In need of WR help...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
AKA...

Will we see more of Brian Quick in 2013-14?

We all know that the Rams could do with help at WR, Givens came through nicely in his rookie year - i think, please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, he was the second rated (#46 overall) Rookie WR in 2012, only Blackmon was ranked higher (#26) which is great going, We all know what Danny can do (especially if healthy) and Gibson also stepped up - all 3 combining for over 2000 yards and I know it would be great to pull in a safe #1 WR but surely we have Brian Quick who should, by this season, be NFL ready?

Do you guys think that he's going to be a big player in the 2013-14 season? or is he just going to be an also-ran in our ranks?

I'd love to see a Ram WR clear 1350+ yards next year or even 2 over 1000!

kohhwf

UDFA
Brian Quick is an interesting player. It is impossible to determine how good of a player he is capable of being. There are several players who have been taken by smaller schools and have succeeded in the NFL so there is hope with Brian. A common comparison to Quick is Vincent Jackson since they both had a very marginal first season in the league.

The Rams remain confident in reports that Quick is going to be a very good player in this league and reporters continue to say he impresses with great catches during practice. I am very hopeful he will become a good player in the NFL, but after one season in the league I think it is incredibly difficult to try to forecast a player like Quick with his background.

He didn't play much high school football. Then he goes to a small school, which does not run anything close to a pro style offense in which he does not have to read defenses or learn many routes. Then he goes to the NFL and is trying to learn a new, much more difficult offense while playing much more talented competition.

His background along with his physical attributes makes it easy to understand while it might take him longer to adjust to the NFL. It makes it easy to say in a couple years he will be a very good receiver in the NFL. It might not be this upcoming season where we find out how good he can be. He could end up being a complete bust.

It's hard for me to wait since I am an impatient person and I am longing for the Rams to have a top end weapons for Bradford and this offense, but I don't think we will know about Quick for maybe 2 years. All we can do is trust the coaching staff and wait.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I think Quick is going to be a big part of the offense this season. I think he will still be behind Givens though.

I get the impression that the Rams are gearing up for life after Danny. As much as I like Danny, I think his agent is thinking higher value than his ability to stay on the field would suggest.

I wouldn't be surprised if we go harder after Gibby than we do Danny. I think DA is the better receiver and I realize many around here think Gibby is a scrub but I frankly don't see it that way. For the most part, Gibby runs good routes and makes some pretty hard catches. Yeah he can frustrate at times but he was our go to guy in several games last season, plays taller than his height would suggest, is tough, a workout warrior, has a relationship with Sam, and hasn't fumbled the ball in three years.

IMO, Brandon gives us options. If we lose Danny, we have Pettis to take much of the slot duties. We have Givens to stretch the field, and a big body in Quick. We could go after a #1 like Cordarelle and give him a year or so to become what many expect. Quick may have been slow on the uptake but I definitely saw some flashes with him. I could certainly see a WR corp of Quick emerging as that big target with Gibby being a work horse role player while Givens stretches the field and Pettis coming in at slot and 4 receiver sets.

IMO - if Patterson is available, it would be hard to pass. But beefing up our line should take priority. I may be in the minority but I think our receiver corp is going to be pretty good if we are able to hold onto Gibby. Give Sam a clean pocket and some holes for the running game to exploit and I think we will see a whole new level of offense.

Ram_of_Old

A quality wideout and a rework of the O line. That is what we need most.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
kohhwf said:
Brian Quick is an interesting player. It is impossible to determine how good of a player he is capable of being. There are several players who have been taken by smaller schools and have succeeded in the NFL so there is hope with Brian. A common comparison to Quick is Vincent Jackson since they both had a very marginal first season in the league.

It's hard for me to wait since I am an impatient person and I am longing for the Rams to have a top end weapons for Bradford and this offense, but I don't think we will know about Quick for maybe 2 years. All we can do is trust the coaching staff and wait.

