if tavon austin added weight but kept the speed

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

iced

I think he could do good as a back. I mean sure lose like .05 sec for adding significant muscle. But you know who'd he remind me athleticly: Marshall Faulk. The agility , elusiveness, cutability and speed.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Yeah, It would be fun to see but that kind of thing is so unpredictable. 5 or 10 pounds? Yeah, maybe you wouldn't see much loss of speed and quickness but would that be enough? If the kid gained 20-25 pounds, I don't think he would be the same style player.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I think Austin is going to be the league's first true hybrid player... And in this copycat league... The kind of player other teams try to find.

It wouldn't surprise me at all to see Austin with 5 carries a game... Even more after his first season and gains experience.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

lockdnram21

Legend
The next austin will be in the league next year. Cant think of his name but he plays for Oregon

chefRAMzy

UDFA
Name
Chef
Man I sure read that wrong.. Hahah I thought it said that he added weight and kept his speed... That would have made my day!!! But either or I'm still pretty stoked about tavon

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
lockdnram21 said:
The next austin will be in the league next year. Cant think of his name but he plays for Oregon
DeAnthony Thomas, and I think this is only his junior year so he may not even declare for this draft but if somehow, someway we got this cat too, OMG. :boing:

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
I think he's already added weight from what he was playing at in WVU. He wanted to add as much muscle as he could for the combine to show he was durable. I would say he's probably as fast as he's ever been too considering he was training for the 40, and ran an "unofficial" 4.25.

He has a reputation as a gym rat in the offseason. Shit, the kid looks like Darren Sproles in some of these pictures coming out. This was his longest and biggest offseason yet. His body is NFL ready. Idk about his mind yet, kinda worried about him PB wise considering the way WVU offense was ran.

fearsomefour

Legend
It certainly could be possible with 5lbs maybe even 10lbs. Austin is the exact same weight (listed weight anyway) as Olympic sprinter Ato Boldon. Boldon is 2" taller than Austin. It really depends on the persons starting strength. In trying to help my son prepare for starting his college baseball career he has gained about 22 lbs in a little less than a year. He has also gotten faster and quicker in that time. He was starting as a tall, weak kid and is now much stronger. Austin doesnt have a big frame and Im sure is very strong already. Almost all guys that are very fast are also very strong for their weight. A true stick figure frame usually does not equate to speed. Even someone like Burress who came out of college looking like a stick figure weighed 220 lbs at Michigan State. Austin working with pro level trainers may add some weight without the intention of getting bigger. I cant imagine him getting faster, but, trading just a touch of speed for being able to absorb the week to week hits in the NFL may be of a benefit. Sprinters look like Adonis and distance runners look like they are starving. Austin is already pretty close to Adonis.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
lockdnram21 said:

De'Anthony isn't the next Austin imo. He's more Chris Johnson/Jeff Demps than Tavon. He doesn't have a lot of wiggle but is extremely strong and physical for his size.

As far as adding weight, Tavon will add weight in the NFL program either ways. But I wouldn't move him to HB. He's more dangerous as a WR/HB hybrid imo.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Adding weight to his frame beyond the natural level would make for a pretty amazing player, but his frame is his frame and IMO trying to bulk him so he could play the position would serve to shorten his career.

I want this guy to be just hitting his prime in year 5 or 6 ,not used up.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
He may only be 5'7", but if you look at him he's already pretty built. For his size he's got a lot of muscle on him already. Compare him to Desean Jackson (who is a twig) and I think that's why he's not had the injury history (so far). If he played RB full time he wouldn't last very long IMO.

