If the Rams’ D is going to improve significantly this year, it will be because…

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

If the D improves, it will be because…

• Players will be more acclimated to Morris’ scheme.

Votes: 41 50.0%
  • First and second year players improve as they get more playing time.

Votes: 24 29.3%
  • Struggling players are replaced with reserves.

Votes: 9 11.0%
  • The Rams make a significant trade.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • It’s already as good as it will get.

Votes: 6 7.3%

• Total voters

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
Last year they had Ramsey cover DK Metcalf and DK was completely shut down. This season Metcalf got two TDs against the Rams defense. I think the talent is there but a more aggressive scheme is needed.
I believe Metcalf caught one of those TDs with Ramsey in coverage last week.

I don’t think you‘re shutting down Metcalf 24/7 even with Ramsey…they had a good game against him last year.

Not an indicator of failure to me.

LouisvilleRam

Hall of Fame

I don’t think you‘re shutting down Metcalf 24/7 even with Ramsey…they had a good game against him last year.

DK had 2 TD's in 3 games against us last year, he had 2 TD's in last Thursday's game

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Most fans seem to forget last years defense didn't really gel until near midseason. Remember the Buffalo game in week 3? 35 points. Remember the Seattle game? 30 points. This years group has allowed a lot of points HOWEVER they have made huge plays at crucial times. They will get better. But sometimes good offenses score points no matter what.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
A combination of the 1st three options. The players will adjust to Morris' scheme, he will adjust to his players, 1st and 2nd year players will improve with experience and struggling players will be replaced by others or rotated in certain packages to maximize the talent on the field.

I wish Staley, JJ3, Hill, Fox and Brockers were all still here too... but that's a LOT to lose in one season and there was never much hope (imo) in thd Rams upgrading any of those positions for this season. Best case scenario was always below last years status quo.

I feel like we *should* have a top 10 D when the regular season ends and I believe that will be enough to contend for a chip.

Ellard80

Legend
its a combination of scheme acclimation and younger players getting experience.

if our Defense improves that will be the cause.

TheTackle

Pro Bowler

Yes, but it looks like the safety was too late to the play when Ramsey was expecting help

oldnotdead

Legend
Troy Hill's and John Johnson's limitations have been exposed in Cleveland, proving why they were allowed to walk. That is to say, no big loss for either as they would not have fared any better in Morris' defense. Morgan Fox was a back up his whole career. He had a breakout year last year, after 3 years of mediocre production. But he was still a backup and still would be in LA. Michael Brockers is struggling without AD to take up the slack.

What I'm saying is that of these so called losses in player personnel would not have changed a thing in LA. They looked better than they were because of how Staley used them. Regarding Pleasant, I suggest you look at Detroit's secondary. They are playing so badly that their play are directly accountable for 2 last-minute losses by the Lions. Again, perhaps it was Staley's scheme that made him look better than he is. Detroit's secondary is a mess. IMO they have better talent than their play reflects. Scheme and coaching are a problem there.

End of the day, it's the players that make a coach look good or bad.

That is what everyone kept saying about the OL. The OL went from struggling to elite with the same players, but a new coach. That proves the difference a coach makes. The Rams went from #1 to #15 on defense. So losing Brockers, Hill and Johnson are the reason for the drastic decline? I seriously doubt it. The Rams D went from 5th in 2019 to 1st in 2020 with the change from Phillips to Staley. Both played a zone heavy scheme. Phillips a drop, read, react (conventional) to Staley's drop, read, anticipate style. With basically the same talent as Phillips but a change in how the scheme was played they improved. The reverse is true going from Staley to Morris. At the very least this should be a top 5 unit. Phillips did it with lesser talent than Morris.

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
DK had 2 TD's in 3 games against us last year, he had 2 TD's in last Thursday's game
Yes. And one of them last week was against Ramsey.

So DK's 2 TDs mean that the Defense is not getting better? OK

I'm also reminded that Ramsey was not 100% assigned to DK last season.

DWill's pick 6 was against DK.

I'm not sure of the point other than you disagree, which is fine. :thumbsup1:

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
The defense is confounding.. but I think does have a chance to straighten things out in a big way. In addition to the lapses.. they're top 10 in interceptions and sacks right now. And that's with three games against Murray, Wilson and Brady.
I'm hoping the next few weeks help them iron out the coverage problems.
The good news the next three weeks is that there's no passing game ahead where you believe they could isolate Long against a big WR consistently and light him up. I actually expect long to play well the next three weeks.

We'll see.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Snead & Mcvay make it clear that they are very disappointed in the play of his defense in the first 5 games.

That both of them demands his defense makes changes & becomes much more aggressive:mad::bomb::angry:. Thus Morris needs to:

*Moves Taylor Rapp down closer to the LOS in the ILB'er posts in passing situations & removes him from starting strong safety position.

*Moves safety Jordan Fuller back to his rookie season position into the Taylor Rapp starting safety position. Still calling the defensive plays.

*Inserts a new starting deep/free safety in either Terrell Burgess or JuJu Hughes.

*Ensures CB David long gets as few snaps with the defense as he can.

*Increases ILB Ernest Jones snaps counts each week @ WSILB post behind Kenny young & MLB Troy Reeder in preparation to start in 2022.

*Increases OLB Chris Garretts snaps each week on the defense on 2nd & 3rd down passing situations. Due to the long injury history of both Terrell Lewis & Og Okoronkwo.

*Prioritizes & Plans each week with DL Coach Henderson to ensure to "free up" Aaron Donald for as many one-on-one situations inside & provide more often events where he lines up on the edges.

Bonifay’d- I like your passion,but I’ll continue to say your being WAY over the top.

Just by bringing up changing things up & agressive. I think if you just look at the tackles against from the SeaHag game vs the rest of the season you can see how Raheem Morris changed things up on Defense.

Then just talking about change I’ve come to believe Sean Mcvay & The Rams tend to play there rookies more moving forward after the fourth(5th) game. Jones & RR31 I believe had more snaps than normal against Hags.

Aggression- I’d say The Rams will have more sacks in 2021 than in 2020.
I’d almost go with turnovers as well,but Arizona game The Rams did not come through.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Bonifay’d- I like your passion,but I’ll continue to say your being WAY over the top.

Just by bringing up changing things up & agressive. I think if you just look at the tackles against from the SeaHag game vs the rest of the season you can see how Raheem Morris changed things up on Defense.

Then just talking about change I’ve come to believe Sean Mcvay & The Rams tend to play there rookies more moving forward after the fourth(5th) game. Jones & RR31 I believe had more snaps than normal against Hags.

Aggression- I’d say The Rams will have more sacks in 2021 than in 2020.
I’d almost go with turnovers as well,but Arizona game The Rams did not come through.
Respectfully disagree, So Ram.

I think Bonifay absolutely nailed it. Couldn’t have said it better myself.

Sure hope Morris is thinking along those lines.

swmizzou83

Starter
I'm just curious why Burgess hasn't played hardly at all this year. I can't see him being worse than Rapp.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Respectfully disagree, So Ram.

I think Bonifay absolutely nailed it. Couldn’t have said it better myself.

Sure hope Morris is thinking along those lines.

— Respects Rams43

Just listened to Morris & Jalen RAMsey interviews.I respect them more than yourself. I like what they stand for!!

In RAMsey & Jordan Fuller in God they Trust.I like how Jalen talks about playing for each other & looks forward to the challenge.He says he knows if it was him instead of D. Williams he’d(team)be playing for him.

DD21 is great.Dude is small,but is just a pure 1 on 1 CB. He is small & can be over matched.I don’t know how much (closet)you have followed The Rams.
I know Rams43 you have passion for this team. I’m just bring up Jamarcus Joyner as an example to what I see from DD21. I think size is what I’m talking about. Joyner was a excellent Nickle CB,but he was to small.He was tough as nails & had that SS body.

I got off track,but T. Burgees was a guy that Morris brought up.If that is the case then this might give The Rams a bigger advantage in different looks for the offense to have to read?

Morris also said it would just one player to fill in for Williams.They also talked about D. Long getting another chance. I go back to DD21 just from when Williams got hurt & Scott was there.It was an ankle(RT?). DD21 is just a natural CB.I can’t say that enough,because of his comfort & confidence I look forward to him getting beat or making plays?

RamWoodie

Legend
I *think* the defense gets better as they go. What I'm seeing is in the secondary. They're not problems in being able to cover as much as it has been technique or lack of experience. You can be able to stay with a receiver and be beat because he has the experience over you.

Both Long and Scott will be better and Burgess may very well get the nod over Rapp. We know Rapp is mainly an "in the box" guy than a cover guy.

Williams was starting to come on until he got injured...but I had no idea why he was lacking when the season started...he was looking like a rookie.

Time is gonna tell but I won't be surprised to see a move made if these guys don't shore up.

It goes together though...you can't expect the secondary to cover forever. The DLine has to step it up too!!!

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I'm just curious why Burgess hasn't played hardly at all this year. I can't see him being worse than Rapp.

Well when players get there opportunity then you’ll get a better idea. RR31 should have a good game this weekend. Nice Int

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
Snead & Mcvay make it clear that they are very disappointed in the play of his defense in the first 5 games.

That both of them demands his defense makes changes & becomes much more aggressive:mad::bomb::angry:. Thus Morris needs to:

*Moves Taylor Rapp down closer to the LOS in the ILB'er posts in passing situations & removes him from starting strong safety position.

*Moves safety Jordan Fuller back to his rookie season position into the Taylor Rapp starting safety position. Still calling the defensive plays.

*Inserts a new starting deep/free safety in either Terrell Burgess or JuJu Hughes.

*Ensures CB David long gets as few snaps with the defense as he can.

*Increases ILB Ernest Jones snaps counts each week @ WSILB post behind Kenny young & MLB Troy Reeder in preparation to start in 2022.

*Increases OLB Chris Garretts snaps each week on the defense on 2nd & 3rd down passing situations. Due to the long injury history of both Terrell Lewis & Og Okoronkwo.

*Prioritizes & Plans each week with DL Coach Henderson to ensure to "free up" Aaron Donald for as many one-on-one situations inside & provide more often events where he lines up on the edges.

Lotta good stuff here.

Basically, you’re asking for more PT for the younger guys and repositioning some others. That’s why I chose that particular option in the poll—the one emphasizing an emergence of the new blood. They may have been selected for this scheme or are still in a learning state that could adjust to this defense. As for the vets, they have been partially neutered in this defense. They are not shining like they did last year, even though they might make an occasional play.

The misuse of Ramsey alone is an obvious head scratcher. The whole secondary is a mess—which you so accurately described.