks well-under average for the tight end position (“poor” per RAS). But this is where the Rams will try to blend data with coaching and development — because even though Harris is undersized for a tight end, by placing him in that position group they believe they are increasing his contribution probability as long as they are also able to scheme him in accordance with his athletic traits as a receiver. And, it seems, they are less concerned with “traditional” tight end traits (such as blocking) than they are impressed with Harris’ measurables as they translate into specifically the passing game and his special-teams ability.

USATSI_15351801-scaled.jpg

Jacob Harris. (Jasen Vinlove / USA Today)

“We can be creative with Jacob,” Pierce said. “If you put him at tight end, you could say he’s one of the most athletic tight ends you would look at coming out. He’s as athletic as Pitts if you look at him at tight end. And then at wide receiver, you see maybe one of the most dynamic deep-ball threats as well. My emphasis (in presenting Harris as a prospect) was, ‘He’s moldable.'”

“You say these guys, you have ‘high ceilings and low floors,'” Bailey added, “but he doesn’t have a low floor. His ceiling is high enough to compensate for the risk that you take. … He had the right attributes at that pick. You’re not getting a second-round guy where you’re like, ‘he’s for sure a tight end, he’s for sure this (or that).’ You’re a (fourth-round) guy, you have a really good ceiling.”

Bailey and Pierce also alluded to Harris’ above-average scoring in mental tests and personality evaluations. Pierce said that throughout the evaluation process, Harris was a prospect who, if a coach or scout reached out wanting to have a conversation, he’d call them immediately.

“He’s mature, he has it figured out. He has a why, he’s a genuine person,” Pierce said. “You see all of those things (and) hear all of those things. You get a feel for it when you speak to him. It just really checks the box … (Reports on) him in school, with coaches and all of the staff, it checks off when you talk to him as well. He was an easy interview.”

Harris will still have a long developmental journey ahead and especially so when the pads finally go on in training camp and the real work begins. But Pierce has been scouting and evaluating players for the Rams for over six years, and from that first red zone play over two years ago until the Rams sent in the draft card at about 10:44 a.m. on that Saturday, he has had a feeling in his gut about Harris and his potential.

“You study thousands of players, and you look back 10 years from now and you automatically know those guys,” Pierce said. “In essence, sometimes I call them ‘unicorns.'”
Said Bailey, “I have (drawn) stars on my notes, like, ‘This is the guy you want to bet on.’ It’s really been, the last two years, (about) emphasizing: ‘Hey, if you’re gonna bet on a guy, bet on an athlete.’
“This is what we have with this guy. We have an athlete.”

(Photo: Conor Kvatek / Collegiate Images / Getty Images)

Last edited:

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Looking forward to camp reports to see how he develops and can he hold up to the physical nature of the NFL. He looks smooth, can he separate from top tier defenders? Should be fun to watch.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
They mention that he is "undersized" for a TE, but that's only in terms of his current weight. He definitely has the height and frame to play the position. Moreover, the frame is such that should they want him to bulk up, he could add a good chunk of muscle weight if they want him to play in more of a traditional TE role.

oldnotdead

Legend
He's already beginning to supplant Hopkins as #2 TE and I see him taking over #1TE perhaps as early as 2023. This kid is legit as shown by his rapid progress in OTAs.

Higbee is your classic possession type of TE. But Harris is in the mold of a true threat from the TE position. He has the talent to be one of the best. Tyler will be 30 years old and in a contract year in 2023.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Things I want to hear about Harris by Week One:
"I can't cover him" ~ Ramsey

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
Man has Harris quickly turned into the underrated, hidden gem rookie phenom sleeper.

Without ever playing an NFL regular season snap this dude has become the LA Rams media darling prior to training camp.

The thing is, I've bought in on this cat myself.

