I'm not sure Coach Fisher is the answer because...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You can't ever loose a game at home when you are up 21-0. There is no excuse.

But hey, the Rams are the youngest team in the league for
like the 24th season in a row. Fisher is doing a hell of a job!

Manning and the Broncos lost a game where they were up 24-0 to the Patriots last year. The Patriots and Brady lost to Manning and the Colts in the AFCCG after going up 21-3.

Shit happens. You move on. There is no excuse but it also is only one game and one loss. I think the fact that we were up 21-0 in the first place has to, at least, bode somewhat well for a team that many of us questioned after the Bucs got stomped by Atlanta.

We shat the bed against Dallas, still put up 31 points, and only lost due to our own stupid mistakes(with the help of the refs). Yea, we lost but I didn't expect to win this one...even before Sam got hurt. So I guess I'm not as depressed as everyone else.

moklerman

Warner-phile
Hard to feel supportive of this staff right now. Clutching defeat from the jaws of victory is never the sign of a good coach.

Jeff Fisher is a defensive HC and this defense is just average(at best). Knowing when to kick a FG and when to go for it on 4th down is a very definitive measure of a good HC.

Player evaluation has been pretty spotty too. The o-line, receivers, TE's...a lot of swings and misses.

Overall, I'm not overly impressed after 2+ years. Some positive credit is deserved but I can't think of any real home run results from this staff. I gave Fisher the benefit of doubt, thinking that his time in Tennessee was hampered by a meddling owner but there's no excuse now. Poor planning, poor personnel and coaching hires and shaky drafts are all adding up against Fisher right now.

theramsruleUK

Pro Bowler
Manning and the Broncos lost a game where they were up 24-0 to the Patriots last year. The Patriots and Brady lost to Manning and the Colts in the AFCCG after going up 21-3.

crap happens. You move on. There is no excuse but it also is only one game and one loss. I think the fact that we were up 21-0 in the first place has to, at least, bode somewhat well for a team that many of us questioned after the Bucs got stomped by Atlanta.

We shat the bed against Dallas, still put up 31 points, and only lost due to our own stupid mistakes(with the help of the refs). Yea, we lost but I didn't expect to win this one...even before Sam got hurt. So I guess I'm not as depressed as everyone else.

Just out of curiosity, what games do you expect us to win? I'm not expecting us to win anything atm. These next 8 games will be brutal. We'll be lucky to win 3 I reckon :/

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Knowing when to kick a FG and when to go for it on 4th down is a very definitive measure of a good HC.

The Rams made the right call there. Schotty just made a poor decision. He got cute when it wasn't needed. Should have run a QB sneak or straight power football behind the left side of the OL.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Just out of curiosity, what games do you expect us to win? I'm not expecting us to win anything atm. These next 8 games could be brutal. We'll be lucky to win 3

Right now? I don't know. Any given Sunday. We're capable of beating any of those teams and losing to any of them. Defense needs to get its shit together.

BriansRams

"Rams next Superbowl is 2023 season." - (Oct 2022)
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Any given Sunday. We're capable of beating any of those teams and losing to any of them.
Um, "capable" isn't enough. We need to actually beat all these teams we speak of. I hate hearing stuff like "we beat ourselves today, we're better than that team." Um no, if we lost the game to that team then the other team beat us, and we were NOT better than them. And that seems to keep on happening. I'm at a loss for words with the Rams. I hate this. The Rams are so overdue for a winning, successful season, but it's just not happening. :(

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Um, "capable" isn't enough. We need to actually beat all these teams we speak of. I hate hearing stuff like "we beat ourselves today, we're better than that team." Um no, if we lost the game to that team then the other team beat us, and we were NOT better than them. And that seems to keep on happening. I'm at a loss for words with the Rams. I hate this. The Rams are so overdue for a winning, successful season, but it's just not happening. :(

Well, we are without our starting QB, our defense is under-performing, and this team is maddeningly inconsistent. How am I supposed to predict wins and losses? We're not the Broncos or the Seahawks or the Patriots. We don't really have teams on the schedule that we will beat, teams we should beat, and teams that we may or may not beat. Every game, we have a team we may or may not beat. It makes things interesting but also frustrating...especially when our team shoots itself in the foot and loses a game it should have won.

Say what you will, we did beat ourselves today...with some help from Dallas and the refs. How did we beat ourselves?
1. Cook dropping a TD that would have put us up 28-20 instead of 24-20
2. McLeod blowing an assignment that resulted in a 68 yard TD to Bryant
3. Harkey blowing an assignment which caused a bad pass by Davis and a pick six
4. Davis getting greedy and throwing the interception on our last drive
5. Britt not running his route to the marker or turning up-field to get those 6 inches for the first down which led to a turnover on downs when we were stuffed on the next play in the red-zone
6. Scott Wells forgetting the snap count and then forgetting how to snap a football costing us our final possession at the end of the half(and likely 3 points) while giving Dallas a possession and 3 points

Should we have won this game? Yes. But we played sloppy and stupid after getting out to that 21 point lead. And worst of all, our defense seems to have forgotten how to do their job.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
For the first time since he came here, I'm starting to doubt Fisher too.
Never thought I'd see myself post that.

MerlinJones

Pro Bowler
For all of you doubters;

Jeff Fisher (and Les Snead) are without a doubt the only people in all of the NFL who are smart enough, innovative enough, and the best judges of talent and character to turn the Rams into a winning organization.

Just ask them.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
The Rams made the right call there. Schotty just made a poor decision. He got cute when it wasn't needed. Should have run a QB sneak or straight power football behind the left side of the OL.

I agree, I would have went for it too. But I certainly would not have run a slow moving play that hinged on DJ's ability to pull and get a block. Don't get all the angst over this decision. Had we kicked the field goal and missed, we'd be hearing about how he lacks the killer instinct and doesn't play to win.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Look, we knew we were in deep trouble when Sam went down. First game was a debacle, second game was a struggle, third game we blew it. I think we're on a good trend. I know the schedule gets harder, but I beleive we're getting better. Life without Sam isn't turning out to be as bad as I though, for sure.

IDK what to think about our QB position at this point...

Bluesy

Reppin' the Rams since 2000
Name
Kyle
I'm not gonna say anything about the coaching til the season is over. But if we do wind up with another mediocre season you've got to start wondering. Every analyst with half a brain realizes we have so much talent and we should be winning but we're not. I'm getting sick of hearing about potential. I want to see production.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I agree, I would have went for it too. But I certainly would not have run a slow moving play that hinged on DJ's ability to pull and get a block. Don't get all the angst over this decision. Had we kicked the field goal and missed, we'd be hearing about how he lacks the killer instinct and doesn't play to win.

Agreed totally. Joseph has no business pulling on that play. Bad play-call. Don't get cute. Run a sneak, run a FB dive or run a power play behind Saffold and Long. Don't give them a wide open gap to shoot on a play like that. Because if they shoot it, Stacy is done. I'd rather count on our OL which was moving Dallas off the LOS at the time.

Zombie Slayer

You are entitled to nothing.
Name
Dave
It has been almost a decade now since the Rams last made the playoffs. That long of a period of time has people growing frustrated and impatient, but with good reason. Throw in the worst five year stretch in nfl history too. It just sucks to see other teams continually in the playoff hunt but we can't get there. The Patriots, Steelers, Colts, Packers to name a few. Also we have seen other teams start over and rebuild and become successful in a short time. We have all witnessed a lot of teams get new coaches and do well. The Seahawks are just one example. We are so hungry for a winner but when you start approaching a decade of not being in the playoffs and you get what we have now. The best way to build a winner is to have stability. Just look at the good teams who are in it every year. Barring a complete meltdown we should let them finish out their contract. I know some people may not want to hear that but if you get a new regime after this year that will likely be a setback. I just don't know what to think. I'm just taking it week by week. This was a tough loss. But I have to say I will be disappointed if Davis is not allowed to keep starting. Hill is not a long term answer. Let's see if Davis can be.

fearsomefour

Legend
My biggest complaint with Fisher is that he just accepts the officials bending his team over week after week. He is a well respected member of the compitition committee yet the officials show him no respect.
So, you are saying a coach should be shown more respect or leeway or get special consideration because he is on the committee?

fearsomefour

Legend
I started a post weeks ago that Fisher is a franchise coach. I still feel that way.

But, he may have loyalties to coaches who are not delivering. The results are his. How does he adjust?

Last year we started slow on D and it was too late to recover. This year, same.
I like Fisher and was stoked when he was hired. I believed he was the right choice at the time. I still support him. However, obviously, there are some serious issues with this team. I missed most of the first 2 1/2 quarters of the game. The only terrible call I saw the D hold on Sims that negated a sack. The PI on Jenkins on the deep ball was PI and would have been called before the recent attempts to turn the game into flag football. I see a lot of what I certainly think is holding in every game. It seems Quinn is constantly held.
All of the whining about the officials aside.
The Rams talked about being a pound the ball team, Davis 42 pass attempts today. The D is nearly a total disappointment to me. No passrush, sloppy tackling, high completion percentage against, high run per carry.....
This team, the players and coaches, just reeks of C- to me.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I have a bad feeling lately about coach Fisher. The team does not seem to be well coached. Our Rams do not seem as disciplined as other NFL teams. I don't feel like he'll even say or do much about Cook pushing Davis, either publicly or privately.

