if Rams draft Watkins......

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

iced

Seems like more emphasis on him getting more carries - as if starting all 16 games (like they supposedly expected him too). I don't take that as a more carries per game - I interpret it as "he'll have more carries next season as a full time starter". Even with his 49 carries in 3 games divides in 16.3333, which equals out 262 carries over a season.. I wouldn't be surprised to see Stacy get around the 280-310 mark, but I wouldn't expect him to be run so much that they run more than pass... even in lop sided wins they still passed more than they threw it.

Either way - if you're expecting a run dominant offense like what they had at the season I feel you'll be in for disappointment. I'm not going to go into starter Reps as it compares to how an offense is run and play calling - I'll just point to the different arm strength and most importantly, accuracy, between clemens and bradford... if your qb struggles with accuracy beyond 10 yards, of course you're going to run the ball.

lockdnram21

Legend
Givens was suppose to break out last year in a big way. The offense was stifled in the run department early which eventually crushed our passing game. The crap snowballed fast before we got a handle on it. It just can't happen in this division.

Givens dissappointing season was second to Quick 's. I read other posts from guys that said "he was getting open consistently but Clemens never looked his way." I REALLY hope that's all it was, but I'm not convinced that's the whole story.

im one of those guys. When Quick was on the field i focus on him. im not going to say it was all Clemens not seeing him some was blocking not giving him time. It could have been trust. I will say this when he threw to Quick, Quick caught it. He had two back to back catches in traffic. Theres one that he didnt ge due to good defense.. people discredit the jump ball td vs Sf. But i dont i seen that cb play a lot for sf hes not the best but hes no slouch. Quicks no finished product but hes improving and getting better. Im not going to say he will be leading receiver but with Bradford back he will be a good contributor

iced

I want to see them to. i also think Givens will bounce back from his slump. I think he has most of Watkins game not all but most and if works on it he can get all ofit. Givens is faster and i think part of the reason he wasnt effective early on was because we didnt have a run game. It msde it easier to key on him. Later in the seaon he looked like he was getting open more. i still envision Quick and Givens on the outside

no it's just because Given's is not a #1 receiver - period. He didn't as well in year 2 cause in year 1 he was facing the teams #2 or #3 corners, not their #1's. He had gibson attracting a lot of attention - and btw , 2 of 3 of given's big touchdowns as a rook' also came against the same corner - he burnt greg toller twice whom was cut by arizona at the end of the year.... but he couldn't manage a single td his 2nd year.. blame KC? Please, 104 other receivers with backup Qb's managed to get atleast one td, some with back ups themselves

We can hope and envision that Quick and Givens pan out on the outside - but the reality is so far, they're not. And sadly, no one is able to rise to occasion and snatch the starting job for a good..

And I don't know about him "getting open more" - he still struggled with getting open, and catching the ball.

Sad thing is the Rams haven't had an 800 yard receiver since Torry Holt left..

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
im one of those guys. When Quick was on the field i focus on him. im not going to say it was all Clemens not seeing him some was blocking not giving him time. It could have been trust. I will say this when he threw to Quick, Quick caught it. He had two back to back catches in traffic. Theres one that he didnt ge due to good defense.. people discredit the jump ball td vs Sf. But i dont i seen that cb play a lot for sf hes not the best but hes no slouch. Quicks no finished product but hes improving and getting better. Im not going to say he will be leading receiver but with Bradford back he will be a good contributor

That's good enough for me, man. This is a make or break year for Quick. It may even be a contract year but not positive. It's now or never... in horns at least. I think he has a really good opportunity going into next season. I'm willing to pass on Watkins to see he gets it. This goes for Bailey and Givens, too.

Mack's stock arrow is pointing up, too.

lockdnram21

Legend
That's good enough for me, man. This is a make or break year for Quick. It may even be a contract year but not positive. It's now or never... in horns at least. I think he has a really good opportunity going into next season. I'm willing to pass on Watkins to see he gets it. This goes for Bailey and Givens, too.

Mack's stock arrow is pointing up, too.

yea i think our Wr corp as a whole will shock the Nfl next year . We just need to fix the line and get Bradford back. I like Watkins but to me Givens has a lot of his game. Not all but a lot and I think Givens is faster.

wrstdude

Rookie
Lol think some people are in for a shock then. Pass/run ratio in 3 games w/ Sammy:

Pass/Stacy attempts
34/14 - Vs Jax
16/18 - @ Hou
30/17 - @ Carolina

Team Rushing @ Houston was 24 attempts. Bradford technically had 17 attempts (1 called back for JJ watt offsides). Anyway, Bradford's last pass before the game was in hand was his touchdown to Brian Quick. Even with the Rams holding a lead the majority of the game (17-6 at half), this game was the closest to an even balance that they had (16/17 Pass attempts to stacy's 15 attempts)... They never passed again after this TD, which was at 7:46 in the 3rd quarter. They didn't get the ball back until 12 mins in the 4th quarter, which by then they were in run out the clock mode with the lead 38-6.

The Run Heavy offense the Rams ran with Clemens is not anywhere near remotely the same as what they run with Bradford.