This dude is on everyone's radar and he will get 3 preseason games to splash.

hg-logo2.jpg

ZF2PHSGMZ5CPDFEYSTQPTKDLJY.jpg

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Kid looks WAAY heavier than 215 to me. The frame is there for another 30lbs easily if they want it. It will be super interesting to see how they develop him. I would like to see what he would move like with another 20lbs on him.

dang

Legend
Cautiously optimistic over time. I remember a lot of hype over Jefferson last year. I think Jefferson will slowly progress over the course of the year but it remains to be seen.

Juice

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm pulling for the guy. It's always great to see a player change positions and excede, and I mean especially at this level. Time will tell, but it would be awesome if he turned out to be an athletic, fast TE for the Rams. Let's also hope he can block.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame

Inside Rams’ scouting of Jacob Harris: From ‘unicorn’ measurables to an ‘analytics pick’ — how he’ll be molded​

GettyImages-1229824633-scaled-e1623647712524-1024x683.jpg

By Jourdan Rodrigue Jun 14, 2021
comment-icon.png
save-icon.png

The third day of the draft is usually a big dart-throwing project, as teams try to add players who may — or may not — one day be contributors on their roster. But for the Rams, establishing a rate of success when picking these later-round prospects — and then developing them from fourth-rounder or later to role-player in the lineup — is crucial to their team-building model. How do they identify these prospects — and how do they match their data and analytics team’s findings with what their scouts are watching on film and experiencing when interacting with players in person?

In this three-part series,
The Athletic goes behind the scenes of the Rams’ process, focusing on their first three draft picks of Day 3: Defensive tackle Bobby Brown III, cornerback Robert Rochell and tight end Jacob Harris.

THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. — Two years ago, Rams’ Southeastern scout Michael Pierce was on a routine visit to the University of Central Florida and had positioned himself near the corner of the end zone as the Knights worked through their red zone period.
Then-redshirt junior receiver Jacob Harris ran a fade, and the quarterback lofted up a pass — perhaps too high, it first appeared. But suddenly, Harris’ cleats were nearly even with Pierce’s head. He pulled down the catch inbounds, and Pierce tracked him closely from that day until the Rams drafted him at No. 141 in April.

“I’m like, ‘Man, this guy is jumping — his feet are at my head!” Pierce said. “That was a first exposure. Of course, seeing his long frame and seeing him move — that jumped out early. But (that play) was my first exposure.

“Even (the year before he declared for the draft), I can remember thinking, ‘I would love to have this guy on our team.'”
After he was drafted, Harris was described by a source to The Athletic as a “total analytics pick,” a raw prospect offensively who would certainly make the 53-man roster because, outside of his status as a fourth-rounder, he would be expected to activate even to the game day roster each week as a key special-teams contributor. Harris, who is 6-foot-5 and about 215 pounds, technically has just about one full year of relevant live offensive snaps under his belt but was special-teams coordinator Joe DeCamillis’ favorite player in the draft because of his vigor in that phase.

But between then and the Rams’ conclusion of minicamp last week, something notable has been unfolding: Where young players often seem to develop in increments almost too minimal for the untrained eye to track, Harris has seemed to chew off large chunks of the learning curve. In fact, it seems Harris has become a “special project” player for both tight ends coach Wes Phillips — with whom Harris is constantly in orbit receiving instruction — and head coach Sean McVay, who has taken extra time with the rookie during drills on more than one occasion. With veteran No. 1 tight end Tyler Higbee not practicing, McVay also placed Harris into the first-team reps in seven-on-sevens through the entirety of minicamp after building his workload in OTAs the two weeks prior. Seven-on-sevens are run at nearly full speed and built to test mental dexterity in a semi-live situation and stress the mind at a faster rate. To see a rookie not only jump over more veteran players on the roster for those reps — and then thrive in them — is rare air, even without the pads on yet.

“I think he’s just earned it,” said McVay of Harris’ increased role over a rapid period. “I think he’s a guy that has a tremendous amount of upside. Wes Phillips has done a really nice job of getting him up to speed. His natural range, catch radius, body control for a player of his size is pretty rare. I think you guys can see — for NFL guys to stand out the way that he has done, in some of these limited settings, in shorts and in helmets, he’s definitely made a positive impression.”

McVay added that he plans to align Harris in a variety of positions along the line of scrimmage, which means he’ll be in less of the “traditional” tight end role and more of a mismatch option specifically in the passing game. That’s also what Pierce saw in Harris throughout his two years of scouting him.

“If you think that he can be a tight end — which, I think he can be a tight end — then you say, ‘Let him develop, and he’ll win a spot at tight end because he’s so athletic, so fast, he can jump so high and he has that determination that you want out of the position,'” Pierce said. “But then you think, ‘OK, he can be a receiver’ because he’s got that top-shelf speed, he can really get to the top of coverage, he can jump and attack the ball — at the same time, he has some development (needed) … he’s an interesting one.

“I know everyone will (look at) the position and say, ‘What is he?’ but we’ll figure that out.”
In fact, the Rams’ analysts believe that by throwing him in the tight ends room (yet still aligning him virtually everywhere in the passing game) instead of keeping him at strictly wide receiver, Harris’ probability of contributing earlier in his career increases.

“I have done some studies over the past few years, looking at positions where, in those later rounds, what is going to give you the most success?” said Sarah Bailey, who is a manager in the Rams’ football analytics department. “And tight end is one of those positions where the athlete has more probability of actually making it.

“I look at probability of playing, and when he switched his position from wideout to tight end, he actually increased his probability of playing by almost 20 percent. From my perspective, that was a huge ‘Whoa.’ Take it with a grain of salt — you’re still that (fourth-rounder) — but to have that big of an increase, and then you look at his play style and his body type and he could actually fit that mold, too, it doesn’t seem like it might just be an outlier.”

The Rams’ data piles for speed testing (including within its various combinations that match speed with weight, speed with wingspan, etc.) are color-coded. Harris’ data was “all blue,” which means his measurables ranked in the top 10 percent of their overall data pool.

“(Our system) puts him into a percentile of where current pro players are,” Bailey said. “So that’s the top of the percentile … What really stood out was not only his long speed, but his short speed … his three-cone immediately and some of his jumping.”

The Rams’ own measurement systems and evaluation programming aren’t public information (for example, while the public has access to things like 40-times and testing numbers filed at pro days or the NFL combine, the Rams also weigh those against privately-obtained measurables such as GPS tracking data, long-term body composition projections and more), but Harris’ public testing numbers also resulted in a RAS (Relative Athletic Score) of 9.88 out of a possible 10.0 as a receiver — No. 31 out of 2,517 receivers publicly tested since 1987. When his position is switched to tight end in the scoring system, Harris’ speed composite is 9.71, his explosiveness composite is 9.945 and his agility composite is 8.84 — all categorized as either “great” or “elite” via the RAS system.

For reference, No. 4 overall pick Kyle Pitts — lauded as one of the best tight end and overall receiving prospects in a draft class in years — had a RAS of 9.66. Pitts, of course, has the added polish of experience and acumen specifically as a pass catcher, while Harris is considered “moldable” because he has only a few years of football experience after switching over from soccer in college.

Harris’ size composite, however, ranks well-under average for the tight end position (“poor” per RAS). But this is where the Rams will try to blend data with coaching and development — because even though Harris is undersized for a tight end, by placing him in that position group they believe they are increasing his contribution probability as long as they are also able to scheme him in accordance with his athletic traits as a receiver. And, it seems, they are less concerned with “traditional” tight end traits (such as blocking) than they are impressed with Harris’ measurables as they translate into specifically the passing game and his special-teams ability.

USATSI_15351801-scaled.jpg

Jacob Harris. (Jasen Vinlove / USA Today)

“We can be creative with Jacob,” Pierce said. “If you put him at tight end, you could say he’s one of the most athletic tight ends you would look at coming out. He’s as athletic as Pitts if you look at him at tight end. And then at wide receiver, you see maybe one of the most dynamic deep-ball threats as well. My emphasis (in presenting Harris as a prospect) was, ‘He’s moldable.'”