Do any of you realize how difficult it is to LOSE a game when you are up 21-0 ? It takes a "special" team to allow that to happen. The more I see and watch Fisher's press conferences the more I worry that he's actually a pretty average coach, maybe below average. I'm tired of his attitude he has in interviews where has that "it's no big deal" attitude. To him apparently nothing is a big deal. "We'll fix that."

It's ok to be a "players coach" but you also have to take action when it's needed. Make each player, each coach, accountable for continuous bad play and play calling. Is Fisher better than the former 2 Rams coaches? Yes. But is he better than someone like Bruce Arians? No, I don't thing Fisher is. I'm worried about his overall (take everything into consideration) running of this team. What if he DIDN'T have the benefit of the extra RG3 draft picks? We'd be even worse than now.

Am I alone with this point of view about Jeff Fisher?

Well, Jeff Fisher doesn't throw bullshit penalties, bites hard on a play fake, or attempts to tackle.

We can argue back and forth for ages on if he's a good coach or not, but one thing I will highly disagree about is his attitude. He's pretty even keel, and you can't tell by his demeanor if his team won or lost. That's one thing I like about him, he doesn't go into full on panic mode or cocky mode.

I did not like it when the Rams hired Fisher but I went with the hiring with an open mind after my initial reaction.
Now I'm done with Fisher, let me count the ways.
1. Team is undisciplined and does not look well organized.
2. Bailey was not in the game today. WT?! The Rams best receiver and he is not in the game?
3. The only reason Stacy got a chance to play is Richardson and Cunningham got hurt.
4. Took more then half the year before Bailey played.
5. The players are better then this record.

1. Umm no. They were pretty well organized today. Dallas has some really good players on offense, and they are gonna get their plays. Overall they did a good job on DeMarco, Dez, Jason Witten, etc. You'd think they would have a field day, but no.

2. Well, he was actually. Besides, he isn't ready just now. He had only been practicing with the team since late in the week, barely any time to get acclimated with the offense and gameplan. With the bye week, he'll get more involved.

3. Well, Zac was also hurt early on last season. Benny Cunningham didn't really play until Chicago game.

4. ??? Rookie; he was developing and still is.

5. A myriad of other teams have the same record. Some with much better players than the Rams. It happens. For example, I didn't realize the Colts were also 1-2 after today. Green Bay looked like they were gonna romp Detroit today. Nah.

Besides, a lot of other factors go into game outcomes than just coaching. Screaming for better coaching just seems like a vague blanket statement to me.

Sleepy1711

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The problem with the "be patient with the young guys" mantra is that this is year 3 of the Fisher/Snead regime and we're seeing the same undisciplined, penalty cursed team that we saw the first two seasons. A more even mix of veterans and young players might work out better. Kenny Britt is just one example of how that can be a good thing.

I was not thrilled for the long term with the hiring of Fisher because his history speaks of who he is: a coach who can get a team into the 7-9 through 9-7 territory. This was a good hire for the short term however considering the disasters Spags and Linehan were. I'll give him this, he has made us competitive and that's a welcome thing right now.

IMO a good to great coach is one who hires the right coaching staff and then let's them do their thing with minimum oversight unless there are problems and he has to stick his nose in. He also needs to be make sure that his coaches are coming up with the right game plans. And finally he needs to be able to make proper adjustments during the game.

I don't care if the players and coaches love him or hate him. It's not a damn popularity contest. Get them to do their jobs or bench the players and fire the coaches that aren't. Vince Lombardi's players loved him because he taught them how to win. Now he was a great coach. Tom Landry, Chuck Noll, Bill Walsh, and even the hated Bill Belichick are other examples of great coaches.

Let the Fisher/Snead team do their thing until their 5-year contract is fulfilled. Maybe things will turn around. If that doesn't happen we will have to start over again from scratch. Those of us who continue to root for this team no matter what are called Ram fanatics for a reason.

It still doesn't mean they aren't young. I mean how long did it take you to learn your craft?? I bet it wasn't over the first 5 years.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
It still doesn't mean they aren't young. I mean how long did it take you to learn your craft?? I bet it wasn't over the first 5 years.

What craft is that, lol? All I suggested is that it might be better to have more of a mix of young players and veterans, mentors like Kenny Britt if you will. Ask some of the wide receivers, especially Brian Quick, how valuable that is. Look, I would rather have a young team than a bunch of over-the-hill players. We've seen that with the Rams team of the past and know it doesn't work. There's a happy medium however.