I'm gonna say it...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
stan said:
I see room to play contrarian here. The rules have been changed to the point that it is easier to be a rushing QB. The shotgun frequently lends itself to exploitation by a rushing QB. So too with the rolling pocket. He's a QB not a RB so the career ending argument is no more so than any QB scrambling at any time. For all those that claim a QB can't rely upon rushing when necessary and have a long and highly productive career.....better review the career of Fran Tarkenton. He was productive rushing throughout his career and at a time when the QB was treated as just another guy by the rules.
Nobody's saying he can't be a good QB who can also escape the pocket at times and make things happen. It's when offensive coordinators put in designed run plays for these guys who aren't built to take the punishment. Tebow is immensely bigger than Griffin, and now he's sidelined with broken ribs. Most teams would prefer to give their QB a clean pocket and keep him upright as opposed to running him into the teeth of the defense where his *chances* of being injured increase.

Maybe Griffin can be the next Tarkenton, and maybe he'll get his head taken off. Time will tell.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgK12g8to7U[/youtube]

I do know that players are bigger and faster now than they were in the 60's and 70's, so I wouldn't necessarily point to Tarkenton as the rule as much as I would the exception. Steve Young was pretty athletic too, wasn't he? And he should have quit about 3 concussions earlier than he did.

stan

Rookie
X said:
stan said:
I see room to play contrarian here. The rules have been changed to the point that it is easier to be a rushing QB. The shotgun frequently lends itself to exploitation by a rushing QB. So too with the rolling pocket. He's a QB not a RB so the career ending argument is no more so than any QB scrambling at any time. For all those that claim a QB can't rely upon rushing when necessary and have a long and highly productive career.....better review the career of Fran Tarkenton. He was productive rushing throughout his career and at a time when the QB was treated as just another guy by the rules.
Nobody's saying he can't be a good QB who can also escape the pocket at times and make things happen. It's when offensive coordinators put in designed run plays for these guys who aren't built to take the punishment. Tebow is immensely bigger than Griffin, and now he's sidelined with broken ribs. Most teams would prefer to give their QB a clean pocket and keep him upright as opposed to running him into the teeth of the defense where his *chances* of being injured increase.

Maybe Griffin can be the next Tarkenton, and maybe he'll get his head taken off. Time will tell.

I do know that players are bigger and faster now than they were in the 60's and 70's, so I wouldn't necessarily point to Tarkenton as the rule as much as I would the exception. Steve Young was pretty athletic too, wasn't he? And he should have quit about 3 concussions earlier than he did.

Pretty much all true except there were designed rushing plays for Tarkenton too. I suspect it must boil down to the individual player. Tarkenton was extremely durable over his career. If RG3 cannot sustain the punishment then common sense would dictate a change of planned strategy by the Skins OC. Although with Snyder so Jonesed into all the big decisions one never knows.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
stan said:
X said:
stan said:

Pretty much all true except there were designed rushing plays for Tarkenton too. I suspect it must boil down to the individual player. Tarkenton was extremely durable over his career. If RG3 cannot sustain the punishment then common sense would dictate a change of planned strategy by the Skins OC. Although with Snyder so Jonesed into all the big decisions one never knows.
Yeah, Tarkenton was something special. Some of the pre 1978 Rams fans (when I became a fan) probably hate his stupid guts, but he was a pretty gifted dude. And so is Griffin. But I think the average weight, speed and strength of defenders has increased by so much, that it's almost negligent to send him out there as an extra RB against those guys. He's already had one concussion, and it's only year 1.

Agree about Snyder. I almost expect him to hire Philip Montgomery as HC next year.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
stan said:
When RG3 starts ending his runs with the QB slide, he'll be protected as a QB. When he takes off on a scramble, or a designed run, he's a RB and not protected as long as he's finishing his runs.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Ram Quixote said:
stan said:
When RG3 starts ending his runs with the QB slide, he'll be protected as a QB. When he takes off on a scramble, or a designed run, he's a RB and not protected as long as he's finishing his runs.

I think he is already learning that lesson. Since his concussion he has been much better about getting down or out of bounds. I actually like the fact that he is not constantly turtling and/or throwing it away since that hit. The kid is a play maker. He makes plays, and I honestly think he is intelligent enough to know when NOT to extend a play. Time will tell, obviously. I do think he is more accurate and better able to read defenses than some people think. The kid impresses me. Sam does too. Different styles for sure, but I would not be so quick to classify RGIII as a Vick, Newton or even Tarkenton type player. He is a rookie, and we all know that he brings something more to the table than just arm strength. Whether or not he can continue to improve at this level is anyone's guess. Personally...I think he will be a very good QB in this league for a long time. Oh, and by the way, I think our young Sam will be as well.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
stan said:

I thought of Tarkenton but he was much different. He was a scrambler, not a rusher. He ran mostly as a scramble finding somewhere to throw, which he did more than not. He used to drive me crazy when the Rams played the Vikes. But he was rarely a run first QB. I think Warren Moon was the exception. He ran a lot but I believe most of his were ad-lib too but I remember him ending up actually taking the ball down field much more.

classicpony

Starter
Name
Jim
Barrison6 said:
Now after the draft and the plethora of picks we inherited, if we were to go back and be in the posistion to draft RGIII, do you do it? Me, no question, this kid can do it all at the QB spot. Just wait until Washington gets him some more weapons, oh god... :omg:

We are on the right course, don,t judge Washington just yet........

iBruce

Pro Bowler
Name
Cory
classicpony said:
Barrison6 said:
Now after the draft and the plethora of picks we inherited, if we were to go back and be in the posistion to draft RGIII, do you do it? Me, no question, this kid can do it all at the QB spot. Just wait until Washington gets him some more weapons, oh god... :omg:

We are on the right course, don,t judge Washington just yet........

Going to be tough for Washington to get more weapons w/o 2 First round draft picks.