I do trust the coaching staff, but, I'm also impatient, he is after all a professional sportsman on a good wage ($1.224) surely, anyone will expect to see results after an intensive year of top-end coaching? It's bound to wear thin with Givens if he keeps improving and he's still on around $600k.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that the Rams aren't in a position to be able to wait, it's not like we have 2 or 3 top-tier receivers that we can develop Quick in the background, we're a team that needs production from it's higher paid players...

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
RamFan503 said:
I think Quick is going to be a big part of the offense this season. I think he will still be behind Givens though. I get the impression that the Rams are gearing up for life after Danny. As much as I like Danny, I think his agent is thinking higher value than his ability to stay on the field would suggest.

I wouldn't be surprised if we go harder after Gibby than we do Danny. I think DA is the better receiver and I realize many around here think Gibby is a scrub but I frankly don't see it that way.

Give Sam a clean pocket and some holes for the running game to exploit and I think we will see a whole new level of offense.

I have to agree with you here - Ii love Danny and his workrate, he's a good receiver, and has a connection with Sam, but, he IS an injury risk, and I can't see him playing every game in a season again, I know what it's like, the more injuries you get, the more injured you get.

I also think his agent (remember the Titus Young comments!) could be pushing for far too much money. I have a feeling his agent it trying for top dollar for Danny, which I don't think he can command, from ANY team and I know Coach Fisher won't be held over a barrel - the team has greater needs than one slot receiver.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Ram_of_Old said:

Do you think we could we go for someone like Dwayne Bowe?

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
shaunpinney said:
Ram_of_Old said:

Oh hell no. For one thing Bowe is overrated and two he'll cost a lot more than Danny.

It's a damned if you do, damned if you don't. Rams need a WR but need to be careful in not overpaying putting all that money in one player.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Angry Ram said:
shaunpinney said:
Ram_of_Old said:

Oh hell no. For one thing Bowe is overrated and two he'll cost a lot more than Danny.

It's a damned if you do, damned if you don't. Rams need a WR but need to be careful in not overpaying putting all that money in one player.

Yeah - I'd be shocked if we went after Bowe. If they do, they clearly see more upside than I do. Of course that means nothing. But with the limited cap space we have available, I just don't see them going after someone who is perceived to have a low commitment level in search of a huge payday. It may be a moot point anyway as the Chiefs are rumored to be considering placing the franchise tag on him again.

kohhwf

UDFA
shaunpinney said:
kohhwf said:

I do trust the coaching staff, but, I'm also impatient, he is after all a professional sportsman on a good wage ($1.224) surely, anyone will expect to see results after an intensive year of top-end coaching? It's bound to wear thin with Givens if he keeps improving and he's still on around $600k.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that the Rams aren't in a position to be able to wait, it's not like we have 2 or 3 top-tier receivers that we can develop Quick in the background, we're a team that needs production from it's higher paid players...

I agree with you on wanting him to prove his worth earlier than later and that the Rams need him to develop quicker than he did his first year. I am sure the coaching staff is working very hard to get him to speed.

I guess my main point is there is no way of forecasting for a player like Quick with him being a raw athlete and the WR position being hard to learn in the NFL. As none of us are able to watch him practice it is impossible for us to look into the future and say what he will and won't be. Even Fisher and Snead (with all their access and resources) can tell for certain what he will become. No one will know what Quick is until he goes onto the the game field and proves it.

We could talk about his future forever, but the truth is we have no idea. I cannot say whether or not he will be a bust or be a Pro Bowler. There are points to be made for against his success, but only time will tell.

Ram_of_Old

Angry Ram said:
shaunpinney said:
Ram_of_Old said:

Free agency might be the way to go. From what I am seeing, there may not be a quality wideout in the draft, at least not one that we will get to.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Ram_of_Old said:
Free agency might be the way to go. From what I am seeing, there may not be a quality wideout in the draft, at least not one that we will get to.

I think we've got a couple of rookies in Quick and Givens, picking up a decent FA option would be a safer, less troublesome route, its a shame Titus Young didn't pan out...

Afro Ram

Pro Bowler
It doesn't look like there is much hope in landing a big name receiver this year. The money just isn't there.

I do think the Rams could still upgrade in FA without spending over the top money. I'm surprised knowone's mentioned guys like Brian Hartline or Miles Austin as valid options. Both these guys would be an upgrade over the previous players and are still young. I think Brandon Gibson is a good solid receiver, but honestly don't want to see him as a Ram long term. Nothing personal to the guy, I just think the Rams can do better and he's probably about hit his ceiling.

To me it is a very scary situation going into next year with two second year players and a third year player at receiver. If this team is going to win more games the offense has to score more points and right now the front office has a lot of work to do with very limited money.

Here's hoping Fisher can pull off a miracle.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Afro Ram said:
It doesn't look like there is much hope in landing a big name receiver this year. The money just isn't there.

I do think the Rams could still upgrade in FA without spending over the top money. I'm surprised knowone's mentioned guys like Brian Hartline or Miles Austin as valid options. Both these guys would be an upgrade over the previous players and are still young. I think Brandon Gibson is a good solid receiver, but honestly don't want to see him as a Ram long term. Nothing personal to the guy, I just think the Rams can do better and he's probably about hit his ceiling.

To me it is a very scary situation going into next year with two second year players and a third year player at receiver. If this team is going to win more games the offense has to score more points and right now the front office has a lot of work to do with very limited money.

I'd be surprised if Hartline leaves Miami, but I also think he's hit his ceiling last year.... Austin is a good call tho - but I have a feeling we'll be picking up a TE in FA this year my bet is either Jared Cook or Dustin Keller - I think Cook may be the man....

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
shaunpinney said:
Ram_of_Old said:

I think we've got a couple of rookies in Quick and Givens, picking up a decent FA option would be a safer, less troublesome route, its a shame Titus Young didn't pan out...

Two words - Drew Bennett. He had "all the tools and put up big numbers when he had consistent QB play." Sound like someone who's name keeps coming up? I would love to have a "real #1" receiver but if we have what looks like about $10 mil in cap space, do you think the wisest use of likely $9 mil of that is on a receiver who tallied about a buck more yards and two less TDs than Brandon Gibson did for us last year?

If we go that route, I'll get squarely behind the player. I'd love nothing better than for us as a team to be able to finally check that position off the list for a few years. It most certainly has been too long in coming.

I just don't think it is a lock that a FA makes the kind of impact we are all hoping for. Yeah - KC sucked out loud last year so maybe you can't blame Bowe at all. But the number of FAs that didn't work out in a different system is long and anything but a guarantee of success.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
shaunpinney said:
Afro Ram said:

I'd be surprised if Hartline leaves Miami, but I also think he's hit his ceiling last year.... Austin is a good call tho - but I have a feeling we'll be picking up a TE in FA this year my bet is either Jared Cook or Dustin Keller - I think Cook may be the man....

I think you may be right there. I just don't think we go after any of the high end FAs at ANY position. Hate to say it but I think Austin is also likely out of our salary range.

I think we are really looking at mostly complimentary players in FA this season.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Keenan Allen and Tavon Austin will contribute right away IMO, wherever they land.

If the Rams need immediate help at WR from the draft, which it looks like they will, I think these are the two most ready/able to make an impact quick.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
I'd love to see Austin in the Blue and Gold - I also think he'd be a HUGE asset on PR & KR duties...

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
CGI_Ram said:
Keenan Allen and Tavon Austin will contribute right away IMO, wherever they land.

If the Rams need immediate help at WR from the draft, which it looks like they will, I think these are the two most ready/able to make an impact quick.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

In his Combine presser he said his favorite team is the patsies. Just sayin' :amped: