IF we get Long...does this mean Saffold would be traded?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jap

Legend
bluecoconuts said:
I'll believe it when I see it. I think there's more of a chance some Dolphins (or other teams) brass is putting that out to make the Rams think twice.

I don't see the need to think twice. If Jake is healthy, he is an upgrade. It is easier to find a good RT than a good LT.

nighttrain

Legend
Angry Ram said:
nighttrain said:
Angry Ram said:
LTs get switched over to RT all the time. Rodger is a good guy, he'd do it.

Jake Long, Jon Cooper, Scott Wells, Harvey Dahl, Rodger Saffold. Sounds good to me.
we drafted ROK for some reason, eh? i think it was to play guard...
train

Jon Cooper is ready now. Rok can be developed to eventually replace Harvey Dahl.
so, i think, is Warford
train

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
<a class="postlink" href="https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/311894389662294017" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/311894389662294017</a>

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet
I hear what @BobGlauber heard: That if #Rams sign Jake Long, their starting LT Roger Saffold will likely ask to be traded if they move to RT
Is this fucking for real? I really don't think Saffold would do that. If so, wow.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
"Our sources are from a thread title we saw on an internet message board Ramsondemand.com"

HHHahahahahahahahahaha :lmao:

A55VA6

Legend
Seriously? If Saffold asks for a trade, he's selfish and I don't want him on our team anymore.

Why can't he just move to LG or RT and help our team....?

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
Just how long does it take to do a physical? I keep checking for news that he signed or is going to go somewhere else and nothing is coming up.

Speeps

Starter
brokeu91 said:
Just how long does it take to do a physical? I keep checking for news that he signed or is going to go somewhere else and nothing is coming up.
Im sure they are going to sit down, grab something to eat, tour the facility, play ping pong with Sam and all that good stuff.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Speeps said:
brokeu91 said:
Im sure they are going to sit down, grab something to eat, tour the facility, play ping pong with Sam and all that good stuff.

Ah yes, the dreaded Sam Bradford Ping Pong drill.. Many have attempted, few have succeeded.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
[tweet]311899255629557760[/tweet]

I understand that mixed information is out on this deal being finalized yet stand by for more.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
BonifayRam said:
[tweet]311899255629557760[/tweet]

Stoked I am. Cook and now Long. Just get Delmas to sign and we got this.

For a team with no cap room, that was just gonna sit and watch this ain't bad. Freak the 40'er's and Hags.

And if Saffold don't like it as has been brought up...Then he should have stayed on the field and played better.
He will come around, so no worries.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
Okay. Raise your hand if you really believe Saffold is the kind of player who asks for a trade.

I didn't think so.

And who the hell is Bob Glauber anyway?

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Ram Quixote said:
Okay. Raise your hand if you really believe Saffold is the kind of player who asks for a trade.

I didn't think so.

And who the hell is Bob Glauber anyway?

Exactly my thoughts. Everything I've seen about Saffold suggests that he's a total team player who wants to do what he can to help the team; that's why he's one of my favorite players on the team. And this is honestly the first time I've ever heard of Bob Glauber. Who is he again?

A55VA6

Legend
Deal isn't done yet.

But I agree, Saffold asking for a trade? I don't see it. Rodger seems like a great guy and would do whatever to help the team. Not be some selfish player.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
BonifayRam said:
Memento said:
Why waste Saffold's pass-blocking skills at left guard when you'll have players like Von Miller, Derek Wolfe, Bruce Irvin, Ahmad Brooks, Anthony Spencer, and Charles Johnson lining up against the right tackle in this season's schedule alone? He's more valuable as a tackle than as a guard, especially when we have guys like Watkins, Washington, Smith, and Barnes who all play on the interior. The only players we have who can play at the offensive tackle position right now is Saffold, Richardson (who will likely not be back), Barksdale (also a free agent who may not be back), and Nsekhe (who was on the practice squad almost the entire year).

I know that I am the only person saying this and the world has Saffold moving to the right OT post ....I will say this....how often did we see the stunts of the RDE & RDT where the DE would crash though the interior of the left side of the line to kill Sam Bradford? When saw it over and over again with great success particularly shown by Fox Sports where the 9ers Smith brothers Sheldon & Justin beat our left side silly. The pass protection in the modern NFL has to come from the OG's as much as the OT's. Rams OLG's Ojinnaka, Smith & Turner failed on these stunts many times last year and that is why Ojinnaka & Turner are no longer in a Ram uni. When our opponents RDE's were being controlled by Hunter & Saffold they went inside where pass our weak link was at great damage was done and Sam as we all know had no pocket to step up into!

I see Saffold as being a great top tier OLG whereas he has never played RIGHT OT. He has never played anywhere else but on the left side. When the Rams drafted him he went left everyone believe that it was because of Jason Smith's actions ...I throw this out it may have been Saffolds actions @ ORT early that landed him @ OLT. Some of our best runs came from Saffold run blocking on that left side. I sure do not see Saffold pass blocking skills being wasted playing OLG. Building the pocket for our pocket passer is a mandate and Saffold's move a few feet right to OLG will stabilize the left side if Jake long is contracted.

Now if you will please allow me to address the Right side situation. If your OL looks like this below:

OLT- Jake Long 6-7 320-27-5/R.Saffold/Ty.Nsekhe
OLG- Rodger Saffold 6-5 315-26-4/S.Smith/B.Washington/R.Watkins
OC- Scott Wells 6-2 300-32-10/ Barnes/S.Smith
ORG-Harvey Dahl 6-5 308-32-8/R.Watkins/S.Smith
ORT- VACANCY/ J.Barksdale/ R.Watkins/H.Dahl

Thats a real good veteran OL above....I do not see but one issue & thats at ORT. You have a swing OT who can back up the OLT in Saffold plus you have Barksdale under contract who also started two games @ OLT & played OLT in College too. You have have a back up @ OLG that started 6 games for us last yr in case Saffold is injured again. You have a healthy trimmed down in great condition Rok Watkins returning looking for a post to start in??Then you have only one Ram OL position to address in the draft.

Snead & Fisher must have studied the Saffold issue & the 2013 OLT draft situation and came up that the best plan of action was to go get a pro bowl OLT and pay for it! Meaning that Saffold would not figure into Fisher plans @ LEFT OT. They know that the chances of the three best OT in this draft will be long gone when they are up @ #16. Lane Johnson could fall to them but its very doubtful but if he does then that's our new ORT. But Snead & Fisher know the next two highest talented OT after Lane Johnson are DJ Fluker & Menelik Watson, both are RIGHT OT's & both should be there @ #22. Thus leaving #16 to get the impact player they want! Smart to me.

One more thing here & I will throw this out for you to chew on.....last yr Rok Watkins was drafted we all said there's the Rams new OLG due to the fact we had a big vacancy there. Factual history on Rok ....First lets get this out ....HC Jeff Fisher said Rok Watkins can play RIGHT OT when we drafted him. Rok had 27 starts in college only 9 starts came on the left side the rest were on the right. Rok started in four different OL posts in college. Rok's best play came when he was on the right not left. Rok senior year he won the starting position playing offensive RIGHT OT. Rok had five outstanding games @ ORT until an injury took out the starting OLT. Guess you know who had to move to OLT to secure it down...Rok then started there for the rest of the season. I not suggesting anything just providing some facts here.

Lastly everyone has us drafting a OLG. I thinking that the top rated player in the draft who is Chance Warmack will be long gone when #16 selection is to be made so would Snead. Jon Cooper is not a Fisher type man up OL'er! Rams have four OG's on our roster under contract now. Its the OT's thats the issue not the OG's. The next best OG is Larry Warfold he is a right OG but is a very late first rder or very early 2nd rder that stands to be gone when we pick @#46 then comes Kyle Long he is a OLG & ORT prospect who may be in the cards for this Ram team if I am reading the cards right.

Excellent post, draft Fluker or Watson and trade Staford for a late 1st or 2nd rd pick. Helps cap and draft day flexibility. And target a must have player on their board in Rd 2!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk