Inside Linebacker....

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LA_Rams_#29

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
LA Rams 29
it was interesting to see Kiser and Jones get some run together yesterday. Travin Howard has been getting some run as well..

I'm not sure if they're planning on going with Reeder and Young as the starters...but honestly Kiser and Jones may be the group with the most upside. Kiser wasn't a world better last year but when he was healthy, we had a pretty solid run..and we were the #1 defense....

I think we have a talented group...but I'm curious which two are going to start the season as starters...

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
it was interesting to see Kiser and Jones get some run together yesterday. Travin Howard has been getting some run as well..

I'm not sure if they're planning on going with Reeder and Young as the starters...but honestly Kiser and Jones may be the group with the most upside. Kiser wasn't a world better last year but when he was healthy, we had a pretty solid run..and we were the #1 defense....

I think we have a talented group...but I'm curious which two are going to start the season as starters...
Some here said it is Reeder and Young at the beginning of this season. Taliban or someone said it.

JRobinson

MiLB
I believe it will be Reeder and Jones. Jones is superior to Kiser and Howard at this point. Doesnt mean Howard isnt ahead of him on the depth chart, but Id think we'd be kidding ourselves if we didnt think that Jones has made a case to start week one. Reeder appears to have taken a step via camp reports and Jones is simply putting on some solid tape.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
Its Reeder and Young, both aren't playing in the preseason games. McVay doesn't play his starters in preseason so it's pretty much set it stone in my opinion. I do think eventually Jones will overtake one of them to become a starter. Kiser or Howard might not make the cut this year.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
I wonder if Kiser durability record has a play in him getting cut. Maybe he ends up on our PS

Psycho_X

Legend

Some here said it is Reeder and Young at the beginning of this season. Taliban or someone said it.

Yeah, Aqib Talib said on the quick pregame chat between him and Siciliano that Reeder and Young had the starting ILB'er job all but wrapped up with Jones as the top reserve. So Kiser and Howard were going to play a lot and be competing for that last spot the rest of the preseason. So far I see Kiser a lot from play to play but Howard has actually made a few plays. Don't remember Kiser making a tackle this week but Howard was there on several. But neither have really separated themselves from the other so far in my mind. Both are injury prone too. Might come down to next week for which one goes.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Yeah, Aqib Talib said on the quick pregame chat between him and Siciliano that Reeder and Young had the starting ILB'er job all but wrapped up with Jones as the top reserve. So Kiser and Howard were going to play a lot and be competing for that last spot the rest of the preseason. So far I see Kiser a lot from play to play but Howard has actually made a few plays. Don't remember Kiser making a tackle this week but Howard was there on several. But neither have really separated themselves from the other so far in my mind. Both are injury prone too. Might come down to next week for which one goes.
Howard recorded two solo tackles and Kiser recorded one assisted tackle.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
With the projected starters and top reserves (excluding rookies) not dressing, and that includes Reeder and Young, I guess that translates to them as the projected starters inside.

Color me surprised, especially about Reeder who I think of as high-effort but athletically-limited. A healthy Kiser is better in my opinion.

dang

Legend
2 months ago I was banging the table to trade Young, pick up a vet FA ILB (e.g. KJ Wright) and designate Reeder to a depth ILB role.
I am a Rams fan for life but know snd see very little regarding player development/ progression. I will gladly eat crow if Young/Reeder start and elevate their play from average to good. It does look like Kiser/Howard are battling gor the final ILB slot. I will also hope to see Jones develop into a very good ILB over the next 2 years as it’s been awhile since the Rams have had one.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I felt like Reeder grew significantly from game to game last year. Physically, he's at least at Kiser's level and plays faster now, from what I've seen.
I think we see a decent mix of the top for ILBs this season... Young, Reeder, Howard and Jones.

oldnotdead

Legend
Too many people rely upon PFF grades for their opinions. But it's been proven by too many examples that their ratings don't reflect their actual play. Hell, they rated Austin Blythe as the top OL on the Rams last year. Anyone who watched the Rams knows that wasn't even near reality. If it was he would be starting at center instead of fighting for a backup job in KC.

Reeder played far better than most contend. People don't factor into the equation that on too many plays Reeder was the box, so teams ran. In other words you need to factor in Staley's pass centric scheme. Defending the run was secondary on most alignments. So people downgrade players because of a lack of understanding of the scheme's objectives and how it's actually played.

It's no secret that Staley played a lot of cover 6. As such there were many snaps where only the MLB was on the field with OLBs or safeties aligned where the MO & SAM would play. Both of the OLBs (or safeties) would drop into short zone coverage on both boundaries leaving the MIKE to drop into a short middle zone with primary run coverage of all 4 inside gaps. This is exactly why the Rams weren't overly concerned about the ILB position last year.

From reports Gervase and Rapp will play the roles of the MO & SAM on many snaps, continuing the Staley concept, just varying the player types used. This strengthens the Ram short coverages outside but at the expense of the run defense. Both Staley and Morris will depend upon the DL to correctly read run or pass and adjust their play accordingly backed up by the MIKE.

In this scheme, Reeder played as well as you would expect a single ILB to play. Again he wasn't a full-time player as he rotated with Young who also played better than most on this board contend. Go ahead and extrapolate Reeder's production if he were a full-time player and you will be shocked how well he matches up with the better MIKE LBs who for the most part are playing in a more conventional scheme.

It's why I'm one of those that expect Morris to employ much of Staley's concepts but will experiment with different player combinations, hence his playing Rapp and Gervase as inside the box MO ILBs. It's why the Rams drafted Jones who in some ways is less athletic than Reeder. That said he's more than athletic enough to play that single MIKE in a cover 6 which relies heavily upon the MIKE to make the proper read. This is why I see Reeder and Jones in rotation at MIKE to keep each fresh and I can see them both playing side by side instead of a SAM OLB. In Morris' defense, I don't see starters and backups in that front 7. I see different rotational combinations used in a variety of sub-packages depending upon down and distances. In that regard, I personally see Reeder & Young as last year with Jones & probably Howard as the rotational pair. That said I see both Reeder and Jones getting more snaps than Young and Howard.

The advantages of Morris playing OLBs at MO and SAM are since in a hybrid scheme many times that would give a scheme advantage to the defense in the pass rush. OLs won't know which of the OLBs aligned outside would be rushing making them a step slow in their blocking. But it will also funnel runs inside so those OLBs playing as ILBs need to be able to flow quickly to the B gaps.

I think Morris will play a SS to replace the MO ILB retaining the OLB to play behind the JACK as the SAM ILB. Morris could also play Reeder as the SAM and Jones as the MIKE something I think they were experimenting with during this preseason. This is why I think we could see both Reeder and Jones on the field as the only 2 ILBs.

Morris has a wealth of possible combinations. What I see from Morris is a lot of cover 2, 3 and 6. Remember the Steelers also run a lot of cover 6. I think Morris will retain the concept of playing zone until a receiver enters that zone then the DB or LB carries him in man coverage. This will require the safeties to emphasize their support when a LB is in coverage which is advantage Rams as they have good safety depth for that.

Run defense may remain a soft spot but that will depend upon how Morris plays his other schemes and the alignments and players he uses. Like most DCs I see him using a lot of sub-packages so even the new guys like Jones, and Bobby Brown are likely to see a lot of snaps.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Kiser's gonna be odd man out at ILB. We're 3 deep with Reeder/Jones/Kiser and Kiser is the smallest and least athletic of the three. He's also been moved opposite Jones which demonstrates Jones is ahead of him and rightly so.

Kiser basically is an instinctive player who lacks ideal size/speed/strength. He's a two down guy. So the moment they drafted Jones he was done IMO.

Young opposite Reeder annoys the crap out of me. But I feel like that spot will be trumped by DBs in a lot of packages so whatever. If it were me I'd only keep 3x ILBs (Reeder/Young/Jones). And I'd have Rapp starting as a nickelbacker opposite Reeder. But if the Rams think Rapp can do the safety thing in this scheme so be it.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
When you have all these special real good playing safeties as DC Morris has......I am sure with all his secondary NFL coaching experience he is going to utilize them.

You just CAN NOT release a DB strong safety or MO ILB'er like JR Reed in favor of an ILB'er like Micah Kiser or Travin Howard with all their injury concerns & lack of ability to remain physically able to play foe multiole seasons. I am sure that SS Jake Gervase (who Mcvay really likes) & SS Taylor Rapp all play heavy into the MO ILB'er equation.

Does anyone think that Kiser/Roseboom & Howard will really be in big demand after the final cuts take place? There is a very good chance all three will be available lurking in WWC land for a period of time before getting any calls.

I should also remind myself that both OLB'ers Justin Hollins & Leonard Floyd have lined up many times in the inside LB positions when needed during their NFL playing seasons. So if Morris were to just keep 3 ILB'ers & go HD in safeties who just make plays wherever you place them (Rapp/ Reed/ Burgess/ Fuller/ Gervase) this Ram defense will still be in fine shape! PLAYMAKERS!

Last edited:

HellRam

Starter
I'd rather have Kiser and Burgess starting over Reeder and Rapp. Before Kiser got hurt (again) he was really trending up and becoming a solid LB.

Reeder has his moments but he's also out of place on many plays as well. Against SF for example he always seems way over matched with that teams skill set. The Rams appear to be high on him though.

Tano

Legend
I'd rather have Kiser and Burgess starting over Reeder and Rapp. Before Kiser got hurt (again) he was really trending up and becoming a solid LB.

Reeder has his moments but he's also out of place on many plays as well. Against SF for example he always seems way over matched with that teams skill set. The Rams appear to be high on him though.
And they were high on Blythe before last season

Reeder is probably going to be the guy this year that I am going to harp on

There is always one guy during the year

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Kiser's gonna be odd man out at ILB. We're 3 deep with Reeder/Jones/Kiser and Kiser is the smallest and least athletic of the three. He's also been moved opposite Jones which demonstrates Jones is ahead of him and rightly so.

Kiser basically is an instinctive player who lacks ideal size/speed/strength. He's a two down guy. So the moment they drafted Jones he was done IMO.

Young opposite Reeder annoys the crap out of me. But I feel like that spot will be trumped by DBs in a lot of packages so whatever. If it were me I'd only keep 3x ILBs (Reeder/Young/Jones). And I'd have Rapp starting as a nickelbacker opposite Reeder. But if the Rams think Rapp can do the safety thing in this scheme so be it.
Kiser is a nice player on a mediocre team. He would be a team stand out in St Louis circa 2014. However, we can do better there now and especially since he is on the last yr of his deal. Would be foolish to cut a promising rookie or 2nd yr guy for him since he will be gone in a yr.

oldnotdead

Legend
You can't count on Kiser simply because he's injury-prone. They are already carrying Lewis, they don't need another. Reeder has outplayed Kiser, as has Howard. IMO Kiser is gone next year anyway, Jones is his replacement and Jones is playing well.

I agree keeping a Reed, Hall, or Hughes makes more sense than a 4th ILB when they at most will play 20% of the snaps.

Bobby Brown is flashing exactly why they drafted him. He's Robinson's and SJD's eventual replacement. Robinson for cap reasons and SJD is in my opinion being kept this year on the roster to garner a comp pick.

As long as Snead continues to draft as well as this year there will always be roster turnover. Starting next year that turnover will be cap driven which is why there needs to be solid young guys coming up on the roster.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
I am sure that SS Jake Gervase (who Mcvay really likes) & SS Taylor Rapp all play heavy into the MO ILB'er equation.
Have we seen anything about Rapp in that position? Most of the things I have read state he's the other safety opposite Fuller. I could have missed something though. It was reported before OTAs that Gervase had bulked up and officially moved to ILB, he's not apart of the S group. He's not going to make the final roster, again.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

Not sure why you're pairing Kiser & Burgess vs Reeder & Rapp. You can argue both individually and be better served that way IMO. But Reeder was simply better last year over a good sample size. He's flawed though, which is why they drafted Jones and why Jones will start probably by midseason.

Rapp has had some issues with his decision making. That's the thing you can't measure with safeties unfortunately. I think he's a stud in the box. But over the top oh boy. IMO he will settle in as a nickelbacker for us this season. Rams just gotta find their way there IMO.

HellRam

Starter
Not sure why you're pairing Kiser & Burgess vs Reeder & Rapp. You can argue both individually and be better served that way IMO. But Reeder was simply better last year over a good sample size. He's flawed though, which is why they drafted Jones and why Jones will start probably by midseason.

Rapp has had some issues with his decision making. That's the thing you can't measure with safeties unfortunately. I think he's a stud in the box. But over the top oh boy. IMO he will settle in as a nickelbacker for us this season. Rams just gotta find their way there IMO.

I disagree Reeder was better. He had more flash plays around the los but I also saw him fill the wrong gaps more then Kiser. Reeder was awful in the playoff game in GB as well. I just don't see the Reeder hype at all. I think you get more consistent play with Kiser.

As for the safeties I agree. I'd like to see...

Fuller FS
Burgess SS
Rapp box safety