I don't see the point in citing 3 games where Stacy was just emerging himself. I'm not sure how that is indicative of anything at all. Clemens doesn't hold a candle to Bradford as a passer, but a balanced offense is always preferred.

I'm not saying it the ratio will reverse 180 degrees, but it stands to reason, as Stacy has now proven himself, it will be closer to 1:1.

Alan

Legend
wrstdude with this:
I'm not saying it the ratio will reverse 180 degrees, but it stands to reason, as Stacy has now proven himself, it will be closer to 1:1.
I would agree with that, all things being equal. Bradford's a much better passer. Schotty calls a different game with Bradford in there. Will our D step up and give us the ball more often. Will an improvement in the O-line and the rest of the O lead to more games where we're trying to wind down the clock. Will we often be behind enough that we have to abandon the pass. Plus others I'm sure you could think of. I have no clue how this will play out. I agree with your contention that a balanced offense is preferred. Although with a slightly and ever increasing lean towards passing. With this offense I think they will try to balance it out so I think you're probably going to be reasonable close with your prediction.

VARAMS

UDFA
Name
Dano
If its available trade down the R1.2 pick no lower than 6 for a 2014 1st round, 2014 2nd round and 2015 pick (2nd or 3rd round). Depending on who is available we can get a potentially elite player. More than likely 2 - 3 qbs will be picked in top 6. That leaves Watkins, Robinson, Mack, Clowney or Matthews availabe. Any one of those who be a mighty tasty pick. Then add depth with the additional 2nd round pick.

Memphis Ram

Legend
...then I would like to see them trade Givens. Watkins would essentually replace what Givens provided and so much more. You could probably get back the 4th they spent on Givens or at least a 5th. This would especially be needed if they stick at #2 and take him. No sense having so many you g WRs in a ball control running game, so use that extra pock for depth elswhere or trade up ammo.

IMO, if the Rams draft Watkins, then they should have him compete against Givens for his starting spot. As a rookie, I'm not convinced that he'd win the job in a fair competition. He's still got to learn the offense, how to run routes, gain Bradford's trust, etc...

But, of course, such a selection that high would probably negate a fair competition, even though it shouldn't.:whistle:

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Stu's restaurant's name will become prophetic

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
I want to see them to. i also think Givens will bounce back from his slump. I think he has most of Watkins game not all but most and if works on it he can get all ofit. Givens is faster and i think part of the reason he wasnt effective early on was because we didnt have a run game. It msde it easier to key on him. Later in the seaon he looked like he was getting open more. i still envision Quick and Givens on the outside

If Watkins and Givens were even close we'd be talking about taking Watkins in the 4th round not 2nd overall. The only thing they really have in common is speed, and even that's deceptive since Givens is a long strider that has no wiggle and takes a long time to get up to speed where Watkins is more fluid and quicker. So far Givens has been a one trick pony but the defense limited that last season. He needs to drastically improve his routes, hands and reads to be a factor in this offense.
I'm not a big Watkins fan but the first time he stepped on a college field he was already better than Givens will ever be as a pro. And I really like Givens.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
If Watkins and Givens were even close we'd be talking about taking Watkins in the 4th round not 2nd overall. The only thing they really have in common is speed, and even that's deceptive since Givens is a long strider that has no wiggle and takes a long time to get up to speed where Watkins is more fluid and quicker. So far Givens has been a one trick pony but the defense limited that last season. He needs to drastically improve his routes, hands and reads to be a factor in this offense.
I'm not a big Watkins fan but the first time he stepped on a college field he was already better than Givens will ever be as a pro. And I really like Givens.

Yeah. I don't see much similarity between these players, at all.

Ramsey

Starter
Name
Ramsey
Chris Given's long ball, strong suit doesn't play well into Clement's arm. Givens should preform better with Bradford at the helm.

Still, if Sammy Watkins is the man, put him in horns!

PhxRam

Chris Given's long ball, strong suit doesn't play well into Clement's arm. Givens should preform better with Bradford at the helm.

Still, if Sammy Watkins is the man, put him in horns!

"Sweet Little Flower of Heavenly birth, you were too fair to bloom on earth"

iced

I don't see the point in citing 3 games where Stacy was just emerging himself. I'm not sure how that is indicative of anything at all. Clemens doesn't hold a candle to Bradford as a passer, but a balanced offense is always preferred.

You don't see the point in seeing how the offense was run with Bradford vs Clemens?

seriously? Stacy actually looked like a way better runner with Bradford - he had more burst, more pop... you can tell he was being worn down by the heavy work load of having to compensate for a backup qb who lacks reps and any sort of accuracy beyond 10 yards.

If any thing the Rams have shown us as a play caller, the only time they're close to a balanced attack was when they were up by 2 Tds... I expect them to get back to a 60/40 ratio with bradford under center. But to say this is going to be a running team isn't accurate.. Eagles, Seahawks - those are running teams.

Do you think the packers are going to suddenly switch to a run dominant team because they ran the hell out of the ball with Eddie Lacy while Aaron Rodgers was out? Hell no, same principle applies here..

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
We'll see how long it takes a hat to pass through a human digestive track