Illegal Contact Penalty Against Gaines

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

We all know the one. 3rd and long, Gaines stands in the same spot, wr runs straight into him, incompletion, then lo and behold a yellow flag comes out. Result, a drive extended for a td I think.

How can an official make that horrible call and not face some kind of punishment? I really wanted to stop watching from that point on. Terrible. And later in the day I saw the exact same call in the exact same situation during the Packers-Saints game.

How will the refs ever lift their game if they never face any repercussions for horrible calls?

jjab360

Legend
I think this calls for a brand new WR route. Run straight into the defender, flail around a little, and have the QB throw the ball anywhere within 20 yards of you. Automatic yellow flag and a spot foul. Genius!

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I think this calls for a brand new WR route. Run straight into the defender, flail around a little, and have the QB throw the ball anywhere within 20 yards of you. Automatic yellow flag and a spot foul. Genius!
You just described the NBA.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
I thought you were going to bring up the roughing call he got for not even touching the other guy. Is there a new rule that says that they can throw a flag on the intent to illegally contact someone?

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger
I have seen more blatantly bad calls against the Rams this season than any time I can remember in my time as Rams fan (since mid 1970's). The Seattle game was not perfect but the one good win the Rams have is really the only game where I did not see some of those WTF bad calls the Rams seem to get every game.

I think those really bad calls sometimes negatively impact the mindset of our team as well. Usually after one of those horrendous calls the against the defense this season (especially if it is third down) the opponent almost always scores a TD on that same drive. Some of the calls have been so bad that I legitimately question the integrity of the officials (blatant bias against the Rams). Even if not intentional, it is at best blatant incompetence and the official should be held accountable.

As I have stated before (like after the Dallas game) bad officiating negatively affects the integrity of the game and if this continues at its current pace it will ultimately cause fans to tune out.

Last edited:

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
I have seen more blatantly bad calls against the Rams this season than any time I can remember in my time as Rams fan (since mid 1970's). The Seattle game was not perfect but the one good win the Rams have is really the only game where I did not see some of those WTF bad calls the Rams seem to get every game.

I think those really bad calls sometimes negatively impact the mindset of our team as well. Usually after one of those horrendous calls the against the defense this season (especially if it is third down) the opponent almost always scores a TD on that same drive. Some of the calls have been so bad that I legitimately question the integrity of the officials (blatant bias against the Rams). Even if not intentional, it is at best blatant incompetence and the official should be held accountable.

As I have stated before (like after the Dallas game) bad officiating negatively affects the integrity of the game and if this continues at its current pace it will ultimately cause fans to tune out.
You got that right. I've followed this team through some horrible seasons and accepted them for what they were, but I have not or never will enjoy watching officiating bias that consistently affects the outcome of the game based on placating the what the TV market wants.

Of course, I'm not at all saying that this was the case in the KC game.

But, oh dear holy whatsit after that Dallas game I was seriously questioning my football addiction.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave

I think it already is having a negative impact!

Athos

Legend
If the Rams weren't getting all those bogus calls, and were getting all those calls the dipsharts ignore, we'd be a much better team in much tighter games, if not wins.

That doesn't fly for King Goodell though. Mojo if right. Pretty much the NBA rule, among other things. Wish is why I don't watch the NBA anymore. NFL may follow suit.

Big Willie

Starter
Maybe, just maybe all of the bad officiating we have seen this year (and it has been horrific) will create some league support for full time referees. It is ridiculous they do not have these already. It's not like they can't afford them.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
You just described the NBA.

I love hoops and when it comes to watching a sporting event live the NBA is the most fun and the most entertaining. Especially when you get to see really good teams or superstar players. I've seen a ton of HOF and All Star guys and it's been an absolute hoot.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
zero fucking consistency! thats what the joke is. the rules have been mutilated so much that every ref just decides to call it how they want like its total discretion for every ref. so there's no way for a player to adjust to penalties cus half the refs might not call one thing but the other half will. welcome to the circus folks! designed and run by our friendly dictator Lord Goodell

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
zero freaking consistency! thats what the joke is. the rules have been mutilated so much that every ref just decides to call it how they want like its total discretion for every ref. so there's no way for a player to adjust to penalties cus half the refs might not call one thing but the other half will. welcome to the circus folks! designed and run by our friendly dictator Lord Goodell

I see it differently. It isn't the rules, or how the refs are interpreting anything. They make way too many mistakes, but it has absolutely nothing to do with the refs discretion (which I don't see at all) or players adjusting.