fearsomefour

Legend
Yep, Austin has already put his time in the weight room for sure. He is built. Someone like Bruce who was 6 feet tall and played at about 170lbs (if memory serves) still had to try to avoid big hits down field. I would expect Austin to be able to use his quickness and change of direction to avoid big hits much like Marshal did for years. The new rules with not being able to abuse....or even place a legal hard hit....on a WR will help. But, let the big boys (Cook, Kendricks, Quick) cross the middle and look for contact. Austins biggest benefit will be being able to turn a 4 yard catch into a 20 yard play. It is so set up, if they can only execute. With Cook, Kendricks and Austin doing work underneath it should really open things up downfield for Givens. If a team keeps getting dinked and dunked, in particular if short catches keep going for intermediate gains a D is either going to have to bring in extra DBs regardless of personel on O or bring the S down, which means man coverage for Givens. I dont know how quickly it will click but when it does it should be fun to watch.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
fearsomefour said:
If a team keeps getting dinked and dunked, in particular if short catches keep going for intermediate gains a D is either going to have to bring in extra DBs regardless of personel on O or bring the S down, which means man coverage for Givens. I dont know how quickly it will click but when it does it should be fun to watch.
That's a good point. Austin is going to force a lot of defenses out of their base 4-3. As will Cook, I'd imagine. Which could be used to our advantage to get some decent runs in with Kendricks, Harkey or Potter as the lead blocker.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
X said:
fearsomefour said:
If a team keeps getting dinked and dunked, in particular if short catches keep going for intermediate gains a D is either going to have to bring in extra DBs regardless of personel on O or bring the S down, which means man coverage for Givens. I dont know how quickly it will click but when it does it should be fun to watch.
That's a good point. Austin is going to force a lot of defenses out of their base 4-3. As will Cook, I'd imagine. Which could be used to our advantage to get some decent runs in with Kendricks, Harkey or Potter as the lead blocker.
Which begs the question if Sam had THESE guys ,would people have complained about Shurmer's offense?

IMO with these guys and Sam as a rook, the WHOLE picture looks completely diff. Spags probably would still be here,cuz we'd have made the playoffs .

NOT BTW to rehash Spagsmackmania , just sayin' Sam + these guys + Shurmer is a lot of what youse guise are talkin, es verdad?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Thordaddy said:
X said:
fearsomefour said:
Which begs the question if Sam had THESE guys ,would people have complained about Shurmer's offense?

IMO with these guys and Sam as a rook, the WHOLE picture looks completely diff. Spags probably would still be here,cuz we'd have made the playoffs .

NOT BTW to rehash Spagsmackmania , just sayin' Sam + these guys + Shurmer is a lot of what youse guise are talkin, es verdad?
That's also a good point. If Shurmur had the personnel to run that shitty bubble screen, methodical dink and dunk, lateral offense, it would have been successful. That was his undoing, however. You have to have the personnel to run the offense you'd like to run - otherwise you have to adjust.

Which allows me to segue into McDaniels' undoing.

McDaniels was innovative, and he changed things up a lot to take advantage of the teams' strengths and the opponents weaknesses, but he was implementing these changes weekly with a bunch of receivers who had no OTAs, no camp, and weren't even in the NFL the year prior. And trying to get guys like Pettis, Salas, Kendricks and Gibson to automatically learn sight adjustments with no camp? Just dumb.

You wanna have success in this league? You gotta be smart. SMRT Smart.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Thordaddy said:
X said:
fearsomefour said:

Personally, I was NEVER impressed with Shurmur as a play caller. Talented weapons or not... we've seen rocks with more imagination.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
CGI_Ram said:
Thordaddy said:
X said:
fearsomefour said:

Personally, I was NEVER impressed with Shurmur as a play caller. Talented weapons or not... we've seen rocks with more imagination.
Ardunno CG the guy got a HC job out of it , so I don't think his "undoing" as X put it even occurred here.
McD hasn't ever shown me he can coach a great offense w/o Tom Brady who makes all his coaches look better.

Anyway , I thunk we dun good when we drafted and signed these guise, an' I still does. :tooth:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Thordaddy said:
Ardunno CG the guy got a HC job out of it , so I don't think his "undoing" as X put it even occurred here.

And flamed out in 2 seasons.

Not to mention the quote recently that players in Cleveland are glad his playbook is gone.

Worse OC, ever. :cool:

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
That's along time "ever" ,I can't remember it all

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Thordaddy said:
That's along time "ever" ,I can't remember it all

Obviously, I am exaggerating. Just not a fan of Shurmur!