I'm not sure Coach Fisher is the answer because...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Sleepy1711

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I didn't know it was Fisher's duty to run the defense today, I get the frustration but come on. You guys are over-reacting a bit. I still think Fisher is a very good coach.

ozarkram

Hall of Shame
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I am OK with Fisher but in this division against harbaugh, carroll, arians; i will start to have my doubts about Fisher if this year we win less than 8 games
Oh my this wont end well.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
I know its been done to death but losing your starting QB changes everything. How the coach handles the adversity is the question. The defense is just a mystery to me.

It's amazing that we forget we have our 3 rd stringer in there but when he puts up a performance like he did today , and with this so-called best D line in the league you've got to hold them - it is absolutely mysterious how our greatest strength has turned into such a weakness yet our horrible O catches fire for 31
We should be victorious today

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
I still think Fisher is a very good coach.

Not being combative here but what is your opinion or anyone else's who cares to comment as to the definition of:
a) a lousy coach
b) an average coach
c) a good coach
d) a great coach

Sleepy1711

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not being combative here but what is your opinion or anyone else's who cares to comment as to the definition of:
a) a lousy coach
b) an average coach
c) a good coach
d) a great coach

a) spags,
b) linehand
c) martz
d) vermeil

He has a team that plays hard and are the youngest in the league still. I would give him more time before calling him a lousy coach. You know, maybe give the kids sometime to get comfortable in the league. You can only teach as fast as they learn.

Alan

Legend
Prime Time with an easy question:
a) a lousy coach
b) an average coach
c) a good coach
d) a great coach
a) a coach who doesn't do anything I want
b) a coach who does some of what I want
c) a coach who does almost every thing I want
d) a coach who does everything I want

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
a) spags,
b) linehand
c) martz
d) vermeil

He has a team that plays hard and are the youngest in the league still. I would give him more time before calling him a lousy coach. You know, maybe give the kids sometime to get comfortable in the league. You can only teach as fast as they learn.

The problem with the "be patient with the young guys" mantra is that this is year 3 of the Fisher/Snead regime and we're seeing the same undisciplined, penalty cursed team that we saw the first two seasons. A more even mix of veterans and young players might work out better. Kenny Britt is just one example of how that can be a good thing.

I was not thrilled for the long term with the hiring of Fisher because his history speaks of who he is: a coach who can get a team into the 7-9 through 9-7 territory. This was a good hire for the short term however considering the disasters Spags and Linehan were. I'll give him this, he has made us competitive and that's a welcome thing right now.

IMO a good to great coach is one who hires the right coaching staff and then let's them do their thing with minimum oversight unless there are problems and he has to stick his nose in. He also needs to be make sure that his coaches are coming up with the right game plans. And finally he needs to be able to make proper adjustments during the game.

I don't care if the players and coaches love him or hate him. It's not a damn popularity contest. Get them to do their jobs or bench the players and fire the coaches that aren't. Vince Lombardi's players loved him because he taught them how to win. Now he was a great coach. Tom Landry, Chuck Noll, Bill Walsh, and even the hated Bill Belichick are other examples of great coaches.

Let the Fisher/Snead team do their thing until their 5-year contract is fulfilled. Maybe things will turn around. If that doesn't happen we will have to start over again from scratch. Those of us who continue to root for this team no matter what are called Ram fanatics for a reason.

RamGal

UDFA
I have a bad feeling lately about coach Fisher. The team does not seem to be well coached. Our Rams do not seem as disciplined as other NFL teams. I don't feel like he'll even say or do much about Cook pushing Davis, either publicly or privately.

Do any of you realize how difficult it is to LOSE a game when you are up 21-0 ? It takes a "special" team to allow that to happen. The more I see and watch Fisher's press conferences the more I worry that he's actually a pretty average coach, maybe below average. I'm tired of his attitude he has in interviews where has that "it's no big deal" attitude. To him apparently nothing is a big deal. "We'll fix that."

It's ok to be a "players coach" but you also have to take action when it's needed. Make each player, each coach, accountable for continuous bad play and play calling. Is Fisher better than the former 2 Rams coaches? Yes. But is he better than someone like Bruce Arians? No, I don't thing Fisher is. I'm worried about his overall (take everything into consideration) running of this team. What if he DIDN'T have the benefit of the extra RG3 draft picks? We'd be even worse than now.

Am I alone with this point of view about Jeff Fisher?

I think JF was the best hire at the time and the Rams HAVE made progress under his lead. The instability of the defensive coaching position (Williams in/Williams out/Williams back in again) is a big factor. I also don't like the last draft as much as some of the so-called "experts" did -- esp. the Robinson and Mason picks. This picks didn't help close the gap on Seattle. Finally, I don't get the logic of being the youngest team in the NFL for the third straight year. What IS the point of this strategy? In Year THREE, it's time to WIN.

ozarkram

Hall of Shame
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I guess the true measure of a great coach is wins. But Coryell IMO was great but one sided. Shula was prefect so great. Bum built some great teams but couldn't get passed the Steelers, Allen was great but to ridged. My point greatness comes in different flavors. Fisher is not yet great.

vdesai

UDFA
I've been lurking on the boards for awhile, but there is no reason to turn on a coach this quickly. Especially a coach who has shown he is competent and a coach that players want to play for. I think the most important part of a coaches job is to get the most out of his players and Fisher has done that. Penalties aren't due to lack of discipline they are due to lack of experience. We aren't seeing the personal foul penalties we would usually see. Personal foul penalties are what can be prevented by coaching. The DPI penalties cannot. Those are, because our secondary got beat and they will do anything in hopes that they can get away with it. The horse-collar tackles were likely due to frustration. Outside of the first game players have seemed ready and competent. The defense has been struggling, but with not getting the holding calls on the D line that is to be expected. You can't turn on a guy that quickly. He has done the best he can with what he had to work with and we are finally seeing improvement.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Penalties aren't due to lack of discipline they are due to lack of experience.

First of all, welcome to ROD. Hope you enjoy it here.

I would say that penalties are absolutely due to a lack of discipline. The fundamentals of blocking, tackling, and avoiding dumb penalties are taught from Pop Warner football and up and then reinforced at the high school, college, and pro levels. Getting beat is one thing but getting beat through sloppy play falls on the shoulders of the coaching staff. I would love to be a fly on the wall during the upcoming Gregg Williams meetings with his players.

BriansRams

"Rams next Superbowl is 2023 season." - (Oct 2022)
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
He has done the best he can with what he had to work with and we are finally seeing improvement.

Hi. I'm definitely not being sarcastic or trying to over argue, but...

Year 1 = 7-8-1
Year 2 = 7-9
Year 3 so far = 1-2 (two losses to very beatable teams)

Now we are starting a VERY TOUGH 6 game stretch. Wins and Losses is all that matters in the NFL.

So, what improvement are you seeing that I'm missing?

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Fisher is fine, it's rather impressive he's playing competitive with a 3rd string QB. Our defensive woes stem from the lack of continuity with our DCs. His first was a committee-based approach, 2nd was Walton, and now we have Williams. Give the defense time to mesh together, continuity can do wonders for a team, just ask our offense today.

If any of our coaching staff leaves by the end of the season, then I would have serious concern for this team because they aren't building off what they learn throughout the season.

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
I did not like it when the Rams hired Fisher but I went with the hiring with an open mind after my initial reaction.
Now I'm done with Fisher, let me count the ways.
1. Team is undisciplined and does not look well organized.
2. Bailey was not in the game today. WT?! The Rams best receiver and he is not in the game?
3. The only reason Stacy got a chance to play is Richardson and Cunningham got hurt.
4. Took more then half the year before Bailey played.
5. The players are better then this record.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
a) a lousy coach
b) an average coach
c) a good coach
d) a great coach

I will give it a quick whirl.
  1. A great coach Hires coaches to assist in his philosophy or leaves them mostly alone supporting them when they are hired to execute their own. his philosophy is ever evolving. Changing with the demands the changing trends in the league requires
  2. He Drafts well and works well with his front office obtaining players that will fill the role of his overall philosophy
  3. His team is disciplined limiting Penalties and mental lapses, united working together to obtain the overall goal of winning. buying all in.
  4. His team Plays to potential week in and out and overachieves often. He is capable of making effective in game adjustments.
There are obvious exceptions and more characteristics but this is a start.

Work backwards removing characteristics stated to achieve the C,B,A

Last edited:

vdesai

UDFA
Wins aren't all that matter. Lets be honest with ourselves, we were never going to the superbowl this season. Once Sam went down we should have known what to expect, yet we have seen a night and day difference in our receiving corps. The secondary doesn't look nearly as bad as we thought it would even with Trumaine out. I would much rather see improvements in the players than a better win loss record, because if you aren't making it to the playoffs a win loss record does nothing but get you a shit draft pick. I am suprised more people aren't happy with the offense. Our 3rd string QB putting up almost 400 yards should be something we are all excited about.

Thank you everyone for the welcomes, I understand people can have a difference of opinion and this is a good place to discuss them and share our ideas. :)

Dr C. Hill

Rookie
Name
Doc
Fisher is a good builder of teams. There's no question he infused quite a bit of talent into STL. However, I dont know if he's the guy to get us to the promise land.

That is simply not true. He is a .500 Coach, nothing more.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We'll see how the year pans out. Only been 3 games. We are playing without a starting QB and competing. But, like everyone, I want to win and losing against Dallas was hard to swallow. That all said, if we can come back and win some of the games no one expects us to win...I say he's doing his job.

Dr C. Hill

Rookie
Name
Doc
We'll see how the year pans out. Only been 3 games. We are playing without a starting QB and competing. But, like everyone, I want to win and losing against Dallas was hard to swallow. That all said, if we can come back and win some of the games no one expects us to win...I say he's doing his job.

You can't ever loose a game at home when you are up 21-0. There is no excuse.

But hey, the Rams are the youngest team in the league for
like the 24th season in a row. Fisher is doing a hell of a job!