The refs miss too much, and make calls they shouldn't. That's all it is. Period. That's what needs to be fixed. Blaming it on the NFL and Goodell is a waste of time because those two things are not the issue. The issue has ALWAYS been bad calls, and it has been for a long time, way before Goodell was the commissioner.

By the way he was trying very hard to make some improvements but the refs union was having none of it and then the idiots in the media that were screaming about the replacement refs created enough pressure that a deal got put together in way to hasty of a fashion. So blaming Goodell is baseless and is WAY off the mark.

I find it amusing that so many people can know that yet still blame him. And how does everyone feel about those replacement refs now? Maybe not as bad as everyone thought?

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
I see it differently. It isn't the rules, or how the refs are interpreting anything. They make way too many mistakes, but it has absolutely nothing to do with the refs discretion (which I don't see at all) or players adjusting.

The refs miss too much, and make calls they shouldn't. That's all it is. Period. That's what needs to be fixed. Blaming it on the NFL and Goodell is a waste of time because those two things are not the issue. The issue has ALWAYS been bad calls, and it has been for a long time, way before Goodell was the commissioner.

By the way he was trying very hard to make some improvements but the refs union was having none of it and then the idiots in the media that were screaming about the replacement refs created enough pressure that a deal got put together in way to hasty of a fashion. So blaming Goodell is baseless and is WAY off the mark.

I find it amusing that so many people can know that yet still blame him. And how does everyone feel about those replacement refs now? Maybe not as bad as everyone thought?
the refs making these mistakes have been around for many years but now it's simply getting worse. i can't agree that these calls were as bad before Goodell. Goodell has fucked up the rules so bad the refs just decide to call everything and anything even close to s penalty. so idk the explanation for them blowing this many calls when it seems to get worse every year with the same guys. so since there's no way to explain that I'll go ahead and stick with my theory

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
the refs making these mistakes have been around for many years but now it's simply getting worse. i can't agree that these calls were as bad before Goodell. Goodell has fucked up the rules so bad the refs just decide to call everything and anything even close to s penalty. so idk the explanation for them blowing this many calls when it seems to get worse every year with the same guys. so since there's no way to explain that I'll go ahead and stick with my theory

What rules got fucked up? I can't think of any rule that would make a ref blow a call. The problem isn't the rules it the lack of competence in the ranks of the officials. Is it worse than it's ever been? A case could be made that yeah it is, the game is faster than the refs it seems. They make way too many mistakes and have little to no accountability.

I'm no fan of Goodell but this isn't on him, he tried to make moves to fix the issues and so your theory has holes. Big ones too.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
What rules got fucked up? I can't think of any rule that would make a ref blow a call. The problem isn't the rules it the lack of competence in the ranks of the officials. Is it worse than it's ever been? A case could be made that yeah it is, the game is faster than the refs it seems. They make way too many mistakes and have little to no accountability.

I'm no fan of Goodell but this isn't on him, he tried to make moves to fix the issues and so your theory has holes. Big ones too.
rule changes like all the protection to 'defenseless' recievers or leading with the helmet or the fake pass interference calls because they don't want the receivers touched or these ridiculous hands to the face penalties. dude all the crap that has been called on the Rams are relatively new penalties or change of enforcement that stems from Goodell trying to make it ALL about offense and 'protecting' the QB and receiver. I agree the refs are a joke but Goodell has only made it worse. ANY personal foul call should be replay reviewed before being enforced because the refs would rather throw a flag and make it up rather than missing one of those stupid calls

Ken

Starter
Name
Ken Morris
The solution is simple. Expanded replay, more replay officials and less on-field officials. Every play should be reviewed within seconds. Overturn bad calls and call obvious missed penalties. Problem fixed.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
rule changes like all the protection to 'defenseless' recievers or leading with the helmet or the fake pass interference calls because they don't want the receivers touched or these ridiculous hands to the face penalties. dude all the crap that has been called on the Rams are relatively new penalties or change of enforcement that stems from Goodell trying to make it ALL about offense and 'protecting' the QB and receiver. I agree the refs are a joke but Goodell has only made it worse. ANY personal foul call should be replay reviewed before being enforced because the refs would rather throw a flag and make it up rather than missing one of those stupid calls

I understand your dislike for Goodell, but you're way off base.

By the way rules changes to benefit the passing game have been going on since the 80's. Most of the rules changes have revolved around two main issues. Player safety and making things easier for the offense.

This might help.......you can see much of what you are unhappy about was in place long before Goodell was on the scene. And still, rules are different than shitty refs. The two are different.

http://www.sportsattic.com/araig/NflRulesHistory.htm