“You say these guys, you have ‘high ceilings and low floors,'” Bailey added, “but he doesn’t have a low floor. His ceiling is high enough to compensate for the risk that you take. … He had the right attributes at that pick. You’re not getting a second-round guy where you’re like, ‘he’s for sure a tight end, he’s for sure this (or that).’ You’re a (fourth-round) guy, you have a really good ceiling.”

Bailey and Pierce also alluded to Harris’ above-average scoring in mental tests and personality evaluations. Pierce said that throughout the evaluation process, Harris was a prospect who, if a coach or scout reached out wanting to have a conversation, he’d call them immediately.

“He’s mature, he has it figured out. He has a why, he’s a genuine person,” Pierce said. “You see all of those things (and) hear all of those things. You get a feel for it when you speak to him. It just really checks the box … (Reports on) him in school, with coaches and all of the staff, it checks off when you talk to him as well. He was an easy interview.”

Harris will still have a long developmental journey ahead and especially so when the pads finally go on in training camp and the real work begins. But Pierce has been scouting and evaluating players for the Rams for over six years, and from that first red zone play over two years ago until the Rams sent in the draft card at about 10:44 a.m. on that Saturday, he has had a feeling in his gut about Harris and his potential.

“You study thousands of players, and you look back 10 years from now and you automatically know those guys,” Pierce said. “In essence, sometimes I call them ‘unicorns.'”
Said Bailey, “I have (drawn) stars on my notes, like, ‘This is the guy you want to bet on.’ It’s really been, the last two years, (about) emphasizing: ‘Hey, if you’re gonna bet on a guy, bet on an athlete.’
“This is what we have with this guy. We have an athlete.”

(Photo: Conor Kvatek / Collegiate Images / Getty Images)
McVay and Phillips are spoon feeding Harris to get him on the field this year. He won't be playing as the sole TE much if at all because he won't get the blocking down in his first year, but who cares?

McVay will put him in the game as a WR or second TE in speed formations where Harris can at minimum help stress the D but also have a chance to beat the coverage for big plays.

Stay tuned, it's happening. And it's going to be fun to watch.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

Jacob Harris: Playing inline tight end is 'a whole different world'​

Rams rookie Jacob Harris generated a lot of hype during OTAs and minicamp thanks to his big frame and blazing speed. The Rams shared several videos of their fourth-round rookie making impressive grabs, using his massive catch radius to haul in passes in the end zone.

But Harris played wide receiver in college and at 215 pounds, he’s on the lighter side as he transitions to tight end. The learning curve at tight end is steep for just about every college prospect entering the NFL, and especially so for Harris.

He’s developing quickly and has picked things up in a flash, but Harris admitted playing inline tight end is a different animal than lining up outside as a receiver.

“It’s going good. I’m learning a lot. A lot of football – more football than I could’ve imagined I could learn,” Harris said. “So it’s pretty cool being in that room, getting comfortable in a three-point stance and whatnot. Being comfortable next to the O-line in that world. It’s a whole different world in there, but I’m taking it day by day and I’m learning a lot and I feel like I’m picking it up pretty quickly.”

Sean McVay has been very impressed with Harris so far. Harris has earned first-team reps at tight end already during Tyler Higbee’s absence, with McVay calling the rookie “a great addition to that room.”

Of course, Harris hasn’t even put pads on and practice has been without contact so far, but that will change when training camp starts up in late July. That will be when McVay and the coaches really get to see whether Harris will contribute as a rookie tight end or if he still has a long way to go.

“We all understand it’s about when you put the pads on and how that truly translates, but I think it’s because he’s earned it and I’ve been very pleased with him,” McVay said. “He’s smart, he’s conscientious and he’s done a great job improving throughout.”

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
Let's look beyond the offseason hype for a minute please. Last year we heard how advanced Jefferson was and this year he admits his head was spinning all year, learning from mistakes. And he is the son of an NFL lifer--WR and Coach. Jefferson was raised in the game and still took a year to grasp the playbook.

Gerald Everett is instructive here. He was drafted early by this regime and even he was talking about how he and Higbee could become the best TE duo in the league. He even flashed several awesome plays with his athleticism. But he rarely saw the field as he would never be a better blocker than Higs, never a better receiving option than Kupp (thus the overuse of 11 personnel), and truth be told...he never absorbed the playbook to McVay's standards so he was limited to the few plays he could grasp where he was schemed for success. That's why he wasn't re signed.

With that said, Harris is an interesting case. His role this year will primarily be on ST and we can all appreciate the need for that group to improve. Mundt will likely be that second blocking TE when the run is paramount to success for the offense. Harris simply lacks the bulk and experience to be an effective inline blocker at this stage. He probably will grasp the playbook better than Everett over time. He may even have a handful of splash plays during the season filling Everett's role. Those are high aspirations for a developmental rookie project. But I appreciate the narrative that he can develop into a special weapon over time. If he has the mental acuity, emotional persistence, and develops his bulk and power...he could become the next Antonio Gates. In his first year, Gates caught 24 passes for 389 yards and two touchdowns. He made the big leaps in his second and third years on the way to All Pro status from UDRFA. Hundreds of players have been drafted since then to replicate that kind of development with sugar plum fairy articles written in their first training camps. Almost none of those panned out.

I remember when the Rams drafted Adam Carriker and the reports that he was ragdolling OLinemen in training camp. But he couldn't stay healthy and had a below average career.

Harris has the athletic profile to become special. McVay is creative enough to form a significant role for him in this offense. But there's a mountain of work to be done and he is at the base of Everest where thousands have begun, but few have scaled. As fans...all we can do is hope as the rigors of the task will test his fortitude. Fingers crossed...

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
Kid looks WAAY heavier than 215 to me. The frame is there for another 30lbs easily if they want it. It will be super interesting to see how they develop him. I would like to see what he would move like with another 20lbs on him.
Me, I would want him to keep his weight where it is. This could be the guy we have all wanted. Big, super fast and a 50/50 ball catcher. Just coach him up and we have the game changer. Don't change him to a big TE. Keep him at mismatch receiver and stress the D with what he is. Also lets keep it simple so he can get on the field early and often.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
The only flashes I ever saw from Everett in camp were in the form of some contested catches. He never actually separated from or smoked DBs in a way that was noteworthy. But it's true that OTAs may be giving this guy a huge boost due to how well suited he is for them. I mean the guy is a giant string bean who can flat leave dudes in his dust.

I'm content to wait and see with him. But I will also admit that I am expecting to feel him this year a bit on the field. I think he's going to make some plays for us, won't be a ton of them or anything crazy but he'll be in redzone units and will have some schemed throws vs certain coverages/matchups.

And just that is exciting to me. Look at our TE history. It just feels really good to see a true weapon brought in at this position even with the understanding it's gonna take some time for him to fully develop.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
It’s now up to Harris, really. All depends on how fast he grasps things and how hard he works.

He sure seems to have the athleticism and football instincts.

One thing we can all be damned sure of. With a HC like McVay and a QB like Stafford the Harris kid won’t lack for opportunities.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
I'll hold my opinions until next off-season. Even then I'll still hold back. Players take time to develop in most circumstances. Time will tell

SanAnRam

Just an educated redneck
Let's see them in pads first before any anointing.
Had a lot of these 'look good against air' in the past (insert name).
But...
It would be sweet if he quickly makes us forget the JAG in Seattle.
Less than 2 months!!!!

ArkyRamsFan

Pro Bowler
Things I want to hear about Harris by Week One:
"I can't cover him" ~ Ramsey
Loyal,
Gotta disagree with you here. That is something I never want to hear from Jalen, ever. I want our Number One shut down corner to be just that - against all comers.

~ArkyRamsFan~